BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-01-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3291609

User image

Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Kerrdog79 - 2011-01-10 11:58 PM All giddy tomorrow registration opens for the Evergreen classic.  Signing up for my first Oly

Is that the Evergreen Lake Olympic in Illinois? If so, I ran it last year and it's a great race. The bike course was especially fun. Are you signed up yet? 

2011-01-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3291906

User image

TrevorC - 2011-01-11 9:05 AM 1 night of swim class and I 've learned that I kick too much from the knee. Need to kick more from the hips.

I went to bed 8 hours ago. and have been up for 2 already. Going to be hard to get used to these classes.

Sounds like a good first class. Did the coach give you any drills for working on that? 
2011-01-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I am ignorantly choosing to pretend I never saw the last couple pages because I hear so much about engineering and numbers when Ryan gets home from work every day.  I'm not good with data/numbers/technological stuff.  I'm not in law school because I was good at calculus, that's for sure!

I was hoping to get in a swim tonight, buuuut I'm still sick.  And swimming while hacking up a lung just does not appeal to me, believe it or not!  Ryan and I talked about taking those swim classes that some people had recommended, but after much discussion (and him persuading me that I can do it on my own...eek), we decided that it's free to just download a plan and figure it out for ourselves, so that's what we're going to do.  I used to be a swimmer, so it shouldn't be TOO hard, but I haven't been a serious swimmer for about 10 years, so now I just always feel like I'm drowning since I can't breathe when I want.  This is something I'll have to get over!  And we're buying wetsuits soon with our coupons from the BT Survey!  $400 wetsuits for $150 each?  Sure, why not!  What else do we have to spend our Christmas money on, anyway?  This should make the idea of 1.2 miles much easier!

So far this season, we've planned:

May 15 - Green Bay half-marathon
July 17 - Door County half iron
October 2 - Lakefront marathon MAYBE???? (depending on a number of factors)

Would it be better to focus on the HIM all May-July, or do you guys think doing an Oly would help in June?  And I still want one for August, too.  I'm thinking about doing the Oshkosh sprint tri again to see how much better I do this year than last, just for fun.  Obviously the HIM is the "A" race for the season, though I'd still like to see how good I can do for the half-mary also! 

Happy Tuesday!(?)
2011-01-11 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3291906

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
TrevorC - 2011-01-11 8:05 AM 1 night of swim class and I 've learned that I kick too much from the knee. Need to kick more from the hips.

I went to bed 8 hours ago. and have been up for 2 already. Going to be hard to get used to these classes.

How did you figure out that you kicked too much from the knee?  Just from the coach's visual?  I'm wondering because I think I may have this problem, too!

Hope you're doing well today, despite the lack of sleep!
2011-01-11 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I posted the following in the last MG forum. It relates to the accuracy of GPS units. This does not relate to HR data, but GPS data. You CANNOT rely on it as being 100% accurate:

http://www.hamptonrockfest.com/hamptonhalf-GPS.html

Doug
2011-01-11 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
pulling out a chair, popping the popcorn.  Cool

2011-01-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3292108

User image

Champion
marietta
SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 10:07 AM I am ignorantly choosing to pretend I never saw the last couple pages because I hear so much about engineering and numbers when Ryan gets home from work every day.  I'm not good with data/numbers/technological stuff.  I'm not in law school because I was good at calculus, that's for sure!

I was hoping to get in a swim tonight, buuuut I'm still sick.  And swimming while hacking up a lung just does not appeal to me, believe it or not!  Ryan and I talked about taking those swim classes that some people had recommended, but after much discussion (and him persuading me that I can do it on my own...eek), we decided that it's free to just download a plan and figure it out for ourselves, so that's what we're going to do.  I used to be a swimmer, so it shouldn't be TOO hard, but I haven't been a serious swimmer for about 10 years, so now I just always feel like I'm drowning since I can't breathe when I want.  This is something I'll have to get over!  And we're buying wetsuits soon with our coupons from the BT Survey!  $400 wetsuits for $150 each?  Sure, why not!  What else do we have to spend our Christmas money on, anyway?  This should make the idea of 1.2 miles much easier!

Would it be better to focus on the HIM all May-July, or do you guys think doing an Oly would help in June?  And I still want one for August, too.  I'm thinking about doing the Oshkosh sprint tri again to see how much better I do this year than last, just for fun.  Obviously the HIM is the "A" race for the season, though I'd still like to see how good I can do for the half-mary also! 

Happy Tuesday!(?)

yeah an oly can be a great idea if its placed right.  i've scheduled them, i think most of have actually.  when in june?
2011-01-11 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3292249

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 9:59 AM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 10:07 AM I am ignorantly choosing to pretend I never saw the last couple pages because I hear so much about engineering and numbers when Ryan gets home from work every day.  I'm not good with data/numbers/technological stuff.  I'm not in law school because I was good at calculus, that's for sure!

Happy Tuesday!(?)

yeah an oly can be a great idea if its placed right.  i've scheduled them, i think most of have actually.  when in june?

http://www.elkhartlakemultisports.com/

It's June 11, so it gives me 4 weeks from the half-mary to get to the Oly, and then another 5 weeks until the HIM.  It just seems oddly placed to me, but I've been wanting to do the Elkhart Lake tri for a LONG time (used to vacation there every summer). 

What do you think?
2011-01-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3292225

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

velcromom - 2011-01-11 9:49 AM pulling out a chair, popping the popcorn.  Cool

Yep...  although I think I might have seen this movie show before...

2011-01-11 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3292272

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 10:07 AM

Happy Tuesday!(?)

It's June 11, so it gives me 4 weeks from the half-mary to get to the Oly, and then another 5 weeks until the HIM.  It just seems oddly placed to me, but I've been wanting to do the Elkhart Lake tri for a LONG time (used to vacation there every summer). 

What do you think?

Depends upon your approach to the Oly...  is it going to be a "race" or a "super bad-a training" day?  If its the later then I wouldn't see a problem as long as it doesn't completely destroy any of your final long bikes or runs...

2011-01-11 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3292285

User image

Master
ashort33 - 2011-01-11 8:12 AM

velcromom - 2011-01-11 9:49 AM pulling out a chair, popping the popcorn.  Cool

Yep...  although I think I might have seen this movie show before...

Ha.... I'm running to hide under the table. Major conflict-avoider here! Everyone play nicely, please!!!!!!!

2011-01-11 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hi guys remeber me. The elder statesman

Mike. Lots of good response on this and you have probabaly already dealt with your shin splints or medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS) but I'll throw in my $.02 worth because I can. This sometimes occurs with heel strike runners as the foot has a tendancy to slap forward onto the ground once the heel hits the pavement. An uncoordinated and energy-wasting action which is resisted by eccentric contractions of the dorsiflexors. Treatment for shin splints - rest, elevation, compression, easy stretching of the muscles, icing, and possibly taping - works fairly well at relieving symptoms but does a very poor job of keeping the injury from recurring. if you want to prevent shin splints, your dorsiflexors must actually be stronger while you are running. That is they must not only control the forward and back motion but they must be able to handle the side to side motion which occurs in running.

Some exercises/stretches which should help are
1) Toes raises. Stand with your back to the wall.. feet about foot length
away from the wall. Raise your toes towards the shin.. hold a moment and slowly lower back to the ground.
Repeat 8 - 15 times. Work up to 3 X 15 reps.
2) one I really like Heel Step Downs. Begin standing with your feet about shoulder-width apart, then step forward
 with one foot. The length of the step should be moderate - as though walking in your normal manner. When your
heel makes contact with the ground, stop the foot from fully plantar flexing,  use your shin muscles to keep the
sole of the foot from making contact with the ground. After heel contact, the ball of your foot should descend no
more than an inch toward the floor or ground; your foot is held in check by the eccentric contractions of your
dorsiflexors (shin muscles). Return your foot to the starting position (back by the other foot), and repeat this
basic stepping action a total of 15 times. Remember to work both legs.
3) let toes hang over steps and raise them.
4) stretch: Step forward and let the toes of your back foot drag. THis will stretch out the Tibialis Anterior
Another very easy one is to walk on your heels for about 20 meters. Sorry I don't do conversions
If yo want to know mnore you can PM me.

Andre: IF your legs are hruting after your long runs you may be trying to go too far without enough preperation.
You need to be running these kinds of distance a lot to be able to race them without pain. Also it is not good
for your body to just go out and run them. Too much stress all at once. Moderation is the key to all your training.

Concern for me in 2011 is keeping healty. I have had a lot of small fitness issues towards the end of 2010 like
my current back pain.
OK I give up and have jumped to the last 3 pages and caught up with that. If there was anythign really important
you can let me know K?

Chris the RPE thing is pretty easy to get down. Just PM me if you want an explantion of it.

2011-01-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3291885

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 8:55 AM
Anne! - 2011-01-11 7:03 AM

He he... that's okay.  I'm just saying that the data can be "real enough."  How can anyone argue with that?  Real enough for me might not be real enough for you... but if I want some numbers, I can get numbers.  If I really want to, I can even assign meaning to them.

how can anyone argue with that?  well,  that's a easy argument to make with a single minded approach.  maybe a more holisitic approach would provide a more robust data set, as i suggested in the earlier post about not assuming things.  a garmin isn't going to tell you how your legs feels, if you need to eat, etc...

Hey John apparantly you are not inputting the correct data into your Garmin if your not getting that info.

2011-01-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3292079

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gotta run - 2011-01-11 7:59 AM
TrevorC - 2011-01-11 9:05 AM 1 night of swim class and I 've learned that I kick too much from the knee. Need to kick more from the hips.

Sounds like a good first class. Did the coach give you any drills for working on that? 

Yes. She said learn to kick more from the hips!! Ha! Actually one thing she said was using myzommers on my kick sets will teach my legs better. If I only kick with ankles/knees, my legs will start to tire quickly.
2011-01-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3292007

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I'll let you and John agree to disagree.
But, from reading your post here, I think what you are doing IS you listening to your body. This is what YOUR body is telling YOU.
Edit: there are quite a few of us around here who have lost sig. amounts of weight as well. Our health and lifestyles have changed quite considerably in the last few years as well.

Gotta agree with you Trevor. Agrre to disagree. Whenever you have a medical condition you need additional info. After an adjustment period doing a new activity your body will HELP gauge your overall condition.

Edited by Redknight 2011-01-11 10:23 AM
2011-01-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3292313

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2011-01-11 10:21 AM
gotta run - 2011-01-11 7:59 AM

Yes. She said learn to kick more from the hips!! Ha! Actually one thing she said was using myzommers on my kick sets will teach my legs better. If I only kick with ankles/knees, my legs will start to tire quickly.

When I am focused on a kick set, I try to imagine myself inside (at the center) one of those spring kid tunnels (see attached if they don't have those up in Canada, eh).  I try to make sure that my kick does not go outside the tunnel.  The only way I have found to do that and get any propulsion (no zoomers for me) is to kick more from the hips...

(tunnel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tunnel.jpg (33KB - 16 downloads)

2011-01-11 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3292272

User image

Champion
marietta
SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 11:07 AM

Happy Tuesday!(?)

What do you think?

i like it and would do it.  just keep in mind that you have to get back at a bit quicker than you might normally have to after a race.  not a big deal but something to keep in mind.  also, as andy points out you might want to go at more of a HIM pace, but that's a lot easier said than done once the gun goes off.  looks good! 

also think its a really cool idea to get Oshkosh in again, as you mentioned,  it would be an pretty cool guage of progress.  they should give away overalls at that race!
2011-01-11 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3292115

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 10:09 AM
TrevorC - 2011-01-11 8:05 AM 1 night of swim class and I 've learned that I kick too much from the knee. Need to kick more from the hips.

How did you figure out that you kicked too much from the knee?  Just from the coach's visual?  I'm wondering because I think I may have this problem, too!

Hope you're doing well today, despite the lack of sleep!

Generally you can see this when watching someone else. You should only be bending you knee slightly when kicking. Most of the action should be coming from the hip. That way you are using your whole leg to develop power. (using the large upper leg muscles instead of using only the lower smaller leg muscles.)

2011-01-11 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3292306

User image

Champion
marietta
Redknight - 2011-01-11 11:18 AM

He he... that's okay.  I'm just saying that the data can be "real enough."  How can anyone argue with that?  Real enough for me might not be real enough for you... but if I want some numbers, I can get numbers.  If I really want to, I can even assign meaning to them.

how can anyone argue with that?  well,  that's a easy argument to make with a single minded approach.  maybe a more holisitic approach would provide a more robust data set, as i suggested in the earlier post about not assuming things.  a garmin isn't going to tell you how your legs feels, if you need to eat, etc...

Hey John apparantly you are not inputting the correct data into your Garmin if your not getting that info.

i agree to disagree with canadian version, apparantly. 
2011-01-11 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

OK that filled up my morning pretty much so now its back to building a business. I'll be back a little more often than once a month now.

2011-01-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3292329

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 11:29 AM

That's Ok John you can be right if you have to be. We Canadians will just smirk and know you are incorrect.

2011-01-11 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3292335

User image

Champion
marietta
Redknight - 2011-01-11 11:31 AM

That's Ok John you can be right if you have to be. We Canadians will just smirk and know you are incorrect.

haha.  awesome.  

how many americans does it take to screw in a light bulb! 
2011-01-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3292342

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 9:34 AM

haha.  awesome.  

25? 1 to actually do the job,  10 more to talk about how great their choice of light bulb is, another 10 to fire up the BBQ and get the fire works ready to celebrate the lightbulb getting screwed in, and 4 more people to paint the flag on everyone's face?

Edited by TrevorC 2011-01-11 10:50 AM
2011-01-11 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3292391

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2011-01-11 10:50 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 9:34 AM

haha.  awesome.  

25? 1 to actually do the job,  10 more to talk about how great their choice of light bulb is, another 10 to fire up the BBQ and get the fire works ready to celebrate the lightbulb getting screwed in, and 4 more people to paint the flag on everyone's face?

0 - we outsourced that $hi-t years ago... 

2011-01-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3291911

User image

Chatham Ontario
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 8:06 AM
Techdiver - 2011-01-11 8:43 AM

So I would just appreciate people that have some constructive information to chime in. Most of this info above is NOT for debate, unless you have the same background as I do, or good medical knowledge of it. If so have it.

i don't care what your background is, no matter how many times you spew off LOOK AT ME I"M AN ENGINEER.  all that tells me is we're probably gonna have to slow things down and explain them really carefully for you.  i can sit here all day long and fill ya'll in on the *impressive* classes i took in grad school or teach, but why? 

as far as the constructive information part,  do you have any knowledge of my medical history, my past issues? nope not after a 5k,  just after 13 miles on the back end of a HIM.  you spout off some completely ignorant comments.  and in case you missed it, this is the internet there spanks, sorry if you think people should only reply with what YOU want to hear. 

good to have you here as part of the group.  stick around for a while and you might learn something.

My appologies if I offended you. This is a mentor group Right? my first time in one, I asked some questions hoping to get some answers regarding myself. My point about my background is I am data driven. I don't care about my backgroud, its not something to be proud of its just a carreer and I was making light of it and made a joke, posted a funny youtube video and all. Don't take it to heart man. GEEZUS I even made fun of me.

Second I didn't ask you about your medical background/history because it was not important to me and my lifestyle or my training. I am not sure why you brought this up, how does your Health or background directly relate to me. I asked if anyone could look at my data and provide me with answers. Some people did that very well and I appreciate it.

Unfortunately your "Just go freaking run" was not the help I was looking for. If I wanted that I would have just asked my wife to look at my data and she would have said the same thing as you because she doesn't even understand what half of that means. If I wanted that for an answer I would have stayed home and not joined my first MG. If this MG can not provide that ability for me then maybe it is time for me to leave it. I am here looking for Mentoring and Guidance, I was hoping that is why these groups were created. If I am too demanding I would be more then happy to find another.

As I said it didn't work for me. That's fine, I can appreciate I am a newbie and I need to "Stick around and learn something"

I am not new to the internet nor the spouting off, its all good. I don't take it personal in any way. Hey I took your bite hook line and sinker.

I am just providing information and background for people to formulate information from. Maybe I was too detailed. Maybe I pushed the point I am data driven, my appologies. Much like you its the internet, if you think I am ignorant, skip over my post and move on, you don't have to read it.

But I did stress my health issues have showed me not to rely on just my feeling of my body alone as you suggested. That's all. Nothing too complicated or ignorate about that. I am not trying to be ignorate, I am not spouting off. I am sorry that HRM are not REAL data in your opinion or maybe everyone's opinion and and I am just the silly sucker buying them and keeping every company in business based on my purchases alone.

But it is a Tool I choose to use. Much like taking a glucose reading, If I didn't trust it either what else could I do. Every measurement device has some level of error, but as long as it is consistant it is real data to me, even if it off by 10%.

I do plan on sticking around and I do plan on learning, Something I have never stopped doing. And feel free to always chime in on anything I say. I have broad shoulders and your not going to make me cry very easy.

And I can't believe that this somehow started an American Canadian Debate But hey I am here to keep the ball rolling as a source of entertainment.

I am even making and over sized batch of popcorn for everyone to join us.

Lets just move on.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-01-11 11:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171