General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-04-16 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3916289

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Doing a hm my 5th. Covering that distance is good for confidence. I always hear people say you gotta run a half marathon to finish this race the problem is it feels like the second half of a marathon...

2012-04-20 11:36 AM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Hi BT'ers how is training going? I'm working on staying focused.

I managed to talk my husband into a course recon trip (golf in Kohler sealed the deal) next month.  Are any folks that live near the race course getting together for training? I understand North Beach is open to public swim, but would like to join a group.  As for cycling, can I get a sense of car traffic from those familiar with the area? Around where I live you have to choose your roads carefully, the cars are so aggressive and the paved trails are overcrowded!

Thanks for any info.  About 12 weeks until race day, who is amp'd?!?    

2012-04-22 8:16 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
North beach is a nice place to check out, but that swim will be super cold. I hate to throw out the red flag here but swimming in there prior to June might border on dangerous. Traffic is not bad. The roads the race are on are the same roads locals train on for the most part, minus that stretch up hwy 20.
2012-04-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4166103

User image

New user
Philadelphia

I see, I will have do a little research on LM temps.  

Thanks DB. 

2012-04-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4166458

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
How's everyone's training going?  My run training is going great, but and swim... less great.  Now that it's less than 3 months out I feel like think I won't be ready.  Maybe a sense of urgency is what I need.  The good thing about doing it last year is at least I know what I'm in for.... or maybe that is a bad thing, I'm not sure.
2012-04-23 5:03 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Hi everyone.  I posted a long time ago when I signed up but not again since then.  This will be my first HIM in my first tri season.  I realize I'm crazy, but something just drew me to this distance.  I'm doing a sprint (Galena) and olympic (Capitol View) prior, so I am hoping those will get me some experience.  Training is going pretty well, I think.  Finishing up training for the Indy Mini Marathon then Chicago marathon training starts after that, so I think the run is covered.  Biking is going pretty well (following a trifuel.com plan + club training class) and I do my best to get to the pool as much as possible, which of course is not as much as I should.  My biggest concern is open water, even before Galena - hoping to get a practice in somewhere beforehand - I know it'll be cold, but if anyone knows a good spot or wants to meet up......  Anyway, ran a fun 10k in Chicago yesterday and it went great.  A good tune-up before Indy.  Hope everyone else's training is going well - looking forward to following along and hopefully picking up some tips in the next couple months.  Dave

2012-04-23 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
I FINALLY took the bike off the trainer and rode outside today. It felt fast and I felt slow. So that's going to be my focus this week: getting familiarity back outside. Although I'm a commuter biker, so I really wasn't expecting that, so I'll just chalk up that difference to being on a road bike instead of a commuter bike.
2012-04-25 5:02 PM

User image

Saw this on Ironman.com today and spotlighted Racine 70.3.

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/racine70.3/racine-wisconsin-hosts-third-annual-event-on-july-15-2012#axzz1srsNokwk

Also it mentions this: On Tuesday, May 1 at 3 p.m. EST, there will be a live chat on the official Ironman Facebook page featuring Ryan Richards, race director of IRONMAN 70.3 Racine. He will be available to answer all of your technical and race-related questions. 

2012-04-25 9:10 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Nheather, If you coming a weekend I'm free I'd ride that course with ya. Of course that golf trip to Kohler sounds tempting too...
2012-04-26 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4173583

User image

New user
im always up for riding the course too, when we get some of that weather we had last month back anyways...
2012-04-28 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4113793

User image

Awesome... good to know! :-) Well, I did register and have been sticking to the plan provided on this site and am feeling pretty good. Not sure my bike is where it ought to be, but i'm getting there. :-)

RaytownPete - 2012-03-26 1:56 PM

I went from 3 sprints to the Racine 70.3 (with a goal of finishing) and would say the jump in distance wasn't too bad. Personally being somewhat scared of it helped me stick to the training plan as I knew going in uncharted water and wanted to be as prepared as possible. My swim and bike times were right on with projections based on training, the run fell apart , but  had nothing to do with a jump in overall distance

As far as 70.3's go I think Racine is about as easy as the come in terms of course flatness. The town is small so easy to get around and the support is good.

The water can be cold and choppy,but more times than not I've found it flat and fine with a wet suit on in July.

Best of luck with what you decide to do.

ashleyb98 - 2012-03-24 7:13 PM

Hello. I haven't even signed up yet -- I'm scared. But I really want to do this. It would/ will be my first half ironman. I haven't even done an olympic distance, so am I crazy for training and hoping to do this? I have done several sprint triathlons, but I used a hybrid bike. So gotta get a road bike too. Oh boy, I might be nuts!!!

2012-04-28 9:47 AM

User image

I live about 30 minutes south of the race site. I'd love to get together to get familiar with the course also. I'm also hoping in June to head up to the beach to get some practice in the water, with the wet suit (which i don't even own yet), etc. I hear its great there to just hang out, a playground, etc. So i'm thinking i'll bring my family along. My hubby would surely watch our little one.

I am just finishing up the swim focus week. I feel great with the swim (in a pool.) The 3450m workout mentally almost got me on the last 750m repeat, but am so glad i got through it!

Up to 9 miles on my run training... 31 miles on the bike outside. I have never biked further than that and it SCARES me.

:-)

ashley

2012-04-30 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Just wanted to let all of you fellow BT'ers know that the pressure is TOTALLY OFF of you because I am sure that I will be absolute last at the rate my training is going.  I am just recovering from another set back (this time an upper respiratory infection) and when I looked back at my training logs from last year I am like 50% of the distances I was doing by this time!  

On the up side, it is going to be in the 70s this week in Southeast Michigan, so that should make for some nice outside bike rides and THAT is inspiring

2012-04-30 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4178182

User image

New user
Philadelphia
ashleyb98 - 2012-04-28 10:47 AM

I live about 30 minutes south of the race site. I'd love to get together to get familiar with the course also. I'm also hoping in June to head up to the beach to get some practice in the water, with the wet suit (which i don't even own yet), etc. I hear its great there to just hang out, a playground, etc. So i'm thinking i'll bring my family along. My hubby would surely watch our little one.

I am just finishing up the swim focus week. I feel great with the swim (in a pool.) The 3450m workout mentally almost got me on the last 750m repeat, but am so glad i got through it!

Up to 9 miles on my run training... 31 miles on the bike outside. I have never biked further than that and it SCARES me.

:-)

ashley

Hey Ashley, when I was training for my first HIM last summer, I was so worried about ramping up mileage on the bike, a friend said to me if you can ride 30 you can ride 50.  As a runner, I was like yea right.  But guess what? She was right! 

Also a little side note, I just learned how to ride a bike last spring and did a HIM in Oct.  I think it's good to do things that scare the outta ya - good for the mind and body...happy training!

2012-05-02 4:11 PM

User image

New user

For those of you who missed it the Race Director answered some questions about this particular venue on Facebook.  Here is the link to the overall 70.3 page.  Yo will have to find the online chat on the timeline and look for May 1st specifically.

https://www.facebook.com/ironman70.3tri

2012-05-07 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Wow!! It's May already, how is everyone feeling?  Any Racine or Close-to-Racine natives willing to co-ordinate a pre-race dinner for us BTers?  I have really enjoyed getting together with everyone I have been chatting with for months on line.  It is nice to see some familiar faces the next morning on the beach.

2012-05-07 7:14 PM

User image

Training is going pretty good here. Thinking about jumping in for a ows one of these days here in NorthCentral Minnesota so I can get use to the fridgid Lake Michigan water and try out the wetsuit again. Thankfully the weather hasnt been to bad and have been able to get long bikes in outside rather than the trainer, that has been a plus. Meeting up with some people before race day would be cool with me it always make pre morning race less nerve wrecking seeing someone else you know the morning of. I know I'll be nervous as this is my first HIM.
2012-05-08 8:41 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I own a bar a block or 2 from the check-in / expo. I can load that baby up with bottled water and perform, meet up and go find a spot to eat on main... I generally check in and rack my bike late afternoon Saturday.
2012-05-09 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL

Had a bad week last week due to my once a year travel for work/conference.  Side note...I did get to run up the steps of the art museum in Philly, a la Rocky.  Really screwed up my schedule and the eating/drinking did not help.  Then it was our annual Kentucky Derby party, so my weekend training was kind of blown off. 

Now back into my regular routine and have a 40+ mile bike ride planned for Saturday.  Feel pretty good about my swim, run is what it is and hoping to come in around 3-3:15 on the bike.

2012-05-09 12:25 PM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio

Hi everyone, my name is Larry and I'll be doing the Racine 70.3 as well.  This thread is very informative.  I can relate to all the anxiety issues as I did 2 sprints ten years ago, and that's it.  I was grossly out of shape at the beginning of this year (300 pounds), and hadn't exercised in three years at all.  I'm at 222 pounds today, and got my run to 9 miles, the bike to 40, and the swim to 2400.  I don't remember who said something about doing something that scardes the #$%%$ out of you, but I agree.  That's why I signed up in March.  It's paid and there's no backing out.  Look forward to meeting some of you at the race.  The bar idea sounds good for before the race, and after, with stronger beverage choices!!

2012-05-09 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4199282

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-05-09 7:24 PM

Regular
Training humming along here - finished the Festival 500 Mini Marathon in Indy this weekend and rolling back into my training plan. Still haven't figured out what to do for a hotel yet and would love some suggestions. Also thinking about a road trip in June for a Swim in the Lake. Are there any organized swims on the weekends this summer?
2012-05-10 7:27 AM

Veteran

Hello folks......this is my first HIM and training seems to be going well.  My swims and bike feel very comfortable so it's just ramping up a bit more distance before the event.  My strongest leg seems to be the run (which I would have never thought) since I've already done PRs in the Shamrock and the HM iChallenge in Champaign, IL.  As for biking I'm very excited since I got a new whip and can't wait to race on it.   I've got a 10 Mi Soldier Field run at the end of the month and then it's a Sprint tri (Batavia) and Oly Tri (Bigfoot - Lake Geneva, WI).  The Oly will be a sort of "B" race for me since I want to get more familiar with my wetsuit and get the fit on my bike comfortable.

I like the idea of biking the Racine course before the race so I'll keep my eyes posted here for any developments.  I also started a thread in th IL-specific forum so if a bike session is organized there I will let people here know too.

Keep up the good work everyone.....it will be here before you know it!

2012-05-10 10:39 AM

Question for those who have done this race before or WI natives, what kind of wind can we expect that time of year?  I am in South Dakota so I am getting used to biking into the wind, but would love to hear Racine is somehow immune to mid-western winds.

2012-05-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4202210

Expert
Chicagoland
maslowrun - 2012-05-10 10:39 AM

Question for those who have done this race before or WI natives, what kind of wind can we expect that time of year?  I am in South Dakota so I am getting used to biking into the wind, but would love to hear Racine is somehow immune to mid-western winds.

Last year it was my firs HIM and it was 101 degrees actual temp, BEFORE heat index No shade on most of the bike..
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27