General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-12 1:11 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by maverickbassets

Originally posted by GatorDeb

Originally posted by roywidget

Originally posted by GatorDeb

It's NEXT WEEK people!!!!!!!! Eek!

So I'm one of those who needs the full 17 hours. I emailed them and told them, I know that your plan is to get everyone started by 7a, but what happens if for some reason the last portion of people is delayed and the last person starts the race after 7a, let's say 7:30a, does that person have until 12:30a to finish? And they said no, they only have 'til midnight regardless of start time. I don't want more or less time, I want 17 hours, and want to start closer to 7a.

How do you all think this is gonna work out? I'm a slower swimmer (and biker, and runner ha).

As an aside, does anyone know at what mile point the second cutoff for the swim and run are at? Thanks!

This is from the website under swim FAQ:

Will the bike and run cut-offs change according to the time of the final athlete entering the water?

No. Bike and run cut-offs are as follows:

Bike Cut-Offs
The first bike cut-off is at the start of the second loop of the bike course (56 mile marker) at 1:30 p.m. Any rider who has not reached the start of the second loop of the bike by 1:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. There is a second bike cut-off at the turnaround at Highway 95 (mile marker 92) at 4 p.m. Athletes that have
not reached the turnaround by 4 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. The bike course will close at 5:30 p.m. Athletes arriving at the bike dismount line after 5:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue.
Run Cut-Offs
The run cut-off will be at the halfway point (13.1 miles) of the run at 9 p.m. at the Lakeside turnaround. There is a second cut-off at Bennett Bay Hill at 10:30 p.m. (mile marker 19.7).
What happens if I finish before the midnight cut-off but I have a finish time of more than 17 hours?
IRONMAN Coeur d’Alene, athletes who finish before the midnight cut-off but have a finishing time of more than 17 hours will not be considered an official IRONMAN finisher and will not be eligible for age-group awards or for IRONMAN World Championship slots or Rolldown slots).

Ooohh they added the second mile markers, that wasn't there before, awesome. Still sucks that if you start after 7a you get less time, if something happens. I don't care who I have to run over, at 7a I'm jumping in lol Anyone else heard about that other IM that already had a tt start and whether everyone started before 7a?

Deb,
I would just stop worrying about it. I know that is really hard, but just do your best and if that means you finish in 17 or 18 hours who really cares? You have made the journey and the training is done so just enjoy the day and avoid things you can't change. I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that so I hope you don't take it that way. I just think the race is hard enough don't make it harder by worrying about the cutofs too much. If you give your best effort you can't control anything else.
Chris

Uhm, no worrying about the cutoffs, no race

And it's not the best effort, it's a calculated effort based on how the race is going and what distance I need to cover before the next cutoff.

2013-06-12 4:55 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by cnsegura

Originally posted by dkahns51

Originally posted by maverickbassets

I'm quickly becoming the king of skipped workouts. Decided it would be more fun to stay home with the wife and relax instead of as 60 minute run. I ownder how many of these work outs the next two weeks even matter other than to keep the gears moving.

I feel the same way... at this point i don't want to work out at all! I just want to do bare minimum till IM now. I skipped half my swim today but still managed to get my 1:15 on the bike in. And my coach looked over my plan(she didn't write it) and took away my rest day

Glad to know it's not just me. Had planned to do a 2.4 OWS today and about 300 yards from end of the first lap (2 laps to make 2.4 in the lake near by) I just decided to pack it in and go home for breakfast... Unfortunately I still have the appetite of someone that works out 15-20hrs a week so I'm doing these workouts more as a hedge against weight gain than any benefit to my race endurance.

Glad I'm not the only one. Also yes I really have to watch the appetite. I'm so used to consuming mass amounts to keep the fire stoked. Now with limited output I feel like some kind of sloth who justs wants to eat and sleep. Thanksfully I'm looking forward to biking in Yellowstone and running around Mt. Rushmore on the way out. That should at least get me off my arse. I'm past ready for this to happen.
2013-06-12 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
The lake is at 61 degrees this morning .

I'm hitting my workouts so far for this week but I am trying to pay close attention to how my body is feeling and not overdo it now.

I ordered the rest of my supplies from Amazon the other day and they should arrive tomorrow. I need to swap out my tires on my race wheels. I also need to give my bike a wash and good look over to make sure everything is in order.

I'll be putting together a list of items I need to have for the day and will start laying them out and packing them up to just unpack again and lay them all out again. I did that last year too and it always turned out to be the same that I had everything from the beginning.

2013-06-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: spie34

New user

Hayden
I was in at 0600 this am! It was still cold! Maybe it was you I spoke to in the water. Thank goodness it is 60 degrees this year..5 degrees colder and I am not sure my face would survive!
2013-06-13 9:10 AM
in reply to: fmclain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
10 day forecast is up. 78 Degrees and Partly Cloudy. That'll work quite nicely.
2013-06-13 11:03 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Hi everyone. I need some advice. My calcaneal bursitis and chronic calf cramps really flared up last night on an easy 4 mile run. I am starting physical therapy today.

How many days of absolute no running will eventually affect a marathons result?

2013-06-13 11:34 AM
in reply to: xatefrogg

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Sorry, I was looking at Saturday. Sunday is supposed to be 88 with 9mph winds. It will be int the mid 50's at start. So a tad hot.
2013-06-13 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

They're in town...

(cda.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cda.jpg (65KB - 20 downloads)
2013-06-13 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by xatefrogg

Sorry, I was looking at Saturday. Sunday is supposed to be 88 with 9mph winds. It will be int the mid 50's at start. So a tad hot.

Lot's of time yet and the forecast will change as we get closer.
2013-06-13 12:34 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Regular
Originally posted by MRGIBBS

Hi everyone. I need some advice. My calcaneal bursitis and chronic calf cramps really flared up last night on an easy 4 mile run. I am starting physical therapy today.

Do a short run next wednesday and call it good IMO. I don't think what you will miss now will hurt all that much. If you feel you need to supplement, swim an extra session or bike an extra session keeping the intensities lower.

I did a half marathon 5 years ago where I got sick 3 weeks before the race, took almost a week off of running, got back to running for only 2 days then sprained my ankle again couldn't run for about 7 days. I think I did a short run or two a couple days before the race and ended up having my best half marathon time for the course. Of course who knows how I would had been with time had I been able to train the whole 3 weeks left.

I guess my thought is would I rather be going into the race maybe missing a little bit of fitness or not be able to do the race because of injury or go into the race with issues and not be able to perform?
2013-06-13 11:22 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
saw that picture on their FB page today - suddenly it felt VERY real. Minor panic attack this morning

I only have 2 more workouts of any real duration remaining. 2hr bike tomorrow and 1.5 hr run on sunday. From then out it's mostly really short stuff. Race tires are on (sort of, had a bunch of issues with pinch flats getting them pumped up. Not sure what the problem is), most of my ancillary gear is in a big pile ready to be packed - shopping list created etc. All that's left is that pesky race thing.

2013-06-14 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by spie34

Do a short run next wednesday and call it good IMO. I don't think what you will miss now will hurt all that much. If you feel you need to supplement, swim an extra session or bike an extra session keeping the intensities lower.

I did a half marathon 5 years ago where I got sick 3 weeks before the race, took almost a week off of running, got back to running for only 2 days then sprained my ankle again couldn't run for about 7 days. I think I did a short run or two a couple days before the race and ended up having my best half marathon time for the course. Of course who knows how I would had been with time had I been able to train the whole 3 weeks left.

I guess my thought is would I rather be going into the race maybe missing a little bit of fitness or not be able to do the race because of injury or go into the race with issues and not be able to perform?

Not that it should make you feel any better, but my last long run was may 29th. Since then I've had some serious scheduling issues which resulted in only 3 runs since then and none longer than 8 miles.
I figure when I make it to the marathon I'll deal with it then. Just means I'll need to be smarter on the bike and not burn up my legs.
Good luck everyone. Leaving today around 3pm. I'll be in Spokane Wednesday.
Chris
2013-06-14 9:50 AM

User image

Regular

Leaving today around 3pm. I'll be in Spokane Wednesday.
Chris

Have a safe trip out to here.
2013-06-14 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

Been lurking on this page getting ready for CdA in 2014. In my opinion, with a grand total of 1 IM under my belt, you are much better off making sure you get to the starting line as healthy as possible. As they say, mos of the hay in in the barn at this point, and you aren't going to gain much fitness getting in an extra run at this point, and the downside of potentially aggravating the injury is much worse. Now, I don't know your goals or history, but for me, the IM run is much more about pacing the bike correctly than absolute run fitness. So concentrate on a smart ride to set up your run. Is this ideal? No, but it is what it is at this point. Trust your training up to now, and focus on staying positive the whole day.

Good luck and have a great race.
2013-06-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Spokane
Transitions question. Anyone know how these are laid out? I know you get 5 bags. So from swim do you grab your bag change in tent and then run to bike with shoes/helmet/everything on except for bike? What do you do with the wetsuit and bag after you empty it? Also off bike where do you put helmet and shoes?

Or is the transition laid out on the ground how you set it up and you drop everything next to where your bike is/will be?
2013-06-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular
You'll get your T1 bag, which has bike shoes, helmet, glasses, etc. The volunteer if you're lucky or you will stuff your swim gear back in the now empty bag and hand it to a volunteer. Run to your bike and off you go. Nothing except your bike will be by the racks. Dedicated transition spots.

2013-06-14 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dkahns51

Transitions question. Anyone know how these are laid out? I know you get 5 bags. So from swim do you grab your bag change in tent and then run to bike with shoes/helmet/everything on except for bike? What do you do with the wetsuit and bag after you empty it? Also off bike where do you put helmet and shoes?

Or is the transition laid out on the ground how you set it up and you drop everything next to where your bike is/will be?

After you get your suit peeled off, you'll turn left and go find your bag that are sorted in rows by your race number. There are volunteers there to help you find your bag and you can yell out your number. Go into changing tent to change what is necessary. I know a lot of people do a full change.

Coming back into T2, you'll drop your bike off to a volunteer to rack it for you, go get your run bag, change in the changing tent again and off you go.

Run special needs bag is up by the Zips there (at least they were there last year). Bike special needs is out towards the turnaround on the big loop.

2013-06-14 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
I know a little far out but looks like later this next week some rain but supposed to clear up on Saturday and then be the nicest on Sunday. Hmm will that be true or not?

2013-06-14 3:09 PM

User image

Spokane
Thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah weather looks like crap next week... but this forecast has been changing every day so it still really early to even look at Sunday.
Ohh ive gained 2.5lbs this week already i think im going to have to cut back untill 3 days before IM
2013-06-14 4:45 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I am swimming lake CDA tomorrow. Anyone else? 8 am? I am parking at NIC and probably will start at the NIC dock, as this weekend is Car-d alene.
2013-06-14 4:51 PM

User image

Spokane
Ill be biking for 2:30 tomorrow on a very very flat course aka centennial trail. I almost got creamed by a garbage truck on my last ride, tried to turn in front of me when i was in the bike lane then he had the nerve to honk at me like it was my fault. I tried stopping but couldnt because i was at 25mph so i skidded a little and then hopped on the curb to avoid hitting him.

2013-06-14 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Just a little something to get your blood pumpin if you haven't already seen this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzM5wVErb0
I have watched it probably 6 times since I signed up for this thing.
2013-06-15 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just got back from a nice little ride, first one since I got my bike back from it's tune up, new tire and chain, everything running smooth with the bike and me. Actually was feeling some weird aches and pains the past couple of days, they all went away on the ride.

It's almost here!
2013-06-16 1:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by xatefrogg Just a little something to get your blood pumpin if you haven't already seen this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzM5wVErb0I have watched it probably 6 times since I signed up for this thing.
Thanks, already watched that about four times, but not for several months... just watched it again and all of the sudden... crap... I'm gonna be there next Sunday!!!  Look out Zyemtsev, this 53 year old is pumped!!!

2013-06-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
1 week!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57