BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by amd723

Ran in the Headlamp Hustle 10k trail run last night up by Madison. Lack of running really showed as that was tough. Not exactly an easy course either. Half true single track and half side-of-the-highway mowing type path across fields.

Also did the Blackhawk Country Roads ride in Rockton this morning, 65 mile route.

A night trail run sounds like fun!
Full moon? hehehe! (I've been in the car for almost 9hrs. Cut me some slack.)

Part of the swag was a little headlamp. They also started early enough that most everyone could get around before it really got dark out. So more twilight in the later parts. 

I was wondering about the viability of single track in darkness as I read this.  Then again, I managed to twist an ankle in complete daylight, so what is the difference, I guess? Will a RR be available? I am trying to gauge other peoples experiences with trail running.

I love it, but am off it for now.  Seems every time I get back into it and am getting all zen in nature - BAM - another twist of my previously broken ankle.  Happens about every 2-3 years for the past 2 decades… you'd think I'd learn.

I asked in TT about trail shoes a while back but didn't get much of a response.  I'm not sure if that would help a lot, but I can say that Newtons/ASICS/Saucony/ASICS/ASICS in road shoe models don't work well off-road (duh).    Like I said, every few years…  

Of course, in fairness, I broke the ankle running on the ROAD.  Well, actually on snow and ice, but it was covering a road - but still maybe not fair to malign trails, as it's likely more operator error.  Just a mental thing, likely.

Wish I could figure the single track/rough trail thing out, as I do love getting into the woods (well, except for the skeeters and insanely numerous ticks this year - the dogs are magnets!), but it just gets in my head.  I do a fair amount of running on the Minuteman trail here, but that's mostly crushed bank/stone and pretty well groomed/wide - and in daylight!

Not sure how the ultra community does it!

Matt

2014-05-25 10:22 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyKWent shoe shopping on Friday and just couldn't bring myself to pay $220 for a pair of Brooks Adrenalines when I know you guys can get them over there for about half that. Phil is going to be in Brownsberg Indianapolis in a couple of weeks and he said he would pick me up some. Can anyone suggest where the best place for him to find some would be?
I can't says "best" because I'm obviously not from that area, but there are Dick's Sporting Goods there and they've been running sales on Brooks. Adrenaline 13s for $89 a couple of weeks ago. Might check them out online before he leaves.
ld

Could also do these guys, and they'll ship to Oz for same as Indonesia--$15.99. I think it's free shipping in U.S.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/id/en/brooks/shoes-run

Are you set on a specific model (women's, I assume) of the Brooks Adrenaline? We're having crazy good sales here too and it's not much to ship one pair of shoes to Oz. May even be able to find a mule for you.

2014-05-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by cdban66

Ran in the Headlamp Hustle 10k trail run last night up by Madison. Lack of running really showed as that was tough. Not exactly an easy course either. Half true single track and half side-of-the-highway mowing type path across fields.

Also did the Blackhawk Country Roads ride in Rockton this morning, 65 mile route.

A night trail run sounds like fun!
Full moon? hehehe! (I've been in the car for almost 9hrs. Cut me some slack.)

Part of the swag was a little headlamp. They also started early enough that most everyone could get around before it really got dark out. So more twilight in the later parts. 

I was wondering about the viability of single track in darkness as I read this.  Then again, I managed to twist an ankle in complete daylight, so what is the difference, I guess? Will a RR be available? I am trying to gauge other peoples experiences with trail running.

I love it, but am off it for now.  Seems every time I get back into it and am getting all zen in nature - BAM - another twist of my previously broken ankle.  Happens about every 2-3 years for the past 2 decades… you'd think I'd learn.

I asked in TT about trail shoes a while back but didn't get much of a response.  I'm not sure if that would help a lot, but I can say that Newtons/ASICS/Saucony/ASICS/ASICS in road shoe models don't work well off-road (duh).    Like I said, every few years…  

Of course, in fairness, I broke the ankle running on the ROAD.  Well, actually on snow and ice, but it was covering a road - but still maybe not fair to malign trails, as it's likely more operator error.  Just a mental thing, likely.

Wish I could figure the single track/rough trail thing out, as I do love getting into the woods (well, except for the skeeters and insanely numerous ticks this year - the dogs are magnets!), but it just gets in my head.  I do a fair amount of running on the Minuteman trail here, but that's mostly crushed bank/stone and pretty well groomed/wide - and in daylight!

Matt

ha! "Operator error". I started with some old clunky Nikes, and now I'm on my second pair of Brooks Cascadias. I find trail running so refreshing. We have desert scape, of course. Lots of rocky terrain and cacti-lined trails. Our local critters beware are rattlers and africanized bees. And when we got past dusk a couple months ago, I was eyes peeled for bigger things. They've been promoting a Ranger Trail Race near us this fall. I think it would be really fun. Details: 6 other dependable people for team and...kids. Got a couple months to work on it.
2014-05-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: #5001276

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Erin I'd love to Ragnar with you guys! Doing a six team rather than a 12 team?

As for trail shoes Salomons are my faves
2014-05-25 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Sooooo... do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

2014-05-25 11:33 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

2014-05-25 11:37 AM

User image

Master
^^^link for TJ. Or anyone interested. Lol
2014-05-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Dp

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-05-25 11:39 AM
2014-05-25 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm late, but here is my bio:

Name - cdban66/Chris

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A number of years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose, I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Walt Disney World, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year and have begun to consider longer races in my future

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 47 yr old male and I've been married for over 27 years. I have 2 girls, ages 23 and 25. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have begun to occasionally add more intensity to running and biking. This has brought on a better focus to recovery as well, and as I get a bit older, I realize the importance of the entire process, not solely the training.

LAST YEAR: 2012 and 2013 were skinny racing, or should I say participating, years. I did a couple of races, but family obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2013 RACES: I PR'd my HM in March. That was followed by a couple of sprints during the summer, a pretty good bike crash in the middle of a July race was the lowlight. I pretty much stopped racing by September.

2014 Events: Probably about 3 or 4 sprints in the summer, then something longer at the end of the season. Bike mechanic class in early June.

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 225, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MANATEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I have built a single speed/fixie bike in January, with the intention of learning more on the mechanical side. I have an eye towards a tri bike build in the future. I read logs for info and motivation, post a bit and you will likely receive an "Inspire" or 2 from me every week.

2014-05-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

I use a pair of Montrail Masochist II's on the trails. They are quite warm for down here and a whole lot more shoe than I need for the trails I run. If they ever die, I'll probably try some Salomans. I think the shoe is important on the trails, especially if you are doing technical stuff.

2014-05-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Oooooooh! Erin that looks awesome! I like the loops idea!!!!

2014-05-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Just chucking my keys into the pot. Will post a bio when there's 25 hours in the day. Meh.
2014-05-25 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlifehttp://www.ragnartrail.com/locations/mcdowell-mountain-az
If I lived anywhere nearby, I would do this! Looks fantastic!!
2014-05-25 3:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunnerOooooooh! Erin that looks awesome! I like the loops idea!!!!
I've been mentally tossing it around since I saw it a couple of months ago. It looks so fun! Being family friendly (kids could go) makes me seriously think about looking for a team. Let me talk to J more
2014-05-25 4:01 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Originally posted by 4agoodlifehttp://www.ragnartrail.com/locations/mcdowell-mountain-az
If I lived anywhere nearby, I would do this! Looks fantastic!!
What? You don't want to jump in the car and drive across the country? Doesn't it look really fun? Awesome trails, good organization, and fun off-trail activities.
2014-05-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Originally posted by RichardsdrrJust chucking my keys into the pot. Will post a bio when there's 25 hours in the day. Meh.
awww...you want mom to do it for you? I have three more hours in the car :/ (for new manatees, I am sometimes his mom. Lol) On a serious note, you sound stressed still

2014-05-25 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Sooooo..do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

Good grief what kind of trail did you take? It must have held some great appeal to risk neon dulling. As for washing...do wipe downs count?
2014-05-25 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Sooooo... do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

Yes, I have washed more than one pair. Wash, scrub, rinse, let stand outside to dry.

2014-05-25 9:04 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunnerOooooooh! Erin that looks awesome! I like the loops idea!!!!
I've been mentally tossing it around since I saw it a couple of months ago. It looks so fun! Being family friendly (kids could go) makes me seriously think about looking for a team. Let me talk to J more

What a blast!  I know I can't do it this year but might be interested in doing it next year.

2014-05-25 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Quick post, more later. Just finished my shadow HM. Set a PR today of 1:50:31 with a pace of 8:26 PPM. I am very pleased, very hungry, and very tired. Going to eat "dinner" (actually breakfast food) and go to bed for a few hours.
2014-05-25 9:34 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills Quick post, more later. Just finished my shadow HM. Set a PR today of 1:50:31 with a pace of 8:26 PPM. I am very pleased, very hungry, and very tired. Going to eat "dinner" (actually breakfast food) and go to bed for a few hours.

All that pace work you've been doing really paid off!!  Great job!!

2014-05-26 6:54 AM
in reply to: #5001507

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
On the bus to Boulder!
2014-05-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Just chucking my keys into the pot. Will post a bio when there's 25 hours in the day. Meh.

Ha!  That's awesome - made me smirk for a few minutes (but the movie "Ice Storm" always goes through my head when I hear "key party" - if you haven't seen it… ugh). 

As for washing shoes - I usually do it because of what's INSIDE them (although I like the salutary effect of a good cleaning on the outside - I love me my hella bright kicks).  <stinky>

Darren, if you're the master of the mini-taper, I might have to get some schoolin' from you.  I decided yesterday that I'm going to do the 6/8 HIM I had on the books (and then took off my schedule after the knee and hammy-whammy of the last couple months).  The last 2 weeks went well enough that I'm going to start it and target something between compete and complete for the race strategy.

We'll see, but I won't have done my usual build/peak/taper blocks.  More like "enforced rest from injury/short build/taper week."  Feels like when I cram a race into the mid-season, taper-wise, but without the base!  

Finally, a shout out to our uniformed folks, past and present.  Freedom is anything but free, and as I personally remember my friends and family in the services (some of whom fell in the line of duty), I'm struck by the same deep sense of gratitude I always feel for the sacrifices they and others made and make.  Thank you!

Matt

2014-05-26 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner On the bus to Boulder!

RR or it didn't happen!

We came pretty close to moving to Boulder last fall (ultimately didn't think the job was a perfect fit, so didn't do it) and I TOTALLY fell in love with working out there (except for all the fasties that would blow by me).    Such a great place for it!

I can't wait to hear about it!

Matt

2014-05-26 7:58 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jbwillsQuick post, more later. Just finished my shadow HM. Set a PR today of 1:50:31 with a pace of 8:26 PPM. I am very pleased, very hungry, and very tired. Going to eat "dinner" (actually breakfast food) and go to bed for a few hours.
Yay!! Congratulations!!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.