General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2012-11-27 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4512263

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

Name: John or J.T.

What is your Ironman Resume?  IM Florida 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I completed it in 2011 as my first IM. I was wanting to try another course but I had several friends who wanted to race IMFL. I decided to return because it will be a fun year training with my friends. I think there are 12 of us in all.

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  I did 13:51 in 2011. First goal is always to finish. 2nd goal is to beat 13:51. Ultimate goal is to go sub 12.

What are you most looking forward to?  Training with my friends and the challenge of bettering my previous time.

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Enjoy the journey. An Ironman race is an extremely long day, but it is a short period of time compared to the time you spend training. Make sure to enjoy your training and don't wish this away.

2012-11-27 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4512208

Veteran

Name: Ed

What is your Ironman Resume? IMFL 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I did it last year and had a blast, it's also driving distance for me

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  I finishes 12:09 last year with a slow run, I would like to finish in the low 11 hr area

What are you most looking forward to?  Using what I learned last year in training and racing and applying it to this year

Veterans, any advice you can give? Enjoy the journey, the training is part of the fun (you will disagree sometimes)

2012-11-27 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4489246

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Name: Neal

What is your Ironman Resume?  1st Full.  1 HIM under my belt

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  It is close proximity to where I live and the peer pressure was a MOTHER from my "friends"

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  To be able to look back on the events of the day, how they unfolded, what worked and what didn't and still be able to say with a smile on my face...."Hell yes!!!!  Let's do it again!!!"

What are you most looking forward to?  Sharks on the swim.  I know, I know.  I grew up on the Alabama gulf coast so I know they are there but it will not be an issue.  But it sure is fun to think about.  

2012-11-27 9:31 PM

New user

I'm signed up for 2013, starting training after a ultra marathon in Jan. Looking at a few prep races prior to IMFL. Curious if people think that the Augusta 70.3 is to close or is it OK to do that race and then start my taper?
2012-11-27 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4512628

User image

Wetumpka, AL
From what I've seen a lot of people use it as a "training day" and it will serve as their last long event.  FL is a month out from Augusta.  I am running into the problem of finding another 70.3 prior to Augusta that isnt on a weekend where I have family plans.  My back up idea is an Oly on a Saturday and another one on Sunday.  It would be an interesting weekend if I could make that happen.
2012-11-28 10:25 AM

User image

Grand Rapids

Name: Chris

What is your Ironman Resume? This will be my first!

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I like where it falls on the calendar and found a group of people who were also interested.

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?   1. To finish  2.  To not blow up too early.  3. Under 13 hrs.

What are you most looking forward to?  The entire journey

Veterans, any advice you can give? N/A

2012-11-28 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4512619

User image

Extreme Veteran

Name: Cason

What is your Ironman Resume?  1st Full.  Augusta 70.3 in 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Very close to where I live.  Consider it my second home with family there. Road trips will be made often for training.  Neal (a couple of posts above me) suckered me into it.  I can't have him one up me.

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  To finish and have fun with 16 of my team mates.  Look fast and strong in front of my family and then throw up when I'm out of their sight. Cart wheel over the finish line. 

What are you most looking forward to?  Great training and race with Team MMS. Hug my family at the finish line. 

2012-11-28 12:02 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas

Name: Adam

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMCD '09, IMTX '11

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Not sure.  Easy to get to, a place the wife wouldn't mind spending a week?

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  Finish with enough energy to hang out and enjoy the festivities and a good meal afterwards. 

What are you most looking forward to?  Training.  We couldn't do this if we didn't enjoy the training at least a little.   I took a year off and am excited to get back.

2012-11-28 12:16 PM

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN

Name: Clayton

What is your Ironman Resume?  IM Louisville 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Because it isn't far from TN, my family has homes in Destin so I have free lodging, it isn't even close to being hilly like IMKY and it is a mini vacation for my family.

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  Looking to improve my iron distance swim from 1:22 to 1:15 (IMKY was my first so it didn't hit it too hard in any leg).  Improve my bike times from 6:16 (very hilly course) to 5:30.  Work more on my run training over this year and improve my time from 5:12 to 3:45.  The longest distance I ran was 14 miles and I only did that twice because I had a sick daughter most of the year.  Looking for a sub 12 but know I could pull off a sub 11 if training goes well.

What are you most looking forward to?  Flat bike! Where I live in Tennessee there aren't really any flat areas.  An ocean swim will also be pretty cool.  I will definitely practice that multiply times while out on vacation in Florida this year.

Veterans, any advice you can give? Nutrition is key!  Practice, adjust, practice, adjust...and so on throughout all of your training to see what works for you.  Be sure to maintain enough sodium and calories for the day.  Train hard and live with whatever the day gives you.

2012-11-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4513514

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Name: Sue AKA Socks AAKA doc Socks

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMFL 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 DNF IMTX 2012 and IMFL 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Its an easy venue with lots of close housing for my now elderly parents...plus its a big ols party!!!

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  FINISH.  I got unfinished business after a dreadful 2011.  Plus I will get to race with a few very good friends!!

What are you most looking forward to?  Friends and family

Veterans, any advice you can give? Lots of good advice already.  Tinted goggles on the swim, Be prepared for cold or heat (2006 it was 31 at the start of the race)  If you are a late finisher (like me) get a light for your hat cause it gets mighty DARK out on teh run course.  HAVE FUN and enjoy the journey

2012-11-28 2:17 PM

User image

Name: Melissa

What is your Ironman Resume?  First Timer! 

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  My husband did his first IM here in 2011 (did Lousiville 2012) and thought it'd be cool to do my first one here as well. I thrive in flat course runs and bikes! Also, it's not too far from ATL (and my coach promised me he'd be there)

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  Finish with a smile. I'd like to think that I can knock this thing out in under 15...but the reality is as long as I'm in by midnight -- uninjured and smiling-- I'll be elated

What are you most looking forward to?  Shockingly, the training. I've got a good coach and a supportive husband to keep me in check. I'm also looking forward to digging deep and finding out how strong and mentally tough I really am. 

Veterans, any advice you can give?  

2012-11-28 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Name: Ken (kenj)

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMLP 2008, IMFL 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I like the area and it is convenient for my wife's family to spend some time with her since we live a ways apart.  In other words, if she's happy, my training is easier!

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  First of course is to finish, you never know what the day will bring.  2nd I would like to beat my 2010 time of 12:40, and if the training goes well and the day is good, I would like to really beat that number.  11 something sounds like a good goal to start!

What are you most looking forward to?  2013 is going to be a big year of races with 2 HIM's and 2 iron distance races.  I am excited about doing the training and completing the year in PCB and enjoying some time relaxing post race!

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Enjoy the journey!

ETA; I copied and pasted the post and forgot to change the name! Embarassed

Edited by kenj 2012-11-28 2:29 PM
2012-11-28 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Name: Jasha (jashac)

What is your Ironman Resume? IMFL 2008, 2010, 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Timing wise it's about as far away from ski season as possible.  I love the flat ride and run.  I only have flat to train on.  I absolutely love the water at Panama City Beach.

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  Finish and not hurt myself.  That said, I'd like to continue to improve my performance, especially on the run - total sub 13 ??  Enjoy the day and the training.

What are you most looking forward to?  Better and more run training.  Long bike rides.  And I really love meeting and racing with BTers.

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Enjoy your training, figure out your plans A, B, and C for nutrition.  and something I learned from a BT friend, "learn to lie to yourself now, it will come in handy on race day."  

2012-11-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4513791

User image

Las Vegas

Name: Dave

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMCDA 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Wanted to do a course that would provide me the opportunity to A) have fun, and B) keep costs cheap.  My in-laws have two condos right before the entrance to the state park on the run route.  That is a significant savings (i.e. free), and more family members can come hang out while I race. 

What are your goals for IMFL 2013? I want to go into the race with a solid amount of training in place.  I went 10:57 at CDA, I'm sure I can beat that pretty well in Florida.  Not sure about time goals as of yet, but once the summer comes around I'll be able to put up good targets.

What are you most looking forward to?  The entire experience.  Ironman is unique and challenging, and I love pushing myself beyond "accepted" limits (whether they are internal or external).  And I will definitely love representing Team Red White and Blue and raising awareness for helping wounded veterans transition away from military and into civilian lifestyles.

2012-11-28 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
anyone know the address of where the IM is held....trying to find a spot where I can use my sister;s time share.....or the nearest Marriot
2012-11-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4514148

User image

Las Vegas
Jorgito22 - 2012-11-28 4:05 PM anyone know the address of where the IM is held....trying to find a spot where I can use my sister;s time share.....or the nearest Marriot

Host hotel is the Boardwalk Beach Resort Hotel.  9400 S Thomas Drive.  Panama City Beach, FL 32408

2012-11-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4512404

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Name: Chris

What is your Ironman Resume?  IM Virgin

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I decided to return because it will be a fun year training with my friends. I think there are 12 of us in all. (and BlueRaiderZone wouldn't let me get away at the sign up line).

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  To hear "You are an IronMan!!!"

What are you most looking forward to?  Training with my friends and finding out what is deep inside....

Veterans, any advice you can give?  

2012-11-28 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Name: Jim

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMKY '09; IMLP '10,'12, '12

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Tired of IM's in the mountains! I also wanted to do 2 IM's in 1 year (IMMT Aug '13), so the timing was good 

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  As always to finish, but would love to see sub 11 hours as I cross the finish line. (11:20 best time so far)

What are you most looking forward to?  Training for 2 IM's and see how far I can push myself

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, especially on the bike. Poor nutrition, hydration will ruin months and months of training!

Good luck to all, and looking forward to hearing how everyone's training is going over the next year, Jim

2012-11-28 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4513642

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

Name: Joel AKA aintaround

What is your Ironman Resume?  New Zealand '07, Louisville '08, Brazil '09, Florida '09, South Africa '10, Florida '10, Texas '11, Florida '11, Cozumel '11, New York '12, Florida '12, Cozumel '12

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?
Just like all the above races - a clean finish. Of course I would love to PR but that is not as important as the whole IM experience 
Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I now live in Plant City FL (just outside of Tampa) Panama City is my backyard - I hope to race IMFL forever (you know what i mean)

What are you most looking forward to?  From soup to nuts this is a great race, and family from GA come down as well as my Plant city group driving up.

Veterans, any advice you can give? Be prepared for cold - it might not happen but plan for it. If you can drive the bike course just to have some familiarity with the out and backs. 

2012-11-29 4:39 AM

Connecticut

Name: Dave

What is your Ironman Resume?  1 HIM, this will be my 1st IM

Stay injury free thru training; finish under 12 hrs; and thanks to the good advice in this forum - enjoy the training experience

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  Time of the year - it gives me enough time to train, and competing in am IM in November just seems right

What are you most looking forward to?  Finishing.  I love the feeling of accomplishment after so much hard work throughout the year.

Veterans, any advice you can give? No advise from me, but I am soaking up the advice from the Vets who are posting - thanks!!

2012-11-29 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

Greetings, Ironfolk!  Looking forward to the journey with you all...

Name: Greg

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMLP 2011 (11:49)

Ask me in September!  For now it's just to get to the start line feeling awesome.

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I had an itch at the time to sign up and I had to scratch it!  Plus I got my best bud to sign up with me for his first IM.  I told him it was easy because it is flat (bwah hah hah hah!).

What are you most looking forward to?  Seeing him cross the line!  (sounds sentimental, but it really just means that if I see him cross the line then I must've beat him.  Just kidding.  No i'm not.  Yes I am. No I'm not....nevermind)

Veterans, any advice you can give? Don't poop your pants!  And execute.  Ironman done right is a 130 mile warm-up to a 10.6 mile race.

2012-11-29 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Name: Doc

What is your Ironman Resume? IM Louisville 2011

What are your goals for IMFL 2013? Enjoy the swim, ride a well-paced bike, and run a sub-4hr marathon. Just that easy...eh?

Why did you choose Ironman Florida? Close to home and my wife likes the beach, enough said...she's the boss. Though, it is costing me a trip to Europe this Summer. She drives a tough bargain.

What are you most looking forward to? Spending time with the family, hopefully my #1 Fan, my big sister, can make the trip from AZ. Oh, and running down the finish chute with a sub-11.

Veteran advice? Keep smiling, don't forget to enjoy yourself. Only 1% of people get to do this. You're a hero already. More seriously, for this course: Better be comfortable in the aero-position, stand-up and run on the pedals every 20-30 mins to stretch the back and use some different muscles. Your run legs will thank you later.
2012-12-01 5:16 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Name: Mimi

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMFL 2007, 2009, 2010, IMCOZ 2011 – PR for IM 11:01

What are your goals for IMFL 2013?  KQ    

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  I know the course, train in very similar conditions, it is easy for me to travel to and have a soft spot in my heart for this race.

What are you most looking forward to?  Finally accomplishing my goal and racing with my boyfriend, Richard (DickDime), who is coming back from a Traumatic Brain Injury in 2009 (hit by a car while training for 70.3 championships).

Veterans, any advice you can give? Don’t get overwhelmed thinking about the big day…do what you have to do each day, be consistent and hit at least 90% of your training, get a good nutrition/hydration plan in order, be prepared for temps ranging from 30F-80F, respect the distance and enjoy the ride.   Make some awesome memories this next year.  

2012-12-02 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT

Participant list is up.

2012-12-02 8:18 PM

User image

Regular

Name: Jeff

What is your Ironman Resume?  IMFL 2011, IMKY 2012

Did my first in 12:18.  Took a generous break at special needs on bike and lounged about in both transitions for way too long.  Hoping for sub-12 this go round.

Why did you choose Ironman Florida?  

It is driving distance for me.  I have family there in town so a place to stay 2 blocks from the Boardwalk. Theres a bunch of stuff for the family to do to keep them occupied.  

What are you most looking forward to?  The start of the race is insane, so much energy -- every time I hear Panama by VH I get chills thinking of the start in 2011.  Wish I could skip the first couple hundred meters of the swim, though.  Looking forward to meeting more interesting people like last time. 

Veterans, any advice you can give? 1.  Don't freak out when you get stung by jellyfish - mine was in the face at 500m of swim.  2.  Mind your nutrition - I certainly didn't eat enough on the bike 3.  Pack some warm stuff into your T1 bag.  Last couple years have been variable on temps.  Couple years in the low 50s getting on the bike.  4.  Chicken soup in the state park! 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41