BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-04-14 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3446274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Open
BamaDC - 2011-04-14 3:26 PM

What's on everyone's schedule today?

Annoyingly I'm nursing a cold, but thankfully it going away and, since I'm tapering I'm not really missing too much training wise

2011-04-14 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3434029

User image

Veteran

For those that've done a HIM or are training for one.  I've read a few threads lately that debate how important the swim is.  Some say it's a bike race with a long run afterwards.  Others disagree and say swim fitness (or a lack thereof) will greatly impact the other two legs of the race.  Thoughts?  

I ask b/c I'm trying to find the right HIM training plan.  Of course, my current fitness is the determining factor when choosing a plan.

2011-04-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3446487

User image

Veteran
sicone - 2011-04-14 10:43 AM
BamaDC - 2011-04-14 3:26 PM

Annoyingly I'm nursing a cold, but thankfully it going away and, since I'm tapering I'm not really missing too much training wise

Bummer.  Hope it clears up fully by race day.  I've heard it's not unusual to get sick-ish or feel under-the-weather when tapering.

2011-04-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3446409

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2011-04-14 10:16 AM
BamaDC - 2011-04-14 10:26 AM

Hopefully, I can get in a run tonight. 6-7 miles would be great.

Yesterday I had to swap a 5 mile run for a 75 minute ride on the trainer.

Did the 5 min max power test this morning (sucked) and planning a 40-45 min easy run this evening.

Are those of use with power meters still planning to have a little competition to see who can increase there CP the most during the season?

I'm still in, but probably need to read up more on what's going on with the power meter.

My question from my ride the other day.... Can I take my ride from last Tuesday and use that to calculate/update my CP/FTP, even though I didn't set out to do a "test" for that day?  My 20 minute Power average was 203, when my previous was 189 on the trainer test.

Edited by pilotzs 2011-04-14 11:29 AM
2011-04-14 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3446575

User image

Expert
Alabama
mashmead - 2011-04-14 11:19 AM

For those that've done a HIM or are training for one.  I've read a few threads lately that debate how important the swim is.  Some say it's a bike race with a long run afterwards.  Others disagree and say swim fitness (or a lack thereof) will greatly impact the other two legs of the race.  Thoughts?  

I ask b/c I'm trying to find the right HIM training plan.  Of course, my current fitness is the determining factor when choosing a plan.

I've got a run tonight.  4-5 miles.

I think Titeloops might have some suggestions.  I know there are some BT plans that people have used.  I'm currently using the BT custom plan creator, and it looks like a pretty good plan once it's put together.  I've got it scheduled for my OLY in May, then I'll bridge that to the HIM for September (which will be my first).

Have you checked out the plans here?  Most of the comments about the plans on BT are that the Bike is light, but everything else is good.

2011-04-14 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3446617

User image

Veteran
pilotzs - 2011-04-14 11:33 AM

I think Titeloops might have some suggestions.  I know there are some BT plans that people have used.  I'm currently using the BT custom plan creator, and it looks like a pretty good plan once it's put together.  I've got it scheduled for my OLY in May, then I'll bridge that to the HIM for September (which will be my first).

Have you checked out the plans here?  Most of the comments about the plans on BT are that the Bike is light, but everything else is good.

I have checked the plans and 2 are looking good: the 12 wk oly to HIM bridge and the 20 wk HIM plan.  Looks like the 12 wk plan is heavier on the swim and run than the 20 wk but the 20 wk has more time in the saddle. 

Not sure which leg of the race could be considered make or break at that distance.  If there is one.

2011-04-14 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3446274

User image

Master
North Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-04-14 9:26 AM

Hopefully, I can get in a run tonight. 6-7 miles would be great.

Yesterday I had to swap a 5 mile run for a 75 minute ride on the trainer.

6.5mi tempo birthday run this morning. 30min bike, circuit workout, and pushup challenge at lunch.

DONE for the day!

2011-04-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3445996

User image

Master
titeloops - 2011-04-14 7:51 AM
jennitris - 2011-04-14 6:55 AM

titeloops - 2011-04-14 6:06 AM Heading to NOLA today. Weather is shaping up for a nice day and fast race on Sunday.

Good luck!  Can't wait to hear the race report!  What's your bib number if we want to track you online?

1093. My wave starts at 7:35

Good luck!  Make sure to stuff $10 in your running shorts so you can walk over and have some beignets at Cafe Du Monde after the race!  (They only take cash.)

2011-04-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3445821

User image

Master
sicone - 2011-04-14 4:58 AM If you've room for 2 more I'd like to join up me and my mate (he's got no net access til Sunday!)
My bio:
Name: Stavros

Story: My background is a little different to most. I entered a 3k fun run in July 2009 to see if I could complete it and was thoroughly unimpressed with my result (19min which I walked for at least half of, and it turned out to only be 1.5miles). This motivated me to find a training plan for a 5k run later in the year and found this site. One thing lead to another and a mate and I ended up entering 3 sprints that year.

FAMILY STATUS: With girlfriend for 4 yrs

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 4x/week, swimming 2-3x/week and cycling 4x/week

2010 RACES: Signed up for 2 pool based sprints and the London sprint but due to a bike accident 10 days before the last pool sprint, I had to miss that one out.

2011 Races: Sprint on 17th April. The rest are not finalised yet, but will include a couple more sprints and my first Oly.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've never really be concerned with my weight as it has almost always been around the 140lb mark.

Goals: Get my swimming to an almost respectable standard, do better in the first sprint race I did last year (17th April), improve my cycling and running and, if there's time after all that, finish the Oly!

Adam (Blinddave) will post when he get's back

Welcome!  Most importantly - what team do you cheer for over there?  I can never keep track of what team is where and who hates who, etc.  Just watched Liverpool kick the crap out of Man City yesterday (we get them on tape delay and aired sporadically).

2011-04-14 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

History- I have been in Law Enforcement for the past 15 years.  The lunches and dinners in the car had taken there toll.  In the fall of 2008 I went in for a check up and the doctor said that my BP was tooo high.  Doctor advised me to come back in a month and they would start me on blood pressure med.  I did not go back and started a new life style.  I changed my diet and began to eat 6 times a day.  I also began a weight and cardio routine.  Over the next year I lost 60 pounds and got to my current weight of 190lbs.  I went back to the Dr. six months after my first visit and the doctor could not believe the change.

Family-  I have been married for 11 years.  My wife has been supportive in all my efforts from work to my tri endeavors.  She has recently quit smoking and began training for her first sprint tri this summer.  I have two boys (9 and 15).   My boys have also taken up tris.  Last summer they both competed in races and they came in 2nd and 1st in there first race.

Races-  In 2010 I participated in two sprint triathlons.  I finished MOP and look forward to more racing this year.  I have signed up for a sprint in Muncie Indiana, OLY in downtown INDY and Iam debating about a HIM in Augusta, GA.

Training-  I was training six days a week until February 23rd,2011.  I received an arm injury while serving a search warrant.  I finally had surgery and have been out of training for past eight weeks.  It will be two more weeks until I will be fully released.

Goals - My short term goal is to get my fitness back to where I was 8 weeks ago.  My long term goal is a HIM this fall.

I was signed up for a mentor group this winter but could not participate...could not type.  I look forward to a good summer of training and racing.

2011-04-14 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

I will have to catch up on all the posts this Sunday.  Wife and I are taking a trip to Memphis,Tn.  I hope everybody has a good weekend.

Shawn Richards

2011-04-14 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3446849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
sand101 - 2011-04-14 7:09 PM
sicone - 2011-04-14 4:58 AM If you've room for 2 more I'd like to join up me and my mate (he's got no net access til Sunday!)
My bio:

Story: My background is a little different to most. I entered a 3k fun run in July 2009 to see if I could complete it and was thoroughly unimpressed with my result (19min which I walked for at least half of, and it turned out to only be 1.5miles). This motivated me to find a training plan for a 5k run later in the year and found this site. One thing lead to another and a mate and I ended up entering 3 sprints that year.

2010 RACES: Signed up for 2 pool based sprints and the London sprint but due to a bike accident 10 days before the last pool sprint, I had to miss that one out.

2011 Races: Sprint on 17th April. The rest are not finalised yet, but will include a couple more sprints and my first Oly.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've never really be concerned with my weight as it has almost always been around the 140lb mark.

Goals: Get my swimming to an almost respectable standard, do better in the first sprint race I did last year (17th April), improve my cycling and running and, if there's time after all that, finish the Oly!

Welcome!  Most importantly - what team do you cheer for over there?  I can never keep track of what team is where and who hates who, etc.  Just watched Liverpool kick the crap out of Man City yesterday (we get them on tape delay and aired sporadically).

I have to admit, keeping track of "Team Politics" is a science of it's own! Personally I only watch football (sorry, soccer!) when England play, but it helps to keep track of scores so you know who's going to be moody tomorrow at work
2011-04-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3446935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
srichards428 - 2011-04-14 2:38 PM

History- I have been in Law Enforcement for the past 15 years.  The lunches and dinners in the car had taken there toll.  In the fall of 2008 I went in for a check up and the doctor said that my BP was tooo high.  Doctor advised me to come back in a month and they would start me on blood pressure med.  I did not go back and started a new life style.  I changed my diet and began to eat 6 times a day.  I also began a weight and cardio routine.  Over the next year I lost 60 pounds and got to my current weight of 190lbs.  I went back to the Dr. six months after my first visit and the doctor could not believe the change.

Family-  I have been married for 11 years.  My wife has been supportive in all my efforts from work to my tri endeavors.  She has recently quit smoking and began training for her first sprint tri this summer.  I have two boys (9 and 15).   My boys have also taken up tris.  Last summer they both competed in races and they came in 2nd and 1st in there first race.

Races-  In 2010 I participated in two sprint triathlons.  I finished MOP and look forward to more racing this year.  I have signed up for a sprint in Muncie Indiana, OLY in downtown INDY and Iam debating about a HIM in Augusta, GA.

Training-  I was training six days a week until February 23rd,2011.  I received an arm injury while serving a search warrant.  I finally had surgery and have been out of training for past eight weeks.  It will be two more weeks until I will be fully released.

Goals - My short term goal is to get my fitness back to where I was 8 weeks ago.  My long term goal is a HIM this fall.

I was signed up for a mentor group this winter but could not participate...could not type.  I look forward to a good summer of training and racing.

Welcome.  A couple of people Jason (Pilotz) and Todd (titeloops) are doing Augusta, maybe others but I can't remember.

2011-04-14 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
srichards428 - 2011-04-14 1:38 PM

Great Job keeping the weight off.  I'm glad to see your boys have gotten into the sport.

2011-04-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3446993

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sicone - 2011-04-14 1:59 PM
My bio:

I have to admit, keeping track of "Team Politics" is a science of it's own! Personally I only watch football (sorry, soccer!) when England play, but it helps to keep track of scores so you know who's going to be moody tomorrow at work

I'm confused.  Are we talking about football, futbol or soccer?  I'm just glad ESPN has started carrying the Premier Leagues.

2011-04-14 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3447281

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-04-14 3:30 PM
sicone - 2011-04-14 1:59 PM
My bio:

I'm confused.  Are we talking about football, futbol or soccer?  I'm just glad ESPN has started carrying the Premier Leagues.

Depends on what side of the pond and/or channel you are...

Isn't everyone a Man U fan?

2011-04-14 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
srichards428 - 2011-04-14 1:38 PM

Yep, already signed up for Augusta HIM, so I'm in.

2011-04-14 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3447396

User image

Master
pilotzs - 2011-04-14 4:28 PM

I think you just ticked off about 3/4 of the British population. ;-)

---

On my end, had a good swim today.  Decided to really hit some 500s.  After my typical 1k warmup, I ripped off two 500s in 6:46 and 6:52.  Pretty happy with that.

Edited by sand101 2011-04-14 8:08 PM
2011-04-14 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3446661

User image

Master
mashmead - 2011-04-14 11:51 AM

I have checked the plans and 2 are looking good: the 12 wk oly to HIM bridge and the 20 wk HIM plan.  Looks like the 12 wk plan is heavier on the swim and run than the 20 wk but the 20 wk has more time in the saddle. 

Not sure which leg of the race could be considered make or break at that distance.  If there is one.

I chimed in on this earlier, but the server ate it.  So here goes again.  Looking at your last Oly, you are a middling swimmer, good cyclist, and excellent runner.  In that Oly, how did the swim feel?  Finish well with lots of energy?  Your run split sure as heck said so, IMO.  A HIM swim isn't really that much longer than an Oly swim. 

Given that I would probably go with the plan with more time in the saddle.  You can probably pump up your yardage in the swim by 20% or so and get the distance done with the speed you are comfortable at.  The bike in a HIM, though, more than doubles in length over an Oly.  This is a big, big difference.  Hit the bike hard in training.  With your run splits I think you know what you need to do for a good half marathon.

2011-04-14 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Hello everyone!

Wondering if you have any room for someone from the Great White North!  Getting late so I can post my bio tomorrow. 

I'm in my second year of Tris, and this will be my 4th year in endurance sport.

Cheers!

Sylvain

2011-04-15 3:55 AM
in reply to: #3447396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

We're talking about what we Brits call football and just about everyone else calls soccer.

pilotzs - 2011-04-14 10:28 PM

We have a running joke over here that says 80% on Man U fans have never been to Manchester and about 50% of those don't even live in the UK!

Edited by sicone 2011-04-15 3:58 AM

2011-04-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3447952

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sicone - 2011-04-15 3:55 AM

We're talking about what we Brits call football and just about everyone else calls soccer.

We have a running joke over here that says 80% on Man U fans have never been to Manchester and about 50% of those don't even live in the UK!

Sounds like the Yankee and Red Sox fans over here.

2011-04-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3447749

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sand101 - 2011-04-14 8:46 PM
mashmead - 2011-04-14 11:51 AM

I chimed in on this earlier, but the server ate it.  So here goes again.  Looking at your last Oly, you are a middling swimmer, good cyclist, and excellent runner.  In that Oly, how did the swim feel?  Finish well with lots of energy?  Your run split sure as heck said so, IMO.  A HIM swim isn't really that much longer than an Oly swim. 

Given that I would probably go with the plan with more time in the saddle.  You can probably pump up your yardage in the swim by 20% or so and get the distance done with the speed you are comfortable at.  The bike in a HIM, though, more than doubles in length over an Oly.  This is a big, big difference.  Hit the bike hard in training.  With your run splits I think you know what you need to do for a good half marathon.

Sands is spot on IMO. The swim is just such a short portion of the race, that there are diminishing returns on swim improvement. With that said, I could probably take 5 to 10 minutes off my HIM swim if I would only put the time in at the pool. I say spend the extra time in the saddle.
2011-04-15 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Late night on Bourbon st. My head hurts!
2011-04-15 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3448038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2011-04-15 8:00 AM
sicone - 2011-04-15 3:55 AM

Sounds like the Yankee and Red Sox fans over here.

I like watching soccer but  can't really say I'm a fan or have a team.  I do have an AC Milan jersey my wife picked up for me when she was in Italy a few years ago.    We were just in Italy on vacation with the family and I was wearing it and some of my family thought I was big soccer fan.   They started asking questions and were surprised when I said that me having an AC Milan jersey was like all the tourists in the US wearing Yankees hats.

Now if you guys want to talk baseball...

Edited by cornfed 2011-04-15 8:20 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 44