BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-12-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2570861

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
I'M ON CHRISTMAS BREAK, WHOOO HOOO!!!!  YEA!  YEA!  (I'm a teacher, can you tell?)  Had a GREAT early morning swim with Brittany today, I think we pushed each other well!  I hope to get out and fit an outdoor bike ride in today, but am waiting on news of hubby's truck in the shop, so sticking around in case it's finished and he needs to go pick it up.  I'm hoping to fit something in everyday this week, except maybe I'll take Friday off and just eat cookies or something, ha!  I think we'll all be pretty quiet until Jan. 4th...

2009-12-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2556934

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
Apparently yesterday was the shortest day of the year, or the darkest I guess depends on how you look at it. So, that means more daylight to get the workouts in. Whooo Hooo!
2009-12-21 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Just a busy time of year, so it may be a bit quiet! I wasn't home much at all the last 3 days. I'm enjoying all the stuff going on, but I'm also ready for it all to be over so I can get back on a normal schedule.
in reply to: #2571002

User image

Master
Houston, TX
fly_boy68 - 2009-12-21 10:26 AM

Apparently yesterday was the shortest day of the year, or the darkest I guess depends on how you look at it. So, that means more daylight to get the workouts in. Whooo Hooo!

Early morning rides in the cold and dark are what make you strong.
in reply to: #2570939

User image

Master
Chicago
Today is rest day for me.  I will probably go to a yoga class as I am always fighting tight muscles.  Only 2 days of work this week and then I am done until 1/4.  My schedule for the next couple of weeks will have to be flexible as I'm going to my in-laws in Indianapolis for the 26th - 29th. 

What is on tap for everybody else today? 
2009-12-21 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I have a recovery pace 30min run followed by a moderate swim for the day. My easy day of the week. I was pretty happy with how last week for me after several weeks of low volume and just goofing off. I had kept my running going pretty well though and it's always amazing how well just doing that maintains fitness pretty well.

2009-12-21 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2571007

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
mattb1 - 2009-12-21 11:27 AM Today is rest day for me.  I will probably go to a yoga class as I am always fighting tight muscles.  Only 2 days of work this week and then I am done until 1/4.  My schedule for the next couple of weeks will have to be flexible as I'm going to my in-laws in Indianapolis for the 26th - 29th. 

What is on tap for everybody else today? 

Just finished a 80 min. spin with a 30 min. transition run.  Felt great!!!
2009-12-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2571049

User image

Tyler,
smilford - 2009-12-21 10:41 AM I have a recovery pace 30min run followed by a moderate swim for the day. My easy day of the week. I was pretty happy with how last week for me after several weeks of low volume and just goofing off. I had kept my running going pretty well though and it's always amazing how well just doing that maintains fitness pretty well.

When you are goofin' off I am hittin' it baby!!!  During visualization I am leading out of the water. When you are getting drunk I am stretching and elevating. 
2009-12-21 12:59 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

I LOVE HALF-DAYS! One of the perks of being in the military during holiday time--I'm salaried and we don't have to work a certain # of hours.  Now, granted, there are plenty of times they have gotten more than their fair share of time BACK from me, but I signed up.  Anyhow, it's half-days for me.
This morning Hilde and I hit the pool--kudos to her for getting up early. She was kicking my butt and I think I drank too much water. Anyhow, did my swim, ran a little over 3 miles with my troopers, and have an easy hour spin on tap later today.  In the meantime I'm finishing up some house stuff in anticipation of the family coming here soon.  I need to wrap packages before everyone shows up. I prefer bags, so much easier.   I am back on a schedule, so that's good for me, keeps me focused. 

2009-12-21 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2571007

Veteran
My plan today is to do an LT-test on the bike so I can get my zones
2009-12-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2571365

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
monicamm68 - 2009-12-21 1:05 PM My plan today is to do an LT-test on the bike so I can get my zones

Good deal! Give it your all, time trials can be tough but can yield some good data.  Let us know how it goes!

2009-12-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2571394

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I soooo did NOT kick Brit's butt in the pool!!  Our times were almost identical, but I sure did have to push harder!  I LIKED having some friendly competition, that's what I need to kick MY butt...
2009-12-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2571365

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
monicamm68 - 2009-12-21 2:05 PM My plan today is to do an LT-test on the bike so I can get my zones

Just curious as to how you do LT testing?  Do you have access to gear that does it?  Up until now I have just been estimating my AeT, LT and FT based upon breath markers.  Would be nice to get  definitive numbers.
2009-12-21 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2571579

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
junthank - 2009-12-21 2:37 PM
monicamm68 - 2009-12-21 2:05 PM My plan today is to do an LT-test on the bike so I can get my zones

Just curious as to how you do LT testing?  Do you have access to gear that does it?  Up until now I have just been estimating my AeT, LT and FT based upon breath markers.  Would be nice to get  definitive numbers.

I am guessing that Monica is doing a field test.  You can check out this thread about heart rate training, etc. using field tests on the bike and the run.  I think it's a good read if you're looking at training by heart rate. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1
Interestingly enough, I don't train specifically by HR. I hardly pay attention to it on the bike, but I keep an eye on it on the run cause I pretty much have a good idea of what my HARD and REALLY HARD effort HRs are and they can help me reign in my effort or exert more as necessary, but I don't train specifically by it.  The friend I trained with IMAZ did train by HR, and followed it on race day, but felt like she could've done much more on the bike than the HR was indicating.  Later on, talking to her coach, he told her that it's probably better that she go by RPE vs. HR in the actual race, but use the HR as a guide of where the effort is.  She wished she'd been told that PRIOR to the race.  I wore my HRM at the race, but it didn't ever pick up, and I don't really mind.  In fact, I don't know that I'll actually wear it for racing in the future, and just for training as I felt RPE coupled with pace worked better for me.  Of course this is all ancedotal, and you will get a lot of different approaches out there. 
2009-12-21 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2571579

Veteran
I follow the BT guide to LT field test: Warm-up 10-15 minutes, then 90 RPM for the next 30 minutes (HRM goes on 10 minutes into the effort), then 10-15 minute cooldown. The average HR goes into the heart rate zone LT method. After that, all the numbers get spit out.
2009-12-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2571394

Veteran
My time trial went well tonight. It got kindof tough to maintain 90 rpms in a light gear so I had to go harder and still keep the rpms. I didn't do that the whole 30 minutes, but I think it helped to do it every now and then for 2-3 minutes at a time.

2009-12-21 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2572200

User image

Master
Houston, TX
monicamm68 - 2009-12-21 9:11 PM

My time trial went well tonight. It got kindof tough to maintain 90 rpms in a light gear so I had to go harder and still keep the rpms. I didn't do that the whole 30 minutes, but I think it helped to do it every now and then for 2-3 minutes at a time.

The goal isn't to maintain 90rpms. That's just a guideline to help warm up and make sure you aren't horribly mashing. Just as long as you went all out for the 30min effort, that's what counts.
2009-12-22 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2572218

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
You guys sound a whole lot more advanced than I am.  All of this technical talk reminds me why I have been so leary of thiathlons in the first place.  Running seems to be so much simplier.  But, I'm in so I'll just have to figure it all out. 

Right now I am vacationing in Northern Michigan where there is lots of the white stuff.  My training goals while I am up here is just to snowshoe, ski and hike for a few hours every day.  I will go back to a more organized schedule next week when I am home.

I have finally figured out a training plan for myself and have been a little confused about entering the program into Beginner Triathlete's interface.  I do not have a "paid" plan, but I thought I could upload a .CSV file.  I didn't have any success with that.  So, as I understand it my choices are:

1) Sign on for at least bronze membership and use one of their plans.  I didn't think I would find a plan that would give me enough running time/distance to do my spring (late May) Marathon but still be ready for a June triathlon.  That is why I took my marathon schedule, eliminated 1 day running (4 days per week instead of 5) and added 2 days cycling and 2 days swimming.  I also added brick workouts every 3 weeks.
2) Forget about entering a plan and just use the log portion

What do you guys recommend.  It looks like everyone has at least bronze membership, am I right? 
2009-12-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2572509

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
No, I just have the free membership and haven't been following any formal kind of plan.  I just enter what I do in my logs everyday.  I've looked at a lot of plans and have pretty much just adopted my own training schedule.  I might look at following a specific plan after I do my half mary at the end of Feb.
2009-12-22 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
jcarmody - 2009-12-22 7:00 AM You guys sound a whole lot more advanced than I am.  All of this technical talk reminds me why I have been so leary of thiathlons in the first place.  Running seems to be so much simplier.  But, I'm in so I'll just have to figure it all out. 

Right now I am vacationing in Northern Michigan where there is lots of the white stuff.  My training goals while I am up here is just to snowshoe, ski and hike for a few hours every day.  I will go back to a more organized schedule next week when I am home.

I have finally figured out a training plan for myself and have been a little confused about entering the program into Beginner Triathlete's interface.  I do not have a "paid" plan, but I thought I could upload a .CSV file.  I didn't have any success with that.  So, as I understand it my choices are:

1) Sign on for at least bronze membership and use one of their plans.  I didn't think I would find a plan that would give me enough running time/distance to do my spring (late May) Marathon but still be ready for a June triathlon.  That is why I took my marathon schedule, eliminated 1 day running (4 days per week instead of 5) and added 2 days cycling and 2 days swimming.  I also added brick workouts every 3 weeks.

What do you guys recommend.  It looks like everyone has at least bronze membership, am I right? 

Don't worry about all the technical talk if you are just starting out.  Just get out there and swim, bike, run and most importantly have fun.  The goal is to have fun and not stress about it.  Find a training plan and follow it and you will do great in your races.  I love northern Michigan.  My good buddy from college is from Petosky and we go up there to ski. 

As for which membership get what you can afford, they each have their benefits.  I think there is someway to upload a plan that is not from BT (you may need to be a paid member), but I'm not really sure.  I'll research and ask the moderators if there is a way.  I only log my training here on BT, don't upload a plan or anything.  At a minimum you can always do that.  My coach uses another site for sending me workouts.  Have a great holiday break

Matt

P.S.  What Tri are you doing in June? 

2009-12-22 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning!

I went out in the very cold morning air for a 30 minute run. I have some shopping to do after work and I didn't want to miss my run.  And I didn't want to run on the treadmill. I have to remind myself that every winter i've done some crazy runs and this is just cold. We don't have any snow to slip and slide on so it's actually better than most winter runs!

My plan calls for some strength training today too - which may or may not get done depending on how long i am out shopping.  I have really been enjoying doing the strength and core work. I feel like a million bucks afterward which makes it worth whether or not helps me in tri.

Monica: i think if you want to upload your own plan you do need to have a membership - but i think the .csv's will work.  What I've done is keep an excel spreadsheet and then log what I actually did into BT training logs.  The logs are so addictive though. I love the graphs.  But then I am nerdy.

2009-12-22 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
jcarmody - 2009-12-22 8:00 AM You guys sound a whole lot more advanced than I am.  All of this technical talk reminds me why I have been so leary of thiathlons in the first place.  Running seems to be so much simplier.  But, I'm in so I'll just have to figure it all out. 

It's as technical as you want it to be. I know plenty of people who make running very technical but in the end it's just getting time swimming/biking and running in a way that works for you!

Okay, though with biking you should know a little about the mechanics. First and foremost is changing tires and keeping your chain in good shape. But you can get help with that!

BTW, youi vacationing sounds awesome! Have fun - those are great cross-training activites!
2009-12-22 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2572685

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Matt -

I'm looking at Big Fish @Hadley St Park or Moter City Tri on Belle Isle.  Both are about 1 hour from where I live.  They offer a couple of distance options and Big Fish even has a Duathlon option.  Although I live on open water and will be able to get in some practice time in open water, not by early June!

Thank to everyone for the posts.  I think I will log my workouts on BT and not worry about having my plan on the site.  Unless someone finds out how to upload for free. Smile
2009-12-22 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
jcarmody - 2009-12-22 8:00 AM You guys sound a whole lot more advanced than I am.  All of this technical talk reminds me why I have been so leary of thiathlons in the first place.  Running seems to be so much simplier.  But, I'm in so I'll just have to figure it all out. 

Hey Janet,

Just wanted to 2nd what Matt said.  HAVE FUN!!! If your having fun you will be consistent.  If you maintain your consistency you will improve.  I know when I 1st started it was very confusing for me.  Particularily in chosing a training protocol (i.e.. aerobic vs. anaerobic work etc..).  I didn't know what was right.  The advice I got was similar to Matt's.  Pick a plan that you are going to enjoy doing.  Everything else will take care of itself (technical mumbo-jumbo included).

Hiking, etc.. great exercise. Everything counts.
2009-12-22 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Keep things simple and they typically stay fun. The main thing in training is the work load you do. Work is Work and it doesn't matter how fancy you make it.

Heck I don't even wear a watch majority of the time on my runs, and then on my road bike I don't even have a bike computer on it. It makes things much more enjoyable for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 23