BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2007-12-11 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1096486

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
lastcall2003 - 2007-12-11 8:39 PM

Hey there Renee! 

Glad the shoes worked out

I'll PM you with the LBS info!

One of my favorite books is Triathlons for Women, by Sally Edwards (sorry fellas).  It is a heartfelt book, written in an easy reading, easy to understand style.  It will give you a great 30,000 ft view of what to expect and how to prepare.

Thanks, I'll look into it & thanks for the LBS info!

So everyone, I'm starting to wonder what to expect this first race . . . Is it common to switch to breaststroke for a while to recover during the swim or to walk some during the run? My fear is always that it will be hard to talk myself back into running after stopping to walk!

Renee

2007-12-11 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Here is my first tri experience. Remember there was NO TRAINING before this event escept to see if I could stay a float for the swim. This will be a short race report.

For the swim I start in the middle thinking I will be ok and after getting bashed around start to fall back after about 100 meters totally tired so no breast stroke here I go back stroke and do the rest. Funny thing is there is a guy beside me doing breast stroke and we start talking and he stops the breast stroke and says thanks cause now he can go easy also and talk the rest of the swim in. Out of the water and to T1 OH MY GOD where did I put my bike!!!! Find it and start drying off and the guy from the swim is right beside me how cool. More talking I eat a banana and off on the bike. he is out faster as I ate and took my time. On the ride I am riding a mountain bike but am passing lots of people. Start to ride with no hands cause it is a nice day and look over to see someone throwing up. Guess they aren't have a good day. I passed 170 people on the bike and averaged 21.2 m/h. Into T2 hop off the bike thinking I will be cool and carry my bike up the stairs. Lift it up and take a couple of steps and WOW JELLO legs but get them back. into T2 OH my God where is my stuff so I can put my bike away. Find it and get the running shoes on and head out for the run. I hated running and never ran before this so I walk talking with everyone having a great time. Stop and play with this awesome little PUG puppy for a couple of minutes on the run then resume. Coming up to the finish line well 800 m left start 2 is about to go and they start singing the national anthem so like a patriot I stop take off my hat and sing along. So over lets get this DONE!! Ok I can run the last 500 m and start going 10 m from finish line noticed I passed my gf at the time and friend we came with. Yest they beat me and so they should they trained. So I turn around run back give the gf a hug and kiss tell her I am so proud of her then back to the finish line to Cross 19 seconds under my goal time of 2:00 hours. This was only a sprint but I did beat my goal time.

I am very competitive and THIS WAS THE MOST FUN I HAVE HAD IN ANY ATHLETIC COMPETITION I HAVE BEEN IN.

I must say running has helped me control my competitiveness as I know I will never win a race and am out there to finish have fun and live the healthy lifestyle.

Edited by ShawnC13 2007-12-11 9:57 PM
2007-12-11 9:55 PM

Regular

Renee  Great news about the running shoes! Makes a huge difference, doesn't it?  I still hate running, but now at least my feet feel good. 

I plan on swimming freestyle throughout the swim.  I will be MUCH faster if I stay with freestyle (I'm a slow breaststroker).  I've heard that the majority of racers walk at least some portion of the run...I'm sure that I will be.

2007-12-11 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1096667

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Shawn,

thanks for sharing your story!

2007-12-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1096481

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

rreischl - 2007-12-11 8:36 PM Beth, Thanks for sharing your race report, sounds like a GREAT first experience! I had goosebumps reading it . . . and am even more excited, if that’s possible? LOL! The support sounds amazing. . . Congrats on your races to-date! Renee

I know this probably sounds really dorky, but I got goosebumps and a little teary eyed when I stumbled across it

it was truly a life changing experience

2007-12-12 1:18 AM
in reply to: #1096690

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
lastcall2003 - 2007-12-11 8:05 PM

I know this probably sounds really dorky, but I got goosebumps and a little teary eyed when I stumbled across it

Not even a little bit dorky, Beth.

Shawn, thanks for writing up your report! I love reading about everyone's firsts.

Renee, I can't speak from experience but everything I've read about tri swims says that people do all kinds of different strokes to get themselves through it. I think it's fine to do a breast stroke if you need to. And on the run -- yep, lots and lots of people walk for at least some of it. No worries there.

Hey, expert swimmers? I just wrote up a somewhat detailed account of my swim tonight, and was hoping for some advice. It's in my training log and kind of long, so you don't have to read the whole thing. But I have two questions in particular:

1) Apparently I'm much faster when I breathe every other stroke instead of every third. I'm glad to have figured this out (and in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious -- I'm breathing more, so I get less tired), but the problem is that when I breathe on every left stroke, my right-side stroke really suffers. Does anyone have any ideas for improving a stroke on the breath? Like, what can I do to make my right-side pull stronger when I'm turning to breathe on the left?

2) I'm pretty sure my hips are sinking, a lot, because I am waaaaay faster with a pull buoy. Are there any drills I can do to help with sinking hips? I'm working on improving my kick, and I think that will help (right?), but is there something else I can do?

Edited by Fielding 2007-12-12 2:31 AM

2007-12-12 2:26 AM
in reply to: #1096417

User image

Melon Presser

BETH'S FIRST RACE REPORT & YANTI'S FIRST TRI REPORT

Bethie darling ... how incredibly inspirational. The sun surely shone strong in BT the day Cat made you a Bumper (I am convinced, just for me!!!) [Beth and I got to know each other in a challenge team called Things That Go Bump in the Night.] And speaking of bumps ...

Like others, I got goosebumps when I read about YOU getting goosebumps and the little kids high-fived and the crowd cheered. And I LOVED that you got cowbell! It's so important! I didn't get any until my third tri and it was so wonderful. There were a bunch of cowbellers at CIM and I wanted to run up to them, and, I don't know, kiss them and moo.  You reminded me how very precious those memories of the "first time" are, and as I'm heading into a new season, of how important it is to hang on to that joy of the experience and of simply finishing. Yay, Beth!

I went and dug up my blog entry (I had a regular online blog for a while) of my first tri, which I haven't read since I wrote it (funny, back then I didn't even know what an Athena was! How haunting I'd pick that title for the entry):

I AM TRI-ATHENA!!!

posted 04/10/05

Many thanks to my well-wishers (and by the way, I've enabled non-member comments again).  I am tremendously pleased to report that I am indeed alive, moreover, having as much skin as I entered the triathlon with, and if any other racers don't, at least it wasn't on account of me.

And, since I am making the world a better place simply because people laugh a lot when they see me (not sure why ... must ponder ... ) I tootled my turtle-squeaky-horn with vigor every time I passed a race volunteer. By the third lap some of them were chanting, "Squeak that cute horn!" I hope they were talking about the turtle.

I didn't come in dead last, either, which really surprised me.  Triathletes are a pretty dedicated bunch--I mean, THEY didn't have squeaky horns or streamers on their bikes--but I finished in the top five in my division (okay, okay, there were only five in my division).  

I wasn't last in the run (the first leg), but I was by far the last cyclist in--even the runners behind me had overtaken me.  However, I passed several people in the transition between bike/swim and then charged ahead of several more during the swim.  And now I really am going to tootle my own horn (I deserve it, dammit!)--I'm a great swimmer.  I clocked a faster swim time than some of the top finishers, despite that on the last 150m both my legs were completely cramped up and I was windmilling ahead on arms only, pulling dead leg weight behind me.

Not bad for a little girl who just learned how to ride a bicycle.

A final note: technically, this was a 'sprint' triathlon--4mi run, 10mi bike, 400m swim. All I can say is, no bloody event lasting more than ten minutes should ever be called a sprint.  Ever.

Huh! Amen to that sprint comment! And now ... just 'cause I'm a picture whor3 (as those of you who dropped by my log noticed), and have no shame in my game ... here's my finisher's pic (I get nostalgic--it warms my heart I didn't know any better than to not swim in a cotton bra and my running shorts) ...

2007-12-12 5:51 AM
in reply to: #1096470

User image

Melon Presser

RENEE re. RUN/WALK, REST/BASE, HIM TRAINING

rreischl - 2007-12-11 8:28 PM Regarding the run/walk info . . . I finally gave running a try in August with some runs outside around a park – unsure of distance. My goal each time was to run the same # laps faster or more laps without stopping. Just showing you how I think / where I’m coming from. In September I recorded my first treadmill run at 2 miles averaging 11 min/mile. Again, since then my goal has been to either build distance or time without stopping. I try to do 1 or 2 short runs per week and one long run per week. My longest run to date was a 6 mile in 64 minutes. With that being said, should I change now to a run/walk system? How much running vs walking should I do on a 3 mile run or on a 6 mile run for example?

If you're comfortable running continuously, and you don't slow down or feel like you're putting forth a lot more effort toward the end of training runs, feel free to keep doing it. At the same time, there's no harm in trying run/walk for a short run or two and seeing if you like it. On an 11-minute training mile, try 1 minute walking every 5-6 minutes.

It seems that I could use a good 30,000 ft view . . . if anyone has any good references for me to read, I’d be happy to!

x2 on Sally Edwards.

saw reference to base training & am not clear as to how that fits in for example? Does that come into play before starting a training program? Do I need a rest period before starting a training program?

Since there have been so many questions on it, and it's a hot (and fundamental, hence, base) topic in endurance sports, I'll actually do my little spiel on it when I have a moment to pull it together--like Thursday. Some programs assume a certain aerobic fitness base (that's where they say "you should be able to swim, bike, run X much"; most include additional base work. As for a rest period--do you feel like you need one?

My goal is to complete a HIM on June 15. So I am trying to work everything back from that point. I’d like to get 1 or 2 oly triathlons in before then - one that I may be able to make it to is in the beginning of April. I also was considering a half-marathon at the beginning of May. I wouldn't be going out my hardest at these, they would mainly be to help with my training and to prepare me for the HIM. I haven’t selected a training plan yet & honestly don’t know how to. My plan was to sign up as a gold member on here (but I need to wait a week so the membership lasts through my race day). Then I was going to select a plan. In the meantime I have just been trying to work up to the “starting” distances in the free BT HIM training program. I would need to start a 20 week program on Jan 28 for the June 15 race. But, I don’t know how it affects the training if I throw an oly or 2 and/or the half-marathon in there. Should I be planning to start the training program sooner? Any advice is much appreciated before I go to set up a plan! Maybe all of my questions will be answered when I sign up as a gold member and go to select a plan? If that's the case, just tell me to sit tight Thanks, Renee

Yes. What I mean is, it's wise to work up to the starting distances for the HIM. The cool thing about training for HIM is that you're more than prepared for the Oly, and three months (maybe more, if you're planning to work out throughout December) is plenty for that. Doing a half-mary is a great tune-up for a HIM and a month after the Oly is enough time to recover.

And yes, you can also just sit tight--part of a gold membership is that your coach helps you select a training plan, work it with your races, and provide ongoing support.

2007-12-12 5:53 AM
in reply to: #1096667

User image

Melon Presser

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-11 9:51 PM Here is my first tri experience. Remember there was NO TRAINING before this event escept to see if I could stay a float for the swim. This will be a short race report.

That's hilarious. What a wonderful first tri experience (I just jumped into my first one, too, except for learning how to ride a bike). I especially loved the part about stopping to play with a puppy--I ALWAYS take dog breaks on races, still! (And pugs are especial good luck, I think).

2007-12-12 5:55 AM
in reply to: #1096907

User image

Melon Presser

ERIN re. SWIMMING FORM

Fielding - 2007-12-12 1:18 AM
lastcall2003 - 2007-12-11 8:05 PM

Not even a little bit dorky, Beth. Shawn, thanks for writing up your report! I love reading about everyone's firsts. Renee, I can't speak from experience but everything I've read about tri swims says that people do all kinds of different strokes to get themselves through it. I think it's fine to do a breast stroke if you need to. And on the run -- yep, lots and lots of people walk for at least some of it. No worries there. Hey, expert swimmers? I just wrote up a somewhat detailed account of my swim tonight, and was hoping for some advice. It's in my training log and kind of long, so you don't have to read the whole thing. But I have two questions in particular: 1) Apparently I'm much faster when I breathe every other stroke instead of every third. I'm glad to have figured this out (and in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious -- I'm breathing more, so I get less tired), but the problem is that when I breathe on every left stroke, my right-side stroke really suffers. Does anyone have any ideas for improving a stroke on the breath? Like, what can I do to make my right-side pull stronger when I'm turning to breathe on the left? 2) I'm pretty sure my hips are sinking, a lot, because I am waaaaay faster with a pull buoy. Are there any drills I can do to help with sinking hips? I'm working on improving my kick, and I think that will help (right?), but is there something else I can do?

This is a good article published on BT (btw, there's a host of great info in the BT articles--you all ought to peruse them sometime) on swim drills you can do to help balance out your stroke:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1334

Try some of those and get back to me or Beth (who is an amazing swimmer) if you have questions.

2007-12-12 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Yanti do you ever sleep I notice the time on some of your posts. Thanks for that link I am really wanting to improve my swim because I have to I don't want to do backstroke in another tri

2007-12-12 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1096922

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Yanti, what a wonderful accounting of your first tri!  Thank you for sharing it

Thank you also for your kind words, as always, you brought a smile to my face

2007-12-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1096470

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey renee

i started as the classic couch potato-very little physical activity, bad food choices, etc.

start slow, building up your aerobic base will benefit all of your activities. try to focus on running for 1 hour straight versus running 5 miles. it makes a difference.
a good hard bike ride will strengthen your quads for running. the aerobic benfits of long bike rides makes long runs easier. for swimming time in the pool is the bottom line. use your training log-it is easy to see ones progress over a couple of months time.

have fun.
2007-12-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1097219

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Swim Technique

We had a very similar conversation in our swim challenge thread yesterday.  Pam (barqhead), a member of the reindeer challenge team and is truly an amazing swimmer posted some great tips and also some links to some videos

Since she already phrased the advice so well, I'm borrowing directly from her

1. Bi-lateral breathing is not a requirement - it can come in very handy, especially in an OWS situation.  It can be helpful if the water is chop or sun glare in one direction. Depending on your comfort level with freestyle, it is great to try and get used to breathing on both sides sooner vs later - even if it's only 25 yds at a time.

2. The side kick drill really works well for this. It's like you "freeze" your stroke in the side-breathing position. Practice sighting the lane line while doing this drill. Kick one 25 on your right side, then another on your left. That way your muscles are working symmetrically and you are practicing bi-lateral breathing skills. Do this with flippers if you have some that fit. You can progress to single arm drills with a kickboard held with your outstretch arm. Stroke with the free hand and practice your lane line sighting as you turn your head to breathe. Keep an ear in the water. That is the biggest mistake I see from those with trouble breathing. They lift their head instead of simply turning it. Then their hips and legs sink. If you have to pause a bit in your stroke while finding your "sweet spot" that is ok.

3.  Links to some videos she provided - Notice these guys are breathing to one side only. Breathing to their "weaker" side slows them down. So they won't do that in a race. Swim races are decided by hundredths of a second. That is rarely the case for us triathletes. The goal for us is to finish the swim going as fast as possible using the least amount of energy as possible. It is not cool for us to get on the bike and have to recover from our swim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaA0JhMZsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZdx_WVnG_M&mode=related&search

Thanks Pam!

2007-12-12 10:30 AM

Regular
I did the run/walk thing today and felt GREAT!!!!    Thanks everyone!  If you're curious you can see the details in my log.
2007-12-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1097415

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ldatug - 2007-12-12 10:30 AM I did the run/walk thing today and felt GREAT!!!!    Thanks everyone!  If you're curious you can see the details in my log.

Yaaaay!  So glad that worked for you!  I read your log entry and it sounds like you did awesome

2007-12-12 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Good morning, all!  All this talk about new running shoes made my feet jealous, so I went and bought some new ones last night (I had a coupon!).  Bought the same ones that I had, which I looooove.  I don't think they will be ready to run the 12k on Sunday, but I will try them out tomorrow on my scheduled run.  I am signing up for a Jan. 1 5k as a "Clydesdale" (where's the Athenas?) and the race ends with a jump into frigid Lake Washington. Sorry if this is repeat info, I am just freaking out that I am actually going to do that.  LW is cold in the summer, for pete's sake!! 

I like Sally Edwards' books, too.  I highly recommend Jayne Williams' "Slow, Fat Triathlete" as well.  It really helped me feel ok about getting out there  to compete even though I wasn't 125 pounds of solid muscle.    She's a member of BT and posts a lot in the Clydes/Athena thread.

2007-12-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1097415

User image

Melon Presser

ldatug - 2007-12-12 10:30 AM I did the run/walk thing today and felt GREAT!!!!    Thanks everyone!  If you're curious you can see the details in my log.

Yay Laura! I am so glad you tried it and liked it. It is good stuff ... and as you observed in your log, it really doesn't slow you down (as noted, will actually speed you up in long races or at the end of a triathlon).

And Leslie--yay for new shoes! (I'm still waiting for mine ... grrr). I love Slow Fat Triathlete--I reread it often for inspiration, tips, and belly-laugh-out-loud every page.

Beth--thank you for the great swim resources, you're a treasure trove of them.

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-12 1:06 PM
2007-12-12 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thanks for all the great advice, gang! I love the side-kicking drills to work on my balance.

I actually feel pretty comfortable bilateral breathing -- meaning, I think my rotation is mostly OK, and I like how it balances out my strokes. But there's no doubt I'm slower when I bilateral breathe, I think mostly because I don't get enough oxygen and tire out much faster. I will almost definitely breathe only on the left side in a race.

So here's my next question: In swim practices, should I keep bilateral breathing all the time? My tentative plan is to breathe on both sides, every third stroke, during the vast majority of my workout, but to do about 400 yards or so of "sprints" breathing only on the left side. Is that a bad idea?

Man, I really need to find a good coach. A friend who's a great swimmer and a coach was supposed to visit next week and I was going to offer my couch in exchange for a visit to the Y so she could check out my stroke, but it turns out she can't come after all. Stupid friend! *g*

I'm super jealous of you folks with the new shoes. I'm making myself wait until after Christmas. I love new shoes, and new running clothes. Nothing motivates me as much as new clothes! (I'm such a girl.)

Oh! I almost forgot. Yanti! I loved your first race report, and the photo (cotton bra -- hee!). So cool. Reading your post made me want to get out there and race RIGHT NOW.

Edited by Fielding 2007-12-12 1:37 PM
2007-12-12 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1097850

User image

Melon Presser

ERIN ON BILATERAL BREATHING

Fielding - 2007-12-12 1:26 PM In swim practices, should I keep bilateral breathing all the time? My tentative plan is to breathe on both sides, every third stroke, during the vast majority of my workout, but to do about 400 yards or so of "sprints" breathing only on the left side. Is that a bad idea?

Hector told a friend of Beth's and mine, "Easy does it ... one psychotic thing at a time." (Assuming of course that endurance athletes are nuts ... ). It's a great idea, but why not ease into it? Bilateral breathe every 4th length to start with, for example. Work it in slowly. If your training plan calls for sprints, do them however is easiest for you. [Insert standard caveats about being careful and not getting injured, blah blah ... in my completely unprofessional and only anecdotally substantiated opinion, swim shoulder injuries come from overuse and/or hundreds of strokes practiced with poor form, especially crossing over the midline ... not from a few fun sprints. Emphasis, as always, on FUN.]

Man, I really need to find a good coach.

Yeah, time and money are tough. Our friend Judi has had very good experience with

Aaaaaah I gotta run to yoga ... more later!

2007-12-12 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1097967

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2007-12-12 12:17 PM

Hector told a friend of Beth's and mine, "Easy does it ... one psychotic thing at a time." (Assuming of course that endurance athletes are nuts ... ). It's a great idea, but why not ease into it? Bilateral breathe every 4th length to start with, for example. Work it in slowly. If your training plan calls for sprints, do them however is easiest for you.

Hee! I know my friends definitely think I'm psychotic with this training thing. But I've been at it long enough that I think maybe they're starting to get used to it. Or maybe they've just always thought I was nuts, but now they have something in particular they can pin it on.

Anyway, bilateral breathing. I've been bilateral breathing for months now -- it's how I swim all the time, so it's totally comfortable for me. But now I'm wondering whether I should be practicing only left-side breathing sometimes, since a) I'm faster that way and b) that's how I usually swim in open water.

2007-12-12 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Fort Worth

Ok, this week has been hectic and I feel like I have not contributed enough. Hence I'm going back to read every single post and I'm not going home till I have done so. LOL.

OK, at least the last four pages since I read the first one. By the way you guys and gals are really cool from what I have read on the first page.

Note to self: Don't roller blade with leslie, she may be dangerous. LOL

Three Tri Virgins in the group: Terri, Laura, Will. This is so awesome because we will get to share in your first tri experiences. That is so cool! Ok Shawn I'm going to consider you a semi tri virgin since it was five years ago. LOL.

Beth is here too which is going to make things really fun and Yanti what a great mentor she is. Ok I missed someone, I'll add more comentary on those team mates as I read on.

On top of it all we're discussing rest/recovery, walk/run techniques, and when to change shoes. We're actually going to learn a whole bunch while we have fun talking and inspiring each other.

Ok back to reading the other pages.

2007-12-12 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Been a crazy week here also training not going well I will miss my swim lesson tonight gf is working and I have to watch the kids. But it is ok my real training will start in new year this is maintenance and preparation. I keep learning it is great I miss so much at work and come home and have a ton to read which is great!!!

I am off tomorrow so I maybe posting more but maybe not waiting for the delivery of my KING size Bed oh I can't wait
2007-12-12 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1097850

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

More thoughts about the swim.

Erin, you were in my thoughts as I was swimming tonight.  I found myself really thinking about the various aspects of my stroke and the mechanics and how they might apply to your questions.

Of course it is virtually impossible to diagonse what is going right/or wrong with someone's stroke without atually seeing them, so I'm just going to provide some additional food for thought.  If you you can find a coach that can take a look at your stroke, that will provide you with the best feedback.

One thing you may want ot check out is whether or not there are any upcoming tri clinics in your area.  January is usually a great time for tri clinics to be held.  Often times the clinic will include swim analysis among a lot of other really great input. 

I went to one last Jan and the taped us under water and then the coach analyzed our stroke and gave us feedback. (the really funny thing it turned out that the coach at the clinic was my HS coach - LOL)

ok, now for the food for thought: (please keep in mind these are just opinions coming from an ex- swim teacher and coach, I'm not a professional coach )

Kick -

The kick is an extremely part of the overall stroke and effeciency.  If your kicking technique isn't quite right it may be impacting your overall effeciency and there is a possiblity that your kick isn't quite even when you breath.  A friend of mine's kick always gets out of rythm when he breaths to one particular side, and I can actually see him slow down during that moment. 

Here are a couple of links that show some nice kick technique - also take note of the position of the swimmer's body in the water

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WDpxZyUYvqU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oac5nUDns94

Bilateral vs one side breathing during your workout

I need to start this one out with a question.  Are you following a set training plan?  I looked at your logs and didn't see one.  The reason I ask is because when I initially got back into swimming, I just kind of 'did my own thing' and made some progress.  Once I really started following the plans, including the yardage, and the drills, I saw my progress really accelerate (I cut 3 min off of my swim time in the same sprint I shared my report on)

A combination of drills and swimming is very important for improving technique and endurance.

Having said that, I think that when you are doing sprint drills you should do whatever you are most comfortable with.  It seems to me that you should determine the way you are going to feel the most comfortable swimming during the OWS, whether it be bilateral  or breathing to one side.

Once you have determined that, focus on your technique in that fashion and become as efficient as possible.

a final thought, there may be something you do slightly different when you breath on one side vs another that is slowing you down.  a common thing I see is that people lift their head rather than breath, which can cause their hips to sink

so, that's my .02 fwiw

2007-12-12 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Fort Worth

Man I'm finally to page 4 of the 5 pages and it's 6 pm. I noticed two more tri virgins to the team, that is so awesome. Erin and Renee, welcome to the team.

Another wow, I read everyones stories and listen to the training plans/goals and you guys are amazing. I'm really excited to be a part of this group!

Yanti! You really are a great mentor, you have provided some awesome advice, along with everyone else.

Ok one more page to go and read and then I'm all caught up.

Edited by HCS5QA 2007-12-12 8:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61