General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-08-19 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3052618

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
I'm fast enough that unless I have the day from hell I won't have a problem with the cut offs and not fast enough to be anywhere even close to the top half of my age group.  I am placing more importance on comfort than time.

Plan:

Swim - swimsuit and wetsuit (I will have my sports bra on under my swimsuit
Bike - bike shorts and bike jersy
Run - running shorts and a tank top.  Will likely have a long sleave shirt in my special needs bag in case I get cold.  unless I am walking a lot, I shouldn't need it.

2010-08-19 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3053059

User image

Champion
MA
bar92 - 2010-08-19 2:23 PM Yes, it's time to start thinking about what to wear on race day.  In all my training and previous racing, I go with 2 pieces.  Tri shorts are worn for everything - even during century rides, so I know I'll wear tri shorts.  I always have to pee at some point on the bike and I don't want to mess with a one piece.  

For me, however, I'm trying to decide what kind of top I want.  All my past racing has been with tri tops - some with built in bras and others with a sports bra underneath.  I had toyed with the idea of creating a custom jersey so my family could spot me well, but am running out of time for that.  The other thing.....all my tri jerseys have small pockets.  I don't plan on carrying much stuff on the run, but have been training with cliff shot blocks.  If I carry those I'll need more room than one small pocket on a tri jersey.  For you females, if you have a tri jersey with big or multiple pockets, where did you get it?  Do any of you wear a tight fitting bike jersey instead so you have the extra pocket space?  I figure it wouldn't create drag on the swim because it would be under the wetsuit.  Thoughts?

Also, speaking of the cliff shot blocks and nutrition.....

I know we had the discussion a while back about salt tablets.  When I went to stock up on nutrition the other day I saw the Nuun tablets and almost bought some to experiment with because of the heat we've been having here (over 100 with heat index over 108).  I don't think I will need them for the bike because I am using Infinit.  If I need them, it would be for the run.

Right now on my training runs, I am doing water with cliff shot blocks every 20 minutes.  It works for me.  I can't do straight gatorade because it upsets my stomach, but I can do it every so often in small quantities.  I bought some of the Powerbar Endurance to see how I do with that as I plan on living off the course for the run, with the exception of the shot blocks.

When I looked at the Nuun tablets, it looks like you need to dissolve one in at least 16 oz of water.  That would mean carrying a water bottle on the run which I do not want to do.   For those of you that use the Nuun tablets or other salt tablets, do you carry bottles with you?  Is there some kind of tablet that could be carried and then taken with water from the course?  Since Florida won't be as hot, I may be ok without it, but would like to try it now just in case.

Sorry for the long post. 

Nuuns have a crease in them that you can break in in half. I put a half a tablet into a 8 or 10 oz fuel belt  bottle for running. I like them for all my training and I use it always in water as I never drink just plain water.

I have three tri tops that have bike jersey type of pockets. My favorite is discontinued Oomph! top that I have in 2 colors as pockets are in same place as most bike jerseys but the top is shorter. I just got a DeSoto Forza top that has three pockets...top runs tight but is longer.

I love bike jersey pockets so I like tri tops with three back pockets for IMs or HIMs. I have worn tight fitting bike jerseys in tris before I found the Oomph ones.

Check out someplace like tri sports.com as they carry many brands. If you call they are great at knowing their stock and which might fit your desires.
2010-08-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3053644

User image

Expert
jashac - 2010-08-19 6:19 PM
I got into the changing tent at T2.  Opened my bag and got my run shorts out.  Grabbed my bike shorts by the waistband, bent over and stripped them down to my ankles.  THEN I noticed, looking between my naked legs, that I could see directly out of the changing tent door to the transition area.   Surprised  I felt a little... exposed.  It didn't take me long to get into the run shorts.

My husband and I just had a good laugh at this...

I just realized that I have the first post on the last 3 pages.  Go me
2010-08-19 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Master
I'm planning on wearing a one piece tri suit this year. Last year I changed into bike shorts for the bike and then another pair of tri shorts for the run. I'll put extra clothes in my T1 and T2 bags but don't plan on using them. Last year I wore arm warmers on the bike.

It was very dark in the back half of the park last year. A few people tripped over the cones during the run. I would recommend bringing some sort of a headlight or light if you'll be on the run course at night.
2010-08-20 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Austin
I'll be doing 2XU tri shorts and a tri top. Haven't decided if I'll go with the top I currently have or pick up another one. Those will both go under the wetsuit, then throw on arm warmers for the bike and have a change of socks and a long sleeve in the sn bag for the run.
2010-08-21 7:17 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Sleepy on the bike today!  After 4 hours I just wanted to pull over and take a nap!  Happens sometimes.  Tried to suck in more calories, but to no avail.  Guess I was just....sleepy!  Another bigish day tomorrow then a taper for oly week!  woohoo, I will be ready.

How's everyone's training going this weekend?? 

2010-08-21 9:59 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas

This may be a silly question, but when I've been to IMs in the past, I see lots of family wearing custom made tshirts supporting their athlete on race day.  I'd like to do something like this so I can spot my family.  Where would one go about having t-shirts made and such???

2010-08-21 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3056780

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
Mimir98 - 2010-08-21 8:17 PM Sleepy on the bike today!  After 4 hours I just wanted to pull over and take a nap!  Happens sometimes.  Tried to suck in more calories, but to no avail.  Guess I was just....sleepy!  Another bigish day tomorrow then a taper for oly week!  woohoo, I will be ready.

Been a light week for me after a heavy week last week but Im definately feeling drained overall.  Trying to focus on my general nutrition and get in some quality food.  My diet with traveling and working with no time after training to prepare meals has slacked. 

Anyone have good ideas or way to motivate or pep themselves up.  I feel like the race is so close and I should be excited but I find myself more dreading the workouts and just hoping it will be over.  I know this is the meat of the training and I really need to be focused.  Any help or advice would be great. 

Justin

2010-08-22 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3056914

User image

Champion
MA
trigirl74 - 2010-08-21 10:59 PM

This may be a silly question, but when I've been to IMs in the past, I see lots of family wearing custom made tshirts supporting their athlete on race day.  I'd like to do something like this so I can spot my family.  Where would one go about having t-shirts made and such???

Look up screen printers or printers in your local yellow pages. Makes some calls and you will have lots of options.

I did them for first IM. This year since we plan to do BT shirts I'll just have them wear them. Then will spectating they will bump into others BTers family/friends and it will good ice breaker for them.

What I'd like to do is make up a generic support shirt they could wear to any race as my kids tend to come to most all my races.

2010-08-22 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3056932

User image

Champion
MA
gravesjo - 2010-08-21 11:25 PM
Mimir98 - 2010-08-21 8:17 PM Sleepy on the bike today!  After 4 hours I just wanted to pull over and take a nap!  Happens sometimes.  Tried to suck in more calories, but to no avail.  Guess I was just....sleepy!  Another bigish day tomorrow then a taper for oly week!  woohoo, I will be ready.

Been a light week for me after a heavy week last week but Im definately feeling drained overall.  Trying to focus on my general nutrition and get in some quality food.  My diet with traveling and working with no time after training to prepare meals has slacked. 

Anyone have good ideas or way to motivate or pep themselves up.  I feel like the race is so close and I should be excited but I find myself more dreading the workouts and just hoping it will be over.  I know this is the meat of the training and I really need to be focused.  Any help or advice would be great. 

Justin

Justin, plan your meals especially your post big workout recovery meals and prepare ahead as much as possible. It makes it much easier than winging it.

We have a big family so I do leftovers at times. Easy and good recovery meal is eggs and white rice...if very long add some brown sugar.

My weekends aren't as packed as many of you since I don't work and try to put long stuff weekdays to have family time on weekend. I did 60 mile ride yesterday and have a 2 mile ocean swim in Salem later this morning. It will be good practice for me for ows in the ocean.

My 'long' run this week was 60'. I feel so far behind most of you and where I'd like to be running wise, but knee injury/scope put a big hole in my training. I'm lucky I'm healthy and can train. Not ideal build to an IM but it is what it is.
2010-08-22 6:06 AM

User image

Master
gravesjo - 2010-08-21 10:25 PM

[Anyone have good ideas or way to motivate or pep themselves up.  I feel like the race is so close and I should be excited but I find myself more dreading the workouts and just hoping it will be over.  I know this is the meat of the training and I really need to be focused.  Any help or advice would be great. 

Justin

When I don't get enough sleep or proper nutrition my performance and desires to train decrease. I've got a long bike today and would rather go back to bed. But that is because I stayed up too late the last few nights. Once I start riding it will be okay.

You may need a short mental and physical break from training. Or perhaps you need to change your workouts around. If you're training solo then find someone to train with for a few days. Switch things up for a while as much as you can. Know that this is a normal part of IM training. The trick is determining if it is from over training or just the toll of focusing for a long time on a specific goal- IMFL>

2010-08-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3056914

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
trigirl74 - 2010-08-21 9:59 PM

Check out cafepress.com.  For the qty you're probably wanting a screen printer might be kind of expensive.
2010-08-22 9:57 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
gravesjo - 2010-08-21 11:25 PM

Justin

My advice....the race is close, but also not...it's 10-11 weeks away, right?  don't get ahead of yourself...I am not excited for the race yet...the week before I will be.  Right now my foucs is on training and life and keeping the 2 in balance.  Here is what I tell people that ask about IM and are perplexed by it...it's like a puzzle..each day you lay a piece down. Some are more tricky than others.  WHen you finally get that tricky one it feels awesome, but sometimes it can be so frustrating!!  However, when the puzzle is done (race day!), you get to sit back and ENJOY!!!  Live in the moment...take what each day gives you and make it your best.  your excitement will come...PROMISE
2010-08-23 3:02 AM
in reply to: #3057929

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
Thanks everyone for the pep talk/advice. I don't feel as if I overtrain but definitely have room to go when it come to eating better. I work night shift so sleep is a constant battle. I like the puzzle analogy. I'm hoping to get in a nice long ride this week and see if that peps me up a little. Training partners would be nice as well. Anyone know of anyone in the Baltimore area? I'll check on some of the local forums.
2010-08-23 9:09 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
woohoo...finally remembered to make my reservation for PCB...if anyone is looking for a reasonable place, let me know....it's on the run course - 1 mile from finish...quiet, mom and pop place - away from the action.  I've stayed there the past 2 years and found it to suit my needs.  It is not fancy
2010-08-23 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
MA
How was everyone's weekend of training?

Mine was good...60 mile bike early with family afternoon; 2mile swim race in ocean and 63 good practice for IMFl. I do suspect I might be last BTer out of the water on 11/6 plus I had a good run with my knee feeling almost normal.

2010-08-23 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Good weekend of training but feeling tired after a 3 week build.  Glad to have a bit of a taper coming into Cranberry!!  I had a good for me run this morning.  I am super slow even on my best daybut I have way more bad running days than good so I savor the good ones even tho I know in the grander scheme of running it sucks.  Its still good for ME  

2010-08-23 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Had a fairly easy weekend of training since my son had an out of town soccer tournament.  Did two runs on the hotel treadmill, but missed a long bike.  Was going to get on the trainer when we got home last night, but the heat and being outside most of the weekend just zapped my energy.  Took a 2 hour nap on the couch and then went to bed an hour later.  Looking forward to getting back into the grove this week.  Although the kids start back to school tomorrow and my son's birthday is Thursday, so I'll have to do a little shuffling, but should be able to get the workouts in.
2010-08-23 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
My weekend training was good.  I biked 130 km on Saturday (just over 80 miles) and the middle 50 km was on pretty steep, rather large (for ontario), hills.  The hills kind of killed me.  Not to mention the first half the winds were calm the second half was headwinds.  I was at my dads for the weekend and actually biked to my sisters place, used her bathroom and refilled my bottles.  Getting to see my 3 year old nephew and 1 year old neice mid ride was a nice bonous .  On Sunday I did a 1 hour bike and 2 hour run brick.  Much flatter terraine and the workout was great.  I'm running faster off the bike these days than I do in my stand alone runs.  Weird.

We were at my dad's place for the weekend, and I was kind of bummed that I had to train instead of getting to visit (still got in a pretty good visit, just eliminated my napping and time wasting.  Wish I could have visited more though.  I should only have one more weekend like that - Canadian Thanksgiving will be 4 weeks out from IMFL.

Other than that, I'm taking a two week swimming break to try to get my back to heal up.  Not sure what I'm going to do with all my spare time.  No swimming means I don't have anything on schedule MWF this week.  Surprised
2010-08-23 11:35 AM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
Had a great long ride yesterday. Did 93 miles here in TX in some massive heat! Really proud of myself as the ride was totally solo and I stayed strong mentally throughout. Long run happening later this week.
2010-08-23 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
I had a good weekend, but I've reached the point of taking it a day at a time.

Saturday:  70 mile ride followed by a 5 mile run.   -- it got pretty hot by the end.  I ran through two people's lawn sprinklers.  When I was almost home I saw another sprinkler running about a 1/2 a block away.   Tough decision - run down there and get the legs wet, or just keep going?  Decided it was too far to go.

Sunday: 8.5 mie run followed by a 35 min 'recovery' ride.  I was pretty much toast after the week and cut a 1/2 hour off the ride.  I was just done.

I'm pretty worn out but today is a rest day.  I'll be ready to hit it again tomorrow.

2010-08-23 12:49 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Had a big weekend starting on thursday and I am very, very pleased with how my body absorbed the training and is responding.   Bit of a lower volume/higher quality week as I prepare for an oly this sunday....seeking redemption from my last one  

2010-08-23 1:04 PM

User image

Elite
SE
You guys are working hard! Well done.
2010-08-23 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
This was an off week for the bike, so "only" had a 40 mile ride on Saturday (three years ago, I would have never believed I would use the word "only" and 40 miles in the sentence ...).  Since this was a run week, Sunday was my long run of 13 miles.  Legs were a little off this morning for a short 35 minute recovery run, but eventually they loosened up, just in time to stop.  This week it is back to a bike week, and will be getting my 5+ plus hour ride in on Thursday, since my daughter has soccer games this weekend. 
2010-08-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3057021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
KathyG - 2010-08-22 7:01 AM

My 'long' run this week was 60'. I feel so far behind most of you and where I'd like to be running wise, but knee injury/scope put a big hole in my training. I'm lucky I'm healthy and can train. Not ideal build to an IM but it is what it is.

I feel behind too, and it's my first, so I'm trying not to freak out.  I'm getting my biking time in on the trainer and am going to go out for the next long ride to the Eastern shore for some flat outside riding.  Swimming is still slow compared to many, but comfortable.  The run is the scary part.  I did an 8 mile run/walk a few weeks ago out of the blue and it felt ok, so I'm trying to build back up, but it's still not the mileage I feel like I *should* be putting in.  Please tell me my marathon suffering experience will get me through the end of the IM!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104