of 171

2011-01-11 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3293160

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

gdale - 2011-01-11 3:39 PM
Techdiver - 2011-01-11 4:17 PM Damn snow, just caused my swimming pool to close and cancel the masters class tonight BOOOO..

Now what.

Just freaking run!!

Wink

NICE!

2011-01-11 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

You trail-runner types - tell me about trail shoes.  I am planning on a trail run this year and would like to get a H20-proof pair for running in snow/rain/uckky conditions...  I saw these and they seem good, but how does the fit work?  Is it just like road shoes - neutrual, prontation, etc.

2011-01-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3293180

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Tobey91 - 2011-01-11 2:46 PM
Techdiver - 2011-01-11 4:17 PM Damn snow, just caused my swimming pool to close and cancel the masters class tonight BOOOO..

Now what.

Frustrating. 

Here in DC, they canceled the after-school programs today because it is FORECAST to snow later this evening.  I mean, C'MON.  It has not even started snowing yet.  Unbelievable.

Still hoping to do a 6 mile run tonight - possibly in that wonderful setting when it is lightly snowing and there is that beautiful glow in the air from the ambient light reflecting off the snowflakes. 

Where are you? Philly? Cancelling due to a forecast.
2011-01-11 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I know a bunch of the guys recently recommended Nike shorts. Teamexpress is having a sale $25 off orders of $99 or more. What short do you recommend?
2011-01-11 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3293223

User image

Master
ashort33 - 2011-01-11 2:06 PM

You trail-runner types - tell me about trail shoes.  I am planning on a trail run this year and would like to get a H20-proof pair for running in snow/rain/uckky conditions...  I saw these and they seem good, but how does the fit work?  Is it just like road shoes - neutrual, prontation, etc.

Steve is da man when it comes to this! I do lots of running in the trails and have two pairs of trail shoes, both made by running shoe companies (Asics and Brooks). Neither is entirely waterproof. Fit-wise they are just like my regular running shoes. In fact, the Brooks are regular running shoes with a different "more" waterproof upper. My Asics are heavier souled and a bit more "industrial" but still have not been waterproof on super rainy/muddy trails.

My gut would have me stick with running shoes that are tried and true... both brands of trail shoes I have I have also run many, many miles with their shoes on the roads.
2011-01-11 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3293103

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-01-11 3:19 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-11 2:51 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-11 2:17 PM I'm late to the party, but let me throw in my two cents (which is often worth close to $1--he he), I think the Elkhart Oly is a great idea.  Depending on how you're feeling about your training you could use it as a good speedwork session or to test out your HIM pacing/nutritional strategy.  I'm doing an Oly the following week in preparation for Racine and plan to use it as a good speedwork test.

I believe it is too soon to do the 8/27 marathon after the HIM.  While I think you can be recovered, I don't think you will have the opportunity to do sufficient long runs leading up to it while still HIM training.  Something would have to be compromised and since DC is an A race, it wouldn't work IMO.  Have you considered the Haunted Hustle 10/29 or Whistlestop 10/15?  Both are fairly late in the season and would give you more time to build your long runs.

I actually would like to do the Haunted Hustle, but I'm afraid it's just a little too late into the school year to really focus on it, since school really starts getting busy/crazy in October.  The reason the October 2 marathon worked was because I'd be tapering starting mid-September, meaning the peak training would only be in the first couple weeks of class, which are more manageable. 

Ryan had thought about the trail run marathon in Madison.  That seems like it could be iffy though.  What do you think?

What trail run marathon???? North Face--it's not exactly Madison!?  are you looking for  a PR or just a good, hard time?

Yup, I meant the North Face one, I thought it was in Madison.  Whoops.  Not looking for a PR at all, but I've been LOVING having a specific race to keep me training for, which is why I've been looking at marathons.  It helps my motivation a ton, and the idea of a marathon came up in conversation with a friend who suggested I run one with her.  I had said that I just want to beat Oprah's time, originally, but I honestly would just love to finish one first.  So let's just throw out 4.5-5 hours? 

2011-01-11 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3293273

User image

kkcbelle - 2011-01-11 5:26 PM

Steve is da man when it comes to this! I do lots of running in the trails and have two pairs of trail shoes, both made by running shoe companies (Asics and Brooks). Neither is entirely waterproof. Fit-wise they are just like my regular running shoes. In fact, the Brooks are regular running shoes with a different "more" waterproof upper. My Asics are heavier souled and a bit more "industrial" but still have not been waterproof on super rainy/muddy trails.

My gut would have me stick with running shoes that are tried and true... both brands of trail shoes I have I have also run many, many miles with their shoes on the roads.

How wet do you think you'll get? From what I've read, the waterproof trail shoes don't breathe well (sweaty feet), and they get waterlogged if you end up stepping in a stream or puddle. I went with a pair that has a water resistant fabric but is still has an open weave to allow water to drain from the shoes. I wear wool socks to keep my feet warm when they get wet. For fit, I went to my local running shop and they helped me order a pair of trail shoes that are most similar to the road shoes I wear. Also, some trail shoes are designed for rocky trails while others are better for muddy conditions, so it's worth thinking about the types of trails you'll be running on. Good luck! Trail running is a blast!
2011-01-11 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3293413

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

gotta run - 2011-01-11 5:32 PM

How wet do you think you'll get? From what I've read, the waterproof trail shoes don't breathe well (sweaty feet), and they get waterlogged if you end up stepping in a stream or puddle. I went with a pair that has a water resistant fabric but is still has an open weave to allow water to drain from the shoes. I wear wool socks to keep my feet warm when they get wet. For fit, I went to my local running shop and they helped me order a pair of trail shoes that are most similar to the road shoes I wear. Also, some trail shoes are designed for rocky trails while others are better for muddy conditions, so it's worth thinking about the types of trails you'll be running on. Good luck! Trail running is a blast!

Mostly splashing through puddles with the occassional mud-pit.  Wool socks are a good idea! Cotton socks hold water like a sponge.  Here and in OK there is a mix of mud and rock, so probably not running up the Rocky Mtns, but I might try to mix it up with the hillbillies over in the Ozarks from time to time...

2011-01-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3293419

User image

ashort33 - 2011-01-11 6:36 PM

gotta run - 2011-01-11 5:32 PM

Mostly splashing through puddles with the occassional mud-pit.  Wool socks are a good idea! Cotton socks hold water like a sponge.  Here and in OK there is a mix of mud and rock, so probably not running up the Rocky Mtns, but I might try to mix it up with the hillbillies over in the Ozarks from time to time...

I just looked at the ones you linked, and they looked pretty heavy-duty. Check the weight - 28.5 oz! You might be happier with some lighter-weight shoes. For comparison, the mens version of the shoes I have (Asics Trail Sensor) is 13.5 oz.
2011-01-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3293223

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2011-01-11 5:06 PM

i run in these.   really like em'.

i don't like socks below the ankle on trails, to much crap gets in my normal low cut running socks, balega's.  i tried a pair of wrightsocks on sunday's run...didn't like them. 
2011-01-11 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3293249

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2011-01-11 5:19 PM I know a bunch of the guys recently recommended Nike shorts. Teamexpress is having a sale $25 off orders of $99 or more. What short do you recommend?

Nike Tempo Two-in-One 7" Men's Running Shorts.  but i don't see them on teamexpress. 

2011-01-11 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
seems tony ran goofy with the flu.  ha!  now sam has it.  and jarrett down here.  sucks. 
2011-01-11 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I have it too. Frown
2011-01-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3293699

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
DougRob - 2011-01-11 9:42 PM I have it too. Frown

We had a mess run through our house just before Christmas.  Fortunately it cleared before the holidays.

It hit hard and left fast.  I hope it leaves all of you fast too!

Get better.
2011-01-11 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3293699

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2011-01-11 6:42 PM I have it too. Frown

ugh, take care of yourself, doug!!!

people around me are dropping like flies, i am just sucking down the emergenC like a crazy person.
2011-01-11 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Speaking of heart rates I win the max heart rate prize of the week.  Max heart rate was 215!!!!   Funny thing was I felt completely fine. Except I was waiting for my Garmin to call the EMTs for all the times it was beeping at me to slow my HR down.   Had forgotten to mention my crazy high HR to the coach. He just laughed and said, "maybe we'll do that 2 mile TT sooner rather than later to get your zones all set." 

Everything is covered in ice in NC.  Makes getting out very difficult.  Hope everyone is doing well.

2011-01-11 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Well another late workout for me.  Did a run in the mini blizzard we're getting here in Ontario.  Was cold at first but once I warmed up I was fine, well except for 1/3 of my loop (did 4 loops) where the wind was in my face and ice pellets were stinging my cheek and eyes.  Wish I still had my ski gogles.  The ball cap John put on our country didn't protect me Tongue out .  Tomorrow I will try to get in the pool, I've been away from it since beginning of December. Not good!  These late nights are killing my plans to get them done early mornings.

Good night folks!

2011-01-12 12:36 AM
in reply to: #3293180

User image

Veteran
New York
Tobey91 - 2011-01-12 5:46 AM

Now what.

Frustrating. 

Here in DC, they canceled the after-school programs today because it is FORECAST to snow later this evening.  I mean, C'MON.  It has not even started snowing yet.  Unbelievable.

Still hoping to do a 6 mile run tonight - possibly in that wonderful setting when it is lightly snowing and there is that beautiful glow in the air from the ambient light reflecting off the snowflakes. 

My flight to New York was cancelled tonight.  Now stuck in Madison with no gear.  It's all sitting at the airport.  Suppose I could run in jeans, boots, and my santa sweater.

2011-01-12 3:20 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Hubby's flight to Boston cancelled.,...he's stuck in Chicago.   AND I just had an earthquake jolt me out of bed.  I'm guessing it was close to 5.0.  Wondering if Kim felt it?
2011-01-12 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hopping in to ask the all important question, WHO'S RACING THIS WEEKEND?

For us non racers, it's 12 days into the new year, what are you doing right? what do you need to work on?

2011-01-12 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3291885

User image

New user
Ottawa
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-11 8:55 AM
Anne! - 2011-01-11 7:03 AM

He he... that's okay.  I'm just saying that the data can be "real enough."  How can anyone argue with that?  Real enough for me might not be real enough for you... but if I want some numbers, I can get numbers.  If I really want to, I can even assign meaning to them.

how can anyone argue with that?  well,  that's a easy argument to make with a single minded approach.  maybe a more holisitic approach would provide a more robust data set, as i suggested in the earlier post about not assuming things.  a garmin isn't going to tell you how your legs feels, if you need to eat, etc...

That's what the "notes" section of the spreadsheet is for.  The data probably explain why my legs feel like hell.  If I increased time and intensity (too much) over the last week, then I would expect to feel the effects of it.  I like to collect both qualitative and quantitative information in my training log.  So if you ask me which factors to take into consideration... I would say "all factors that make sense..." and these may change from time to time.  I think you're making assumptions about the use of a "single minded" approach.  

Oh, and I count calories too :P

Did I mention that I'm Type A ??

2011-01-12 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3293965

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-01-12 7:14 AM Hopping in to ask the all important question, WHO'S RACING THIS WEEKEND?

For us non racers, it's 12 days into the new year, what are you doing right? what do you need to work on?

good luck racers,  nada here.   stuck home again today. 

started the new year off with another bike fit.  so far the changes are great.  new saddle coming on the way, a cobb shc170.  a bit thinner up front to hopefully get rid of some chaffing issues going on. 
2011-01-12 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Well I had my 1st swim lesson last night and it went pretty well, started with warm up laps and then worked on drills, the main thing for the next few weeks he said was we would work on breathing. The 4 Things we did were:

1. Kick on our back a few lengths with arms fastened to the side

2. Kick on our back and rotate to each side for a few kicks while keeping mouth out of water

3. Kick on our back and rotate to each side while having mouth submerged, we would breath before rotating to next side

4. Trying to breath in that lil "pocket" of air created when the water rises over your head and dips back down, so if don right one eye is still submerged and you can see the outside walls.

I initially struggled with the side rotations because as soon as i rotated to a side i would sink, but later got the hang of it, the lil "pocket" breathing drill surprisingly I didn't do that bad until he made us do some lengths breathing on the opposite side from what we normally do if we weren't bilaterally breathing. OMG I felt like a fish outta water while in water lol if that makes sense.

All in all it was a good class and I will incorporate these drills into my weeks swim sessions
2011-01-12 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Made it in to work here in NC. Almost no one on the raods. I feel about 80%. Still hacking up some "solid" phlegm. Might try to workout tonight.

I have read most of the posts about numbers. I too am an engineer. So here is my point of view. Numbers can be useful, but many time the situation is too complex to easily define with numbers. Things like humidity, temperature., time of day, what you ate, how you slept, how stressed you are, what your previous workouts were like, etc. can all affect your performance. That is why listening to your body is important as it RPE.

Keep track of everything you can think of and over time you can see trends as well as improvement. Bear in mind a great deal of training is building a strong base. Your performance during these workouts is not critical. The tempo workouts will tell you more about how you are improving.

So basically do NOT be a slave to the numbers. You can go crazy that way.

JMTCW,

Doug
2011-01-12 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3294048

User image

Elite
Raleigh
GrapeJuice - 2011-01-12 8:29 AM Well I had my 1st swim lesson last night and it went pretty well, started with warm up laps and then worked on drills, the main thing for the next few weeks he said was we would work on breathing. The 4 Things we did were:

1. Kick on our back a few lengths with arms fastened to the side

2. Kick on our back and rotate to each side for a few kicks while keeping mouth out of water

3. Kick on our back and rotate to each side while having mouth submerged, we would breath before rotating to next side

4. Trying to breath in that lil "pocket" of air created when the water rises over your head and dips back down, so if don right one eye is still submerged and you can see the outside walls.

I initially struggled with the side rotations because as soon as i rotated to a side i would sink, but later got the hang of it, the lil "pocket" breathing drill surprisingly I didn't do that bad until he made us do some lengths breathing on the opposite side from what we normally do if we weren't bilaterally breathing. OMG I felt like a fish outta water while in water lol if that makes sense.

All in all it was a good class and I will incorporate these drills into my weeks swim sessions

This is good and should show results. If you can master this then you will not be pulling youe head up to breathe, which would cause your lower body to drop in the water and creat a lot of drag. The more you can keep your body up at the surface, the less drag in the water you'll have. Good luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171