General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-03-02 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3379014

User image

Regular
Kansas City
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
lisac957 - 2011-03-02 10:02 AM Is anyone interested in coordinating a BT camping contingency? Since you can put (what did it say?) 3 tents on each site, I know I will only need ummm. 1/3 of a site - anyone else in the same boat and want to combine? It's been fun in years past, to have a buncha the BTers all together, or at least know where everyone is.

hey Lisa i'm definitely interested in joining in on the camping, at least for the night prior to the race id definitely love to save myself a couple of z's in the morning

2011-03-03 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

So, how is everyone coming along with their training?  At about 14 weeks out from race day, are you where you want to be?

Yes & no for me.  My swimming is coming along okay, but I'm not quite where I would like to be with my bike & run.....not too far off though.  I've had some foot issues that have held me back some.  Combine that with the occasional laziness issue and well I've got a little bit of catching up to do.  Tongue out  I really hope to get out to KS once before June to ride the bike course.  Not a whole lot of hills to ride near where I live.....tons of wind though!

Happy training!!!!

2011-03-03 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I'll be reserving a campsite once reservations are open. It'll just be myself, so if anyone else wants to hop on board at my site send me a PM. I also be glad to try and reserve more than one spot in an effort to get camp sites next to each other should there be enough interest amongst the BT crowd.
2011-03-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3381073

User image

Veteran
Kansas
HollyW - 2011-03-03 11:13 AM

So, how is everyone coming along with their training?  At about 14 weeks out from race day, are you where you want to be?

Yes & no for me.  My swimming is coming along okay, but I'm not quite where I would like to be with my bike & run.....not too far off though.  I've had some foot issues that have held me back some.  Combine that with the occasional laziness issue and well I've got a little bit of catching up to do.  Tongue out  I really hope to get out to KS once before June to ride the bike course.  Not a whole lot of hills to ride near where I live.....tons of wind though!

Happy training!!!!

As well as can be expected for me, considering the Kansas weather thus far.  I am getting a heavy dose of cabin fever with the inability to consistently train outdoors.  I have about had it with my trainer and treadmill.  It seems like the the really nice days (today for instance) keeping hitting mid-week with a bit of a down turn over the weekend.  So far, only 2 outdoor rides, hoping for the third this weekend. 
2011-03-03 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Training is going so-so.  Migraine has ruined by schedule this week, plus travel this weekend. 
Swimming is coming along.  Need to get some open water time in May.
Running is progressing.  I have a 15k in a couple weeks.  Should give me a good idea on where I am at this time.
Tired of the bike trainer and spin classes.  I need to get outside on the bike soon.

I would definitely be interested in trying to camp near the BT group.  My wife and I are coming in Saturday.  She is my awsome support team and will be cheering along the run route.

Edited by Gmax101098 2011-03-03 1:13 PM
2011-03-03 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
I will be getting a campsite as well. We may have room for one more depending on if my kids come or not. (Trying to talk them into doing the IronKids race the day before). Is it Campsite #3 that I want?

As far as training goes.....My running has come ALONG way. My long runs are up to 9 miles now. My bike needs help. I probably can do the 56 miles but I am not fast at all and those hills will probably kill me. (I live in flat Indiana so no hills here). Only spin classes now so I am dying for the weather to get warmer so I can get out there and go. My swimming is probably the only thing I will do good at. My long swim days are around 4500 yards. Yep, that's the only thing I've got going for me.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

2011-03-03 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
HollyW - 2011-03-03 11:13 AM

Happy training!!!!

My 12 week plan starts in about 2 weeks, but I'm still staying active.  I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Maui, so of course I relaxed there a bit TOO much.  I got a huge tattoo on my leg there, so I can't start back swimming for another week.  I'll be fine on the bike, just trying to get faster and faster.  I have the Little Rock Half-Marathon this Sunday and a bunch more races and at least one sprint and a du between now and June to keep me on my toes

2011-03-03 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3381275

User image

Veteran
Kansas

Debbie - 2011-03-03 1:11 PM I will be getting a campsite as well. We may have room for one more depending on if my kids come or not. (Trying to talk them into doing the IronKids race the day before). Is it Campsite #3 that I want? As far as training goes.....My running has come ALONG way. My long runs are up to 9 miles now. My bike needs help. I probably can do the 56 miles but I am not fast at all and those hills will probably kill me. (I live in flat Indiana so no hills here). Only spin classes now so I am dying for the weather to get warmer so I can get out there and go. My swimming is probably the only thing I will do good at. My long swim days are around 4500 yards. Yep, that's the only thing I've got going for me. Hope everyone else is doing well.

4500 yards!! I only did that like twice training for Ironman Florida last November.  Make sure you don't accidently swim two laps out there when 1.2 miles feels like nothing to you Laughing

2011-03-04 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Ha Ha! The swim is the only thing I will be good at. It's discouraging doing well in the swim and then having everyone pass you on the bike like you are standing still.
2011-03-07 9:43 AM

User image

newburgh

Debbie,  I live in Southern IN and we don't have hills per say but  I rode the course a few weeks ago.  Kansas has IN hills.  So find the hilliest route you can in IN and you'll be fine for KS. 

Missed my first long ride last week and plantar facitisis is killing me and my running but still getting my long runs in.  Swim is good.  No 4500 though.     Same sentiment as everyone else.  Tired of this weather!!!  Want daylight and sun.

2011-03-07 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
hayes01, it looks like I may have to take a trip to Brown County one weekend and at least get a few of those hills down there in. There isn't many hills here in Fishers. Glad to see someone else from Indiana will be doing Kansas. My biking has really struggled. Just spin classes and I'm getting bored with the 45 minutes indoors. I'm really getting antsy to get out and start riding. Sorry to hear about your plantar facitisis. I hear that is painful. How are your long runs? What training plan are you using. Keep up the great work. June will be here before you know it.

2011-03-07 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3386214

User image

Veteran
Austin

Debbie - 2011-03-07 10:34 AM hayes01, it looks like I may have to take a trip to Brown County one weekend and at least get a few of those hills down there in. There isn't many hills here in Fishers. Glad to see someone else from Indiana will be doing Kansas. My biking has really struggled. Just spin classes and I'm getting bored with the 45 minutes indoors. I'm really getting antsy to get out and start riding. Sorry to hear about your plantar facitisis. I hear that is painful. How are your long runs? What training plan are you using. Keep up the great work. June will be here before you know it.

I spent 6 months going back and forth to Indy every week, so I persuaded the boss to ship one of my bikes up there. I rode out of town as often as I could. I was actually on my trainer in the hotel the morning that the earthquake hit - the bike shifted to one side for a second and scared the beejeebers out of me. Look forward to seeing the Indiana folks in KS.

2011-03-07 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Wow, triplebypat. You were on your trainer when the earthquake hit? I bet that was quite an experience. I wish I had a great story to tell like that but unfortunately I was in bed sound asleep. That's the second earthquake here in Indy I've slept through. I can't wait to get to Kansas and meeting all the BT's. My first HIM and I couldn't be more pumped.
2011-03-07 1:50 PM

User image

New user
Columbus, Indiana

I've been saying Kansas was my first A prioritiy race all season. Well, I just made it official and put my money down!

Training is going well. I've been much more organized than in the past and I think it's starting to pay off. Running faster than ever before, swimming faster and farther than ever, biking.....well I've put more time on the trainer than ever before. Hopefully it translates into faster bike times once the weather gets better. I've managed to get a couple rides in by catching the weather just right. Been focused on finding the biggest hills I can around Columbus Indiana, which basically means climbing up Youth Camp Hill over and over again. So far the hill has been winning!! Hopefully I can turn that around during my build phases!

Not sure if the kids and wife are coming yet. But, if I'm solo I'd be interested in carpooling with others traveling from Indiana.

2011-03-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3386214

User image

newburgh

Debbie - 2011-03-07 10:34 AM hayes01, it looks like I may have to take a trip to Brown County one weekend and at least get a few of those hills down there in. There isn't many hills here in Fishers. Glad to see someone else from Indiana will be doing Kansas. My biking has really struggled. Just spin classes and I'm getting bored with the 45 minutes indoors. I'm really getting antsy to get out and start riding. Sorry to hear about your plantar facitisis. I hear that is painful. How are your long runs? What training plan are you using. Keep up the great work. June will be here before you know it.

Long runs are pretty good.  Did a 1/2 marathon in February so endurance is already there.  I'm using the BT Beginner 1/2.

2011-03-07 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Just looked at the particpant list.  Over 900 registered so far.  Woo Hoo!!!

I think my running and swimming are coming along.  The rides on the trainer just don't tell me much. 

I have been experimenting with my nutrition.  Trying out different products to see what works best for me.

2011-03-07 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
I've been tweaking the BT training schedule a bit.....it probably doesn't even look like that training schedule anymore after I got done with it. I do my first Half Marathon in April but I think I will be okay since I did 10 miles on Saturday for my long run....my first 10 miles EVER. And the Half Marathon course is very flat which is good for me because I've been training flat. So, 900 are registered now? What does it usually get to?
2011-03-07 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3387012

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

Debbie - 2011-03-07 4:07 PM I've been tweaking the BT training schedule a bit.....it probably doesn't even look like that training schedule anymore after I got done with it. I do my first Half Marathon in April but I think I will be okay since I did 10 miles on Saturday for my long run....my first 10 miles EVER. And the Half Marathon course is very flat which is good for me because I've been training flat. So, 900 are registered now? What does it usually get to?

I just did my first Half as well on Sunday (Little Rock).  I was in the same boat, the longest before that was a 15K.  I got another half the Saturday after next.  Running is my down fall.  I'm a bigger guy and more used to sprints with fighting and stuff, so this "distance running" is a real eye opener to me.  I'll be about 20lbs lighter come June, so that should help.

2011-03-08 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3387012

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Debbie,

There were over 1,500 racers last year.

Still working on my running as well.  I have topped out at 10 miles so far.  Should have along run of 12 miles by the end of the month. 

2011-03-08 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Gmax, 1500 racers!!!!???? Wow! Is that the max? You and I are about together on our running. I should be around 12 at the end of the month too. I hit the treadmill today for a quick 4.5 miles (okay, it wasn't quick) and then a 3000 yard swim. I am dying to get off the treadmill. Today is nice but it is to rain any minute. I just can't catch a break. It's either really sunny and freezing or the temp is good but it's raining. I can't catch a break. I really want to get the bike down. So sick of the spin classes.
2011-03-08 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
I hear you Debbie, I just took my Cervelo in for it's tune up and taking the trainer tires off and putting the road ones on. Hopefully it will induce some good weather here.Sort of off the wall, but is anyone here also doing the Half in Branson in Sept?

2011-03-08 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3388921

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Debbie - 2011-03-08 3:42 PM

It's either really sunny and freezing or the temp is good but it's raining.

Sunny cold weather is my favorite to run in! Just gotta have the right gear. Really just a good pair of winter pants, maybe a fleece vest, gloves, and something for your ears/head. I can't imagine spending all winter indoors on a treaddie!

It's rainy here today, too, but I'm not sure that will keep me inside either

2011-03-08 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Pitbullzz, I hope that WILL bring good weather by changing your tires. Maybe that's what I need to do here. I hear the Half Branson is a tough one. I'd like to see how this one goes before I sign up for another one.
2011-03-08 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

Yeah, plenty of time from the Kansas race til the Branson.  I heard the hills were vicious.  I'm not too far away and might make a few trips before then.

2011-03-08 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Good luck pitbullzz. I actually think I read that in a triathlete magazine not too long ago that it was a toughy. Any plans for a full Ironman? Or have you already done one?

Lisa, I've done a few runs outside in the cold. I actually don't mind it too bad and you are right....as long as you are wearing the right gear it's not too bad. I think your rain is heading our way.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20