BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
LOOK, THEY MADE ONE IN PINK!!   I'M IN HEAVEN!

(pink 70.3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pink 70.3.jpg (17KB - 8 downloads)

2009-05-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2145846

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
cadmus - 2009-05-12 11:03 AM

swbkrun - 2009-05-12 8:15 AM Tracy you were close, except is a race photo (here they have a magnifying glass to view photo's... Sort of odd, but I was suprised to see lines in my calf.  That is what is must look like of the verge of cramping, because they exploded that day!

http://www.racephotos.net/PhotoDetails.asp?nPhotoID=568950&sReturnKey=R:644094

Suzy- I happen to dig wearing capri's!  I think they are super comfortable.... Friends think I "swing the other way" when I have them on, but I dig em' and that is all that matters!! 

Do you carry a murse when you wear your manpris?  NTTAWWT

OHHHHHH, I like this one!

So I pulled a Steve today.  I put my suit on at home and headed to the pool.  Swam, showered, went to dress and guess what? yep, no underwear!  If I had an IM tatoo like Steve, I might have taken a picture of the situation, but given its absence I decided it would be inappropriate.  I did get a few looks from the blue hairs that had just finished up water aerobics, but a girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do!  Now, there is a little less laundry to do!

Suzy
2009-05-12 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2146201

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-05-12 11:52 AM

swbkrun - 2009-05-12 8:15 AM Tracy you were close, except is a race photo (here they have a magnifying glass to view photo's... Sort of odd, but I was suprised to see lines in my calf.  That is what is must look like of the verge of cramping, because they exploded that day!

Suzy- I happen to dig wearing capri's!  I think they are super comfortable.... Friends think I "swing the other way" when I have them on, but I dig em' and that is all that matters!! 

So I pulled a Steve today.  I put my suit on at home and headed to the pool.  Swam, showered, went to dress and guess what? yep, no underwear!  If I had an IM tatoo like Steve, I might have taken a picture of the situation, but given its absence I decided it would be inappropriate.  I did get a few looks from the blue hairs that had just finished up water aerobics, but a girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do!  Now, there is a little less laundry to do!

Suzy
SUZY...I will step out and represent the male SWBKRN populus.....THAT IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN PULLING A STEVE! Funny the only reason you didn't take a picture was because you do not have an IM Tattoo...Tatoo or no tattoo a picture would have been nice.Tongue out

Edited by TrevorC 2009-05-12 1:03 PM
2009-05-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2146201

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2009-05-12 1:52 PM

Suzy

Suzy, you realize of course that by admitting to this in THIS group you have forever lost the user name of SSMinnow.  I cring to think of what's coming.... you are a braver sole than I commando.
2009-05-12 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Just for you Suzy....

(commando.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
commando.jpg (27KB - 20 downloads)
2009-05-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2146266

User image

Champion

tahrens - 2009-05-12 1:12 PM Just for you Suzy....

ROTFL  I guess I never thought of that Tracy!  I honestly felt silly putting on my pants w/o any und....well never mind!

The funny thing is when I was leading my marketing department at SC Johnson, I got the nickname "Little General" so I guess Commander (not not the "o") would be ok.

Bring it on!

2009-05-12 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Need everyone's opinion..  Should I buy an entry into the NYC triathlon?  It's expensive (i would have to buy $300 of gear from a local store (proceeds donated to charity) and $225 entry fee.  I have to decide soon because i think they only have 1 or 2 spots left for sale.  The race is at the end of July but i'm not sure if I have enough of a base to complete the race..  This would be my first Olympic distance and 3rd tri overall (2nd end of this month, and 3rd middle of June both sprints).  I've recently just started running a 10k distance and I've never swam an Olympic distance without stopping..  Bike wise I would have lots of work too.  If I don't do the race this year, my goal is to do it next yr though  I'm worried that work wise once things pick-up within the yr i would not have the same amount of time to train as I do now (typically my line of work it's not uncommon to work on avg 80 hrs a wk or more).

2009-05-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2146301

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
trying1 - 2009-05-12 2:28 PM

Need everyone's opinion..  Should I buy an entry into the NYC triathlon?  It's expensive (i would have to buy $300 of gear from a local store (proceeds donated to charity) and $225 entry fee.  I have to decide soon because i think they only have 1 or 2 spots left for sale.  The race is at the end of July but i'm not sure if I have enough of a base to complete the race..  This would be my first Olympic distance and 3rd tri overall (2nd end of this month, and 3rd middle of June both sprints).  I've recently just started running a 10k distance and I've never swam an Olympic distance without stopping..  Bike wise I would have lots of work too.  If I don't do the race this year, my goal is to do it next yr though  I'm worried that work wise once things pick-up within the yr i would not have the same amount of time to train as I do now (typically my line of work it's not uncommon to work on avg 80 hrs a wk or more).

Is that the one where they swim in the Hudson?  Heard some nasty stuff about the swim last year.  Artemis a friend of mine here did it and she got stung by a ton of jellyfish, there was also talk of someone swimming through a dirty diaper...
2009-05-12 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-05-12 1:28 PM

I agree with Tony, I would check out the details on the swim beforehand.  I usually decide to participate based on the water venue.  I bypassed two easier course HIMs because I did not want to swim in Lake Michigan.

If you want to do an Olympic is there a cheaper one to select?  I've never swam an Olympic distance either, but I signed for a HIM so I wouldn't let that hold you back if you are ok in OWS.
2009-05-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2146312

User image

Extreme Veteran
dalessit - 2009-05-12 2:31 PM

Is that the one where they swim in the Hudson?  Heard some nasty stuff about the swim last year.  Artemis a friend of mine here did it and she got stung by a ton of jellyfish, there was also talk of someone swimming through a dirty diaper...

uhm yeah that's the one..  last year was a weird yr..  my friend has raced it for the last 5 yrs and he said that last year was the first time they experienced a jellyfish problem.  
2009-05-12 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

trying1 - 2009-05-12 1:28 PM

Personally, I would pick a different race that would both cheaper and later in the season.  I wouldn't want to have a bad race after laying out 5 bills....  After all, that costs more then either one of my bikes .  Find a race for $100 and invest the other $400 in upgrading equipment or coaching...  That is the conclusion I came to about TI training...

-Andy

2009-05-12 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2146287

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-05-12 1:21 PM   
tahrens - 2009-05-12 1:12 PM Just for you Suzy....

ROTFL  I guess I never thought of that Tracy!  I honestly felt silly putting on my pants w/o any und....well never mind!

The funny thing is when I was leading my marketing department at SC Johnson, I got the nickname "Little General" so I guess Commander (not not the "o") would be ok.

Bring it on!

How about "The Commandant"???  I think it incorporates both nicely...

-Andy

2009-05-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2146312

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-05-12 12:31 PM

I know I'm taking the easy joke here..But could you imagine swimming out to the buoy, you could totally draft off of Sully's plane!!

Stan that's a ton of cash for 1 Tri, as a Newb IMHO. Money could be well spend somewhere else. It's all relative though. If you can justify it , go for it. If you were planning on buying some new gear, then maybe the $225 isn't too bad.. You get a good loot bag?
2009-05-12 4:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Stan, I would have to agree with everyone here.  That is a lot of cheese to throw out, but the benefits.... You get some gear (if you need more?) and all that money goes to Charity, so that is a plus!  NYC Tri is also a pretty well known race, and would be a great experience, plus it's in your back yard (another bonus).  If money is no object... GO FOR IT!  Otherwise wait until maybe next year.

Suzy I am proud of you... Hopefully you are having a "great day"!  I always feel better going commando!

(ps-- Don't google images- "Going Commando" at work!!!)

Today was a strange day at the gym... I was really tired/sad/grumpy, etc... Didn't want to run, but ended up being a really good workout?!  Usually with a better attitude you have a better workout, but today at a reverse effect on me?!  That seemed odd!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-05-12 7:18 PM
2009-05-13 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2146856

User image

Champion
So again I was thinking while swimming (gives me something to do).

Would you guys be up for doing a virtual team sprint tri?

I was thinking if you guys were interested we could do some kind of random picking of 2 - 4 teams, each team does a 400M swim, 12Mi Bike and 5k.

Times across the team get avg'd and we have a winner.  What do you win?  The pure joy and bragging rights of beating everyone else.

Just thought it would be fun to get some race pace workouts in, and motivation would be whippin up on everyone else.

Thoughts?
2009-05-13 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2147590

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-05-13 6:58 AM So again I was thinking while swimming (gives me something to do).

I was thinking if you guys were interested we could do some kind of random picking of 2 - 4 teams, each team does a 400M swim, 12Mi Bike and 5k.

Times across the team get avg'd and we have a winner.  What do you win?  The pure joy and bragging rights of beating everyone else.

Just thought it would be fun to get some race pace workouts in, and motivation would be whippin up on everyone else.

Thoughts?

sounds cool.  i'm in!  can you rig the drawing so i'm on tracy's team?

2009-05-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2147637

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-13 6:24 AM
dalessit - 2009-05-13 6:58 AM So again I was thinking while swimming (gives me something to do).

Thoughts?

That'll be fun... I want Suzie on my team, and we can be the "COMANDO'S" Cool

To make it more complicated, we should submit estimated times first, then actual times and see where it goes. ie, Stevey-boy is going to run 5k a heck of a lot faster than me!

2009-05-13 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Thoughts?

I'm in.  However, I have mastered the challenge of being slow in three different sports!  I bet I could "anchor" the team from the swim 

-Andy

2009-05-13 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2147762

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-13 9:17 AM

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-13 6:24 AM

Thoughts?

That'll be fun... I want Suzie on my team, and we can be the "COMANDO'S" Cool

To make it more complicated, we should submit estimated times first, then actual times and see where it goes. ie, Stevey-boy is going to run 5k a heck of a lot faster than me!

LOL, I thought about saying you should submit your bike and run courses in mapmyrun.com first to make sure we were running and riding similar courses but seemed like too much work, just go find a flat uninterrupted location.

The randomness of teams should help even it out, and remember this is all just another excuse to go have a hard workout.
2009-05-13 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I'm in. Does everyone have a trainer?  We could require it to be treadmill runs and trainer rides. That would level the playing field.  Or they could use spin class or stationary bikes.  How many attempts do we get to achieve our PRs?   And thanks John, I'm flattered Kiss Or maybe you just like the idea of my throwing virtual elbows at Trevor.
2009-05-13 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Thoughts?

That sounds like fun.  I'm in.

So, I finally got an OWS in last Friday and wow, I knew it would be different than swimming in the pool but I guess I didn't realize how different.  I felt as awkward as I did my first day in the pool.  Swimming in the wet suit definitely takes some getting used to.  I felt a lot more winded.  But the hardest thing was swimming blind.  Couldn't see a thing in that water.  But now I know what to expect and I should hopefully be able to get in 1 more OWS before my race on Sunday.

2009-05-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2147914

User image

Expert
B'ham

HollyW - 2009-05-13 7:07 AM

Thoughts?

So, I finally got an OWS in last Friday and wow, I knew it would be different than swimming in the pool but I guess I didn't realize how different.  I felt as awkward as I did my first day in the pool.  Swimming in the wet suit definitely takes some getting used to.  I felt a lot more winded.  But the hardest thing was swimming blind.  Couldn't see a thing in that water.  But now I know what to expect and I should hopefully be able to get in 1 more OWS before my race on Sunday.

It's probably good that you couldn't see a thing - I might freak out if I saw things in the lake  

When I first donned the wetsuit, I really had to focus on steady, even breathing because it felt restrictive.  After a couple swims, you get used to it and it's not a big deal (or maybe I just stretched it out).  Also, being blind in the water really made me focus on nice, even strokes on both sides to keep going straight.  Sighting (is this the spelling we agreed upon??) is something you'll want to work on for race day, but being confident you're going relatively straight between sighting will help you relax in the water.

I'd be in for a vitual sprint - I'll be at a slight disadvantage because the roads around the lake I'll be swimming in are quite hilly.  Look at me, not even 8:00 in the morning yet and I'm already making excuses.

2009-05-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2148028

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
cadmus - 2009-05-13 9:44 AM

HollyW - 2009-05-13 7:07 AM

Thoughts?

It's probably good that you couldn't see a thing - I might freak out if I saw things in the lake  

That's funny.  That is exactly what I was thinking.  Smile
2009-05-13 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Holly when I first started swimming I found that if I opened my eyes I could see a lot better !!!  Just playing.  If you are swimming in murky dark water they have different goggles that actually help out a lot for that....

As for the "race" I would be interested, it may be fun, but keep in mind this is something that needs to be done over a span and what I mean by that is that some people are following a schedule for training, and I would hate for them to go out and blow up one day because of this little competition.  It will/would be fun but set it up over a 2 week span. 

As for flat vs. hilly I am with Matt on this one.  We live in a pretty hilly area, but I do have a conversion program that I can use that says if you ran 5 miles with 1000 feet of climbing at an average of 10 min. mile this equates to a 9:30 pace.... etc... So if you have a way to keep track of your elevation gain/loss then I can figure it out.... Spin class, or stationary bike... No way!  Treadmill---ok... Pool vs. Open water (wetsuit/non wetsuit?!).... I vote pool....

2009-05-13 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2147879

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
tahrens - 2009-05-13 8:58 AM I'm in. Does everyone have a trainer?  We could require it to be treadmill runs and trainer rides. That would level the playing field.  Or they could use spin class or stationary bikes.  How many attempts do we get to achieve our PRs?   And thanks John, I'm flattered Kiss Or maybe you just like the idea of my throwing virtual elbows at Trevor.

I could do pool/trainer/treamill or outside. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383