BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-11 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4212573

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod

O.k. guys I'm back from Kansas and can give a quick report on the grueling day.  I'll try to post a RR in the coming days.

This was by far the hardest race I've ever done!  

The swim ended up NOT being wetsuit legal.  The lake temperature was like 76.8 degrees and the cut off is 76.1 degrees  I looked out at the water and saw how choppy it was.  I decided to wear my wetsuit as I knew I wasn't expecting any podium awards, LOL.  Because of this decision, I ended up having to start in the LAST wave.  By that time the wind was picking up a bit and the choppy waves looked intimidating.  So I started my swim with the wetsuit wearers and it started out scary.  I kept inhaling a bunch of water every time I turned to take a breath.  I had to stop and hang on to the bouy to catch my breath.  My heart rate was high and my breathing was rapid.  After what seemed like a minute or so, I calmed down and started swimming again.  I felt calm and got into a rhythm.  The water was so choppy I had to sight constantly to make sure I wasn't going off course.  Finally after what seemed like forever, I saw the swim finish.  52 minutes!!  Yikes!  I have to tell you though, that wearing the wetsuit was the best decision I made!!  I honestly don't think I would have been able to complete the swim with out it.   

The bike was brutal!  The wind gusts were up to 30mph.  I really thought I was going to fly off the bike.  I kept thinking about the winds picking me up and sending me to the land of OZ, LOL.  The uphills were just epic with the headwinds and crosswinds.  But I was proud of myself for biking up every hill without stopping.   After 3 hours and 39 minutes later, I knew this was going to be a loooong day.

I knew I was in trouble when I got into T2.  I sat down to put my shoes on and my legs were starting to cramp.  I took in a gel and drank some gatorade but I knew It was probably too late.  I started the run slow.  After a half mile, I had to walk.  My legs were hurting, it was hot, I was feeling bad, and I had 12 miles to go.  I walked to the aid station and took in more fluids.  I decide to try and jog to every aid station and walk through the aid stations.  It was by far my worst run experience.  My legs cramped off and on throughout the whole race.  I kept telling myself to move forward.  Dammit, I didn't drive 9 hours to not get my finishers medal.  I was going to finish!  After a long 2 hours and 55 minutes (not a typo), I crossed the yellow brick road to the finish!!  I felt light headed and a volunteer sat me down and gave me a bunch of water.  I sat there for a few minutes and got my bearings.  My family found me and congratulated me.  I was so glad to be done!!

Overall the race was well organized with AMAZING volunteers.  The crowd support was phenomenal.   I'm not going to lie and say I'm not disappointed with my performance.  My run was a demoralizing experience.  This was my second HIM and aside from the hot weather, the races were very different beasts.  The big picture is, I finished and I am proud of that accomplishment. There will be other races.  Thank you all for your support and well wishes.  It means a lot to me.  

2012-06-11 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4256396

User image

Master
cggale - 2012-06-11 3:41 PM

O.k. guys I'm back from Kansas and can give a quick report on the grueling day.  I'll try to post a RR in the coming days.

The swim ended up NOT being wetsuit legal.  The lake temperature was like 76.8 degrees and the cut off is 76.1 degrees  I looked out at the water and saw how choppy it was.  I decided to wear my wetsuit as I knew I wasn't expecting any podium awards, LOL.  Because of this decision, I ended up having to start in the LAST wave.  By that time the wind was picking up a bit and the choppy waves looked intimidating.  So I started my swim with the wetsuit wearers and it started out scary.  I kept inhaling a bunch of water every time I turned to take a breath.  I had to stop and hang on to the bouy to catch my breath.  My heart rate was high and my breathing was rapid.  After what seemed like a minute or so, I calmed down and started swimming again.  I felt calm and got into a rhythm.  The water was so choppy I had to sight constantly to make sure I wasn't going off course.  Finally after what seemed like forever, I saw the swim finish.  52 minutes!!  Yikes!  I have to tell you though, that wearing the wetsuit was the best decision I made!!  I honestly don't think I would have been able to complete the swim with out it.   

The bike was brutal!  The wind gusts were up to 30mph.  I really thought I was going to fly off the bike.  I kept thinking about the winds picking me up and sending me to the land of OZ, LOL.  The uphills were just epic with the headwinds and crosswinds.  But I was proud of myself for biking up every hill without stopping.   After 3 hours and 39 minutes later, I knew this was going to be a loooong day.

I knew I was in trouble when I got into T2.  I sat down to put my shoes on and my legs were starting to cramp.  I took in a gel and drank some gatorade but I knew It was probably too late.  I started the run slow.  After a half mile, I had to walk.  My legs were hurting, it was hot, I was feeling bad, and I had 12 miles to go.  I walked to the aid station and took in more fluids.  I decide to try and jog to every aid station and walk through the aid stations.  It was by far my worst run experience.  My legs cramped off and on throughout the whole race.  I kept telling myself to move forward.  Dammit, I didn't drive 9 hours to not get my finishers medal.  I was going to finish!  After a long 2 hours and 55 minutes (not a typo), I crossed the yellow brick road to the finish!!  I felt light headed and a volunteer sat me down and gave me a bunch of water.  I sat there for a few minutes and got my bearings.  My family found me and congratulated me.  I was so glad to be done!!

Overall the race was well organized with AMAZING volunteers.  The crowd support was phenomenal.   I'm not going to lie and say I'm not disappointed with my performance.  My run was a demoralizing experience.  This was my second HIM and aside from the hot weather, the races were very different beasts.  The big picture is, I finished and I am proud of that accomplishment. There will be other races.  Thank you all for your support and well wishes.  It means a lot to me.  

Wow, another really tough race that a Manatee pushed through!  Great job, Claire.  Look forward to reading the RR.

2012-06-11 5:58 PM

User image

Elite
cggale - 2012-06-11 5:41 PM

Way to go to finish!  sounds like a similar time to mine - we have to learn to manage the heat related cramping.  I'm going to start with more gels in the summer - I never use them usually because I hate the texture, but I'm going to have to do so.  Also salt tabs.

Anyway - you deserve that finisher's medal, well done.

2012-06-11 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4256132

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-06-11 4:43 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-12 3:41 AM
TriAya - 2012-06-11 3:39 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-12 3:30 AM
Tripopo - 2012-06-11 3:21 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-11 3:46 PM

Well, I had a pretty wild weekend. 

Ran lots, worked a local 5K with PowerBar, biked some and we got our project funded on kickstarter. We raised 18K in a month!

I just need a final push to get me through the next week and a half and then I am on vacation, followed by marathon taper. Phew. Thank goodness. 

Salty on taper madness!?!?!  MUST MAKE POPCORN

well done on the kickstarter

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more mad! Smile

I think I might have to run and hide then ... at least that way I'd get some running done ...

Better start runnin' now!

Wait, no, I didn't tell you to run when your sick. Go to bed. 

I am in bed. Passed out at 9pm (after having slept the whole day anyway) but now I can't sleep again.

Also, how can we be out of rice? RICE?!?!

No idea.  I am somehow also out of rice.  2 months ago I had like 5 pounds of it.

2012-06-11 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, I am going to try again with the pix.

(kens lake.JPG)

(race course.JPG)

(race course 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
kens lake.JPG (42KB - 8 downloads)
race course.JPG (53KB - 6 downloads)
race course 2.JPG (49KB - 4 downloads)
2012-06-11 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=445328 (warning: lots of typos!!)

race report is up.

Here are some highlights:

-wore my wetsuit (a very last minute decision) and was 1st in my AG in the swim...ablsolute SHOCK!

-thought of Yanti's words "...redlining all the way" and tried to keep my effort high on the bike

-again thought of Yanti's words "sprints are pukefests" as I was puking my guts out at the finish.

Overall, a great race and a 3rd place finish in my AG! (I can hardly believe it!! But, it was a pretty small race.

Congrats on everyone else's races this weekend - looks like there were some great races and some epic finishes - way to push through everyone.  I've had some CRAPPY races, and let me tell you, those hard days make the good ones even more sweet.  So, way to finish but also, way to go to use your mind to stay safe.  And I'm happy to hear that some of you who didn't race this weekend had some fantastic days too!! 

Yay for summer, peeps.  Carry on training hard and having fun!!

Edited by TriRx 2012-06-11 9:13 PM

2012-06-11 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The others were the race course.  This one is from my leisurely bike ride this morning:

(colorado river.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
colorado river.jpg (52KB - 4 downloads)
2012-06-11 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4255565

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-11 12:25 PM

I had an awesome weekend! Had an amazing dinner at a new restaurant with my DH Friday night, riding lesson Saturday morning (worked on no stirrup work on a super comfy and slow mare), then the garden tour with my stepmom - we saw some AMAZING gardens, land that could have been 10 people's back yards.  And the weather was just perfect, sunny and 78, no humidity.  We had some wine and cheese and crackers back at her house on the patio then pizza, then I went home to watch 2 episodes of Mad Men and repair my wetsuit (oops, I ripped it 3x the first day I put it on).  Sunday I got up at 7am for a really nice, quiet, back roads 25 mile bike ride (longest distance yet!) with a group of women I met through my tri coached workouts, then a couple of us went for a short swim in a nearby lake.  I was really proud of myself, I swam back in to shore and barely stopped, letting myself use set amounts of recovery strokes in between freestyle. I need to keep doing that, eventually I'll be able to go the 1500m for my OLY! After that I was all energized, so I weeded my front garden, then went shopping for groceries, flowers and mulch, a new summer bed quilt, and some storage furniture for the house. Came back home and planted the new flowers and mulched, ended my day at 8:00pm with firecracker chicken wings and extra spciy cajun fries Laughing Such a great weekend!!

Fantastic! I love how a great workout energizes us.

You can come weed in my yard if you find that you run out at your house and feel energetic again. Wink

2012-06-11 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4255399

User image

Master
Central Kansas

rrrunner - 2012-06-11 11:27 AM I'm still struggling mentally/emotionally with my performance Saturday. I read this RR from a man who did the Xterra sport. I thought I'd share some excerpts from his report. I had to do two laps of the run he describes.

That run just sounds crazy, TJ. Sand is horrible to run in -- add elevation gain, wind, and tired legs from a difficult bike ride. It's a little sucky that they threw the xterra run into your race.

Just think. You survived Moab. You can do anything!! You are awesome.

2012-06-11 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4255953

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-06-11 2:46 PM

Well, I had a pretty wild weekend. 

Ran lots, worked a local 5K with PowerBar, biked some and we got our project funded on kickstarter. We raised 18K in a month!

I just need a final push to get me through the next week and a half and then I am on vacation, followed by marathon taper. Phew. Thank goodness. 

Congratulations on getting your project funded. It sounds great.

I won't comment about vacation -- even though we haven't gone anywhere yet (well, I haven't -- my husband spent a week in Utah visiting family a couple weeks ago), the two of us are "officially" off work until August 1. Don't hate me too much.

2012-06-11 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
cggale - 2012-06-11 5:41 PM

I think you did a great job, Claire.

I had to laugh about your worry on the bike. I actually think about that when I'm riding in the crazy winds we have (and yes. It's been like that practically every day for the past few weeks where I live. I am so sick of it I could spit.) I tell myself, "Okay. I'll keep riding, but if I see a cow flying by, I'm heading home."

I also had to smile at the yellow brick road finish. I am going to do Kansas 70.3 not only because it's the closest to me but because I love the yellow brick road at the end.

It was brutally hot Sunday. I went out for an 8 mile run, and between the heat and the wind, I was done at 7.5 miles. I had to keep going to get home, but I couldn't have run another mile. Just miserable.

2012-06-11 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4256740

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rrrunner - 2012-06-11 9:06 PM

It's beautiful, TJ. But that last picture, with that uphill sandy trail, made my stomach turn a little. Ouch.

2012-06-11 11:14 PM
in reply to: #4254373

User image

Master

melbo55 - 2012-06-10 5:32 PM How can I post a picture into my blog?  I did it once, months ago but I can't seem to re-figure it out...anyone?  A little help?

Did you ever get any help with this Melanie?  I did post a pic awhile back, but I remember it being difficult to do, so I am no help whatsoever.  Sorry!

2012-06-11 11:16 PM
in reply to: #4256740

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2012-06-11 7:06 PM

Beautiful pics.  Sorry they all represent such a tough day!! Wink

2012-06-11 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Finally got my bike outside after my fit last week.  Nothing felt right on the one trainer ride I got in last week, but after my back adjustment and being outside, it felt good.  Didn't feel like I was reaching on my left.  Left leg still fatigued easier but didn't expect that to disappear overnight.  Shoulders a bit sore too, but just body getting used to things I think.  Today, for the first time in a few weeks, I feel as though I had a good training day.  And I got to try on my new wetsuit to top off the day.  Nice way to start off the week. Laughing
2012-06-12 12:17 AM

User image

Elite

Finally moved myself - it's a glorious Melbourne winter day.  Started at around 0degrees Celsius but brilliant sunshine so by lunch time it was lovely - yeah still cold I wore my long sleeve top the whole run very unusual.  I did 2:1 run/walk and did 6km in around 40mins, not my fastest but i felt energised and that some cobwebs and emotional baggage blew away.

I've been anxious and jittery today too - and its's a physical feeling not a mental one, not worried about anything (except IM in 40weeks!).  I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach the whole time and that adrenalin is pumping.  It's now 3pm and the feeling has abated a little.  I have no idea what causes this - taking out the caffeine tomorrow maybe that's it?

Anyway - I'm no longer borderline hysterical today just quietly calm.  I think the run helped.  Tonight a 45min drainer ride.

Jo

x

2012-06-12 12:28 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I, uh, found the rice. We have so much of it in fact that it's in a big covered bucket next to the dog and cat food covered buckets. Well, how am I supposed to know it's rice in there if I can't see it?!

Heh.

2012-06-12 12:30 AM
in reply to: #4256927

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-06-11 10:28 PM

I, uh, found the rice. We have so much of it in fact that it's in a big covered bucket next to the dog and cat food covered buckets. Well, how am I supposed to know it's rice in there if I can't see it?!

Heh.

As long as you figured it out prior to cooking...pet food gets mushy in the rice cooker.

2012-06-12 12:37 AM
in reply to: #4256928

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2012-06-12 12:30 PM

Heh.

As long as you figured it out prior to cooking...pet food gets mushy in the rice cooker.

The voice of experience?

I'm pretty out of it but at this moment I can still tell the difference between commercial pet food and rice. If I start chewing on dog kibble (NO I have NEVER done that before ever ever nope) it's definitely time to go to the doctor.

2012-06-12 12:42 AM
in reply to: #4256931

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-06-11 10:37 PM

Heh.

The voice of experience?

I'm pretty out of it but at this moment I can still tell the difference between commercial pet food and rice. If I start chewing on dog kibble (NO I have NEVER done that before ever ever nope) it's definitely time to go to the doctor.

I am not allowed to touch the rice cooker.  Ever since I put Basmati in with Jasmine.  I have a Singaporean... 

2012-06-12 12:47 AM
in reply to: #4256936

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2012-06-12 12:42 PM

Heh.

The voice of experience?

I am not allowed to touch the rice cooker.  Ever since I put Basmati in with Jasmine.  I have a Singaporean... 

There's actually a blend (or perhaps strain) of rice called Jasmati! Asians sure are stuck up about our rice purity, though. And availability.

Oooh, Singapore. That's where we export all our rich Indonesians.

P.S. Ha ha ha, come to think of it ... that's what the U.S. does as well.

Edited by TriAya 2012-06-12 12:49 AM

2012-06-12 12:50 AM
in reply to: #4256942

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-06-11 10:47 PM
bcraht - 2012-06-12 12:42 PM

Heh.

The voice of experience?

There's actually a blend (or perhaps strain) of rice called Jasmati! Asians sure are stuck up about our rice purity, though. And availability.

Oooh, Singapore. That's where we export all our rich Indonesians.

I just told her about Jasmati.  The response: "We are not getting any"  Bahahahahahahahahah

2012-06-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4256901

User image

Pennsylvania
bcraht - 2012-06-12 12:14 AM

melbo55 - 2012-06-10 5:32 PM How can I post a picture into my blog?  I did it once, months ago but I can't seem to re-figure it out...anyone?  A little help?

Did you ever get any help with this Melanie?  I did post a pic awhile back, but I remember it being difficult to do, so I am no help whatsoever.  Sorry!

I asked Janyne what she did and she gave me directions as to how to do it using an online photo storage site like flikr or picasa.  But I swear when I did it last time I didn't use a website (since I don't have accounts on any) but some how found out how to post them to my blog from my own album?!?  I should've written down the instructions... :/

2012-06-12 8:22 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
cggale - 2012-06-11 6:41 PM

Overall the race was well organized with AMAZING volunteers.  The crowd support was phenomenal.   I'm not going to lie and say I'm not disappointed with my performance.  My run was a demoralizing experience.  This was my second HIM and aside from the hot weather, the races were very different beasts.  The big picture is, I finished and I am proud of that accomplishment. There will be other races.  Thank you all for your support and well wishes.  It means a lot to me.  

That says it all!!!  Huge congrats on toughing out the day, persevering and finishing! You are one tough cookie!

2012-06-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4256750

User image

Pennsylvania
TriRx - 2012-06-11 10:11 PM

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=445328 (warning: lots of typos!!)

race report is up.

Here are some highlights:

-wore my wetsuit (a very last minute decision) and was 1st in my AG in the swim...ablsolute SHOCK!

-thought of Yanti's words "...redlining all the way" and tried to keep my effort high on the bike

-again thought of Yanti's words "sprints are pukefests" as I was puking my guts out at the finish.

Overall, a great race and a 3rd place finish in my AG! (I can hardly believe it!! But, it was a pretty small race.

Congrats on everyone else's races this weekend - looks like there were some great races and some epic finishes - way to push through everyone.  I've had some CRAPPY races, and let me tell you, those hard days make the good ones even more sweet.  So, way to finish but also, way to go to use your mind to stay safe.  And I'm happy to hear that some of you who didn't race this weekend had some fantastic days too!! 

Yay for summer, peeps.  Carry on training hard and having fun!!

Awesome job on the swim and also the podium, woooooo!!  Very nice job!  Sounds like you really pushed yourself.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80