BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-01-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed

Yesterday went to crap.  Making dips, watching 3 kids, cleaning, and trying to work.  Going to try and get on the trainer today and maybe get a short run in.

2014-01-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Catching up on the various threads since I was here last....

Resolutions
1) Weight down < 145 pounds
2) Work on being more efficient/productive (with work, house chores, training, etc.)
3) Finish IM #1

Training
I generally train via HR - I love numbers and data...the pain of being a reformed engineer. However, for Xmas I got a speed/cadence sensor for my bike, so I can get virtual power numbers when I'm on my trainer. The nice thing about that is that it makes trainer riding more bearable. I like trying to keep my power numbers in the prescribed range for the workout (via TrainerRoad).

Good News for me
So I started the year off with the bang...actually ended up the old year with a bang too. Yesterday my Masters program had a fundraiser (100 100's) - I didn't swim the whole 100, but I swam 50x100 which is the furthest I've ever swum. It was fun. Yikes!

And then this morning I ran a 5K PR, beating my previous PR from 2009 when I was much fitter and thinner. Yeah me! I'm making progress.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!
2014-01-01 1:58 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by kaburns1214

With it being New Years Eve and big resolutions for 2014?

I don't do resolutions, ever, but this year I want to make improvements over my first year in triathlon. To bring this to fruition I need to:
1. Get back down to my fastest racing weight - 137ish.
2. Eat nutritiously.
3. Follow a training plan.
4. Log my workouts.

To see improvements I have to be consistent in my training, and follow a plan, any plan really. I wing it and work out when I feel like it, and do not train correctly. So this year I want to actually do what I should. To see even better improvements if I add in better nutrition (I'm a sugar junkie) and drop a few of these extra pounds of fat I'm carrying around I should see improvements over last year.

So there you have it. A smart plan for 2014 that should allow me to improve my times.

2014-01-01 3:29 PM

User image

I spent some time here on BT working out a custom training plan for my long course in Aug. I am confused because I am doing a much higher volume already, running 17MPW (and increasing), swimming 8K per week and I have not ridden in a couple mos but going out for a 10 miler today to shake the cobwebs.

This new plan has me starting at running 6 mi, swimming 2900 and biking 15...per week. This is a 10x per week plan (4run, 3swim, 3bike). Should I take that big of a step back or rework the plan. It is a beginner plan as I have only ever done a sprint, this is a much longer course. Perhaps I should look at a more intermediate plan? I was going to use the Don Fink plan up to the HIM section but this is a more accurate plan to my specific race so I thought it made more sense. Advice?
2014-01-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: dace

User image

, Florida
Started off the New Year with a nice & easy 7.15 mi run this morning. I don't do resolutions either but keep trying to do better throughout the year. My first goal is to track all my workouts.

Thanks Justin for the swim workout info. I'll be sure to check those videos out.

I currently use my cadence to train on my bike keeping it around 85. I have been wanting to break into my HRM but have to say that I'm totally clueless on how to use it. No doubt there are lots of videos to figure it out. I definitely have some homework to do so I understand the terminology being mentioned on this thread.

Question - can I do an IM with my road bike OR do I need a tri-bike? Unfortunately when I bought my bike in June I struggled between buying a road or tri bike and now wish I had bought a tribike. I bought a Focus Izalco Pro and really like it but can't begin to keep up with the tri bikes on my group rides. I've also been told that tri bikes work more of the back of the legs due to your body's position and road bikes work the front of the legs. They said in a longer tri it's best not to use a road bike because you're really taxing the front of the legs (quads) on the bike and run. Feedback would be appreciated.

Brenda
2014-01-02 12:26 AM
in reply to: Brendab

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by Brendab

Started off the New Year with a nice & easy 7.15 mi run this morning. I don't do resolutions either but keep trying to do better throughout the year. My first goal is to track all my workouts.

Thanks Justin for the swim workout info. I'll be sure to check those videos out.

I currently use my cadence to train on my bike keeping it around 85. I have been wanting to break into my HRM but have to say that I'm totally clueless on how to use it. No doubt there are lots of videos to figure it out. I definitely have some homework to do so I understand the terminology being mentioned on this thread.

Question - can I do an IM with my road bike OR do I need a tri-bike? Unfortunately when I bought my bike in June I struggled between buying a road or tri bike and now wish I had bought a tribike. I bought a Focus Izalco Pro and really like it but can't begin to keep up with the tri bikes on my group rides. I've also been told that tri bikes work more of the back of the legs due to your body's position and road bikes work the front of the legs. They said in a longer tri it's best not to use a road bike because you're really taxing the front of the legs (quads) on the bike and run. Feedback would be appreciated.

Brenda

Absolutely you can do an IM on a road bike. You might even want to on courses with a lot of climbing. I think generally, tri bikes will give you 1-2 mph more speed because of the aero position; but if you can't begin to keep up with the tri bikes in your group, I doubt the bike alone is going to make up that difference.

2014-01-02 5:17 AM
in reply to: dace

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by dace

I spent some time here on BT working out a custom training plan for my long course in Aug. I am confused because I am doing a much higher volume already, running 17MPW (and increasing), swimming 8K per week and I have not ridden in a couple mos but going out for a 10 miler today to shake the cobwebs.

This new plan has me starting at running 6 mi, swimming 2900 and biking 15...per week. This is a 10x per week plan (4run, 3swim, 3bike). Should I take that big of a step back or rework the plan. It is a beginner plan as I have only ever done a sprint, this is a much longer course. Perhaps I should look at a more intermediate plan? I was going to use the Don Fink plan up to the HIM section but this is a more accurate plan to my specific race so I thought it made more sense. Advice?

The problem with canned plans (or even custom plans on BT) is that they are canned. They're written for one middle of the bell curve athlete and then applied to athletes with all sorts of limiters.

Given what you've said, I would keep your run and swim volume consistent for the time and focus on building back bike volume. The bike is the key component for long course (and time on the bike will help your run). You want your bike mileage to be about 4 or 5 times your run mileage per week. For a 15 hour / week plan you're probably looking at 8 or 9 hours of biking.

The other thing you'll want to balance is volume versus intensity. Depending on your limiters you may need more pure, easy volume, or you may nee some intensity. You shouldn't crank volume and intensity at the same, it often leads to injury.

Have you done any testing to determine limiters?
2014-01-02 5:19 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Absolutely you can do an IM on a road bike.

100% correct! There is no need for a tri bike to do a 140.6. You can put aero bars on a road bike, but if you do so, you'll want to have the bike re-fitted. People get obsessed with the equipment, but in the end its all about the engine.
2014-01-02 5:20 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

The first thing you want to do is to set zones. Have you have done a heart rate test before? Do you have any recent 5K or 10K data?
2014-01-02 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Here's my blog post on "resolutions" or lack thereof : http://www.somerandomthursday.com/resolutions-how-do-we-feel-thumbs...
2014-01-02 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Lots of people re talking about losing weight or eating better.

Here's my question -- what is your definition of eating well?

2014-01-02 7:59 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by tdl1972
Originally posted by Brendab Started off the New Year with a nice & easy 7.15 mi run this morning. I don't do resolutions either but keep trying to do better throughout the year. My first goal is to track all my workouts. Thanks Justin for the swim workout info. I'll be sure to check those videos out. I currently use my cadence to train on my bike keeping it around 85. I have been wanting to break into my HRM but have to say that I'm totally clueless on how to use it. No doubt there are lots of videos to figure it out. I definitely have some homework to do so I understand the terminology being mentioned on this thread. Question - can I do an IM with my road bike OR do I need a tri-bike? Unfortunately when I bought my bike in June I struggled between buying a road or tri bike and now wish I had bought a tribike. I bought a Focus Izalco Pro and really like it but can't begin to keep up with the tri bikes on my group rides. I've also been told that tri bikes work more of the back of the legs due to your body's position and road bikes work the front of the legs. They said in a longer tri it's best not to use a road bike because you're really taxing the front of the legs (quads) on the bike and run. Feedback would be appreciated. Brenda
Absolutely you can do an IM on a road bike. You might even want to on courses with a lot of climbing. I think generally, tri bikes will give you 1-2 mph more speed because of the aero position; but if you can't begin to keep up with the tri bikes in your group, I doubt the bike alone is going to make up that difference.

Agreed you can do a IM on a roadie.  Also the aspect of it using different muscles is largely overblown IMO.  Most people have different positions on their road and tri bikes which isn't ideal.  Any variation in where you sit in relation to your pedals is going to change how your muscles are used.  In reality the most efficient body position (power/comfort in balance) will yield the best results so a good fit will put your body in almost identical positions no matter what the bike type.  So get fit (Retul, Serrotta, FIST, etc) and if you're going to put clip on bars (I'd suggest shorty bars) put them on prior to getting fit.  Also the whole doing a hilly course on a roadie vs a tri bike is a bit overblown.  The biggest advantage is where your shifters are.  Having them on the hoods (roadie) allows you to shift during a climb.  Of course Di2 nullifies this if you have it.

Also if you can't keep up it's the engine and not the bike.  I've watched guys on 1980s fixies go out and kill people on $10k bikes based on fitness alone.  

2014-01-02 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by dace I spent some time here on BT working out a custom training plan for my long course in Aug. I am confused because I am doing a much higher volume already, running 17MPW (and increasing), swimming 8K per week and I have not ridden in a couple mos but going out for a 10 miler today to shake the cobwebs. This new plan has me starting at running 6 mi, swimming 2900 and biking 15...per week. This is a 10x per week plan (4run, 3swim, 3bike). Should I take that big of a step back or rework the plan. It is a beginner plan as I have only ever done a sprint, this is a much longer course. Perhaps I should look at a more intermediate plan? I was going to use the Don Fink plan up to the HIM section but this is a more accurate plan to my specific race so I thought it made more sense. Advice?
The problem with canned plans (or even custom plans on BT) is that they are canned. They're written for one middle of the bell curve athlete and then applied to athletes with all sorts of limiters. Given what you've said, I would keep your run and swim volume consistent for the time and focus on building back bike volume. The bike is the key component for long course (and time on the bike will help your run). You want your bike mileage to be about 4 or 5 times your run mileage per week. For a 15 hour / week plan you're probably looking at 8 or 9 hours of biking. The other thing you'll want to balance is volume versus intensity. Depending on your limiters you may need more pure, easy volume, or you may nee some intensity. You shouldn't crank volume and intensity at the same, it often leads to injury. Have you done any testing to determine limiters?

This is very key for athletes new to long course tri.  I've worked with many athletes who can't understand why they get off the bike and can't run anywhere close to their open paces for the run distance.  Then you look at their bike training particulars and the race data.  You need to show up on race day being able to easily handle the bike distance and know what intensity you can ride and be able to get off and run to your fullest potential.  As I saw Macca say on a Kona broadcast a few years back "You can be the fastest marathoner in the world, but if the tank is empty when you show up in T2 you're not going anywhere."

2014-01-02 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kaburns1214 Lots of people re talking about losing weight or eating better. Here's my question -- what is your definition of eating well?

I try to shift my mindset to a "food is fuel" mentality.  I try to eat pretty balanced outside the training window and eat lean protiens (chicken, fish, leaner red meats), use fruits and veggies as my main carb sources and in the alternative use whole grain carbs, and healthy fats.  Most of what I need to do to make this happen is to plan out my weeks better nutritionally and eat out less.

2014-01-02 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi all. Returning member from 2013. I apologize for getting to the party a bit late. Had traveled a bit in December and had lots of family in town over the holidays.

Name: Chris

Story: I grew up outside of Baltimore playing lacrosse and played throughout high school, in college, during graduate school, and beyond. Over the years I incurred a number of injuries (torn acls, separated shoulder, etc) and took up the Irish sport of hurling a few years ago. Turns out, that is more violent than lacrosse and I decided to hang up the cleats for good after I tore my ACL again and had to have reconstructive surgery. So I needed something else to do. I ran over they years to mostly stay in shape and did a few road races but I knew just running wouldn't do it for me. So, in December 2012 I decided I wanted to try tris and signed up for some races. For some unknown reason one of the races that I signed up for was a HIM (Sept 2013): I think I may have been drinking at the time. I also joined this group last December, trained hard and consistently throughout the year, and am heading into season 2.

Family Status: I live with my partner of five years in North Yarmouth Maine. I have a daughter (11) and she has two daughters (10 and 6). We also have 2 dogs, 4 chickens, 2 cats, and a gecko.

2013 Races: I did 2 sprints, a HIM, a half marathon, 10k, and a few 5Ks.

2014 Races: Pumpkinman half iron 9/14; Likely Rev 3 Quassy (1/2); Polar Bear sprint (5/14); some sprint in MD in October (I forget the name), Beach to Beacon 10k and the Disney 1/2 Marathon next week. I will likely add another race or two but haven't figured it out yet.

Goals: To get faster. I am really pleased with how I did last year and hope to improve upon my results. My ultimate goal is to do a sub 5 for the Pumkinman. I also am getting more serious about what I eat and maintaining a really good diet. I tend to have a high metabolism, am always hungry, and tend to snack/eat late at night - which is a habit I want to break. Also, I am a really slow swimmer and would like to get just a bit faster...please oh please higher power...just a bit faster.

Thanks again for letting be jump in a bit later. I look forward to catching up on the recent posts and getting to know every one better.

Chris
2014-01-02 8:29 AM

User image

, Florida
Thanks for the feedback on road vs tri bike. I'll get some aerobars and get my bike refitted for those.

Healthy eating for me is lots of fruits & veggies, lean meat (I don't eat red meat, but do eat fish, chicken & turkey) and definitely try to stay away from the processed foods. I'll be pushing the bread away more and instead going for an extra helping of veggies. I love to juice too and will incorporate more. I use a both a VitaMix and a juicer, depending on what I'm trying to achieve. My one goal is to have my food/smoothie ready as soon as I'm finished a workout.

Brenda

2014-01-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Open
Originally posted by DDVMM

Originally posted by uhcoog

You want a set of paddles that will take your hand out of the pull entirely and forces you to use the forearm as your propulsion get some Finis PT paddles.  Maddening.  http://www.finisinc.com/pt-paddles.html

Form work in the pool and some water running today for me.  First workout without any pain in my knee in weeks.  Encouraging. 

Those paddles make me SORE after I use them!

Those things were created by the Marquis De Sade
2014-01-02 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the feedback on road vs tri bike. I'll get some aerobars and get my bike refitted for those.

Healthy eating for me is lots of fruits & veggies, lean meat (I don't eat red meat, but do eat fish, chicken & turkey) and definitely try to stay away from the processed foods. I'll be pushing the bread away more and instead going for an extra helping of veggies. I love to juice too and will incorporate more. I use a both a VitaMix and a juicer, depending on what I'm trying to achieve. My one goal is to have my food/smoothie ready as soon as I'm finished a workout.

Brenda

For what it is worth, I did my HIM last year on a road bike with aero bars. I also added a good tri saddle and changed the seat post to a more forward position and had a good bike fit. I did just fine on the bike leg.
2014-01-02 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Brenda

Any good juice recipes?

Right now I love beet-carrot-celery-lime
2014-01-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dace

The problem with canned plans (or even custom plans on BT) is that they are canned. They're written for one middle of the bell curve athlete and then applied to athletes with all sorts of limiters.

Given what you've said, I would keep your run and swim volume consistent for the time and focus on building back bike volume. The bike is the key component for long course (and time on the bike will help your run). You want your bike mileage to be about 4 or 5 times your run mileage per week. For a 15 hour / week plan you're probably looking at 8 or 9 hours of biking.

The other thing you'll want to balance is volume versus intensity. Depending on your limiters you may need more pure, easy volume, or you may nee some intensity. You shouldn't crank volume and intensity at the same, it often leads to injury.

Have you done any testing to determine limiters?

That is excellent advice, exactly what I needed to hear. I like the idea of putting in 4-5x more milage on the bike than the run, I can grasp that!

I do not know anything about testing limiters, can you expand on that? I can easily assume that bike and run are my limiters...I am only up to 17mi per week on my runs (4 -5 days) and haven't been riding. I only have a mountain bike now and it weighs a ton. Yesterday I did 8 mi in 39 mins LOL.
My last two tris on a rented road bike I did averaged 16 mph. seems pretty 'limited' ;-) Everyone passing me on the bike has nice strong looking thighs. I have very slender thighs, which has got to hurt me.

Good diet to me is focusing on a nutrient dense diet... minimal sugar, no processed foods, minimal grains, lots of healthy fats (avo, olive oil, coconut oil, olives, nuts, eggs and more avo), lean meats and LOADS of fresh veg and fruit. I try to cram as much nutrition into my diet as I can. Cronometer is an online food tracker that tracks nutrients, calories, macros and caloric expenditure. It is a pain in the butt, but if you can make tracking your diet a priority for a week or two, it can really give you some good insight as to how nutritious your diet really is. It is really easy to fill up on easy non-nutritious foods like bread and pasta.
Edited to add...I love juicing but my juicer is not working well. I love a combo of celery, kale or spinach, cucumber, mint, apple, carrot....peach when in season is a great addition too.

Edited by dace 2014-01-02 9:41 AM
2014-01-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

I can easily tell you what eating well is NOT. It is not eating all the high calorie, high sugar, high fat, highly processed foods my parents brought and left at my house over the holidays (Cheez-Its, Chocolates, Cookies, Fudge, Chips, pop)! It is also not eating highly processed foods like Godfather's pizza and monkey bread for supper. It is not eating a bowl of mac and cheese with corn for lunch, and certainly not eating Fruity Pebbles for breakfast.

It is eating lots of veggies, healthy fats (avocados, nuts, olive oil, canola oil, etc), greatly reducing foods made with white flour, or highly processed, reducing added sugar foods, eating lean meats.

I totally know how to do it, but often times lack of preparation, e.g. the tornado of the holidays, and this results in lots of poor choices and lack of effort and will power on my part. When we have fewer activities going on and a routine eating healthy seems so much easier. Also when we have nights when my husband in in charge of the meals, we end up with things like Fruity Pebbles, Mac & Cheese, and Pizza with Monkey bread for our daily food intake.

And I feel so much better when I eat healthy, highly nutritious foods. In fact I'm going to go make up a few days worth of breakfast veggie mini quiches right now.

Edited by crissy_jo 2014-01-02 11:12 AM

2014-01-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

, Florida
Crissy - thanks for the chuckle! No doubt we all know what NOT eating healthy looks like.....I know I do.

I've started tracking my food on Myfitnesspal, but will look into the other one mentioned.

My absolute favorite juice (if you love grapefruit) that I swear I could live on is "Juices by the Twos": 2 grapefruit, 2 oranges, 2 BIG handfuls of spinach (I always add extra), 2 stalks of celery. I sometimes add an apple.

Brenda
2014-01-02 10:36 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

Lean meats, fruits and veggies, and anything else I can get my hands on that is fresh and not processed (or at least minimally so).

My wife has a really good handle on this and helps me out big time.

I spent a good chunk of my summer eating foods that were not good for me. So at least I have a very good idea of what it means to not eat well!
2014-01-02 10:46 AM

User image

Champion

The first thing you want to do is to set zones. Have you have done a heart rate test before? Do you have any recent 5K or 10K data?

Hey, Kelly - I'd love to update my HR zones. I did an awesome PR 5K yesterday - how does that translate into zones? (Previously, like 6 years ago, I went through the whole HR/LTHR protocol; but if I can get decent numbers from my 5K, where I really did give it my best...that sounds better to me!)

Thanks!
2014-01-02 10:49 AM

User image

Champion

Real food. Lots of meat, veggies, fruit, eggs. Not so much grain. Love sweet potatoes; also eat white potatoes and rice on occasion. Trying to drop the sugar right now...the cookie monster attacked me over the holidays and my sweet tooth is back. Also, no fast food...a weakness of mine - I view it as treat food (not normal) - but I should find a better reward for after races or hard training sessions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24544 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99240 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.