BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-04-25 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - OPEN
Deb,

I thought I would share the only times that I have fallen on my bike. Never on a training ride. Twice, maybe three times in a race. For me, there is something about coming out of the water and getting all dressed (even though I take my time) that puts me out of sync. Your head is all foggy your nose is full of lake water, you are wet.

So I go and get on my bike in T1 and take a dive. lol.

2011-04-25 8:16 PM

User image

Regular

So, I got a bit of strength training on my run today.  I was about 4km in, and these two girls were going down a hill in front of me on a scooter and a bike.  One of them completely wipes out and scrapes up her knees pretty badly.  I ended up carrying her all the way home, about 1 km.  I'm guessing she's 5-10 pounds heavier then my son, so around 50 pounds.  Let's just say there's a reason I don't carry my son around much anymore...

I thought I'd just head home after that, but I felt good, so I did about 3 km more.

Now, how's this for judgemental?  The older girl turned out to the babysitter.  Seemed like a nice enough girl and pretty level headed.  I chatted with her on the walk back.  I could use an occasional babysitter.  The reason I didn't ask her about it?  She wasn't wearing a bike helmet.  Yep.  I'm judgy mcjudgerson.

2011-04-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3463072

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Aquagirl - Thanks for the heads up, do all Canucks know each other?

Yes, most of us take our dog sled teams over to the main igloo for a potluck once a year...

Now, if you had said church basement, I would have thought you were Lutheran.

2011-04-25 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Last week was a tough one, didn't come close to meeting my training plan.  Still battling a sore ankle and some post race fatigue from the week before.  This week is off to a good start though, my 9 year old son ran with me for tonight's 2 mile workout.  This is the 3rd time I have gotten him to join me, all were taper week short runs.  Guess I need to schedule more races.  

Looks like my race this week will be too warm for a wetsuit.  Good thing my rental got here today!  

2011-04-26 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

plans for the week

Pretty light week as I am still ramping up my 1/2IM plan. Suits me fine as I have the 1/2 marathon this Sunday.

Monday - rest (but actually did a 30min swim to make up for a missed one last week)

Tuesday - 30min run + 1 hr swim

Wednesday - 1:30 Bike +15min run - Brick

Thursday - 1hr swim + 30min bike

Friday - 45 min run

Saturday - 30 min bike (not sure about this one as I will be away from home, might slam bike into a second session on Friday)

Sunday - RACE DAY - First Half Marathon - hoping for a 1:4X time but feel that my complete lack of speed training might put me at a 1:5X time. Anything over 2hrs and I throw my shoes in the lake.

2011-04-26 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3465727

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Chris - Sounds like a blast to be able to run with your son!  I can't wait until my kids are able to run/swim/bike with me.  My kids are both taking swim lessons right now.  I did my swim workout yesterday while my son was in his swim class.  He thought that was pretty cool. 

Dave - good luck in your half marathon on Sunday! 

- Ryan

2011-04-26 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Deb: sounds like a fun run. I like runs like that that turn into something else. During the winter I would often be running and help someone push their car out of a pile of snow.

Chris: I find the toughest part is to keep going when you miss a workout or a week. Take it easy on the foot though and keep thinking long term.

Dave: A little ride before a HM is probably a good idea. If you move it to Friday, which is a good option, consider going for a short 15-20 min easy run with some strides (if you have done them before) on Saturday. Even 10 minutes is good. Just to get the muscles firing a bit. Helps you sleep and prevents you from feeling too dead legged.
2011-04-26 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

My plan for the week is below, it's a recovery week so everything is pretty short.  Hopefully this is good since I'm still feel like I have a little cold.

Monday: 29 Minutes Bike

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: 14 minute swim

Thursday: 14 minute run (might move to Wednesday due to other plans)

Friday: Off (Driving my car on a race track all day so at least I'll work my core a little, I'll try to post some video over the weekend)

Sat: 29 Bike

Sun: 14 Run, 14 swim

2011-04-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3466729

User image

Regular

So, I just finished a bike ride with the kids.  It was with my hybrid bike and about 100 pounds in the trailer between the weight of the kids, chariot and stuff I brought along.  It was supposed to be 48 minutes, and I did 52, but there was a stop at a park in the middle (I did stop the timer, of course) so the little bit of extra time can make up for the fact that I had a rest midway through the ride.

I'm definitely going to stick to minutes for the days that I train pulling the chariot.  I don't go fast, but I work pretty hard for my slow speeds.

I also had a little victory.  Last summer, I rode a fair bit, entirely on my hybrid and mostly with the kids in the chariot.  There's a big hill along the paths.  I always used to walk the bike up this hill because I simply could not ride up it.  When I started riding my bike to the pool (so without the trailer), I realized I could ride up it then.  I had to go in my easiest gear to do it though, and there was no way I could do it towing the kids.

Today, I got to that hill and figured I would try it.  And I did it!  I was in the lowest gear, and it was hard work, but I rode up that hill with 100 pounds behind me!  So, I may still have a ways to go, but I'm already a stronger cyclist then I was 8ish months ago.

2011-04-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3465727

User image

Regular

Chris, that is great that your son runs with you.  Does he do any kids' races?

Dave, I'm just hoping I'll be able to coordinate my kids taking lessons at the same time as there being lane swim time.  Seems like the perfect opportunity.  I just have a few more months until my youngest is old enough for unparented lessons.

I'll post my plan for the week later this evening.  I've got a swim tonight.

2011-04-26 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Dave - Good luck on the half.  I know how excited I was to finally break the 2 hour mark.

Deb - I haven't got him to do one yet, but his time is coming.  I'm hoping to find a race we can do together (same day/location) this summer.

Ryan - I always enjoy those nights when my schedule allows me to swim at the same time as my boys.  Both take lessons during the school year and are on a swim team during the summer.  It's only a matter of time before they pass me.

Darren - I totally agree about how hard it is to get started again.  That was the one thing I really liked about my half mary plan, I could run whenever.  Getting to the pool and out on the road can only be done during certain times.

So far this week is off to a good start, my training plan is below.

R: 2.00 Mi
20m 
B: 12.00 Mi 
40m 
20m 
S: 1400.00 Yd 
30m
B: 9.00 Mi 
30m 
S: 1300.00 Yd 
30m

B: 6.00 Mi 
20m 
20m 
S: 1000.00 Yd 
20m
B: 26.00 Mi
R: 6.20 Mi
S: 1760.00 Yd
Triathlon
(Olympic)

2011-04-27 4:33 AM

Hello,

I am going to follow your advice and create a basic plan, to get a base level in each discipline.  I will do a bit more advanced running and build quickly in the cycling.  The swimming will learn basic technique more than volume, until comfortable then build distance a bit quicker near the end.

Its good to see your all training well!!  I didnt manage to get much done since friday, but will sort it out!!

Cheers,

Mark

2011-04-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3468210

User image

Regular

I am officially exhausted today.  I have jinxed myself recently by admitting to people that my children are sleeping pretty well lately (it took 3 years for my son to sleep through the night and 1.5 years for my daughter.)  The last two nights, Sebastian has been up with nightmares.  So, I was up for about 2 hours last night.

I got my swim in yesterday evening.  The pool was really busy with a lot of people splashing around but not seriously swimming.  I was lucky though, as I seemed to end up in the one lane where there were actual swimmers.  I was marginally faster then the other two guys in my lane, but I was doing a lot of drills, so I'd catch up to them a bit while doing front crawl, but fall behind a bit when I did my drills.  Rarely enough that we even had to pass each other, so it was good.

I had planned to do an early morning run today, but since I'm really lacking in sleep, I decided that was a no-go.  I'll run when my husband gets home from work instead.  Somebody ask if I've actually done it, okay?  Otherwise, it will just be too easy to hit the couch instead.  It's an early bedtime for me tonight!

2011-04-27 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hey Darren! Can I join your group? You know I am not a newbie but I do like to have a group to check in with for mutual support and just to talk shop. I probably won't be around much but would like to join in!! Is there room for me?
2011-04-27 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Of course Jen, my January - April Mentor. You make me blush.

Thought I would just continue your idea from the winter session to keep people on task through the racing season.

Pop in whenever you like, what are your goals for the next couple months?
2011-04-27 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Deb: OMG I so know what you are saying. We have a 2 year old and the second we start telling people how good a sleeper she is we are in for a week or 2 of hurting.

Really too bad you didn't get out there this morning. Getting the workout out of the way makes the rest of the day go that much smoother. Then I always find myself worrying about it during the day, if I will get it in. But at the same time, sleep feels so good.

I did hear someone say something inspirational once about getting up early in the morning to do their workout....I can't remember what it is. I suppose that is not a very good anecdote. I know that I have gotten out of bed numerous times and I could barely get my shorts on and figure out how to tie my shoes only to have a great run. But then 3pm comes along and I.Just.Can't.Keep.My.Eyes.Open. You can only do so much.

I think the quote was something about regret, something about the guilt you feel for skipping your workout hurts far more than the joy you get out of sleeping in.

oh I ramble on.

2011-04-27 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Excellent! Thanks!!  I am just in the first week of the half ironman training - Muskoka is now 20 weeks away!!!

Here's my little overview

NAME: Juniperjen/ Jen

STORY: My name is Jen and I am addicted to triathlon.  I am 30 and work as a project analyst (a desk job).  I came to endurance sport when I signed up for 10k run clinic at a local running specialty store. I had always wanted to run and I had just moved to anew city and needed reason to get out and meet people.  So that was in April 2005. Since then I found a love. Running.  From that 10k clinic I went on train for half marathons and then marathons. 

Even though running is my first love it led me to meet my now husband. We both joined a marathon training clinic for our first marathons.  He was trying a stand-alone marathon to see if he could hack it because his life-long dream was the Ironman.  The next year I went to Ironman Canadawith him and saw triathlon.  It was amazing!  I had to do that. No matter that I didn’t own a bike or know how to swim.  So, I got a bike and I took swim lessons. 

I have now done a number of triathlons and it took some serious focus to get over my panic in the water but I did successfully complete Ironman Muskoka 70.3 this year.  I will go back for more. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Newlywed (married in October), no kids, just pets

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started the half ironman plan on this site. 20 weeks until my HIM

2011 RACES:  I already have two run races under my belt for the year – a 30k run (4th time doing the race – time good, not happy with my effort) and a half marathon just two weeks ago. 

Coming up I have a 10k run, a duathlon (4k/30k/4k), an Olympic tri in June and a sprint-ish tri in July all leading up to my main goal of improving my time at Ironman Muskoka 70.3

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a big issue for me, just weight maintenance with running/triathlon.  I am always interested in maintaining healthy eating habits though and I struggle with the balance of junk – I loooove junk food :S

2011-04-27 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I don't have kids and i struggle with morning workouts.  Now that my training plan has a lot of double days I pretty much have to or i won't be able to fit it in and I have 'the fear' to motivate me at the moment ... like Darren, the idea is great but even this morning at the pool i was just slow - taking too long of rest period just because I wasn't fully awake yet.  And we'll see how i feel for my afternoon meeting - no snoozing!

Hi to all!! I hope to catch up a bit and hope everyone has a great day!

2011-04-27 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Dave! We're doing the same race!  Your lead up tri's should get you ready for Muskoka! It's a big goal but totally achievable. 
2011-04-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3469123

User image

Regular

BigDH - 2011-04-27 10:45 AM Deb: OMG I so know what you are saying. We have a 2 year old and the second we start telling people how good a sleeper she is we are in for a week or 2 of hurting. Really too bad you didn't get out there this morning. Getting the workout out of the way makes the rest of the day go that much smoother. Then I always find myself worrying about it during the day, if I will get it in. But at the same time, sleep feels so good. I did hear someone say something inspirational once about getting up early in the morning to do their workout....I can't remember what it is. I suppose that is not a very good anecdote. I know that I have gotten out of bed numerous times and I could barely get my shorts on and figure out how to tie my shoes only to have a great run. But then 3pm comes along and I.Just.Can't.Keep.My.Eyes.Open. You can only do so much. I think the quote was something about regret, something about the guilt you feel for skipping your workout hurts far more than the joy you get out of sleeping in. oh I ramble on.

You know, you're right.  I am regretting that I didn't get the early morning in. Going from experience, I would actually be feeling better and less tired right now if I'd done it then I do with an extra hour of sleep.  I'd still need to crash early, but I wouldn't need to run before doing so.

I have a rule about turning the alarm off: I only do it if I have a firm plan for when I will make the run up.  Today isn't a double workout day, so it's not too tough to fit it in later.  Last summer, I was queen of the 5am runs though.  I actually love the early morning runs.  The air seems so fresh and crisp.  I can't wait until the sunrise is a little earlier and I'm running while it's coming up.  I really wish the pool opened at 5, but it doesn't open till 6, and it's not quite enough time for me to do it before my husband leaves for work.

Like I said, I'll run this evening.  Between telling you guys and my husband, it will get me out the door, even if I don't feel like it.

It didn't even pay off because my daughter was up shortly after 6, so I only got an extra hour of sleep.  Sometimes the kids sleep till 7, or if I'm really lucky, 8.  No go today, of course.

2011-04-27 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3469279

User image

Regular

Welcome to the group Jen!

It's good to hear you were able to overcome your panic in the water.  A year ago, I panicked if I ended up in the deep end of a swimming pool.  Now, I'm good with that, but kind of concerned about open water still.  If you can do it, I'm sure I can too.

2011-04-27 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3469279

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Welcome Jen!  Sounds like you are doing awesome!  I just got the bug this year - maybe next year I'll get a 70.3 in.  

Deb - I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about missing a workout for sleep.  Sometimes, you just need to sleep.  I always find myself getting sick only when I've lost out on some sleep somewhere.  Hopefully you'll get your workout in today anyway.  

Speaking of sick - I'm stuck at home right now with a sick 3 year old.  I got a call from his daycare at about 9am.  He's got some kind of stomach bug.  So, I'm working from home and beginning to feel a little sick to my stomach myself.  I'm not sure if it's the stomach bug or this...

Congratulations Ryan, you have been selected! Your entry number is: 6******.

Please note: Your status "selected" will change to "accepted" once your credit card is charged in the next 24 hours. If your credit card is declined, then you will be removed from the selected pool.

- this is from the NYC Marathon website for the NYC Marathon lottery drawing.  I am sick because, I'm pretty sure my credit card is going to be declined.  I had to change my credit card number due to fraudulent activity in mid February and the NYC marathon has the old credit card number.  I already have an e-mail into the NYC Marathon organizers to see if I can change the credit card number.  Hopefully they will let me slide, but I don't have an easy feeling.  

And hopefully, I will be able to sneak in a strength workout and a bike ride in later this afternoon.  

- Ryan

2011-04-27 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
ahhhh, Ryan that is nerve racking. Hope it works out.
2011-04-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3469730

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

yeah - it is nerve racking! I'm shot.  I found an e-mail reminder from NYC Marathon to update my information in my junk mail quarantine.  Not a good place for it.  It was sent out about a week ago.  We'll just see what happens.  If I don't get in I can always try to get a guaranteed entry through a charity partner.  I was thinking the American Cancer Society.  I ran for the American Cancer Society for the Chicago marathon and was able to raise a lot of money.  

- Ryan

2011-04-27 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
so had a great run today.

Went out for 24k, so I am meeting my buddy for a bit of the run, so i go out and do an easy 8k at around a 6:05/k pace and I am thinking this is too fast, but the sun felt good and the music was good and I am having a good time.

So I go to meet my buddy and he never shows, I run in circles for 10 min or so, must be held up. Then i see these 2 guys running by without shoes. The one guy I met at a HM the other day so I was like can i run with you guys, and he was like okay. Now I have seen the one guy that I didn't know run before, he is fast. He passes me all the time, with no shoes. So they are moving, like a 5:20 pace, way too fast for my workout, the one guy is hurting but the other guy is just cruising along like it is an easy little jog, without friggin shoes. Anyways, good time, we stopped a couple times so they could video tape their gait and I could catch my breath, by the time we stopped my average pace had dropped to 5:52 (which included all the stop time). Finished with an easy 6-7 k and that was the day.

Good times
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21