General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
It's right around 55m, dont have the guide in front of me but it was really close to the midway point.

I'm planning on stowing my second bottle of nutrion in the special needs, trying to minimize the weight on my bike however I can. Hopefully I dont lose a bottle ont he way...I actually considered packing 2 bottles on the bike (enough for the whole ride), then another at special needs to be safe..dont think I'm going that route though.

2013-06-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Chicago
Looks like bike special needs is located right at the turnaround point on Lake drive, no mile marker on the map but it does appear to be between 50-55 miles.
2013-06-18 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by rbalazs I may have missed this, but what mile marker is the bike special needs bags at? I'm trying to decide if I want to carry both bottles of nutrition or leave one in special needs to be picked up..

It's between mile 62-63.  You hit the halfway point in town then go out to the Higgen's Point turn-around and that's where SN is. 

2013-06-18 12:23 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Just wanted to say good luck to all of you this weekend! IM CdA was one of the best days of my life. Enjoy the day! The beautiful scenery really does make those hills a little less painful.
2013-06-18 1:19 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by rbalazs I may have missed this, but what mile marker is the bike special needs bags at? I'm trying to decide if I want to carry both bottles of nutrition or leave one in special needs to be picked up..

It's between mile 62-63.  You hit the halfway point in town then go out to the Higgen's Point turn-around and that's where SN is. 

Hmm, thanks. That is perfect. I think I may also save the weight on the first loop.
2013-06-18 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Is it possible to bike 1 lap of the run course on Friday? I assume it's all public roads. Would like to get a quick loop on Friday afternoon.

2013-06-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by cnsegura Is it possible to bike 1 lap of the run course on Friday? I assume it's all public roads. Would like to get a quick loop on Friday afternoon.

Yep, very easy to ride the run course as most of it can be covered on the Centennial Trail. 

Hope everyone has safe travels and enjoys their time here in CDA. 

2013-06-18 2:40 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
You can probably ride the course. The Big loop during the race will be in a lane of traffic, so pretty free of gravel. If you ride the shoulder today, it is pretty crappy. You might be risking your race tires prior to checking in your bike in on Saturday.

I am trying not to look at the weather, but it looks like it is turing sour for the spectators. I hope over the next 5 days it gets better.
2013-06-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Also debating calf compression sleeves.  I'm thinking I will wear them for the run, my legs seem to feel much better with them.  But they are kind of a pain to get on, so I was wondering about just putting them on before the swim.  I've had troubles with calf cramps during long swims in the past, I'm wondering if they might help or hurt with that.

I have problems with my calves cramping during the swim as well and wore compression sleeves last year during the swim. They really helped and they also made it easier for me to get my wetsuit off. I probably could have done without them on the bike but I like having them on the run.

One practice swim with them and I knew they were going to work for me.
2013-06-18 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
On our way! Left Ohio on Sunday night, spent last night in the Badlands (which is spectacular). Now in Montana almost to Idaho!

Is there a group swim Friday? Anyone set a time yet?

2013-06-18 5:25 PM
in reply to: roywidget

User image

Spokane
gosh im a freakin moron.. Rode inside on the trainer today for the 50 mins listening to music. 5 mins in i kept getting weird resistance changes so looked behind me and realized my break was rubbing against my tire, so i fixed that. Then i continued on with my trainer for 35 mins then a break in between songs came and i heard a rubbing. Took me a while to figure it out but my tire was rubbing against my frame the whole time, i rubbed the tire down some but nothing popped.

2013-06-18 5:29 PM
in reply to: roywidget

User image

Regular
Originally posted by roywidget

On our way! Left Ohio on Sunday night, spent last night in the Badlands (which is spectacular). Now in Montana almost to Idaho!

no time set yet....

I know there was talk before to

1. meet to swim
2. drive the bike course
3. go to the athlete dinner
4. go to the athlete meeting

As it is now for Friday events

10am-4pm Athelete check-in
5:30pm - 7:30pm Welcome dinner
7:30pm - 830pm Athlete race briefing

So perhaps

1. meet to swim - 2 PM
2. drive the bike course -- ~ 3PM

So for others who have done this before, I know on race day I have usually parked in North Idaho College parking lot and not had to worry about tickets etc. But before the event, is that area open to park in? Or where should someone park to go to athlete check-in, the welcome dinner, etc?
2013-06-18 5:31 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dkahns51

gosh im a freakin moron.. Rode inside on the trainer today for the 50 mins listening to music. 5 mins in i kept getting weird resistance changes so looked behind me and realized my break was rubbing against my tire, so i fixed that. Then i continued on with my trainer for 35 mins then a break in between songs came and i heard a rubbing. Took me a while to figure it out but my tire was rubbing against my frame the whole time, i rubbed the tire down some but nothing popped.

I know of a guy who did Ironman penticton and for the first 60 miles his front brake was rubbing lol.

But for the brake rubbing been there done that a time or 2 myself. But how the heck was the tire rubbing on the frame? Was it that crooked?
2013-06-18 6:02 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by spie34
Originally posted by roywidget On our way! Left Ohio on Sunday night, spent last night in the Badlands (which is spectacular). Now in Montana almost to Idaho! Is there a group swim Friday? Anyone set a time yet?
no time set yet.... I know there was talk before to 1. meet to swim 2. drive the bike course 3. go to the athlete dinner 4. go to the athlete meeting As it is now for Friday events 10am-4pm Athelete check-in 5:30pm - 7:30pm Welcome dinner 7:30pm - 830pm Athlete race briefing So perhaps 1. meet to swim - 2 PM 2. drive the bike course -- ~ 3PM So for others who have done this before, I know on race day I have usually parked in North Idaho College parking lot and not had to worry about tickets etc. But before the event, is that area open to park in? Or where should someone park to go to athlete check-in, the welcome dinner, etc?

Yeah, your best bet is to park at NIC for everything probably.  The Athlete dinner is going to be over that way this year due to the construction at the 3rd street boat ramp so it'll be closest to park at the college.  Athlete check in will still be at City Park as far as I know.

2013-06-18 6:14 PM

User image

Spokane

Originally posted by dkahns51

I know of a guy who did Ironman penticton and for the first 60 miles his front brake was rubbing lol.

But for the brake rubbing been there done that a time or 2 myself. But how the heck was the tire rubbing on the frame? Was it that crooked?

Yeah i don't understand how it went that crooked lol.
2013-06-18 8:28 PM

User image

Spokane
Well lets hope this one changes....... the chance of rain that is. Temp and wind look perfect

Day Jun 23
Scattered T-Storms

68°FHigh

Scattered T-Storms

Chance of rain:
40%

Wind:
E at 5 mph

Humidity:
62%

UV Index:
8 - Very High

Sunrise:
4:50 am

Moonphase:
Full

2013-06-18 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

no time set yet....

1. meet to swim
2. drive the bike course

So perhaps

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

So for others who have done this before, I know on race day I have usually parked in North Idaho College parking lot and not had to worry about tickets etc. But before the event, is that area open to park in? Or where should someone park to go to athlete check-in, the welcome dinner, etc?

I'm good with that schedule. Siting in Missoula for tonight. I'll be in Spokane in the afternoon. Anyone in the Spokane area wanna do a quick 15-20 mile bike ride around 6 or 7pm Wednesday? I just need to get my bike back together and make sure everything works out. I'll be at the Residence inn in Spokane valley.

2013-06-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by maverickbassets

no time set yet....

1. meet to swim
2. drive the bike course

So perhaps

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

I'm good with that schedule. Siting in Missoula for tonight. I'll be in Spokane in the afternoon. Anyone in the Spokane area wanna do a quick 15-20 mile bike ride around 6 or 7pm Wednesday? I just need to get my bike back together and make sure everything works out. I'll be at the Residence inn in Spokane valley.

Expected weather at that time will be low to mid 50's, rain 70% and wind, I hope there is some crazy change in weather like there has been in the past couple of days which went from beautiful to crappy in 2 days.
2013-06-18 10:27 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
Originally posted by maverickbassets

I so would like to join but doing my ride at lunch with coworkers.

You are close to the Centennial trail so ask the front desk what the best route is to get to it. The trail runs all the way to cda which is the way I suggest you go. Have a safe trip the rest of the way.

2013-06-18 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by dkahns51 Well lets hope this one changes....... the chance of rain that is. Temp and wind look perfect Day Jun 23 Scattered T-Storms 68°FHigh Scattered T-Storms Chance of rain: 40% Wind: E at 5 mph Humidity: 62% UV Index: 8 - Very High Sunrise: 4:50 am Moonphase: Full
Don't know where that forecast came from, but for the short term, the local guys are the best... Tom Sherry is the best and has been pretty consistent with around 75 degrees and partly cloudy with 10% chance of rain for the last few days.
2013-06-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Originally posted by dkahns51 Well lets hope this one changes....... the chance of rain that is. Temp and wind look perfect Day Jun 23 Scattered T-Storms 68°FHigh Scattered T-Storms Chance of rain: 40% Wind: E at 5 mph Humidity: 62% UV Index: 8 - Very High Sunrise: 4:50 am Moonphase: Full
Don't know where that forecast came from, but for the short term, the local guys are the best... Tom Sherry is the best and has been pretty consistent with around 75 degrees and partly cloudy with 10% chance of rain for the last few days.

Forecasting here in the PNW is an art for sure. I had a ride a few weeks ago go from p. sunny and pleasant to rain the entire day within 2 days of the forecast. I'm waiting until Fri or so before I start to obsess over Sunday. Not sure it would change what I pack anyway.

On a different note, does anyone know if Infinit spoils? I don't know why I didn't think of this until this morning, but if I drop off my bike SN on Saturday with a bottle of mixed Infinit it's going to be >24hrs before I see it again. I assume we cannot access SN bags on race morning?

2013-06-19 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Why not just have the powder in the bottle and fill it with fresh water from the aid station?
2013-06-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: dodgersmom

User image

Spokane
Do we drop off our 5 bags on saturday or sunday? For some reason i thought it would be Sunday.. but i guess that wouldn't make sense because it would cause them to scramble to get them all in place that morning.
2013-06-19 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Mandatory Bicycle and Gear Bag Check-In is: Saturday, June 22 from
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at City Park
2013-06-19 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by cnsegura ...On a different note, does anyone know if Infinit spoils? I don't know why I didn't think of this until this morning, but if I drop off my bike SN on Saturday with a bottle of mixed Infinit it's going to be >24hrs before I see it again. I assume we cannot access SN bags on race morning?
You don't drop your SN bags off until right before the swim start on Sunday - you only drop bike/run gear bags on Saturday.  I'm also using Infinit and will have my second bottle in SN, maybe with a little ice bag wrapped around it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57