BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-10 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2576738

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED!
Hey gang! My training goals for the went peachy until Friday. We have had a death in the family and that meant lots of work on Friday to make up for the time I am going to be away next week. Training suffered but you can't dwell on it. The nice break was appreciated.

And we didn't train yesterday because of the temps. I think I just need to learn to embrace the cold weather and stop being a sissy about it. LOL And I am only in GA. I have no clue how my northern friends do it!

But overall the good news is we just completed a 5 mile run. I haven't run 5 miles since November 28 (a marathon) and before that it was November 14 (a half Marathon.) My last actual training run that was over 5 miles was November 8th. So today was a success. 5 miles in 1:00:58. It is not speedy but it is a nice run for me! Seeing as I ran 5 on November 8th in 1:00:43... I will take it!

2010-01-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2605744

User image

Veteran
maria40nc - 2010-01-10 9:31 AM

Can we talk nutrition?

What type of diet do ya'll follow, and what do you eat before and after workouts?

I am likely in the minority with a low-carb diet.  I work out so early in the morning, that I normally do not eat anything prior to morning workouts and then I eat a heavy breakfast immediately afterwards; usually something like eggs, salmon or chicken, and spinach or broccoli.  For evening workouts, I've already been eating all day so I stop a couple of hours before workout time and then generally have some sort of light protein meal after. 

With longer workouts, I'm thinking of adding a protein powder drink with fruit in it, and drink half before and half after; esp for strength training.

To answer your nutrition question, I am currently in the position of needing to lose just over 10lbs. In the past year+, I have lost over 40 lbs and have hit a pretty significant plateau. From April 09-December 09, I could not get below 145. I am currently sitting at 151 which is 4lbs above my average for the last 9 months.

I use Weight Watchers as my method of weight control. We try to follow the point system as best as possible but honestly once you plateau, you stop counting points. Over time you honestly get so used to your portion sizes and amount of food needed that you can stop counting the exact points. However, WW is not designed for anyone who does endurance sports. That is the biggest problem we have encountered (My husband does WW too and has lost 70lbs since our marriage 3.5 years ago) I currently struggle with understanding how much food my body needs to produce optimal training results while still losing weight. It is a very though balance. One that we really haven't figured out recently.

A good base of our foods are natural and organic. We try our best to stay about from processed foods and at minimum try and avoid hydrogenated oils, trans fats and artificial sweeteners. I am very lucky that my husband loves to cook and experiment with new foods. It is not exactly a "nutrition plan" per say but it does keep us really healthy and with good energy. We are in the carb loving category of people and honestly it is what we both crave after working out. Well that and chocolate milk.

My meals around workout times vary due to my crazy schedule. Sometimes I eat before a workout. I honestly try not to eat before my morning swims but sometimes I need to. A typical breakfast for me is plain oatmeal. I know that my diet is much lower in protein than it should be so occasionally I will add protein powder to it. It seems that the protein is a big preventative in me losing weight so it is a catch 22.

I usual following afternoon and evening workouts with protein. After our 5 mile run today I had a monkey shake. (You can read about it on my blog here... LOL if not it sounds kinda funny) I added milk, a banana and some pineapple to today's shake. It won't be a meal replacement but it provides a ton of protein and carbs to replace what I just burned and it satisfies my chocolate milk/carb craving after a workout. Again I always seem to have a hard time eating protein after a workout because it just isn't what I crave so anyway I can get it, i will.

Not sure it really answers your questions but that I how I approach nutrition. Hopefully I can finally get down to 135-139 sometime this year!
2010-01-10 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Tania -- that looks good to me
Stef -- sorry to hear about the death in your family (but great job on the 5 miler!)

Edited by trishie 2010-01-10 4:36 PM
2010-01-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2606259

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Stef -- sorry to hear about the death in your family (but great job on the 5 miler!)

Stephanie, sorry to hear about your loss (hug).  I've been trying to embrace the cold weather too, but chickened out this past Sunday.  My training partner and I decided to go with trainer rides rather than braving the 32 deg temp on bike again.  I'm so thankful to have a trainer and a treadmill; no excuses!  Good job on the 5 mile run!

I have a few pounds to lose myself, maybe 4 or 5.  Like you, prefer whole natural foods, and follow pretty close to the Paleo for Athletes diet.  Your monkey shake sounds good!

Tania - I think your plan looks very doable.  I'm trying to incorporate more protein shakes with fruit to help build my carbs up a bit.  I'm used to eating quite low carb, so I need to re-adjust my mindset to allow a bit more during heavy workout days. 

I made my protein shake with strawberries today for after my swim but left it in the car!  And by the time I get a shower and dress it is 45 min later.  I need to remember to take it in with me and have it right away before I start getting ready for work.

Then I had my favorite breakfast...  4 oz of salmon, 2 over medium eggs, and sauteed spinach!  Mmmmm!!!!

My son left yesterday to go back to college, so I'm an empty nester again.  But it makes it easier for me to focus on training and eating properly.  He brought home his P90X DVD and told me that I would not be able to do the 15 min Ab Ripper workout.  I said, "you underestimate your mom!"  But I had to concede, he was right.  I could not do it all.

2010-01-11 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
happy monday, all !

how was everyone's weekend?

I got in my long long run since the IM --- a 10 miler around the city. It felt pretty good but it was hard to get comfortable, temperature wise.

Yesterday my husband and I went for our weekly volunteer time at our local shelter and got FIVE CATS adopted yay!!

this week I just plan on getting in more runs and building my volume.

what's on tap for everyone ?
2010-01-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2607121

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Trishie - Way to go on your 10 miler!  Do tell... what was the temp?  And great job finding homes for the kitties!  I'm an animal lover too.  I have a dog and two cats, all adopted/rescued.

On tap for this week...

1.  Follow training plan, no excuses.  Going to try a spinning class in place of trainer one time this week.

2.  Consistent weight/core training.

3.  Get in some yoga/flexibility!  I think I feel some discomfort in my achilles tendons, and I'm scared!  If I don't do better with stretching, I'm going to wind up with an injury.

4.  Get my way of eating back on track!  My son left yesterday to go back to college, so my nest is once again empty.  But at least all the extra food is out of the house now!

2010-01-11 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
My Goal for this week is just to keep moving. The next few days will be a wash with all of the travel and the funeral but DH and I are trying to stay positive. We are both taking running gear and the bikes so hopefully we get in some good exercise.

My honest goal is to get in two runs (of any distance) and one Bike. Hopefully we can focus our at home time at doing some core work while hanging out with family (that should be interesting LOL)
2010-01-11 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2607121

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi Gang,

Arrived home at 11 PM last night after thee days of amazing skiing. Back to work today 8AM - 7:30 PM (yes almost 12 hrs) now home exhausted with no workout today...but iwill be up early tomorrow for a run and to the pool tomorow night

Will catch up on everyone's posts soon...feel behind in everything!

Good to be back...

Cool Pamela
2010-01-12 7:33 AM

happy tuesday all!

my goal this week is to stick to my training schedule.  last week i got all my workouts in, even though i had to switch up my rest day to accomodate some auditions and a rehearsal that prevented me from working out.  But, flexibility is good.  I figure if I can make it through the first month without having to skip a workout (barring injury), i'll be ready to stick to it for the whole season!

my big question this week for the group: tri bike or road bike?  (and yes, i know there have been many articles/threads on this subject.  i'm just gathering opinions.)  i was all ready to buy something shiny and new and tri-specific, but in talking with my more experienced cycling friends, i'm slowly being convinced a road bike with aero bars and switchable seat post is the way to go.  i want to be able to ride with my friends, but i also want to be FAST.    what think you all?

Erika

2010-01-12 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Steph - Sounds like you have a good attitude despite the recent challenges.

Pamela - 11 pm!!! Surprised  Bless your heart; make sure you get enough rest!

Erika - I'm too new to be thinking Tri bikes just yet, but I love my road bike with aerobars. I didn't know about switchable seatpost?  I'll have to check into that.  Maybe that's the way to go for me too.

I met a couple of people trying to form a Tri group in my area.  We are meeting tomorrow evening.  I'll go, but I must admit that I lack the confidence to participate with a group.  With only four sprints, I guess I feel more like a "wannabe" than like a triathlete.  I haven't paid my dues yet and I'm not up to speed for group rides; but we'll see how it goes.

2010-01-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2606983

Regular
maria40nc - 2010-01-11 7:45 AM

My son left yesterday to go back to college, so I'm an empty nester again.  But it makes it easier for me to focus on training and eating properly.  He brought home his P90X DVD and told me that I would not be able to do the 15 min Ab Ripper workout.  I said, "you underestimate your mom!"  But I had to concede, he was right.  I could not do it all.

Ha ha Maria - I have Ab Ripper X.  I can do crunches forever but can't make it through the DVD doing all 25 reps on each exercise.  It's tough - core rather than just abs.  I highly recommend it!

2010-01-12 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Stef --- hope you are doing okay. Even a short run/ workout may help with the stress ((()))

Pam --- tell us about your trip ! Where were you?

Erika -- oh, the tri bike v. road bike endless debate I bought a road bike from my friend, used clip on aero bars, got a FF seat post... and could never get comfortable in it in aero. Maybe it wasn't the road bike w/ aero bars - maybe the bike just didn't fit me. I think that if you are going to primarily do tris --- get a tri bike. I wish I had just gone that route first. If you think you'll do a lot of riding in groups, you probably do want a road bike. The only group rides I did were with 1-2 other people, so safety wasn't an issue. Keep us posted

Maria -- you've done a triathlon - you are a triathlete ! I personally don't like group rides because I am a slow cyclist and hate feeling behind.... but you may find someone who bikes at your speed, and if you don't want to bike with them, maybe you can meet up for swims and runs? if anything it will be a great way to make new friends

Walton -- how's it going?

2010-01-12 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2610550

Regular
trishie - 2010-01-12 6:18 PM

Walton -- how's it going?

Ha ha - it' Tania - sometimes I forget to sign my posts because I have an automatic signature at work.  Going great!  I am sensing a lot of changes in my body - tired when I would normally be awake (like at 10 PM when I should be sleeping), wide awake when I would have thought I'd be tired.  The first week I felt like doing nothing but sleeping.  This week I feel energized.

I'm so excited about this whole process.  I have always wanted to complete a triathlon and now I am on the road to doing so.  Thanks to all for your amazing stories.  I feel so inspired to continue and share my amazing story (when it happens).

One question - though I do enjoy all the camaraderie here - do we ever discuss race-day things like tips in the transitions or what to expect during the swim, or rules for the bike ride?  These are the things that freak me out and make me lose sleep.

Keep up the good work ladies!  It's a pleasure to know you all!

Tania

2010-01-12 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2610550

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey gang,

Well skiing was incredible! I will write more later.

Seems like I am fighting the clock since I returned. Worked over 11 hrs yesterday, 10 today and still not caught up.

Got home from the pool tonight @ 8:15 PM. Quick dinner and a load of laundry and here I am entering my workouts from today.  Did a 30 min run this morning (in the dark!) and swim at the pool tonight after work.

Tomorrow my meetings start at 8 AM and last one at 4 PM then off to a corporate event from 6 PM - 10 PM tomorrow night. Waaahhh....I guess I am whining big time and should be thankful I have a great job in this current economy.

So I just concluded the only time I have to do my planned workouts tomorrow is before work. Which means getting to the gym no later than 5:30 AM (up at 5:00 AM) back to the house by 7:00 AM and out the door by 7:30 AM.

If I shave my head and don't have to blow dry my hair I could save 20-30 mins a day

It's going to be a long day.  Need to get to bed...about an hour ago!

Pamela (also known tonight as "Miss Tired & Cranky")
2010-01-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2610565

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-01-12 7:33 PM

One question - though I do enjoy all the camaraderie here - do we ever discuss race-day things like tips in the transitions or what to expect during the swim, or rules for the bike ride?  These are the things that freak me out and make me lose sleep.

Tania

Tania,

sure, absolutely ! ask away
2010-01-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2611000

User image

Pro
Burbs

Pamela -- hope you can catch up on some sleep this weekend ! During IM training I always pulled my hair back into a bun/ ponytail .. I had no time to blowdry/ straighten after a morning swim, and the extra 15 min went to either sleeping or training more

2010-01-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2610565

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
waltontl - 2010-01-12 7:33 PM One question - though I do enjoy all the camaraderie here - do we ever discuss race-day things like tips in the transitions or what to expect during the swim, or rules for the bike ride?  These are the things that freak me out and make me lose sleep.

Tania

Great questions!  With it being the off season, it's easy to be consumed with training to the exclusion of thinking about actual race day.  And when you are new, you don't even know what questions to ask!

As far as transition for sprint distance, the best advice I can think of is to KEEP IT SIMPLE!  And run, do not walk, into and out of the transition area.  Set it up in the order you will need things and place them on a towel ready to grab and go.  For T1 - remove goggles and swim cap as you're running, wipe feet on end of towel as you put on helmet, shove feet into cycle shoes, grab sunglasses if needed, unrack bike and run out of transition.  Be sure to drink plenty of fluids on the bike and not waste time drinking during transition.  T2 - rack bike, remove helmet as you kick cycle shoes off, slip on running shoes, put on race number belt as you run from transition. 

For swim you can expect it to be chaotic, and that goes for both pool and open water.  Just relax and find your rhythm.  Anything goes... so feel free to breast stroke, side stroke, or whatever it takes to get to the finish.  I did do some breast stroking at my first tri.

Main rules for bike would be to stay right unless you are passing.  You MUST stay 3 bike lengths back from the person in front of you unless you are passing and I believe you must try to pass in about 30 seconds (not sure on that).  If you ride within 3 bike lengths you can be penalized.   If someone passes you, it is your responsibility to back off to allow the 3 bikes lengths between again.

There is usually a meeting the evening before the race.  They will tell you the rules and what to expect and they usually have demonstrations on how to set up your transition site too.  Make sure you know where your bike is racked and the directions for entering and exiting the transition area for each of the legs.

Hope this helps!
2010-01-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2611285

Regular
trishie - 2010-01-13 8:31 AM
waltontl - 2010-01-12 7:33 PM

Tania

Tania,

sure, absolutely ! ask away [/QUOTE

Thanks - and thanks to Maria for the advice.  I'll print that out and make sure to memorize it.

So, do you bike and run in your swim suit?  Wouldn't you chafe?  What about putting on a sports bra for the run?  How do you handle that?

These questions are so basic but it's the kind of things I think about.  I like to have a plan.

Thanks!

Tania
2010-01-13 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2612404

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Tania - asked those exact same questions for first Tri.  I had no idea what to wear!  I ended up wearing just a heavy sports bra and compression shorts at my first Tri.  I had no idea what a Tri top or Tri shorts were or even where to get them.

You do not change clothes in a sprint Tri.  So plan on swimming, biking, and running in the same thing; and on being wet the whole way or at least until the wind dries you!  To be honest, what you wear has some do with your breast size and how much support you are going to need when you get to the run. 

I've managed to lose some weight and can wear a really snug Tri top with Tri shorts and not have to worry about added breast support.  Some women will wear a support bra underneath a Tri top or swimsuit.  Some wear a swimsuit and then pull on shorts in transition.  If you have a Tri store in your area, you can start by looking there.  You can also browse online.   

As for chaffing there is a product called "glide" that looks like a deodorant stick you can use, or you can use chamois cream.  But a sprint is short enough that you may not need anything.

Whatever you decide on, be sure to practice swimming in it to see if it causes drag or holds too much water.  I think a Tri top and shorts are best, which is what I am wearing in my avatar.
2010-01-13 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2612445

Regular
Maria - thanks it's good to know I'm not being overly anal!

For my first tri (May22) I plan to wear a wetsuit, so I'll have to strip out of that before the bike portion (right?).  Based on your advice, for my August tri I'm thinking of wearing a tri-top and swim bottoms (to reduce drag) and then slipping on spandex shorts/tri bottoms during the transition to bike.  I'm VERY sure that the 2 seconds it'll take me to pull on some shorts is well worth the reduction in time for the swim (I'm already slow).

Yes/No?

Tania
2010-01-13 8:58 PM

Hi gals!!!! Been delayed in getting on here and missing reading what everyone is up to.  I'm not going to let myself be Debbie Downer but just struggling with feeling overwhelmed, putting everyone else first, and feeling frustrated that I'm not getting the workouts in that I really would like.  I'm in the last quarter of completing my masters, have tween kids, and my husband travels usually one week a month.... so not to have a pity party for myself because I am so BLESSED just really needing to make a schedule and tape it to the refrigerator so everyone knows "mom's plans" and hopefully will feel more successful at all of this.  Had a great swim Sunday and felt really good about that.... determined to get a run in early tomorrow morning!  And then make sure Fri, Sat, and Sun I get longer workouts in because of having more time. 

It's so great to hear what every one else is doing and so incredibly motivating.  I have so much to learn from you all and would love any feedback on how you find time to get these workouts in.  Hope you all are having a great week!!!!
Tara

2010-01-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2612848

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-01-13 9:27 PM Maria - thanks it's good to know I'm not being overly anal!

For my first tri (May22) I plan to wear a wetsuit, so I'll have to strip out of that before the bike portion (right?).  Based on your advice, for my August tri I'm thinking of wearing a tri-top and swim bottoms (to reduce drag) and then slipping on spandex shorts/tri bottoms during the transition to bike.  I'm VERY sure that the 2 seconds it'll take me to pull on some shorts is well worth the reduction in time for the swim (I'm already slow).

Yes/No?

Tania

I vote no...

It will take way longer than 2 seconds to pull on shorts when you're already wet and a little nervous !

I would wear a tri top and tri shorts for the whole race... really simplifies things! Since your swim is wetsuit legal, just put your wetsuit over your trip top and tri shorts, then take it off when you get into T1. Don't worry about drag -- your wetsuit will make you really buoyant.

For your race number -- invest in a race number belt (usually a couple bucks) to throw around your waist when you finish the bike.

2010-01-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2613342

Regular

I vote no...

It will take way longer than 2 seconds to pull on shorts when you're already wet and a little nervous !

Thanks - that's good feedback!  I'll look into getting some tri gear to wear on race day.

btw - I'm so excited!  I have been wondering and wondering what I was going to do about the bike I was going to ride.  I have a hybrid that's OK for the street and light trails, which is where I normally ride.  But that won't do if I want to be competitive, even if only with myself.  So I thought I could borrow a bike or rent a bike or get a used bike and I explored all those options without any real satisfaction.  Well, my DH and I talked and he said I can buy a tri-specific bike!!  And when I say "he says I can..."  it's strictly from a financial perspective. 

I'll probably look locally this weekend, but I've also heard good things about Bikes Direct.  Anyone have good or bad dealings with them?

AND (lastly) - I start swim lessons on Tuesday.  The Y swim coaches are being very generous and trying to help me during the normal swim team practice so I don't have to shell out money for private lessons.  I just need help with my stroke and to be more efficient.  Well, that's my opinion.  We'll see what they say on Tuesday!

Thanks so much to all,

Tania
2010-01-15 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
I used a hybrid for my first two triathlons before finally getting a road bike.  It certainly does make a difference to have a good bike!  I doubt I'll be getting a Tri bike any time soon, but maybe when it comes time for Ironman. 

well I just registered for the Warrior Dash!  It's a "fire leaping, mud crawling, beer drinking run from hell...!!!" Woo hoo!!!  It's 2 weeks after my first HIM, so will be such a fun way to wind down.  I think we'll make it a camping trip and if we're to be warriors we'll have to take some of those giant smoked turkey legs to gnaw off the bone with our beer.  I might not even bother to take any soap; we'll just play in the mud and stay dirty all weekend...

I can't wait to get one of those warrior hats and finisher's medal.  I'm going to wear it at the office and annoy all of my coworkers.

Stef - It's in Georgia on May 22!  Come do it with me!
2010-01-15 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2613342

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
GM Fierce Tri Women!

TGIF...I am soooo looking forward to a three day weekend

Part of which will be spent catching up on eveyone's posts..and SLEEP!

Pamela Cool
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12