Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-03-01 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
Barry congrats on the run. I however put on my brand new runners and had the worst 10K I have had in a long time. I was about 4-5 minutes over my ususal time today.

2009-03-01 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Rob--don't worry, at least you got out there! I would chalk it up to that new shoe thing

Janet--that's such a good feeling, sometimes we are too hard on ourselves...we think we suck, but it's all relative!  All of us are at different levels looking to improve.

Barry- excellent job on the sub/freezing run!  i went ahead and did my run out at the lake.  it started out drizzling and then was pouring by the end.  Luckily the temps were in the 50's.  

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.  My dog is resting her snout on our cat in front of the heater...it's a Kodak moment  

2009-03-01 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1989691

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-01 2:44 PM

I just went for the BEST run of my life!  It was 32 degrees and snowing sideways.  After I started, I thought about just trying to make it a mile or so, because it was so bad, but it was really cool.  Anyway, after about a mile, I was thinking that I was feeling so good that I should try to make it  for the full long run.  That Forrest Gump feeling! 

Funny thing is...college kids were riding around thru campus throwing snowballs, and I seemed to be a good target to several.  All in good fun though.  So I ended up just shy of 9 miles which is my furthest run to date, and if my darned legs and calves could hold out, I feel like I could have kept going for miles...A good feeling.  The last couple of miles, my legs and calf were letting me know they had had enough.

It looks like both Barry and Janet had really good work out days today.  What a great feeling when everything is clicking!    Congrats you two.

Badger Game was fun and best of all we won!  The upcoming week is a big one for me so I am glad to have taken today off.  I just realized there are only seven weeks until my Spring Marathon! 

Enjoy what is left of the weekend.

2009-03-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1989894

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Whew, what a long day 10 mile run got home showered and changed, then back out the door for my fit which took about 3 hours.  He said I acutally did a pretty good job in putting it all together and just had to make some small adjustments to get things working optimally.

Not as steep as I would like to see myself but he said come back to him when I can put my palms down on the floor and then he will let me ride that steep.

LOL, Suzy we talked about you also,  his main concern over a custom bike is how will it handle for you.  He said if you could fit on a stock size you would be assured that the geometry had been thoroughly tested in wet, crappy, bumpy, windy, etc conditions.  Not saying that custom is bad but he said you should really test it out and see how it feels for you on the road vs sitting in a trainer.

Funny he also didn't like elite, he said there was better "bang for the buck" rides out there and the elite frames were pretty low tech compared to a lot of others.

2009-03-01 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1990096

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-03-01 6:36 PM

Whew, what a long day 10 mile run got home showered and changed, then back out the door for my fit which took about 3 hours.  He said I acutally did a pretty good job in putting it all together and just had to make some small adjustments to get things working optimally.

Not as steep as I would like to see myself but he said come back to him when I can put my palms down on the floor and then he will let me ride that steep.

LOL, Suzy we talked about you also,  his main concern over a custom bike is how will it handle for you.  He said if you could fit on a stock size you would be assured that the geometry had been thoroughly tested in wet, crappy, bumpy, windy, etc conditions.  Not saying that custom is bad but he said you should really test it out and see how it feels for you on the road vs sitting in a trainer.

Funny he also didn't like elite, he said there was better "bang for the buck" rides out there and the elite frames were pretty low tech compared to a lot of others.

Looks like you had quite the day. A 10 miler and the bike is now tuned and ready to go! It must feel really good to have built your bike from scratch. May I suggest a yoga class to allow you to touch the ground with your hands? or you could shrink to 4'10".  I have no problems doing it. Laughing  Of course, you would have bigger bike fit issues then.

Your fitter is right, being able to ride the bike before buying would be best.  The man and I were talking about the same thing at dinner.   Interesting about Elite.  It is the same thing my fitter said.  I am starting to think I might need to go Ti/Carbon to get the deal done. Time will tell.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-03-01 8:47 PM
2009-03-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1990500

User image

Champion

Actually I am going to start doing some yoga, I am not sure what happened to my flexibility.  Before I started doing Tri's last year I was doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 5 years and for me I had gotten pretty flexible.

What in Tri training causes you to beceome so un-flexible?  My fit guy said something about ITB issues, trying to touch my toes standing was a joke yesterday I wasn't even within a hands length.  I tried this morning sitting down to touch my toes which I had worked myself up to a few years ago and now I can't get close.

2009-03-02 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1990916

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-03-02 7:18 AM

Actually I am going to start doing some yoga, I am not sure what happened to my flexibility.  Before I started doing Tri's last year I was doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 5 years and for me I had gotten pretty flexible.

What in Tri training causes you to beceome so un-flexible?  My fit guy said something about ITB issues, trying to touch my toes standing was a joke yesterday I wasn't even within a hands length.  I tried this morning sitting down to touch my toes which I had worked myself up to a few years ago and now I can't get close.

C'mon DUDE!  I thought no one could be more inflexible than me.  I tried to touch my toes this morning and no problem.  If flexibility is going to hinder your riding that bike well, I can give you my shipping address

2009-03-02 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1991046

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-02 9:18 AM
dalessit - 2009-03-02 7:18 AM

C'mon DUDE!  I thought no one could be more inflexible than me.  I tried to touch my toes this morning and no problem.  If flexibility is going to hinder your riding that bike well, I can give you my shipping address

LOL!

I have never been overly flexible, I think it has to do with being so muscular all my muscles hit one another when I try to touch my toes...Laughing

Seriously though, I used to be more flexible, it probably didn't help that I ran 10 miles right before my fit so I was a bit sore when I went in.  Will get back to working on it so I can get rid of some of those spacers.  

2009-03-02 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

i'm just curious..  how many swimsuits do people usually go through per yr?  I'm on my 4th suit in 9.5months.  Am i not carring for them correctly? or is it normal??

2009-03-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1991193

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
trying1 - 2009-03-02 10:14 AM

i'm just curious..  how many swimsuits do people usually go through per yr?  I'm on my 4th suit in 9.5months.  Am i not carring for them correctly? or is it normal??

Hey Stanley you can get by with fewer if you don't mind when they wear through and people can view your privates. They might complain though.  Actually A lot depends on where you do your swimming. A pool with high chlorine content will wear out your suit sooner. Make sure you rinse them really well if you are in a pool. Hang them up and let them air dry too. Are you wearing a tri suit in which you run and bike too? That will of course wear them out sooner.

I went out and got a regular swim suit with resistance to chlorine for when I am doing techniques and use my tri suit only for my distance swims. Also for biking I use regular shorts and for running I use running shorts so my more costly tri suits last quite long.

2009-03-02 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-03-02 10:14 AM

Using my same suit from last year, over 150,000M pool swam/swum/swimmed in?

I get in the shower with it wash it off then dry.

Speedo swimsuit off the bargain rack at my local swim shop.  78% Nylon, 22% spandex.

Still going strong, can't see through them.

Do you wash them often (I don't) do you dry them in the dryer (never)

2009-03-02 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-03-02 9:14 AM

Really? what are they made from?  I rotate between a couple of poly suits, but one can easily last me a year or more.  My pool is saline, not chlorine which probably helps. I do use the little drying machine which some people says wrecks suits. I also wash mine after every use in regular detergent on cold, but don't dry it.

2009-03-02 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hi gang.  It is snowing in North Carolina so (like in Georgia) the whole state has shut down again.  That's fine, I need the day off.  I think I am fighting a sinus infection.  I feel horrible.  Sorry if I gave the impression my work 5k race was Friday, it was Saturday morning in the rain.  I was cheated out of the full distance (it was only 2.85miles) and therefore came in second.  I was beat going up the last hill and then there was no more distance to catch back up!  Oh well. I had another PB for pace so I am pleased and encouraged with my running progress.  Now for some long runs. 

2009-03-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1991331

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-03-02 9:52 AM

Hi gang.  It is snowing in North Carolina so (like in Georgia) the whole state has shut down again.  That's fine, I need the day off.  I think I am fighting a sinus infection.  I feel horrible.  Sorry if I gave the impression my work 5k race was Friday, it was Saturday morning in the rain.  I was cheated out of the full distance (it was only 2.85miles) and therefore came in second.  I was beat going up the last hill and then there was no more distance to catch back up!  Oh well. I had another PB for pace so I am pleased and encouraged with my running progress.  Now for some long runs. 

Hey, if you came in second your podiumed!  Congrats. How big was the purse?

Sounds like you NE folks are going to be in for a whopper!  Even though it is only 8F, I see all the grass in my backyard and it is supposd to be almost 50F on Thursday.  I'm thinking Friday is an outdoor run for sure. 

Tracey, I hope you feel better soon.

2009-03-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1991345

User image

Champion
Great job Tracy.  Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, I am still waiting for the last remnants of my cold to go away.
2009-03-02 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1991322

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-03-02 10:50 AM
trying1 - 2009-03-02 9:14 AM

Really? what are they made from?  I rotate between a couple of poly suits, but one can easily last me a year or more.  My pool is saline, not chlorine which probably helps. I do use the little drying machine which some people says wrecks suits. I also wash mine after every use in regular detergent on cold, but don't dry it.

Thanks for the replys..  It sounds like i do pretty much the same as everyone else..  After a swim I rinse them through and at home hang dry them (though, I don't wash them with detergent).  I think I have the standard poly/spandex blend suits.. I've used both speedo and TYR jammers (TYR seem to be a little better for me).  Maybe NYC pools use more chlorine to compensate for all the kids that use them..  hmm that's a thought that I wish I didn't have.. 

2009-03-02 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1991331

User image

Extreme Veteran
tahrens - 2009-03-02 10:52 AM

Great job on the PB..  I saw you had a cold swim afterwards too!  very impressive.. 

I need to find a place for a cold swim..  My first tri in May, the water is supposed to be between 55-59F..  i'm not looking forward to that cold swim.. i'm not sure how you even prepare for that...

2009-03-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1992091

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-03-02 2:02 PM

Great job on the PB..  I saw you had a cold swim afterwards too!  very impressive.. 

I need to find a place for a cold swim..  My first tri in May, the water is supposed to be between 55-59F..  i'm not looking forward to that cold swim.. i'm not sure how you even prepare for that...

Holy Cow that is cold! When I swim in our lake up north it is about 60-65F until August.  I usually burp my wetsuit, do a few bobs and float on my back before starting to swim a few strokes to get used to things. It gets rid of that cold response.  I did not know those things at the beginning of last year and had what felt like a panic attack.  It was so cold, I could not breathe in the water at all.  

2009-03-02 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1992191

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-03-02 3:53 PM
trying1 - 2009-03-02 2:02 PM

Holy Cow that is cold! When I swim in our lake up north it is about 60-65F until August.  I usually burp my wetsuit, do a few bobs and float on my back before starting to swim a few strokes to get used to things. It gets rid of that cold response.  I did not know those things at the beginning of last year and had what felt like a panic attack.  It was so cold, I could not breathe in the water at all.  

Thanks!  good to know.  My first tri during last Oct, the water was around 65F and i thought that was cold..  I had the same sensation you had, though i think it was partly because of the cold and i had mistakenly drifted towards the front of the wave and sprinted the first 150-200yrds to avoid the stampede of swimmers and realized that i still had a long way to go.  I basically did everything wrong during my first tri..  I can't imagine how cold 55-59f is..  One person suggested taking only cold showers leading-up to the race, though i'm not sure i like that one..  All I know is, my friend who convinced me to do the tri at the end of May with him vs one in late June owes me a huge beer after the race..

2009-03-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1992322

User image

Champion
Yeah for mooseman in June they are saying 60's and I am wondering if I should pick up a neoprene swim cap, ear plugs and neoprene boots, I don't like cold.
2009-03-02 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I'm not into cold either. I get a wet suit on if the water is below about 70F.

Congrats on the race Tracy. Good to hear about another PB. Any one else have a PB recently? We should be starting to see some now that the spring training is underway. I did not have a PB today in the pool. Did a relaxed swim.  Just focused on my technique.

2009-03-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1992332

User image

Extreme Veteran

dalessit - 2009-03-02 4:51 PM Yeah for mooseman in June they are saying 60's and I am wondering if I should pick up a neoprene swim cap, ear plugs and neoprene boots, I don't like cold.

I bought a neoprene cap(blueseventy) over the weekend... it's very tight around the chin/neck, i feel like it's choking me..  I may return it and opt for a different brand that has a velcro closure..  the people that organize the ironclad race recommend wearing the neoprene boots, i've never seen the boots before.

2009-03-02 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1992091

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
trying1 - 2009-03-02 3:02 PM

Last year my hubby and I did a race in very cold water.  The biggest lesson he learned from the experience was to be sure to get your face wet before you start.  He waded out and his feet and hands were okay, but he didn't put his face in the water until he started and then he had a very difficult time catching his breath!  My trick for that swim was to pee in my wetsuit when I was in the water waiting for the start.  Yes, I'll admit it.  It felt so good too.  I was curtious enough to line up in the back so people didn't have to swim through me - so if you want to start in the front be sure to keep this tip a secret from your fellow racers!

2009-03-02 7:03 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I highly recommend 2 swim caps!  This makes a world of difference!  Be careful.  You may find that you are REALLY dizzy coming out of cold water.  Your equilibrium is totally thrown off in the cold water.  The 2 caps will help keep your "head on straight!"
2009-03-02 8:40 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Great job on the pb, Tracy!  And a cold swim, yikes!  That is the one thing I am dreading.  The coach who taught my TI class has a group that meets down at the bay front every Monday night for open water swims starting next Monday.  It is 52 degrees in the bay right now!!!  I have told myself that I can skip the first few weeks til it gets to 55 or so, but I am so not looking forward to cold freezing ows!  But last year, I wimped out and had a really bad ows in my first oly.  This year I am very committed to at least trying.  But why does it have to be soooo cold!  I did buy a neoprene cap and my wetsuit is nice and warm, so I'm going to suck it up.  On the bright side, I had a pb on swim distance today of 3000 yds.  

Stanley, I like the 100% poly suits...they hold up well.  For speedo, it is their endurance line.  My current suit has lasted 200,000 yds!  Then again, my chlorine level at the college pool I swim at is quite low compared to the city pools I swim in occasionally.  I do what you do, just rinse in cold water. No soap, just hang dry.  I don't use those spinner thingies either.  They massacred my first lycra blend suit.

Stay warm all of you midwest/east coasters!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73