BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-07-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1552153

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

owl_girl - 2008-07-23 11:35 AM I got a Garmin Forerunner 305!  I used it for the first time during a run last night.  Now I need to figure out how to download the info from it!  What features do you guys like the best and the least?  Anything I should be aware of regarding usage?

I use the garmin for every ride and run.  It is actually very easy to get the information out of it.  There is the training center, which will automatically download your data, and there is an option in your training log to download from the garmin.  Its just very neat because it will load all the laps and everything else that you would normally enter by hand.

2008-07-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1552153

User image

Sensei
Sin City

owl_girl - 2008-07-23 8:35 AM I got a Garmin Forerunner 305!  I used it for the first time during a run last night.  Now I need to figure out how to download the info from it!  What features do you guys like the best and the least?  Anything I should be aware of regarding usage?

I like just about everything it does.  But recently REALLY fond of programming a workout on the computer, and then having it tell me what to do out on the run.  Best for interval training.....

2008-07-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Elite
far northern CA
OK.  I downloaded the info from the Garmin.  How have you guys done tests to determine your HR zones?  I think I need to do it again and get some more accurate info.  I've been thinking of going to the local University and getting a VO2 test done.  They do them for about $70 for community members.  Thoughts?
2008-07-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1551928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
dlswimmer - 2008-07-23 11:05 AM

Hello everyone.  I just wanted to come on and see how everyone is doing.  I had planned my working out for the entire week on sunday and I'm keeping up with it so far.  Its actually funny that my entire weeks plan is 390 minutes, and I've already in 2 days made it over half way.  This working out definitely helps me to get away from everything and makes sure I sleep soundly.

Hope everyone has a great day!

That's great to hear, do keep it up!

2008-07-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1553407

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a ghost lately.  I have checked-in a few times but didn't have time to finish a thought and get the message posted.  I was really sick last week (fever and all) and I'm still recovering.  I saw something in the Triathlete's Training Bible that said when you have a fever, it could take weeks to fully recover.  ugh!

I test-rode 3 bikes last weekend and I'm going to test-ride one more this weekend and buy one on Saturday. 

I tested the Cervelo P2C (Favorite so-far), the Specialized Transition Expert (2007 model, lots of great components, but the bike's not as nice as the carbon Cervelo), and a Tequillo (the dura ace components were sweet but the bike itself was again, not as nice as the Cervelo).  So far the geometry from the Cervelo works best and the bike is really great.

This weekend, I'm testing the Orbea Ora.  The one I'm testing has the Dura Ace Components (aka out of my price range) but I plan to get the cheaper and more comparable to the Cervelo Ultegra version if I go with that.  The shop that has the Orbea (had the other two bikes as well) is great and I wish they carried Cervelos.  But if I still think the Cervelo was better, that's what I'm sticking to.  The guy who owns the shop with the Cervelo knows his stuff and just bought-out the shop from the owner so I think he's going to give me a lot of personal attention.  We'll see.  Any comments from anyone?

Got a rough track workout tomorrow morning.  I love them, but they absolutely kill me.  Gotta run.  Actually ride home right now.  I think the weather is moving in.

2008-07-24 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1553613

User image

Expert
WA

Matt, the way I understand it Cervelo makes really really awesome bikes, ones that are tested endlessly in a wind tunnel.  They are considered leaders in aero design. They just make really solid, quality bikes.  Bikesport Michigan (a big awesome tri store) and its owner are real experts and they love the Cervelos, they say if it fits, it's a great bike to get.  If it doesn't fit, they like Felts pretty well too.

Here's their review.

However, lots of people don't get Cervelo because "everyone" else has one, and they want to be different.  I think the same people who don't like pop songs because they are pop, even if it is a catchy good song .   Obviously, there are tons of other reasons (like fit, or just liking the look of the bike), but I'm just saying people who are actively anti-Cervelo are usually just anti-popular stuff, not because they can find anything really wrong with the bike.

Anyway, Chrissie Wellington won Kona on a P2C in her first year doing it, it is an excellent bike.

My husband had a Cervelo for his ironman, and he LOVED it.  Engineering geek that he is, he really thinks their engineering and design is top notch.   

The Orbeas are pretty though.  I don't know as much about the bike itself.  I did read recently that going from 2006->2007 (or 2007->2008, i dont' remember), the Orbea bike improved in the wind tunnel by 7%.  This just told me that the previous year bike sucked.  But the latest ones are supposed to be pretty good, but I don't know how good..

But in my mind, if I were to ever get a tri bike, I'd look at Cervelo first, Felt 2nd and just hope one of those fit.  I don't think I'd get Specialized unless we were talking really high end, which I don't have the dough for anyway.  I'd consider QRoo if it fit better than everything else.

Good luck!  Shopping for a new bike is always fun! 

2008-07-24 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Good luck with that bike shopping... that has got to be fun!

Things are not looking too good right now, I'm going to see the doc on Monday, my knee is pretty bad off still Frown

2008-07-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1553613

User image

Elite
far northern CA
GomesBolt - 2008-07-23 2:16 PM

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a ghost lately.  I have checked-in a few times but didn't have time to finish a thought and get the message posted.  I was really sick last week (fever and all) and I'm still recovering.  I saw something in the Triathlete's Training Bible that said when you have a fever, it could take weeks to fully recover.  ugh!

I test-rode 3 bikes last weekend and I'm going to test-ride one more this weekend and buy one on Saturday. 

I tested the Cervelo P2C (Favorite so-far), the Specialized Transition Expert (2007 model, lots of great components, but the bike's not as nice as the carbon Cervelo), and a Tequillo (the dura ace components were sweet but the bike itself was again, not as nice as the Cervelo).  So far the geometry from the Cervelo works best and the bike is really great.

This weekend, I'm testing the Orbea Ora.  The one I'm testing has the Dura Ace Components (aka out of my price range) but I plan to get the cheaper and more comparable to the Cervelo Ultegra version if I go with that.  The shop that has the Orbea (had the other two bikes as well) is great and I wish they carried Cervelos.  But if I still think the Cervelo was better, that's what I'm sticking to.  The guy who owns the shop with the Cervelo knows his stuff and just bought-out the shop from the owner so I think he's going to give me a lot of personal attention.  We'll see.  Any comments from anyone?

Got a rough track workout tomorrow morning.  I love them, but they absolutely kill me.  Gotta run.  Actually ride home right now.  I think the weather is moving in.

It is so much fun to test out bikes!  You will know the bike when you get on it.  It's a "feel" thing.  I test rode Cervelo, QRoo, Kestrel, and Felt.  The Felt was far superior for my body.  It was also the only one that I tested that 650 wheels which might be part of it.  the Cervelo was very, very nice.  The QRoo and Kestrel just didn't feel right.  I know nothing about Orbea.  I can't stand Specialized!  (I do love my Specialized shoes, though!)  My husband has the Cervelo P2C and he LOVES it!  I ended up with the Felt B2.

Just remember that components can always be upgraded later.  It is better to get a good fit with the frame first.

There's my 2 cents!

2008-07-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1555504

User image

Elite
far northern CA
shiggy - 2008-07-24 8:47 AM

Things are not looking too good right now, I'm going to see the doc on Monday, my knee is pretty bad off still Frown

OH NO!  Are you able to cycle?

2008-07-24 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
shiggy - 2008-07-24 11:47 AM

oh no!! That really sucks  

2008-07-24 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
WA
shiggy - 2008-07-24 11:47 AM

yikes!  last time i looked at your logs it sounded like it was feeling ok and getting better. sorry to hear it!!!!  hope it heals up quickly. 

2008-07-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1555524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
owl_girl - 2008-07-24 11:52 AM

OH NO!  Are you able to cycle?

I think I can as long as I keep it somewhat short and ice afterwards. Thanks for all of your concern! I'll keep you posted if I find out what is going on with it, although unless I am able to get an MRI it may be hard for anyone to guess. 

There is an olympic tri I am signed up for a week from Sunday. I would skip it, but this one is the MERCS championship which means that everyone on my tri team that crosses the finish line brings in points for the team. Our pres. of the club really needs people to participate because its 9 hours away and it is tough for many to make it. So, for that reason, I am thinking about doing this race and walking the 10K. I just hope they don't close the course before I finish!

Edited by shiggy 2008-07-24 12:44 PM
2008-07-24 12:45 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Dang, that sucks....

I have a recurring ache/pain in my right knee too.  But it's pretty mild and it goes away quickly after a ride.  However, I really worry about the day when it might NOT go away so easily.

2008-07-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1555100

Champion
South Jersey
Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA, but I was without Internet for a week. I'm back in town and beginning to get back on BT more! I hope you're all doing great, and I'll catch up with you soon .
2008-07-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1556014

User image

Expert
WA
welcome back lauren, and congratulations on your race!!
2008-07-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1556014

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LaurenSU02 - 2008-07-24 10:46 AM Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA, but I was without Internet for a week. I'm back in town and beginning to get back on BT more! I hope you're all doing great, and I'll catch up with you soon .

Hah!  You have an excuse.  I'll let it slide this one time.

Welcome back!

2008-07-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1556032

User image

Sensei
Sin City
BTW - I'm going to be picking your brain on IM nutrition.  DOING the event doesn not worry me.  But not bonking due to nitrition is my biggest concern.  Good thing I have plenty of time to practice.  Been getting lots of tips from the Iron Distance forum...
2008-07-24 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Welcome back, Lauren!  You are an Iron Lady!  Congratulations on completing a tough race!
2008-07-24 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Welcome back Lauren!!  
2008-07-24 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1556149

User image

Hey guys! Three things:

-Bike

-Claire & Knees

-Lauren

Bike, I absolutely agree with you Lisa.  I think the Cervelo felt the best.  I just figured I'd give the shop owner at the shop I've been going to the respect of testing out just one more.  Euskatel Euskati ride Orbeas since they are from the Basque region of Spain in the pyrrinees (wow misspelled that one! actual spelling pyrenees).  They specialize in road bikes and focus on the smoothe ride even over cobblestones since most city streets in that area are old cobbles.  The company made rifles until the end of the Spanish Civil War.  The Orbea has gotten pretty good reviews, but unless I get on it and say "wow! this is the bike for me!" I think I will go with the Cervelo and the personal attention I'll get from the new shop owner who's desperately trying to make his purchase of the shop pay off.

Claire and Knees.  I tore my meniscus wrestling my senior year of high school so I know enough about menisci to discuss (you may say I know miniscule information).  If your knee is locking as you try to extend that's definitely a meniscal tear.  That's what I had and it sucked.  I couldn't extend my knee past about 130 degrees which is tough to deal with. 

Since my surgery during which they had to remove 1/2 of the total meniscus, I have wrestled Division 1, served 8 years in the Marine Corps (including hikes, obstacle courses, combat, etc), and now Triathlons and I have soreness every once in a while, but no significant debilitating pain.

My mom (a nurse) was waking me up every few hours after the surgery (most pain I've ever had in my life) and making me move my knee to prevent scar tissue from forming.  I hated her for it, but I was on a stationary bike by the end of the week, and jogging in about a month.  Wrestling in 3 months and back to 100%.  Those first few weeks, you'd need to make sure you get a good physical therapist or do it yourself, but don't let them treat you like you're the average population.  You're an athlete! and a determined one at that.  Make sure they understand that before you ever let them touch you with a scalpel.

Of course most of this is based on one type of injury.  Hopefully, you find-out you just have tendonitis or a strain, but I just want you to know if you have a torn meniscus, you can make it back to 100% and not have the kind of issues that a lot of people fear.  Oh and one more thing, see if you can pick an orthopedist who has experience with athletes.  Mine was later hired as the Baltimore Ravens Surgeon and said if I was a professional athlete, he'd have me on the field in 2 weeks...

Lauren- Holy cow! I read and re-read your log.  I can't believe you'd be disappointed at all.  You may feel now like you didn't push it enough, but you just finished something most of us will never do and 99.9999997% of the population of the planet could not do.  When your body can't even produce urine, you have pushed it plenty!!! You motivate the hell out of us! I'm proud just knowing you!  Great Job IRONMAN!!

I'm trying to get around to everyone's logs today.  Sorry again I've been off them for so long.  Being sick really kept me from wanting to see any Tri-stuff because I really wanted to train even though had I done so, I would've made myself worse.  That's enough out of me!

2008-07-24 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Wow, great post! Thanks for the info. My knee doesn't lock, so maybe it's not that. All I know is that if I press on the area between the femur and tibia bones it hurts bad and its inflammed. I keep thinking about taking the Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate Supplements, I am hesitant because I hate taking pills in general, I always worry they will find something bad about it in 10 years. I guess it's better than taking ibuprofen all the time though.

2008-07-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1556542

User image

Could be bursitis.  I once went to bed with a sore knee and woke-up with my knee looking like a softball was under the skin.  The bursa being the sack of fluid on top and under your patella.

Ibuprofen is good for anti-inflamation, but you're right, popping those like they're M&Ms doesn't do any good.  When I actually tore the meniscus, I had dosed pretty heavily on IB (probably too much since I wasn't eating well) and I think it may have given me a false sense of security since it cut-down on the pain.

2008-07-24 4:57 PM

User image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZLlrwvzPQ

One last post.

I just had to post this.  It's a disturbing look at the Spanish Doping Program. 

Catchy tune, but I don't understand why he's wearing a mariachi suit (mexican), speaking spanish in the beginning of the video, and then speaking french throughout...

2008-07-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1557084

User image

You know something?  This group Rocks!

I just checked the stats and we have at least double the posts of any of the other groups.  Not only that, but I'd be willing to bet everyone on here has improved or achieved more while they have been on here. 

I don't know when this group ends, but when it does, we should list-out all the races, PRs, and accomplishments of each so Lauren can put that as a feather in her hat.

It'll be a sad day when this group breaks up. Sad day indeed!

2008-07-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1558349

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Who said anything about breaking up? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66