Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-08-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
Originally posted by noelle1230Switch, your novel was succinct in answering my questions!  What are your thoughts though on the carpeted studio?  The Bikrim studio is the only yoga studio I've ever attended that had a carpeted floor.
I think it's gross. Gotta find a place with no carpet. The place I go to now did a pretty green build out, and they used Marmoleum for the studio floor. I like it.

2013-08-16 11:21 AM

User image

Master

Oh, wow. I haven't checked in here for at least a week!!!  or more?  New people and pics Surprised

I'm just chugging along. Misses a few days here and there. Took my bday off core work and ate badly and enjoyed every bite. 

All the yoga talk is interesting. I go to a regular class twice a week and really enjoy it. LOVE how it makes my body feel all bendy. I've been invited to hot yoga several times, but I really don't like the heat so I haven't taken anyone up on it. If I wanted hot yoga, I'd just go outside for a session (108* today).Yell

Here's a little interesting workout I saw this morning. Looked like a few variations on some of our normal stuff...

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fitness/photos/calorie-blasting-kettlebell-kickboxing-workout#0

HAPPY FRIDAY!

2013-08-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Oh yeah, I forgot I have a question.  What are we considering core?  Can I have some landmarks please?  (I actually think this was discussed early on, but I am too lazy to go look.  Is it obvious why I am in this challenge?).  How much of the back muscles (or at least muscles on the back of me) are included in your core?  (man-o-man how did I ever get an A in anatomy...)
2013-08-16 12:27 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by noelle1230

Switch, your novel was succinct in answering my questions!  What are your thoughts though on the carpeted studio?  The Bikrim studio is the only yoga studio I've ever attended that had a carpeted floor.
Amy, which studio did you go to? I'll keep you posted on when I am in the area, and you can join me for a class at Orchard Lake & 12 mile if you want. Bring the hubs, I bet he'll love it. lol

I will say that I was very particular about which instructors I liked, too.
2013-08-16 12:31 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by bcraht

Oh yeah, I forgot I have a question.  What are we considering core?  Can I have some landmarks please?  (I actually think this was discussed early on, but I am too lazy to go look.  Is it obvious why I am in this challenge?).  How much of the back muscles (or at least muscles on the back of me) are included in your core?  (man-o-man how did I ever get an A in anatomy...)
My guess is that everyone here has a slightly different definition of this. I've been targeting anything that works the abs, obliques, and lower back muscles. My personal view on doing core work is that things like planks are part of what I will do, but push-ups fall under a separate workout, despite the fact that they involve a tight engaged core. I guess when I look at pushups, I see a focus on chest strength with the core being secondary.

Regardless, I think any way you want to define it is pretty much okay
2013-08-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Checking in for Thursday....

1 min each 15 sec rest in between 2 sets

Crunches
Superman
Plank
Spiderman leg in High Plank
Bicycle

Had some workout partners last night. They goofed off a lot but it was the most fun I have had with a workout in a while.

We were getting set up for our plank when this pic was taken, my form isn't usually that bad.

photo IMG_20130815_210333.jpg

2013-08-16 1:07 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Master

Originally posted by caffer Checking in for Thursday.... 1 min each 15 sec rest in between 2 sets Crunches Superman Plank Spiderman leg in High Plank Bicycle Had some workout partners last night. They goofed off a lot but it was the most fun I have had with a workout in a while. We were getting set up for our plank when this pic was taken, my form isn't usually that bad.  photo IMG_20130815_210333.jpg

Awesome!  My workout 'partners' have 4 legs and are usually crawling all over me...

2013-08-16 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by bcraht Oh yeah, I forgot I have a question.  What are we considering core?  Can I have some landmarks please?  (I actually think this was discussed early on, but I am too lazy to go look.  Is it obvious why I am in this challenge?).  How much of the back muscles (or at least muscles on the back of me) are included in your core?  (man-o-man how did I ever get an A in anatomy...)
My guess is that everyone here has a slightly different definition of this. I've been targeting anything that works the abs, obliques, and lower back muscles. My personal view on doing core work is that things like planks are part of what I will do, but push-ups fall under a separate workout, despite the fact that they involve a tight engaged core. I guess when I look at pushups, I see a focus on chest strength with the core being secondary. Regardless, I think any way you want to define it is pretty much okay :)

I think almost anything "can" count, but, like Brad, I try to do stuff that is mainly abs and low back for my ten minutes :)

2013-08-16 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by caffer Checking in for Thursday.... 1 min each 15 sec rest in between 2 sets Crunches Superman Plank Spiderman leg in High Plank Bicycle Had some workout partners last night. They goofed off a lot but it was the most fun I have had with a workout in a while. We were getting set up for our plank when this pic was taken, my form isn't usually that bad.  photo IMG_20130815_210333.jpg

This is so, so awesome!  My girls did the handstand challenge with me, and now they're better at them than I am :)

I think modelling fitness is one of the best things we can do for our kids.  When I look at my parents (both heavy smokers when I was growing up and not active at all). I feel very lucky that I had a little speed and a gym teacher who sat my mom down and gave her the 411.  Kinda scary to think about, actually.

2013-08-16 6:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by bcraht Oh yeah, I forgot I have a question.  What are we considering core?  Can I have some landmarks please?  (I actually think this was discussed early on, but I am too lazy to go look.  Is it obvious why I am in this challenge?).  How much of the back muscles (or at least muscles on the back of me) are included in your core?  (man-o-man how did I ever get an A in anatomy...)
My guess is that everyone here has a slightly different definition of this. I've been targeting anything that works the abs, obliques, and lower back muscles. My personal view on doing core work is that things like planks are part of what I will do, but push-ups fall under a separate workout, despite the fact that they involve a tight engaged core. I guess when I look at pushups, I see a focus on chest strength with the core being secondary. Regardless, I think any way you want to define it is pretty much okay

I agree that this will be different for everyone.  For me, I do include pushups because I like doing them and I feel a huge difference with my power in the water.  I'm still needing to be a little cautious with my ab work so I don't rip myself open.  Just kidding but I am making a lot of progress and introducing additional exercises that are not necessary direct core work but I think still fall into the spirit of the challenge.

My milestone will be a 50 day photo to see the difference so far.  Even if there isn't much visual change I do feel stronger and more solid in my s/b/r, especially swimming.  I'm also thinking that 100 days will just be the start.....

Have a good weekend everyone.  First ultra tomorrowCry

2013-08-16 8:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by popsracer

My guess is that everyone here has a slightly different definition of this. I've been targeting anything that works the abs, obliques, and lower back muscles. My personal view on doing core work is that things like planks are part of what I will do, but push-ups fall under a separate workout, despite the fact that they involve a tight engaged core. I guess when I look at pushups, I see a focus on chest strength with the core being secondary. Regardless, I think any way you want to define it is pretty much okay

I agree that this will be different for everyone.  For me, I do include pushups because I like doing them and I feel a huge difference with my power in the water.  I'm still needing to be a little cautious with my ab work so I don't rip myself open.  Just kidding but I am making a lot of progress and introducing additional exercises that are not necessary direct core work but I think still fall into the spirit of the challenge.

My milestone will be a 50 day photo to see the difference so far.  Even if there isn't much visual change I do feel stronger and more solid in my s/b/r, especially swimming.  I'm also thinking that 100 days will just be the start.....

Have a good weekend everyone.  First ultra tomorrowCry

wow! Good luck Steve!

2013-08-18 12:26 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Well, I'm normally a pretty humble guy but I have to self-profess that I was a BAMF today.  Hit 50 miles running with plenty of time to spare and I could not believe it but was 3rd overall.  Got a really cool engraved mug.  We are doing a little celebrating tonight so I'm going to have to take a pass from core just this once.
2013-08-18 12:42 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer Well, I'm normally a pretty humble guy but I have to self-profess that I was a BAMF today.  Hit 50 miles running with plenty of time to spare and I could not believe it but was 3rd overall.  Got a really cool engraved mug.  We are doing a little celebrating tonight so I'm going to have to take a pass from core just this once.

BAMF indeed! Awesome work Pops, congratulations.

2013-08-18 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by popsracer

Well, I'm normally a pretty humble guy but I have to self-profess that I was a BAMF today.  Hit 50 miles running with plenty of time to spare and I could not believe it but was 3rd overall.  Got a really cool engraved mug.  We are doing a little celebrating tonight so I'm going to have to take a pass from core just this once.
Nice work, pops! I also took yesterday off from core to ease up for my race today. I'll double up later today.
2013-08-18 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by popsracer Well, I'm normally a pretty humble guy but I have to self-profess that I was a BAMF today.  Hit 50 miles running with plenty of time to spare and I could not believe it but was 3rd overall.  Got a really cool engraved mug.  We are doing a little celebrating tonight so I'm going to have to take a pass from core just this once.
Nice work, pops! I also took yesterday off from core to ease up for my race today. I'll double up later today.

Looking forward to the RRs gentlemen :)

Steve!  That is some seriously strong work.  I hope your celebration was everything you wanted it to be and then some.  You have a lot to celebrate :)

FYI, we give a "pass" on core to anyone doing a race longer than 4 hours, so "technically" you have not missed any core!

2013-08-18 9:31 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by switch

Looking forward to the RRs gentlemen

Steve!  That is some seriously strong work.  I hope your celebration was everything you wanted it to be and then some.  You have a lot to celebrate

FYI, we give a "pass" on core to anyone doing a race longer than 4 hours, so "technically" you have not missed any core!

I'm skipping core today. I have 2 days to make up now. Here's the RR for my race.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

2013-08-18 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Steve!  That is some seriously strong work.  I hope your celebration was everything you wanted it to be and then some.  You have a lot to celebrate

I'm skipping core today. I have 2 days to make up now. Here's the RR for my race.

Okay, nix that. Couldn't let myself fall 2 days behind so I knocked out 10 minutes. Only 1 day behind. Will catch up in the next 2 days.
2013-08-19 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Here's the proper race link, as I originally forgot to make it public.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-19 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Good morning everyone. Quick check in, have a very busy day at work today

Love working out with my boys, they love doing exercises with me!

Was a crazy weekend. No abs at all....

Friday afternoon at work I felt a twinge in my back, weird I usually have no problems with my back. By Friday evening I was in bad shape and freaking out because y first Oly was on Sunday.

Took it easy and Popped Ibuprofen like it was candy on Friday night and Saturday.

Back was about 85% by Sunday morning, raced and met my goal of finishing in under 3 hours with a final time of 2:54. Will type up a full race report when I get a chance...

Good job Brad and Steve!!!!

2013-08-19 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Congrats to Steve, Brad and Chris on great races this weekend!!

Brad, the Bikram studio I attended is in Plymouth and I can't remember the name of it.  I can't find it online now so it may have closed.  I'm open to trying yours for sure.

2013-08-19 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Thanks everyone.

I just need to spend the offseason in the noelle speed school for poor runners!

Amy - I'll let you know the next time I am in the area to potentially try out Bikram.

2013-08-19 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Thanks everyone. I just need to spend the offseason in the noelle speed school for poor runners! Amy - I'll let you know the next time I am in the area to potentially try out Bikram.

You really crushed it Brad.  I'm pretty impressed.

I am still recovering and had a hard time getting out of bed Sunday.  Went to church in the morning and then the couch the rest of the day.  No core Frown.  I'm just too sore and tired.  Monday morning I'm still hobbling.  No injury just depleted.  I hope I can get in an easy swim or spin this evening and my core.

2013-08-19 12:52 PM

User image

Seattle

OK here is my latest RACE REPORT

I'm taking one more "off" week with no structured training and then I'll be diving into a serious strength running phase. In addition to the strength running (Hills, cross country etc.) I'll be focusing heavily on core and some functional leg strength exercises.

2013-08-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Okay, so I was 2nd place in my AG out of 19. The event was USAT certified. My understanding is that the top 10% of finishers in each AG qualify for AG Nationals. 2nd place out of 19 is not quite top 10% mathematically. I know there is some point where you do get rolled in. The question is: did this qualify me for next year?
2013-08-19 4:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Okay, so I was 2nd place in my AG out of 19. The event was USAT certified. My understanding is that the top 10% of finishers in each AG qualify for AG Nationals. 2nd place out of 19 is not quite top 10% mathematically. I know there is some point where you do get rolled in. The question is: did this qualify me for next year?

Probably. They seemed pretty lax in this situation last year. Although, who knows if things will change as demand increases.

Guess you will just have to go out there an lay down 1st Wink

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10580 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.