BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-03-14 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1271415

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
Fielding - 2008-03-14 3:13 AM
rreischl - 2008-03-13 11:16 PM

I saw you all talking about clothes up above - I have NOTHING resembling anything I'll need for a tri . . . I just wear cotton shorts / tshirts for now . . . Is there some minimum types of clothes I should buy? What do people wear under their wetsuits? It looks like a tri-suit?? Those don't look like anything I want to wear in public Can I put something over it that isn't skin tight, or does everyone wear those? Is that what the "tech shirt" is for? What about shorts over the tri-suit? I'm also hoping to rent a wetsuit from a local university here, do I have a reasonable chance of having that work out? If not, I should probably look for one of those too. But with still trying to lose weight, I'm afraid next year it may not fit?

Boy do I have a lot of questions, and I'm just getting started! Sorry!

Well I'm running on empty tonight . . . really need to get some sleep tonight, it hasn't been a good week for it so far . . . Have a great night all!

Renee

Have a great time bike shopping, Renee! It's intimidating buying a bike, but once you're committed to the process I think it's actually a lot of fun. Sounds like you're in for a long but (hopefully!) very productive weekend. Re: clothes. Keeping in mind that I'm obviously no expert (ha!), I don't think a trisuit is necessary at all, but I'd definitely recommend some tri shorts. You might not like the way you look in them, but trust me, you won't care at all on race day, and they are so so so much better than cotton shorts -- they'll dry out quickly after the swim, they have a little bit of padding for the bike, and I've never had any chafing problems in them from running. I'd wear them all the time, but I only have two pairs (and honestly, I'm the type of person who never in a million years thought I'd be caught dead in public in those kinds of shorts). Anyway, you just wear those under the wetsuit and keep them on all through the race. If you're really, really not comfortable wearing them in public, then sure, you can put some shorts on in T1. As for the top, I just wore a sports bra under my wetsuit and then put on a tech shirt in T1. I'd definitely recommend you start stocking up on tech clothes (or at least shirts). They are so much more comfortable than cotton, especially when it's hot out, and again, they dry super fast so it's not a problem on race day. You can get lots of tech gear very cheap at Target (look for the C9 brand) or just looking for sales online. Of course, Yanti's the expert on cheap clothes, so I'm sure she'll have some great advice. Re: the wetsuit. I rented a wetsuit last year for a pre-race open water swim, and then decided I'd actually save money buying it. A lot of places will let you rent a wetsuit and then put some of the rental fee toward the purchase of it. Since I wasn't sure what kind of investment I wanted to make in triathlons at the time, that seemed like the smartest option for me (I've already worn the wetsuit enough that it was worth it to buy rather than rent). I also figure that I'm so slow, quality doesn't matter much -- mine keeps me warm and it fits fine, so no complaints from me. Since you're going to be doing several races this year, it might make more sense for you to buy a used or cheap wetsuit rather than renting one over and over again. That'd be my advice, to compare rental and purchase prices and see if you'd actually save money buying.

Erin, thank you soooo much for all of your info!!  This is exactly what I needed for advice on clothes!  I hate the unknown   As for the wetsuit, the university was cheap, I'm thinking $5 / day maybe to rent them?  Who knows if they have many sizes to try though - I'll give them a call in a bit and see what I can find out.  Quality sure won't matter to me either, HA!

Renee

2008-03-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1088776

Regular
I back and I survived!!!  I think my time was around 1:33.  My goal was 1:40, so I'm pleased.  I ran the whole 5K, which I've never done, so that was good news.  I have learned that I suck on the bike.  I 78 year old passed me during that leg....oh well.  I'll come back and post when I get my times.
2008-03-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1273638

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

ldatug - 2008-03-15 11:19 AM I back and I survived!!!  I think my time was around 1:33.  My goal was 1:40, so I'm pleased.  I ran the whole 5K, which I've never done, so that was good news.  I have learned that I suck on the bike.  I 78 year old passed me during that leg....oh well.  I'll come back and post when I get my times.

Excellent!!! That is a great time!!  I am (we all are) looking forward to the race report! Let us know when it's posted!  Woo hoo!

2008-03-15 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Awesome you are all posting such good race reports I am worried what my time will be for my race!!!
2008-03-15 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ldatug - 2008-03-15 11:19 AM

I back and I survived!!! I think my time was around 1:33. My goal was 1:40, so I'm pleased. I ran the whole 5K, which I've never done, so that was good news. I have learned that I suck on the bike. I 78 year old passed me during that leg....oh well. I'll come back and post when I get my times.

Congratulations, triathlete! You did great (time-wise, and for just surviving), and nice job beating your own goal. I can hardly wait to hear all about it!
2008-03-15 3:40 PM

User image

Melon Presser

ldatug - 2008-03-15 12:19 PM I back and I survived!!! I think my time was around 1:33. My goal was 1:40, so I'm pleased. I ran the whole 5K, which I've never done, so that was good news. I have learned that I suck on the bike. I 78 year old passed me during that leg....oh well. I'll come back and post when I get my times.

You are absolutely fantastic! Oh, and you don't suck on the bike at all. Bike performance is (initially) really just a function of bike training volume--give 'em legs a few more months of the spins and you'll run the geriatrics off the road ... you'll feel much smoother and speedier on the bike.

Looking forward to the race report! 

(bikechain.congrats.gif)

Attachments
----------------
bikechain.congrats.gif (51KB - 18 downloads)

2008-03-15 9:07 PM

Regular

Thanks guys!

Here are my details:

Swim: 11m35s (included the run to transition - course was 500 meters): 90/157

Bike: 48m30s (13 mile course): 145/157    THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Run:  29m19s (5K):  103/157  This is good for me considering where I started.

Overall: 1h32m26s ; 126/157 (not happy with this, but I can deal)

Novice Female:  16/30  

I am pleased overall, but I am VERY disappointed in my bike time.  That is horrible.  I really did not push myself enough.  I will do better next time.  I'm so glad it's over and I'm thrilled that I met all of my goals.

2008-03-16 2:27 AM
in reply to: #1274109

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ldatug - 2008-03-15 7:07 PM

Thanks guys!

Here are my details:

Bike: 48m30s (13 mile course): 145/157 THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Run: 29m19s (5K): 103/157 This is good for me considering where I started.

Novice Female: 16/30

I am pleased overall, but I am VERY disappointed in my bike time. That is horrible. I really did not push myself enough. I will do better next time. I'm so glad it's over and I'm thrilled that I met all of my goals.

You did great, Laura! Your swim and run were fantastic, and so the bike wasn't fabulous -- you still did it! You're still a triathlete! (Seriously, I know how you feel, not having done as well as you liked. Don't get down on yourself. It was your first race and you *finished* and you were awesome. That's a lot to be proud of!)

2008-03-17 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1274109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
ldatug - 2008-03-15 9:07 PM

Thanks guys!

Here are my details:

Bike: 48m30s (13 mile course): 145/157    THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Run:  29m19s (5K):  103/157  This is good for me considering where I started.

Novice Female:  16/30  

I am pleased overall, but I am VERY disappointed in my bike time.  That is horrible.  I really did not push myself enough.  I will do better next time.  I'm so glad it's over and I'm thrilled that I met all of my goals.

Laura, AWESOME job!!!  Sooo happy to hear you met all of your goals, what a great feeling!!  You have come SO far with your running, how exciting is that?!!  As for the bike, you will only improve from here.  Don't be so tough on yourself, this was your first tri, right?  You did GREAT!!

2008-03-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1275549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey you all, I am back from a SUPER LONG weekend on the road!  I left home Sat at 7:15pm – got to St. Cloud at 3am and checked into a room!  Met a friend at 7:30am and headed to her gym for a workout.  Got my swim in and some weights (it was supposed to be a 4 hour bike day – impossible!)  After our workout we grabbed a quick lunch and headed to the bike store.  Spent all afternoon there.  They were a TOP NOTCH place!  They put me on a trainer and made all the adjustments to the bike to make it right for me.  By the time they were done adjusting, to see if I liked the bike, it was fully fit to me.  Then we moved onto the next bike . . . They video’d me on the different bikes and pointed things out.  Three of them stayed nearly an hour after close time helping me get finished up.  Very professional people working there with tons of experience!  I don’t think I could have gotten anything close to this type of help locally. 

The best part . . . I have a bike now   I ended up getting it as part of a package – all together in the package I got the 2007 QR Kilo tri bike, a QR Ultrajohn wetsuit, Speedplay X-5 pedals, a Bell Furio helmet, a Trek Incite 8i computer, and two Bontrager composite bottle cages.  (Well only 1, cuz the bike only takes 1)  The wetsuit is a different style than the one listed above as part of the package – the one I got has sleeves – YAY!  Even though they said no substitutions, they found one that was last year’s model with sleeves for me to try and it worked.  OMG I didn’t take it off right and got stuck for like 10 minutes in it   My friend was laughing her butt off at me LOL!  Ohhhh boy do I need to work on that transition . . . I can just see me, after EVERYONE else has left the transition area, struggling with a stupid wetsuit! 

I’m feeling very good with my purchase.  My only mistake . . . I didn’t buy a trainer!!  May need to reconsider as I only have a month the prepare for my first tri and it is yucky out again . . .

So last night I got back on the road at around 6pm, home around 1am . . .  So, after 900 miles and a LONG weekend with no sleep I have a bike   AND a wetsuit!  Oh ya, bought shoes too, wanted to be able to ride the thing LOL!  Now I just need clothes.

Ok, so here’s a pic and the specs on the bike:

I don't know how to post the pic???  Oh well, the specs seem to be working . . .

Spec Name
Quintana Roo Kilo
Frame
AN-6 aero aluminum
Fork
Real Design Aero Carbon
Rims/Wheels
Alex 220
Hubs
See Rims/Wheels
Spokes
See Rims/Wheels
Tires
Continental Ultra Race
Crankset
FSA Gossamer
Front Derailleur
Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Dura-Ace
Rear Cogs
Shimano 105 10-speed
Shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace
Handlebars
Aluminum w/Vison clip-on
Stem
Aluminum
Brake Levers
Dia Compe
Brakes
Tektro dual-pivot
Saddle
Quintana Roo
Seat Post
Real Design Aluminum Aero

Well, I really am supposed to be working!  Just wanted to share my good news!!

TTYL!
Renee

Edited by rreischl 2008-03-17 9:35 AM
2008-03-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1275618

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
rreischl - 2008-03-17 7:17 AM

The best part . . . I have a bike now I ended up getting it as part of a package – all together in the package I got the 2007 QR Kilo tri bike, a QR Ultrajohn wetsuit, Speedplay X-5 pedals, a Bell Furio helmet, a Trek Incite 8i computer, and two Bontrager composite bottle cages. (Well only 1, cuz the bike only takes 1)

WOW! Congratulations, Renee! You rocked that bike shop (I really wish I had a place that awesome near me...). I know nothing about bikes, but I did Google yours and it looks very fast! You're going to have such a great time on it. And a wetsuit too! Go you!

Speaking of bikes, I have a question. I got kind of lazy about scheduling my bike fit/making an appointment to get set up clipless, and now I can't get in until next Monday. The problem is that that's only two weeks before my oly. Is that too close to race day to mess around with a new bike setup? I'd really been hoping to get in this week (in my defense, when I asked the guys at the bike shop about fittings a few weeks ago, they said it's perfectly fine to call the day before and make an appointment -- I didn't expect them to fill up!). I might try calling some other bike shops to see if I can get a fitting there, but I really like this shop and trust them to do a good job.

2008-03-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1276699

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Fielding - 2008-03-17 1:14 PM
rreischl - 2008-03-17 7:17 AM

The best part . . . I have a bike now I ended up getting it as part of a package – all together in the package I got the 2007 QR Kilo tri bike, a QR Ultrajohn wetsuit, Speedplay X-5 pedals, a Bell Furio helmet, a Trek Incite 8i computer, and two Bontrager composite bottle cages. (Well only 1, cuz the bike only takes 1)

WOW! Congratulations, Renee! You rocked that bike shop (I really wish I had a place that awesome near me...). I know nothing about bikes, but I did Google yours and it looks very fast! You're going to have such a great time on it. And a wetsuit too! Go you! Speaking of bikes, I have a question. I got kind of lazy about scheduling my bike fit/making an appointment to get set up clipless, and now I can't get in until next Monday. The problem is that that's only two weeks before my oly. Is that too close to race day to mess around with a new bike setup? I'd really been hoping to get in this week (in my defense, when I asked the guys at the bike shop about fittings a few weeks ago, they said it's perfectly fine to call the day before and make an appointment -- I didn't expect them to fill up!). I might try calling some other bike shops to see if I can get a fitting there, but I really like this shop and trust them to do a good job.

Congrats on the bike, Renee!  It sounds NIIIIICE! Let us know how it rides!

Erin, I think it's ok to get the pedals swapped out as long as you practice frequently before the Oly.  I don't know about the bike fitting so close, but it seems to me that if they adjust things so that you are more comfortable and more efficient it is a win-win situation.  My two cents!

Yanti, I read elsewhere on here that you got a puppy....very cute.  Congrats to you on that, as well.

Now, I am going to go ride the trainer for a bit.  Enough freakin' excuses.

2008-03-17 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I decided to make an appointment for Wednesday at a different bike shop. I want to give myself time to get used to clipless, and I'd worked out my training schedule this week to spread out my biking, so I could do several short rides rather than my usual two long ones.

I'm starting to fear that I may have over-extended myself with my oly training plan. I opted for the somewhat aggressive 3x-per-week plan, mostly because two times a week of swimming and running didn't seem like nearly enough. But that third day of biking has been really hard to manage, and now I'm feeling overall sluggish and tired and cranky and *really* unmotivated. I'm also not improving -- I'm actually running and biking slower now than I was two or three months ago (although my swimming is definitely getting better). I'm sure I'll be fine on race day, but the sprint opened my eyes -- I really should not have done as badly as I did. I've decided to knock out one of my weekly bikes and I feel good about that decision. I just don't want to feel awful on race day.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to being done with this oly. I'm getting tired of the formal training plan. I intend to just have a lot of fun at my sprint in May (and I don't intend to train for it, just run and bike and swim at my leisure). And I'm really looking forward to my half marathon in July!

Anyway, just felt like venting a little. Now I'm off for a long(ish) run! Hope everyone's off to a great start this week.

2008-03-17 8:48 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Holy Buckets!

it's been way too long since I've been here - life is just a bit crazy trying to balance between being in NE and PA

looks like everyone is doing well

I am back among the living - that was a nasty flu

2008-03-17 8:48 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ummm Yanti - we're getting pretty Wide - is it time to start a new thread?

2008-03-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1277355

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fielding - 2008-03-17 6:19 PM I decided to make an appointment for Wednesday at a different bike shop. I want to give myself time to get used to clipless, and I'd worked out my training schedule this week to spread out my biking, so I could do several short rides rather than my usual two long ones. I'm starting to fear that I may have over-extended myself with my oly training plan. I opted for the somewhat aggressive 3x-per-week plan, mostly because two times a week of swimming and running didn't seem like nearly enough. But that third day of biking has been really hard to manage, and now I'm feeling overall sluggish and tired and cranky and *really* unmotivated. I'm also not improving -- I'm actually running and biking slower now than I was two or three months ago (although my swimming is definitely getting better). I'm sure I'll be fine on race day, but the sprint opened my eyes -- I really should not have done as badly as I did. I've decided to knock out one of my weekly bikes and I feel good about that decision. I just don't want to feel awful on race day. Honestly, I'm looking forward to being done with this oly. I'm getting tired of the formal training plan. I intend to just have a lot of fun at my sprint in May (and I don't intend to train for it, just run and bike and swim at my leisure). And I'm really looking forward to my half marathon in July! Anyway, just felt like venting a little. Now I'm off for a long(ish) run! Hope everyone's off to a great start this week.

I agree, the 3x Oly plan is a lot of time! I am doing the 2x Oly plan and sometimes I can't get enough time for that, mostly the bike....but I do feel that I will be prepared when race day get here--I can do each individual distance, which is getting easier by the week--and there's still ten weeks of formal training to go.  I think it's wise to reduce your workload if that keeps you motivated and feeling positive about doing this!  If it becomes a burden, then all the joy we get from this sport goes away.  And that's just silly!

Beth, nice to see you in the land of the living again!

2008-03-17 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1277482

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-17 9:30 PM

Beth, nice to see you in the land of the living again!

it's good to be here! 

2008-03-18 2:15 AM
in reply to: #1277482

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Welcome back, Beth! It's great to see you up and around again.

Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-17 7:30 PM

I agree, the 3x Oly plan is a lot of time! I am doing the 2x Oly plan and sometimes I can't get enough time for that, mostly the bike....but I do feel that I will be prepared when race day get here--I can do each individual distance, which is getting easier by the week--and there's still ten weeks of formal training to go.

Yes, it's the third bike that is killer! Actually, even the two bikes are tough to fit in because I really can only do them on weekends, so that means back-to-back long rides every weekend. I'm so f-ing tired of two-plus-hour bike rides. (For my birthday, a friend of mine gave me a totally cute T-shirt that says "I want to ride my bicycle." I wore it to bed Saturday night, and when I woke up and remembered I had a two-hour bike scheduled, I said out loud, "I DO NOT want to ride my bicycle." And so I went back to sleep.)

I don't regret choosing the 3x week plan. I definitely needed three times a week of swimming, and I like running, so I don't really mind that. But the bike, man. Hate. I should've dropped that third bike right from the start.

Edited by Fielding 2008-03-18 2:38 AM
2008-03-18 6:47 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I'm just going to be starting my Oly plan and I'm a bit concerned about being able to fit it all in with my crazy schedule - plus I'm having some real motivation issues since I got sick

I have never seen so many blanks in my training log - somehow I need to get my mojo back 

2008-03-18 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I hear you Beth! I'm changing careers/work locations right now and am trying to just deal with life in general and not stress over the fact I haven't been to the gym in what feels like forever. Right now my focus is on that plus the CA ironman in 2 weeks. I'm volunteering for 3 different days and if my heel withstands it, I'm going to "walk" the Carlsbad 5000 the next week. That will let me know how "fit" I am, plus I'll have started my new job and can get my act together training wise. I might now make my first tri in early May like I had hoped, but I am a member of our tri club and they have monthly races. DH thinks I should make a club race my first race. I'm going to talk to the beginner coach about it this week if she's at our club meeting. I cannot believe how awful my body feels not doing anything. Shouldn't I hurt more when I DO work out? LOL
2008-03-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1278225

User image

Melon Presser

MrsUSMC - 2008-03-18 11:35 AM I hear you Beth! I'm changing careers/work locations right now and am trying to just deal with life in general and not stress over the fact I haven't been to the gym in what feels like forever. Right now my focus is on that plus the CA ironman in 2 weeks. I'm volunteering for 3 different days and if my heel withstands it, I'm going to "walk" the Carlsbad 5000 the next week. That will let me know how "fit" I am, plus I'll have started my new job and can get my act together training wise. I might now make my first tri in early May like I had hoped, but I am a member of our tri club and they have monthly races. DH thinks I should make a club race my first race. I'm going to talk to the beginner coach about it this week if she's at our club meeting. I cannot believe how awful my body feels not doing anything. Shouldn't I hurt more when I DO work out? LOL

No. You should feel somewhere between refreshed and pleasantly tired.

Terri ... you're doing great. Yeah, it sucks to not progress as you'd like, but think about how much you have going on. Yes, a little aerobic exercise would help, but there's a difficult line (shoot, more like a web!) between life stress/changes, ramping up too quickly on a tri plan, being injured, weight loss, etc. etc. It is always best to err on the side of caution. And with your heel--whether it's straight up plantar fasciitis or something else, these can nag forever. It's really important to care for it well.

That said, walking C5000 sounds great if you're up to it! Don't push it--get out there and enjoy the event. You deserve it.

I am very excited you'll be at CA 70.3 ... where are you volunteering? There'll be a Friday BT meet-up, but otherwise ... it is soooo time we meet!

2008-03-18 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
LOL, nothing like being brought back down to earth by the Yanti

I'll be working registration Thurs and Fri from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. I'm working with Dan Hyte's group on Sat 4-9 a.m. I want to be at the finish line when DH crosses it Melissa's going to be there too.
2008-03-18 9:34 PM

Regular

Two things:

1.  I posted my race report for your viewing pleasure.

2.  I have a question:  Now that I've finished the 16 week program, what do I do now??  I am going to compete in sprints throughout the season and have a 10K planned for 7/4.  I don't know where to go from here.

2008-03-18 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
That is awesome. Reading all the race reports really makes me want my race to get here. The week of I am sure I will want it to be a month away. But I really can't wait!!

I had one of my events canceled this year and it was the one I was looking forward to the most!! The shortest swim with only 400m and the longest bike and run at 32 Km and 8 km and it was CANCELED I am bummed about that one.
2008-03-18 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
That sucks, Shawn! Do you know why they cancelled it? This wasn't the race you have coming up in a few weeks, was it?

Laura: loved the race report! As for your question on post-race training...heh, I have no idea. My educated guess would be that you pick your next "A" race and start a new training plan for that one. You can do other races before that race and treat them as long training sessions, but orient the plan for the one race. Anyway, that's advice from one newbie to another, so feel free to ignore! (My plan after my oly is to just do maintenance training until my next race in May, and then train for a half marathon in July, with a little bit of bike and swim thrown in for fun. After that, who knows.)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61