BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-03-24 12:37 AM
in reply to: #1288339

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-23 2:27 PM
lastcall2003 - 2008-03-23 12:04 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-03-23 2:02 PM Wow am I a thread killer or what. SILENCE!!! Had a nice 13K run this morning except now I am feeling a sore calve muscle will have to see how it goes. Might be some time off of running and a trip to Massage Therapy!!

LOL

Nope, I don't think so - just a busy weekend - speaking for myself, I spent the majority of the weeekend

en route to or from the airport

at the airport

in the air

very little time at home this weekend, but I am thankful for what I did have

That does not sound like a fun weekend! I hope you get some more rest time and workout time soon!!!

thanks Leslie

you and me both on the rest and the workout - I knew March was going to be rough but geeeeeze!

hopefully the weather is going to be more cooperative going forward 

2008-03-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1288828

Regular
Fielding - 2008-03-24 12:03 AM
Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-23 12:26 PM

Hope everyone is having a good Easter and hasn't eaten too much candy (I have been sorta good....considering the amount that is in the house.). Here are my boys sampling some pre-breakfast PEEPS.

Your boys are SO CUTE! They look very thoughtful about their Peeps (I can relate -- Easter was always my favorite holiday when I was a kid). I took a very well-deserved rest day today and had some friends over for an Easterish party. It was super warm so I wore a skirt, and my friends were laughing at my ridiculously banged up knees. I love riding clipless, but my knees are practically solid bruises now from all the stupid falls.

DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

Why do you fall more w/ clipless pedals?  I've never used them, so I have no idea.

2008-03-24 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1289373

User image

Melon Presser
ldatug - 2008-03-24 8:04 AM

Hope everyone is having a good Easter and hasn't eaten too much candy (I have been sorta good....considering the amount that is in the house.). Here are my boys sampling some pre-breakfast PEEPS.

Your boys are SO CUTE! They look very thoughtful about their Peeps (I can relate -- Easter was always my favorite holiday when I was a kid). I took a very well-deserved rest day today and had some friends over for an Easterish party. It was super warm so I wore a skirt, and my friends were laughing at my ridiculously banged up knees. I love riding clipless, but my knees are practically solid bruises now from all the stupid falls.

DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

Why do you fall more w/ clipless pedals?  I've never used them, so I have no idea.

That's a really smart question, actually.

With clipless pedals, your shoe is actually attached to the pedal--there's a locking mechanism on a cleat on the bottom of the shoe that latches onto the pedal. So in order to get your foot off the pedal, you can't just lift up--you have to twist your shoe out against resistance (a bit like opening a twist-off bottle cap, actually).

So if you come to a stop, and need to take your foot off the pedal, and can't do it fast enough or you don't get the twist-and-pop just right, your foot will remain attached to the pedal instead of getting planted on the ground ... and there's nothing to stop your bike from falling over, often with you and your feet still attached to it!

2008-03-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Good morning! I just sent in my registration for the April 27 duathlon and the June 7 Oly (my A race)...so now I actually have a goal that is set in stone.  Still need to find some May races, and fill in the weekends with a couple of trail runs, and decide if I am going to do the Seattle-to-Portland bike ride....which means a TON of biking....gotta see if I can fit that in. Still, I am feeling psyched to have a couple of things on the calendar now.  If my A race is so early in the season, should I find another one to be my A race a few weeks after that one? Most of the rest are sprints, but I think I could do one more Oly (depending on how I fare in the first.)

I hope you guys are all training hard today!

2008-03-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1289698

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-24 10:11 AM

Good morning! I just sent in my registration for the April 27 duathlon and the June 7 Oly (my A race)...so now I actually have a goal that is set in stone. Still need to find some May races, and fill in the weekends with a couple of trail runs, and decide if I am going to do the Seattle-to-Portland bike ride....which means a TON of biking....gotta see if I can fit that in. Still, I am feeling psyched to have a couple of things on the calendar now. If my A race is so early in the season, should I find another one to be my A race a few weeks after that one? Most of the rest are sprints, but I think I could do one more Oly (depending on how I fare in the first.)

Congratulations, Leslie! There's no backing out now, hee.

It seems to me that you can pick out another A race in late summer/early fall, so you start the training cycle all over again.

Do your races sell out? That's one problem I've run into this year. I've had to make up my mind about races pretty early or risk losing a spot. I got lucky with my half marathon -- a friend had a connection and was able to get me in even though it was sold out. I'm worried that a couple of tris I was thinking about doing might be closed by the time I'm ready to commit to them.

2008-03-24 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1289785

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Fielding - 2008-03-24 10:50 AM
Medusa_Ann - 2008-03-24 10:11 AM

Good morning! I just sent in my registration for the April 27 duathlon and the June 7 Oly (my A race)...so now I actually have a goal that is set in stone. Still need to find some May races, and fill in the weekends with a couple of trail runs, and decide if I am going to do the Seattle-to-Portland bike ride....which means a TON of biking....gotta see if I can fit that in. Still, I am feeling psyched to have a couple of things on the calendar now. If my A race is so early in the season, should I find another one to be my A race a few weeks after that one? Most of the rest are sprints, but I think I could do one more Oly (depending on how I fare in the first.)

Congratulations, Leslie! There's no backing out now, hee. It seems to me that you can pick out another A race in late summer/early fall, so you start the training cycle all over again. Do your races sell out? That's one problem I've run into this year. I've had to make up my mind about races pretty early or risk losing a spot. I got lucky with my half marathon -- a friend had a connection and was able to get me in even though it was sold out. I'm worried that a couple of tris I was thinking about doing might be closed by the time I'm ready to commit to them.

Yes, a lot of the races sell out, so I am trying to figure out exactly how I want the summer to pan out.  I don't want to have so many races that I have no free time on the weekends, as it tends to wipe me out since I usually sleep like crap the night before and don't have the ability to take a nap or ever really get a solid night to recover (kids).  I seem to rely on karma a lot to register for races--I've lucked out a couple of times and bought people's registration, I got a free reg for the duathlon, and sometimes the Lunachix give out free last-minute entries to tris, which I am on top of!  However, I am sort of anal and should plan a little bit just to keep myself on track!

2008-03-24 7:36 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Congrats on the race Leslie!  The biking sounds pretty cool as well - yep, the season is upon us

As of right now, I am only registered for one race, I really don't know if I can swing more than that mentally this year with the whole commuting thing

I'm registered for the HyVee Oly in Des Moines on June 22 - I may see if I can squeeze in the sprint at the Cornhusker State games at the end of July for nostalgic reasons

next year I'll be checking out the venue in PA and NJ

2008-03-25 6:21 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

well, I may have my mojo back

workouts two nights in a row!!!!

2008-03-25 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1289581

Regular
TriAya - 2008-03-24 12:30 PM
ldatug - 2008-03-24 8:04 AM

DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

That's a really smart question, actually.

With clipless pedals, your shoe is actually attached to the pedal--there's a locking mechanism on a cleat on the bottom of the shoe that latches onto the pedal. So in order to get your foot off the pedal, you can't just lift up--you have to twist your shoe out against resistance (a bit like opening a twist-off bottle cap, actually).

So if you come to a stop, and need to take your foot off the pedal, and can't do it fast enough or you don't get the twist-and-pop just right, your foot will remain attached to the pedal instead of getting planted on the ground ... and there's nothing to stop your bike from falling over, often with you and your feet still attached to it!

THIS IS HILARIOUS (and shows how f'ing clueless I am about cycling)!!!!!!  I have clipless pedals and didn't know it!!!  I assumed since they locked me in that they were considered 'clipped' pedals.  I looked it up online and now see how dumb I am!  Wow....I'm glad I never said anything like that at my weekly group ride. 

Now I TOTALLY understand how you fall more.  I've had a hard time getting used to them (but I never had anything else, so I don't really know the difference! 

2008-03-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1293503

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ldatug - 2008-03-25 6:42 PM

THIS IS HILARIOUS (and shows how f'ing clueless I am about cycling)!!!!!! I have clipless pedals and didn't know it!!! I assumed since they locked me in that they were considered 'clipped' pedals. I looked it up online and now see how dumb I am! Wow....I'm glad I never said anything like that at my weekly group ride.

Now I TOTALLY understand how you fall more. I've had a hard time getting used to them (but I never had anything else, so I don't really know the difference!

Haha! I love that you didn't realize we were talking about your shoes! I'm very impressed that that's all you've ever known. Clipless would've scared the crap out of me if I'd gone that way from the start. I mean, I used *platform* pedals for the first couple months after I got my bike -- even the straps scared me!
2008-03-26 8:32 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I'm on a roll!

3 days of workouts in a row - I know that doesn't sound like much, but given my life the past couple of months - it's huge!

I feel like I'm back on track! 

2008-03-26 8:45 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

tonights spinning class was better than some of the other ones i've been to - but I continue to scratch my head a bit at some of the instruction

'side to side'

'bounce it out'

just doesn't sound right to me -

they also do a lot of jumping and isolation drills in all of the classes, those drills really bother my knees and..............I would never do them on my road bike, so I just ride - they can all think I'm too old or too out of shape or whatever - lol!

Any insights??? 

2008-03-26 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1296440

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
lastcall2003 - 2008-03-26 6:45 PM

tonights spinning class was better than some of the other ones i've been to - but I continue to scratch my head a bit at some of the instruction

'side to side'

'bounce it out'

just doesn't sound right to me -

they also do a lot of jumping and isolation drills in all of the classes, those drills really bother my knees and..............I would never do them on my road bike, so I just ride - they can all think I'm too old or too out of shape or whatever - lol!

Any insights??? 

I have a feeling that Yanti will say you are totally doing the right thing!  I had  similar question a while back when I was doing spinning classes a lot. 

I actually rode the trainer tonight, which was not so bad!  I've had a mental block on it for a while.  Good to be back.  You too, Beth, happy you are finding your groove again!  I swam today and did some good times, for me.  My only new issue is some foot pain, which paranoid me assumes is a stress fracture....so I set up an appt with a doc on Monday just in case.  If the pain stops I will cancel it.  Better safe than sorry this early in the season.

Yanti, you are just a couple of days away from the BIG EVENT.  If you have the time to fill us in on your preparations, that would be awesome, but I know it's quite a week so whatever you can do.  You know we are your biggest cheering section!!!

2008-03-27 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1296556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey you all!  Hope you all are having a MUCH better week than I am!  Less than 3 weeks to my first race and wouldn't you know I got hit with the worst stomach bug EVER!  YUCK!  Passed out Mon, in the middle of the night, trying to make it back to bed from the bathroom . . . finally feeling human again, but no training since Monday.  Ohhhh how I hate this weak feeling and getting so far behind!!  It really makes you appreciate the times you feel healthy!

Monday, before coming down with this ohhh so suddenly, I did get a chance to try out my wetsuit   I was so excited to come tell you all, then got hit with this bug.  Anyhow, it was great!  I wore it to my pool here in Nebraska . . . got LOTS of looks, LOL!  Glad I did it though - have I mentioned I HATE the unknown?   I couldn't see putting it off until race day!  I swam the number of laps I will need to in my OLY race and it went well!  Almost 20 sec faster per 100 (keep in mind my 100 is pretty slow, 2:30 or so)  I hope that all of that gain wasn't from how easily I could glide off of the walls in this thing!  In any case, I'm feeling much better about the swim.  I won't be AS slow as I thought and I know I can get outta the sucker now   No training for me since then   Hopefully I can work in something very light tonight, though I still feel pretty icky!

Beth - WOOHOO on getting back into your training!!  Sounds like you are back!!

Yanti - SUPER GOOD LUCK Saturday . . . as if you need it!!!  SOOOO excited for your big race! 

Hope you are all having a great week!

Renee

2008-03-27 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Poor Renee! That really sucks, especially since you should be out there enjoying all your new tri toys. Good for you, testing the wetsuit. Nice speed, too. I'm jealous!

I'm really, really happy to be tapering for my race next week. I always hate admitting that I love rest weeks, because we're supposed to be gung-ho athletes, right? But I do -- I love the free time, I love not stressing over how bad my swimming is, I love not having to be on the bike for hours and hours. It's terrible! Anyone else feel the same?

2008-03-28 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I hope everyone had a great week and is planning a a good weekend. We are getting very weird weather here right now that includes SNOW we don't get snow in December very often and here it is end of March and snow.

Yanti now after all your support and help that you have given all of us this is your time!! I hope your event goes awesome and that you kick some A$$ (we know you will) If you ever need that extra bit of energy ( I doubt you do) just know that your manatees are all behind you and know just how great you are.

2008-03-29 2:16 AM
in reply to: #1301036

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ShawnC13 - 2008-03-28 7:38 PM
Yanti now after all your support and help that you have given all of us this is your time!! I hope your event goes awesome and that you kick some A$$ (we know you will) If you ever need that extra bit of energy ( I doubt you do) just know that your manatees are all behind you and know just how great you are.

x100! We're all going to be cheering so hard for you, Yanti!
2008-03-29 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Hey manatees I got to hug our Yanti yesterday at registration. I knew who she was the second she walked in the door. That smile is like a beam of sunshine across the room

Transition opens and the body marking begins in about 5 minutes.
2008-03-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1301205

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

MrsUSMC - 2008-03-29 4:38 AM Hey manatees I got to hug our Yanti yesterday at registration. I knew who she was the second she walked in the door. That smile is like a beam of sunshine across the room Transition opens and the body marking begins in about 5 minutes.

Teri, that is great!  Lucky for both of you!  I hope that you get some pictures of the race and have lots of stories to tell.  Of course, we are all awaiting the story of the day from Yanti!!  She's out there right now, folks!  Goooooo!!!!!!

2008-03-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1301176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Fielding - 2008-03-29 2:16 AM
ShawnC13 - 2008-03-28 7:38 PM Yanti now after all your support and help that you have given all of us this is your time!! I hope your event goes awesome and that you kick some A$$ (we know you will) If you ever need that extra bit of energy ( I doubt you do) just know that your manatees are all behind you and know just how great you are.

You betcha!!  Cheering all morning Yanti!  Hope you can hear us!!

2008-03-29 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1301430

User image

Champion
Taser-World
rreischl - 2008-03-29 1:15 PM

Fielding - 2008-03-29 2:16 AM
ShawnC13 - 2008-03-28 7:38 PM Yanti now after all your support and help that you have given all of us this is your time!! I hope your event goes awesome and that you kick some A$$ (we know you will) If you ever need that extra bit of energy ( I doubt you do) just know that your manatees are all behind you and know just how great you are.

You betcha!! Cheering all morning Yanti! Hope you can hear us!!

Look what Sal (Sparco) just posted:

http://ironman.com//events/ironman70.3/california70.3/?show=tracker...

GO YANTI, GO!!!! That was an AWESOME swim!!!!!

(I'll have to check back in awhile, to see how her biking went.)

Edited by D001 2008-03-29 12:54 PM

2008-03-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1301479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
D001 - 2008-03-29 12:52 PM

Look what Sal (Sparco) just posted: http://ironman.com//events/ironman70.3/california70.3/?show=tracker... GO YANTI, GO!!!! That was an AWESOME swim!!!!! (I'll have to check back in awhile, to see how her biking went.)

AWESOME . . . Thanks for sharing!!!! 

GOOOOOOO Yanti!!

2008-03-29 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Of course it is AWESOME that is our YANTI out there. She is doing great I am in total awe. Did you look at her occupation? Cockapoo wrangler lmao
2008-03-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1301490

User image

Champion
Taser-World
ShawnC13 - 2008-03-29 2:12 PM

Of course it is AWESOME that is our YANTI out there. She is doing great I am in total awe. Did you look at her occupation? Cockapoo wrangler lmao

I laughed at her occupation, too.

No update on the biking yet. I just checked again.

PEDAL YANTI, PEDAL! We're cheering for you!!!!!

Edited by D001 2008-03-29 1:55 PM
2008-03-29 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I hope her T.I.T.S pay off for her. I have always wanted to say that lol
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61