BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-30 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Sacramento, CA
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Newbie totals...

Bike:4h 47m  - 60 Mi
Run:3h 57m  - 19.82 Mi
Swim:5h 20m  - 13100 Yd
Strength:10h 00m

Probably did a bit more than listed as I didn't start logging until April 4th and am sure I had Long, run, swim that 1st weekend...

Love to all!

2011-05-01 5:42 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey, I have been here! What do you want to know about patent law!?Laughing
2011-05-01 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3475470

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SoccerGK - 2011-04-30 10:33 PM

Hi, all.  I am still around and lurking a bit, but I don't really have a ton of time to post anything.  I thought I would hop on for a quick second and give an update.  I finally finished my 19-page contract due Wednesday, and now I'm working on my 32 page Patent Law exam due Friday (where is Doug when you really need him?).  Besides those, I only have 2 in class exams next Tuesday and the Tuesday after, then a quick contract due on the 13th, then I'm done.  Ugh. 

Anyway, on to the important stuff.  My workouts lately just have not been good.  My knee has been sore all week (no pain, just sore), and I THINK it's because of the weather, but I'm not positive.  My bike today was supposed to be 2.5 hours (my new saddle/fit are great), but I had to cut it in half because I was dizzy and just tired.  I couldn't bring myself to finish it.  I've had to skip a bunch of swims because of some weird pool hours during exams and my insane exam schedule.  Excuses, right?  Tongue out 

So the point is, I need your guys' help!  I'd love some advice on how to handle my current state of the blahs.  I'm seriously considering dropping the HIM, but I REALLY want to do it, I just don't know if I can do well at this rate with all my missed/subpar training.  I'm trying to make a pros/cons list to doing it. 

Pros to doing the race - really really really want to, Ryan is doing it too, family coming to watch it, know I CAN do it, been looking forward to it for a long time, and if I don't do it now, probably won't be able to train for one for a couple years because of the BAR exam next summer!

Cons to doing the race - missed/bad training, not sure about my knee, don't want to disappoint myself, lack of race practice, won't be able to watch Ryan race, it would be my only tri of the season because of funds (if I did the sprint instead, I could use the saved money to do an Oly or something in June or August)

I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on (a) what's wrong with me (besides not having sexy purple shorts like John), and (b) my pros/cons list! 

OH, and congrats/good luck to all racers.  I wish I was out there with you all this weekend!

Sounds to me like you're burning the candle at both ends with school and attempting to cram in workouts.  Is your daily nutrition solid? how much sleep are you getting? 

You know how I feel about that knee.  If you haven't seen a PT, I have nothing to add.   Time is not always the healer.

2011-05-01 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Bike:9h 02m 50s  - 56.52 Mi
Run:6h 09m 56s  - 33.21 Mi
Swim:6h 47m  - 13150 Yd

Ok, I have to tell you how I'm feeling after that adventure race I did with my hubby yesterday.  I feel like someone beat me with a big club!!  I'm seriously so sore I can't hardly bend over (lower back) or do stairs (quads).  There was no canoeing due to dangerously high water.  (John, I didn't get a chance to send hubby for a swim.  LOL)  We did somewhere around 2.5 miles of running (that part was ok) and 14.5 miles of biking.  The biking was a challenge for several reasons:  Trying to keep up with hubby, winds of 20 mph+, riding hybrid.  The soreness in my quads is from one of the physical challenges we had to do along the way.  It involved about 126 squats in 20 sec. intervals with 10 sec. rests between each interval.

Today, I feel like I must be kidding myself to think that I someday I might be a lean, mean, triathlete machine.  I too need some sexy purple shorts!!

2011-05-01 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3475638

User image

Elite
san francisco
jfought - 2011-05-01 5:24 AM

Swim:6h 47m  - 13150 Yd

Ok, I have to tell you how I'm feeling after that adventure race I did with my hubby yesterday.  I feel like someone beat me with a big club!!  I'm seriously so sore I can't hardly bend over (lower back) or do stairs (quads).  There was no canoeing due to dangerously high water.  (John, I didn't get a chance to send hubby for a swim.  LOL)  We did somewhere around 2.5 miles of running (that part was ok) and 14.5 miles of biking.  The biking was a challenge for several reasons:  Trying to keep up with hubby, winds of 20 mph+, riding hybrid.  The soreness in my quads is from one of the physical challenges we had to do along the way.  It involved about 126 squats in 20 sec. intervals with 10 sec. rests between each interval.

Today, I feel like I must be kidding myself to think that I someday I might be a lean, mean, triathlete machine.  I too need some sexy purple shorts!!

Jayne-  That sounds really challenging, really fun, and really painful!!!  Great job on your adventure race and even more special to get to race with your hubby!  I think we all need some purple shorts! 

2011-05-01 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Suzy - I talked to my doctor about a PT, and he said there was no need very specifically.  Never referred me to one.  And this is someone who has looked at my knee, knows what I've been training for, watched me run, etc.  I have some stretches I've been doing, and a lot of icing.  I trust this doctor, and he comes highly recommended, so he would know better than me. 

Like I said, the knee was not sore for a while, only has been for my last couple of runs.  The soreness could very well be from the weather, considering all my injuries ache when the weather is what it has been this last couple weeks.  Because the knee is so recent though, I'm having a hard time telling which it is.  I know it's the weather when my back and elbow hurt because those injuries are so darn old and never hurt otherwise.  Hopefully my run today can be an indicator.

Doug - I need help with everything!  Ha!  No, I can't really ask for help since I have the exam and it would be "academic dishonesty" apparently, but I basically have to analyze a patent, along with its prior art and the potentially "infringing" item.  After taking this class, I don't know why anybody would want to work in patents.  You are a brave man!

2011-05-01 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Jayne,

Way to tough out the adventure race, great job!!

2011-05-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3474983

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

tricrazy - 2011-04-30 4:45 PM Hey all!  I have been a little MIA for a while.  I guess I don't always know what to say since y'all seem to know each other so well.  Anyway, I had a 60 mile bike ride this morning that went so much better than I anticipated.  I have a little less than 4 months until IM Louisvilee and starting to get very, very nervous. 

that's a great ride! sounds like you're getting there....

(i'm with you on the MIA - went on vacation, and couldn't keep up, and feel the same way about jumping in)

2011-05-01 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3474423

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
cherifortin - 2011-04-29 11:22 PM

My Napa Sprint goals...

1.  To Finish It (it is my first race)

2.  To Enjoy It (it is my first raceWink)

Good Luck everyone on this weekend's racing. 

sorry to see this so late - hope you had a blast!

2011-05-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3475763

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Crit done, it was a .8 mile loop, each lap took less than 2 minutes to complete, I think we avg'd about 23 mph for 30 mins.  Again I feel good as if I would have had myself in the right position I could have contended for the win, but on the 2nd to last turn I had someone cut inside me and I had to slow down to avoid crashing into him.  So same as last week, sprinting to catch back up, just in time to sprint for the finish.  Think I finished again 15th or so.

So another lesson learned which I should have learned from last week, stay at the front for the last few laps, don't wait until the bell lap to try and get up there.

Hope everyone else had (is having) great races this weekend!

2011-05-01 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3475696

User image

Master
SoccerGK - 2011-05-01 6:29 AM

Suzy - I talked to my doctor about a PT, and he said there was no need very specifically.  Never referred me to one.  And this is someone who has looked at my knee, knows what I've been training for, watched me run, etc.  I have some stretches I've been doing, and a lot of icing.  I trust this doctor, and he comes highly recommended, so he would know better than me. 

Like I said, the knee was not sore for a while, only has been for my last couple of runs.  The soreness could very well be from the weather, considering all my injuries ache when the weather is what it has been this last couple weeks.  Because the knee is so recent though, I'm having a hard time telling which it is.  I know it's the weather when my back and elbow hurt because those injuries are so darn old and never hurt otherwise.  Hopefully my run today can be an indicator.

Doug - I need help with everything!  Ha!  No, I can't really ask for help since I have the exam and it would be "academic dishonesty" apparently, but I basically have to analyze a patent, along with its prior art and the potentially "infringing" item.  After taking this class, I don't know why anybody would want to work in patents.  You are a brave man!

What is the "official" diagnosis on the knee? I remember something about patella tracking. Even if it might not respond to PT, oftentimes there are exercises you can do to strenghthen the supporting muscles to prevent the tracking issue in the first place. I remember one woman on here did tons of squats and wall sits when she was having problems, and that really helped her. Not saying AT ALL those are what you should be doing, but I'm just wondering if there is a proactive approach you can take to healing??

2011-05-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3475794

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
dalessit - 2011-05-01 11:14 AM

Crit done, it was a .8 mile loop, each lap took less than 2 minutes to complete, I think we avg'd about 23 mph for 30 mins.  Again I feel good as if I would have had myself in the right position I could have contended for the win, but on the 2nd to last turn I had someone cut inside me and I had to slow down to avoid crashing into him.  So same as last week, sprinting to catch back up, just in time to sprint for the finish.  Think I finished again 15th or so.

So another lesson learned which I should have learned from last week, stay at the front for the last few laps, don't wait until the bell lap to try and get up there.

Avoiding a crash is always a good thing, though. Sounds like great opportunity to work on speed, if nothing else (sounds like fun, actually!)

2011-05-01 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3475819

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
MarlaS - 2011-05-01 11:58 AM

Avoiding a crash is always a good thing, though. Sounds like great opportunity to work on speed, if nothing else (sounds like fun, actually!)

There's always room in the Womens CAT4 races, they are pretty civilized compared to the guys. 

2011-05-01 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Tony,

Great race for you, it sounds like you are tuned in to strategies and goals for your bike racing. I have watched Crit races before and they are fun! I am too scared to ride up on someone' s tire. I admire those who have the courage to do it! Impressive ride!

2011-05-01 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Can I just brag for a moment about our Linda!!! 3:49:14 on one of the toughest courses out there!!! Linda, you are a fricking rockstar!!!
2011-05-01 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3476032

User image

kt65 - 2011-05-01 3:42 PM Can I just brag for a moment about our Linda!!! 3:49:14 on one of the toughest courses out there!!! Linda, you are a fricking rockstar!!!

Awesome!  Way to go Linda!!! 

2011-05-01 3:08 PM

User image

Master

kt65 - 2011-05-01 12:42 PM Can I just brag for a moment about our Linda!!! 3:49:14 on one of the toughest courses out there!!! Linda, you are a fricking rockstar!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!! How did you find out? Did she text you? I've been trying to stalk her all day. That is awesome. She is incredible!!! BQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-05-01 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
awesome run Linda.

I finished my 5K race  in 27:40 on Saturday. No RR as there was really nothing special of note to report. GOt to race did about 10 minute warm up run  then hung out until race time. Lots of people

Edited by Redknight 2011-05-01 3:09 PM
2011-05-01 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3476073

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

Redknight - 2011-05-01 4:08 PM awesome run Linda.

I finished my 5K race  in 27:40 on Saturday. No RR as there was really nothing special of note to report. GOt to race did about 10 minute warm up run  then hung out until race time. Lots of people

Congrats to you & to Linda, too!

I just saw a pic of a couple of tri teammates who were at big sur - engagement ring one gave the other's the best SWAG I've ever seen....!

2011-05-01 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3475831

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
dalessit - 2011-05-01 12:12 PM
MarlaS - 2011-05-01 11:58 AM

There's always room in the Womens CAT4 races, they are pretty civilized compared to the guys. 

...hmmm...interesting...! I'm so new to biking (as a grown-up at least), that something like that's probably a ways away for me, but that's good to know - I like speed, and LOVE the bike....

2011-05-01 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3476080

User image

Master
WTG Tony and Rob!! Rob, there's nothing easy about a 5K, so don't sell yourself short. Throw up a RR!! And Tony, it's fun to read of your racing adventures. I think that would be terrifying. I always breathe a sigh of relief when you come back and post and there's nothing about crashes or road rash!!! (Worried mom!)

2011-05-01 3:22 PM

User image

kt65 - 2011-05-01 3:42 PMCan I just brag for a moment about our Linda!!! 3:49:14 on one of the toughest courses out there!!! Linda, you are a fricking rockstar!!!
Wow! That's a big PR on a tough tough course! Very impressive Linda! !
2011-05-01 3:32 PM

User image

Sacramento, CA

OK...finished my sprint today!  Nothing incredible but I met my goals.  I finished and had fun - under 2hours!!!!

Set up easy...I was one of the first there.  SHould have warmed up more but I didn't know what to do...Went out for a brief dunk...wow cold!  (noticed problem with wetsuit right way!) - got out waited for slow line to move forward.  Got butterflies when I hit the mat.

The swim was terrible...very choppy water and cold (to me at least at 59 degrees).  I never got into any sort of groove in the swim and couldn't breath in the water.  Had to work to keep myself up...my wetsuit that some boy sold me was NOT AT ALL right -(zip upi the front kind...maybe for surfing???) it was dragging me down the whole time and I had to muscle through every stroke.  Rookie move mot to test it before hand... I rolled ever every so often for a break on my back... and was grateful for the rest. 

T1 - No problem, seemed quick to me...

Bike - Napa Valley = Hilly course.  Big up and then big down...up was hard but I passed several folks along the way. Down was fun...FAST...maybe 25MPH...but I felt in control the whole time.  Muscles in legs started to burn up in last stretch of Bike.  Ate a gu too late...gave me icky tummy on the way out to run...Also, feet went numb again at mile 5 desipe the new shoes.  Ugh...I have to figure this out.  Overall, I got into a great groove in bike and I liked it.  I am strong!

T2 - No problem.  Again seemed quick.

Run - Now I thought this would be the most difficult of the race but I felt good the whole time (except for the numb toes for the first mile).   Noone passed me until the very end and had I moved into a sprint I could have passed her at the final turn.  I smiled for the photographers who took a bunch of photos, my fellow participants along the way and the cute little deer I saw in the woods.  A good day.  Now, I am hungry....eggs?  Eggs and beer???? Yes!

Smiles for everyone here too,

Cheri

2011-05-01 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

WOO-HOO to Cheri, Linda, Tony, Rob!!!!!!!!! I hope I didn't miss anyone....what about George and David?

Today was a tough weather day in Wisconsin.  Winds in the 25-35mph range with gusts to 40mph....I made a critical error going down a steep hill and touched my brakes...made for a not so nice landing as my wheel slid out.  Thankfully, I was wearing insulated tights (it was 40F), a coat and a turtleneck.....they're trashed, but the bod is reasonably in tact.  Bike is going in for a tune up for REV3 so the damaged pedal will get rehabbed at that point.....cut the ride short at 35m and hit the run which was equally interesting...but fine.  Overall, the hills were so much easier than last year, hit my power #s, nutrition still works and I realize I really like riding solo!

Off to stretch this sore, old body!

2011-05-01 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3475505

User image

Expert

Just putting these all in one spot so I can look at them together more or less to compare ratios of disciplines trained.

cherifortin

Bike:4h 47m  - 60 Mi
Run:3h 57m  - 19.82 Mi
Swim:5h 20m  - 13100 Yd
Strength:10h 00m

jfought

Swim:6h 47m  - 13150 Y

dcon

Bike:9h 35m 30s  - 183.7 Mi
Run:8h 54m 30s  - 57.35 Mi
Swim:6h 00m  - 7100 M

dalessit

April's totals:
Bike:26h 08m 57s - 446.21 Mi
Run:11h 02m 19s - 76.51 Mi
Swim:5h 19m - 15000 M
Walking:1h 00m

DougRob

Bike:22h 02m 40s  - 441.49 Mi
Run:11h 11m 25s  - 67.76 Mi
Swim:12h 37m  - 33979.35 Yd
Strength:50m
Walking:1h 26m

kkcbelle - 2011-04-30 12:58 PM

April's totals:
Bike:34h 11m 55s  - 533.53 Mi
Run:9h 00m 10s  - 53.21 Mi
Swim:10h 00m  - 35700 Yd
Strength:10m
Physical Therapy:2h 50m
Stretching:30m

SSMinnow - 2011-04-30 2:34 PM

April's totals:
Bike:18h 41m 54s  - 347.3 Mi
Run:17h 41m 16s  - 116.04 Mi
Swim:17h 47m  - 38350 Yd
Strength:3h 50m
Yoga:1h 20m

kt65 - 2011-04-30 3:01 PM

April's totals:
Bike:11h 03m  - 207.3 Mi
Run:13h 04m 17s  - 97.33 Mi
Swim:5h 50m  - 12400 Yd

April's totals:
Bike:11h 19m 46s  - 171.85 Mi
Run:9h 37m 40s  - 58.91 Mi
Swim:8h 15m  - 23900 Yd
Strength:4h 20m

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298