BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-27 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2578871

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
TracyV - 2009-12-27 11:18 AM
Steve- - 2009-12-27 10:45 AM
TracyV - 2009-12-27 9:50 AM  I know what gets me up in the morning to swim, gets me on my bike even when I have no desire to ride, and on the treadmill. My love of racing.

Awesome Tracy.  I love this.  I know the only thing that got me through 6hr indoor trainer rides (I had no CT at the time, just cycleops fluid 2 trainer) and 3 hour treadmill runs was knowing I was gonna race IMAZ.  Thinking of racing when I train is something that I find really continues to solidify the mind-body connection.

6 hours on a cyclops. That is a feat in itself Steve!! Amazing how far you can push yourself with one goal in mind, the race. I don't think I could train as hard as I do if were not the race at the long, sometimes dark, tunnel of winter training. 

Now I am ready to ride my CT for the day!! Off I go!!

Interesting conversation.  While riding the CT for the second time today in the dark in complete silence (that's Minocqua in the wintertime!), I was thinking about why I train the way I do.  While I like to race, I really don't think that is the sole motivation for me.  I simply like getting workouts and being able to complete them knowing I gave it my all.  In many ways that is pay off enough.  I love the race for its atmosphere and its abillity to test my overall strategy, but it is only a small piece of the enjoyment for me.  Different strokes I guess.

2009-12-27 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Suzy!!!  Another good reason to get out there and train/run/etc. would be so you can post to the Blog and motivate others!!!  And....if you didn't notice you were just our 100th post to the blog.

So, congrats for that.

...and this is the 101st and counting.
2009-12-27 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2579423

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

SSMinnow - 2009-12-27 9:45 PM
TracyV - 2009-12-27 11:18 AM
Steve- - 2009-12-27 10:45 AM
TracyV - 2009-12-27 9:50 AM  I know what gets me up in the morning to swim, gets me on my bike even when I have no desire to ride, and on the treadmill. My love of racing.

Awesome Tracy.  I love this.  I know the only thing that got me through 6hr indoor trainer rides (I had no CT at the time, just cycleops fluid 2 trainer) and 3 hour treadmill runs was knowing I was gonna race IMAZ.  Thinking of racing when I train is something that I find really continues to solidify the mind-body connection.

6 hours on a cyclops. That is a feat in itself Steve!! Amazing how far you can push yourself with one goal in mind, the race. I don't think I could train as hard as I do if were not the race at the long, sometimes dark, tunnel of winter training. 

Now I am ready to ride my CT for the day!! Off I go!!

Interesting conversation.  While riding the CT for the second time today in the dark in complete silence (that's Minocqua in the wintertime!), I was thinking about why I train the way I do.  While I like to race, I really don't think that is the sole motivation for me.  I simply like getting workouts and being able to complete them knowing I gave it my all.  In many ways that is pay off enough.  I love the race for its atmosphere and its abillity to test my overall strategy, but it is only a small piece of the enjoyment for me.  Different strokes I guess.

I think those are all great reasons for motivation and getting the workouts done.  I think I do it for all of those reasons too but what really drives me is that I want to be great at this sport.  I know that I will probably never win a race in my lifetime but I don't think it is out of the question either.  I just love getting up in the morning and pushing myself and envisioning great results at an upcoming race makes it fun for me.  The great additonal benefits of living healthy and being in a better mood is always good too!!

Ryan

2009-12-28 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Power Meters

Anybody in the group training with power on the bike?  I am just wondering if there is a low cost solution out there to get one that still performs reasonably well.  I see some power meters going for more than a grand.  I am sure it is like anything else..you get what you pay for.  Steve - do most of your athletes use power based training?

Ryan

2009-12-28 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2580188

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Power Meters
The CT is by far the best investment I made in '09 (other than hiring Steve ).  Before I was riding Spinervals and not really paying attention to anything other than maybe HR and cadence.  With the CT, I know exactly how hard I am working at all times.   Even with the CT, the real benefit is doing very specific workouts.  With Steve, I get a weeks worth of rides that target specific energy systems so no time is wasted.  I rarely if ever just ride a course for the heck of it.

You are right, it isn't cheap.  Last year, I went to a class that used CTs so that was my first exposure. If you have something like that in your area it could be a decent alternative so long as you have the right workouts.

rymac - 2009-12-28 11:29 AM

Anybody in the group training with power on the bike?  I am just wondering if there is a low cost solution out there to get one that still performs reasonably well.  I see some power meters going for more than a grand.  I am sure it is like anything else..you get what you pay for.  Steve - do most of your athletes use power based training?

Ryan

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-28 12:02 PM
2009-12-28 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
CT girl here myself. I bought one this fall. Biking is by far my limiter in triathlons. I decided to buy one in an attempt to become a stronger cyclist. Every workout I do has a purpose to it. No junk miles in my life.

I am not sure how I got by without it now that I have one. Let me go on to say I am not sure how I trained before I hired Steve.

Suzy, do you have a powertap on your road bike?

2009-12-28 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

First two questions for me.  I need to get back to the pool and start running a little.  What is the best way to get started again?  Length of workout in time/yards and time/miles?  Run/walk interval?

Why do I train?  I like working out, being in shape, and meeting goals.  Not at all for the racing aspect.

2009-12-28 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2580188

User image

Elite
Chicago

Ryan

Hey Ryan:

85% of my athletes train with power, but that has increased from last year since I "suggested" to some of them to get a CT.    A HRM is mandatory if I coach someone, but power is optional.  I trained/raced for 8 years w/o power before I got it...so it can be done.  It's just that your cycling training becomes slightly more efficient and quantitative with power compared to HRM bike trng.  However, with that said, I am not an advocate of solely training by power.  I tell all my athletes that they need to continue to be aware and check the other two indicators (i.e. RPE and HR) when training in order to properly "triangulate" what is happening to them during any given workout.  "Chasing watts" is just not prudent.

Regarding power meter options, my opinion is that currently there are only 3 contenders you should look to:  (1) SRM, (2) Powertap, (3) Quarq.  There are a couple other power meters coming to market in 2010 that look promising (the relaunched Ergomo and the new Metrigear PM).  The iBike has received good press and reviews but you can't use it effectively indoors on the trainer.

I personally have just the CT because I don't mind riding inside at all and live in Chicago where we really only get a good 4-6 months of predictable outdoor riding.  Additionally, the CT has some great adjunct products you use with it; one of them being Ergvideos.  Until the "other" guys catch up with CT, CT pretty much has a monopoly right now.  They are to indoor power training as the Rockefellers were to the oil industry before the 1890 Sherman Antitrust Act.

It took me 8 LONG years to buy a CT.  I would drool over it every year at the bike expo I went to and would dream about it at night...until one day I pulled the trigger and always said to myself "why did I wait so llllooonnng" 

The last point I will make will sound quite self serving, but my personal recommendation is before you buy a CT, spend $1,600 on a season of personal triathlon coaching with a coach you believe in and can connect with.  Honestly, it's what I did (got a coach then a couple seasons later got a CT) and I can tell you I improved MUCH more with the right coach than I would have ever improved with a CT.  But hey, what do I know...I'm just a coach telling you to get a coach.   ha ha ha.

Seriously though, too many triathletes want to "gadget" their way to improvement when what many triathletes really need is a solid foundation, specific build period(s) tailored to their strengths/weaknesses, and to train smart (not hard).  I can tell you that I am no faster on my $7,000 titanium triathlon bike than I was on my $1,500 aluminum triathlon bike...period.

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-28 1:22 PM
2009-12-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2580374

User image

Elite
Chicago
retiretotri - 2009-12-28 1:05 PM

First two questions for me.  I need to get back to the pool and start running a little.  What is the best way to get started again?  Length of workout in time/yards and time/miles?  Run/walk interval?

Why do I train?  I like working out, being in shape, and meeting goals.  Not at all for the racing aspect.

Hi Lori:

Regarding the pool; first and foremost, get in the water for 20-30 min 4-6x/week.  Focus not on volume, focus not on specific works sets, focus not on time/100m.  Focus solely on feeling smooth and relaxed in the water and hire a "good" swim coach to get your technique refined.  A HUGE part of swimming is simply feeling the water and ingraining good technique.  Every single time you hit the pool your goal should be to get finished with your swim being able to swim more efficiently.  You goal in your pool sessions should NEVER be to get the volume in, get the drills done, or get the workout done.  If you are not specifically focusing on becoming a better swimming, a more efficient swimmer each time you hit the water, you are just wasting your time in the pool.  Focus on FREQUENT but short swims that are centered around specific technique adjustments you need to make...nothing more than that.

Regarding running:  it appears that you haven't been undertaking any consistent running since August 2009 ended therefore I would focus on doing short runs 3x/week for the first month and spending time in zone 1 and zone 2 only.  you want to get your stabilizer muscles and connective tissues reacquainted with the demands for running.  I would only recommend a run/walk strategy if you have trouble keeping your HR in z1/z2.

After the first month is done, reassess how you're feeling and begin to SLOWLY increase volume 5-7%/week for the next 4 weeks.
2009-12-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2580403

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Steve- - 2009-12-28 2:19 PM

Ryan

Hey Ryan:

85% of my athletes train with power, but that has increased from last year since I "suggested" to some of them to get a CT.    A HRM is mandatory if I coach someone, but power is optional.  I trained/raced for 8 years w/o power before I got it...so it can be done.  It's just that your cycling training becomes slightly more efficient and quantitative with power compared to HRM bike trng.  However, with that said, I am not an advocate of solely training by power.  I tell all my athletes that they need to continue to be aware and check the other two indicators (i.e. RPE and HR) when training in order to properly "triangulate" what is happening to them during any given workout.  "Chasing watts" is just not prudent.

Regarding power meter options, my opinion is that currently there are only 3 contenders you should look to:  (1) SRM, (2) Powertap, (3) Quarq.  There are a couple other power meters coming to market in 2010 that look promising (the relaunched Ergomo and the new Metrigear PM).  The iBike has received good press and reviews but you can't use it effectively indoors on the trainer.

I personally have just the CT because I don't mind riding inside at all and live in Chicago where we really only get a good 4-6 months of predictable outdoor riding.  Additionally, the CT has some great adjunct products you use with it; one of them being Ergvideos.  Until the "other" guys catch up with CT, CT pretty much has a monopoly right now.  They are to indoor power training as the Rockefellers were to the oil industry before the 1890 Sherman Antitrust Act.

It took me 8 LONG years to buy a CT.  I would drool over it every year at the bike expo I went to and would dream about it at night...until one day I pulled the trigger and always said to myself "why did I wait so llllooonnng" 

The last point I will make will sound quite self serving, but my personal recommendation is before you buy a CT, spend $1,600 on a season of personal triathlon coaching with a coach you believe in and can connect with.  Honestly, it's what I did (got a coach then a couple seasons later got a CT) and I can tell you I improved MUCH more with the right coach than I would have ever improved with a CT.  But hey, what do I know...I'm just a coach telling you to get a coach.   ha ha ha.

Seriously though, too many triathletes want to "gadget" their way to improvement when what many triathletes really need is a solid foundation, specific build period(s) tailored to their strengths/weaknesses, and to train smart (not hard).  I can tell you that I am no faster on my $7,000 titanium triathlon bike than I was on my $1,500 aluminum triathlon bike...period.

Thanks for the detailed response...so many fun toys to choose from.  I can see where you are coming from with getting a coach prior to pulling the trigger on a CT or other similar device.  I kind of want to see how much improvement I can make this year over the year prior and evaluate after that.  If I am still making steady gains utilizing HR and self-coaching then I will probably hold off a little longer.  If I stall out I may be hunting down a coach to get some better feedback.

Ryan

2009-12-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2580471

User image

Elite
Chicago
rymac - 2009-12-28 1:48 PM

Steve- - 2009-12-28 2:19 PM

Ryan

Hey Ryan:

Thanks for the detailed response...so many fun toys to choose from.  I can see where you are coming from with getting a coach prior to pulling the trigger on a CT or other similar device.  I kind of want to see how much improvement I can make this year over the year prior and evaluate after that.  If I am still making steady gains utilizing HR and self-coaching then I will probably hold off a little longer.  If I stall out I may be hunting down a coach to get some better feedback.

Ryan

We are here for you.  You got questions?  We got answers (most of the time).  :0

2009-12-28 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I just want add to the power conversation.  I have both a CT and a powertap.  These tools are great and if you have the means, and know how to use them, your cycling will improve utilizing them.   The big caveat is "knowing how to use it".   I, also, am a big fan of HR training, but power takes it to the next level.  Not only is it great in training, it is a great advantage in long course racing (and short course, but definitely long course).  Its just too easy to hammer at the beginning of these longer races, and if you can keep your power in the range it needs to be, you will find yourself running off the bike better than ever. 

I was able to get into the power game by checking out craigslist.  You have to be careful here, but if you do your homework, you can get some good deals.  I happened to get a one year old PT with wheel for $500.  The guy was a pro and was upgrading to wireless.  

I have been training with power for 3 years now, so if you have more specific questions, I would be happy to respond. 

Other than that, I have been offline enjoying the holiday, but still getting my workouts in.  Will be around a little more now that Xmas is over.

Oh yeah, loved the motivation conversation.  I have a few things that keep me motivated, and it seems to be different at different times.   I will say, I do have a few quotes on my mirror that I do read on those tougher mornings.  But, I just love to train.  Love, love, love it!

2009-12-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2580289

User image

Champion
TracyV - 2009-12-28 12:25 PM CT girl here myself. I bought one this fall. Biking is by far my limiter in triathlons. I decided to buy one in an attempt to become a stronger cyclist. Every workout I do has a purpose to it. No junk miles in my life.

I am not sure how I got by without it now that I have one. Let me go on to say I am not sure how I trained before I hired Steve.

Tracy--I don't have a powertap yet, but am getting one for my new GURU in the next couple of months.  Totally excited to take the power experience outside.  I think it will make the LOOOOONG SJ workouts a lot easier this summer.

Steve--you're holding out on us, what is an ERGVideo and why don't I have one?

Scott-Welcome back to the BT world.  Which PT  do you have and why?  I am looking at either the Pro or SL+.  One of my serious riding friends uses the SL+ and thinks it is basically bomb proof.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-28 4:20 PM
2009-12-28 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2580732

User image

Elite
Chicago
SSMinnow - 2009-12-28 4:16 PM
TracyV - 2009-12-28 12:25 PM CT girl here myself. I bought one this fall. Biking is by far my limiter in triathlons. I decided to buy one in an attempt to become a stronger cyclist. Every workout I do has a purpose to it. No junk miles in my life.

Tracy--I don't have a powertap yet, but am getting one for my new GURU in the next couple of months.  Totally excited to take the power experience outside.  I think it will make the LOOOOONG SJ workouts a lot easier this summer.

Steve--you're holding out on us, what is an ERGVideo and why don't I have one?

Scott-Welcome back to the BT world.  Which PT  do you have and why?  I am looking at either the Pro or SL+.  One of my serious riding friends uses the SL+ and thinks it is basically bomb proof.

www.ergvideo.com
2009-12-28 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Thanks Steve!

I am hoping cross country skiing will help my running comeback a little bit. 

My OWS improved a lot over the summer and I hope some of that will transfer to the pool.  No drills just strictly working on swimming? 

2009-12-28 9:03 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
Hey all,
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been traveling all around the Midwest visiting family for the holidays. In the process, I have trained less and eaten more than planned. I was back on the training horse today with an easy 20 minute run. I have a 10K race on Friday so my training for this week will be primarily focused on running leading up to the race.

2009-12-29 5:49 AM

User image

Champion
Q: If someone has never done a tri and fears the run, what approach might you suggest to get them through the 5K?

I was at a party last night and a 43 year old guy I know came up to me to talk tris.  He knows I do them and I was pretty sure he wanted to try one based on some conversations last summer. He used to be an athlete, got married, totally stopped doing anything, but partying and working. I suggested we do a sprint together this July. His biggest fear is the run (which alwasy baffles me), he swam in highschool (claims he can OWS) and has a bike.  He asked me to be his "Jillian" to get him ready. Any thoughts on how to approach a running program for a total non runner?  Pretty sure he is going through a mid-lilfe crisis .

Suzy
2009-12-29 5:57 AM
in reply to: #2581412

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
SSMinnow - 2009-12-29 6:49 AM Q: If someone has never done a tri and fears the run, what approach might you suggest to get them through the 5K?

Suzy

I think people are afraid of the impact and joint pain.  Plus in order to run at all you need a certain amount of fitness to keep your HR and breathing down.  Where in the swim and bike you can do it at a relaxed pace.  encourage light running with walk breaks to start.

Plus (this is an old psych degree talking here so take w/ a grain of salt)  The last time a lot of people have run at all is when they were afraid or when they were much younger.  There may be some anxiety about getting started.

Edited by knewbike 2009-12-29 6:55 AM
2009-12-29 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
SSMinnow - 2009-12-29 5:49 AM Q: If someone has never done a tri and fears the run, what approach might you suggest to get them through the 5K?

I was at a party last night and a 43 year old guy I know came up to me to talk tris.  He knows I do them and I was pretty sure he wanted to try one based on some conversations last summer. He used to be an athlete, got married, totally stopped doing anything, but partying and working. I suggested we do a sprint together this July. His biggest fear is the run (which alwasy baffles me), he swam in highschool (claims he can OWS) and has a bike.  He asked me to be his "Jillian" to get him ready. Any thoughts on how to approach a running program for a total non runner?  Pretty sure he is going through a mid-lilfe crisis .

Suzy

You really can't help them sufficiently until you (and maybe even themselves) figure out where the "fear" originates from; if in fact it is fear and not something else like unwillingness.
2009-12-29 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
My sister-in-law had a "fear" of running, but wanted to join a group of family members and friends who committed to run a 1/2 marathon.  I hooked her up with a run-walk running group where she has excelled.  It seems her "fear" was that she would not be able to run as well as others and would not be able to ever build up the milage.  The key was going slowly and being with people who did not discount what she was doing just b/c she was slower and not as accomplished as they.  One of her friends was the same way - sure that she'd never get fast and never build up the milage.  She too joined a "nice" running group; took things slowly and now loves to run and both are ready for their first 1/2 marathon.

So, the fear (at least theirs') was more a lack of confidence which dissipated with each run.

2009-12-29 10:19 AM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
My husband wasn't so much afraid of running as he just couldn't run. He was, and still is, overweight. He'd been doing speed walking for a while to loose some weight before trying to run. When he first decided to switch to running, he was a little afraid that because of his weight, he might hurt himself more than help himself. We found a walk to run training program that he progressed through quite quickly and it worked really well for him. He was able to progress through it faster than one week at a time as he had the speed walking base already.
http://www.frcols.com/articles/article/4164936/66298.htm

2009-12-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2581897

User image

Champion

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-29 2:40 PM
2009-12-29 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
How about a couch to 5k program?  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtm
It's a run/walk program that seems to me would gradually get him running to get over the fear.  Not sure how to incorporate tri training in also, but that's kind of what I'm working on now for myself.
2009-12-30 5:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Tried something new today.  I have a longer run scheduled on Wednesdays.  I usually do my long run an Saturdays outside but doing that on the weekdays had been difficult at best due to working all of the daylight hours.

But I got this cool led headlight for christmas so I got up at  4:30, dressed for 15 degrees, strapped the light on and ran from my front door to the local rec area, through the trails and back.  I was a little freaked out by this at first but got used to it by the end.  So since nothing ate me, shot me or hit me I might do it again.
2009-12-30 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2583437

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

knewbike - 2009-12-30 6:41 AM Tried something new today.  I have a longer run scheduled on Wednesdays.  I usually do my long run an Saturdays outside but doing that on the weekdays had been difficult at best due to working all of the daylight hours.

But I got this cool led headlight for christmas so I got up at  4:30, dressed for 15 degrees, strapped the light on and ran from my front door to the local rec area, through the trails and back.  I was a little freaked out by this at first but got used to it by the end.  So since nothing ate me, shot me or hit me I might do it again.

I do most of my running in the dark early morning although I do not have a headlight.  I usually just run routes that are well lit and/or I know the terrain.  I just throw on my neon vest and a light around my wrist so that the few cars on the road can see me.  Kinda corny, but it is peaceful and quiet in the morning and I enjoy running at that time.  I am sure it will grow on you as well.

Ryan

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21