General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-03-15 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3394705

Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

Hi to Everybody ,

I just decided to enter to my first ironman 70.3 in Antwerp ! Is there anybody who attended before ? I did once olympic traithlon in 2.59 and one marathon last week in 4h33mn .. can I finish the 70.3 ironman ? or am I too beginner ? )

Anyway will see ... speak to you soon

Nikola

2011-03-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3052895

I don't post here much but had such a great experience in the pool today, I thought I would share. I purchased Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion book a couple of years ago, flipped through it, thought about it, made notes but never really gave it a shot. I only learned to swim a few years ago to venture into tri's and must say I am not a strong swimmer. Completing an Olympic distance was a huge accomplishment and well worth the price of admission! Blah Blah Blah, dug out the Total Immersion book again and read it more carefully. I also found the videos on this web site.

First Part   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1744

2nd Part http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1792

4rd Part     http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1859

The workout today, Week 3 was the 4x500. It is usually a tough one for me. I decided to try TI today, you know, give it an honest shot.   I finished first 100, thinking I feel pretty good. I then finished 1st 500 and heart rate was not much above a walking pace rate. Time was about 1 minute slower than the last time I did a 500 but I could hardly catch my breath then. Blah Blah Blah, 4 x 500 went very well. Times were a little slower than before (one was a full minute+ more but I think I lost count ) but considering I was quite fine after each one and was hardly breathing, I think there might be somethingto this.....Wink

Can hardly wait to get back to pool to try again to see how it goes. I have been taking lessons and working on my traditional swimming technique but it is always hard. As Terry comments, if you are going for sprint distances, this might not be for you but if you are going distance and want to feel good after, then he has a very efficient style.

I thought I would share as maybe some others are considering the TI program. I might order up the disc to compliment the book. I have never felt so good after a 2200 metre workout before.

Anybody else here use this technique?

Cheers all,

Shawn

2011-03-15 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3397522

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

miyutris - 2011-03-14 4:14 PM Starting week 4 (or 17 depending on how you look at it.). I have a question about the "race specific" training days for the swim. The long and speed days make sense, but I don't understand what makes the other workout "race-specific."

Great question! Some things that make it a "race-specific" workout:
1. Long sets that mimic race distance
2. Building speed and dealing with fatigue as the workout progresses

So that workout is working on endurance for your race distance as well as helping you learn how to pace for race distance and hopefully finish swimming faster or as fast as the pace you started at.

2011-03-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3398132

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Nikola67 - 2011-03-15 6:34 AM

Hi to Everybody ,

I just decided to enter to my first ironman 70.3 in Antwerp ! Is there anybody who attended before ? I did once olympic traithlon in 2.59 and one marathon last week in 4h33mn .. can I finish the 70.3 ironman ? or am I too beginner ? )

Anyway will see ... speak to you soon

Nikola

Hi Nikola, and welcome to BT! We have another feature here on BT where you can see who has done a race in the past and who is doing the same race as you this year. Antwerp can be found here. You can read the race reports of others who have done this race and see who is doing it this year.

2011-03-16 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

I am just scraping through week 7, that I swapped for week 8 so I could have a recovery week as my first week back after a nasty flu.

This week, I have been totally lacking in motivation. I have done few of the workouts and eaten like a horse. NOT good.

2011-03-16 6:50 PM

What a great day! Had yesterday's run today, outside. Then had my one hour bike, outside! Beautiful weather riding beside snow covered fields of farmland.

Felt weird and great at the same time!

Cheers,

Shawn

Northwestern Ontario

2011-03-16 9:12 PM

User image

Bronze member
Well, I finished my longest run of this year and my longest run so far in the plan. I'm on the fence about doing the whole race. I really don't like running that far and that wasn't even the whole distance! Might just stick with the swim and bike. I like to swim long and go for long rides. When I look ahead at the training plan at all the 1-2 hour runs I just don't know if my body can take all the pounding and it doesn't seem worth the risk if I don't even like it! We'll see, the next two weeks are a little bit lighter on the run.
2011-03-16 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3401263

Expert

trigal38 - 2011-03-16 9:12 PM Well, I finished my longest run of this year and my longest run so far in the plan. I'm on the fence about doing the whole race. I really don't like running that far and that wasn't even the whole distance! Might just stick with the swim and bike. I like to swim long and go for long rides. When I look ahead at the training plan at all the 1-2 hour runs I just don't know if my body can take all the pounding and it doesn't seem worth the risk if I don't even like it! We'll see, the next two weeks are a little bit lighter on the run.

I'm curious what's going wrong in the run?  What's your not liking it come up as during your runs? Bored? Uncomfortable? Tired? Want to quit? All the above...

I wonder because the run is my favorite part and I love long runs!  Would love to hear you elaborate a little bit more.

2011-03-16 9:36 PM

User image

Bronze member

Hmm, my pace was fine today, ran with a friend and had a nice visit. I just really don't like all the pounding. Probably because I have a history of injuries - lots of foot and ankle trouble. I like to run, just not for that long. I came home and sat in an ice bath and thought - "What the heck? This is not fun!"  Yes, I guess I was bored also. Nothing but flat farm roads around here and we've had too much rain for me to run the trails where I typically like to run.

I don't know, we'll see how it goes.

2011-03-16 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3401036

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-03-16 6:17 PM

I am just scraping through week 7, that I swapped for week 8 so I could have a recovery week as my first week back after a nasty flu.

This week, I have been totally lacking in motivation. I have done few of the workouts and eaten like a horse. NOT good.

What's up there cheeky? You were doing great. I think most people run through spells where it is just tough to get going. Its a long haul to get through the program but I can assure you crossing that finish line is so worth it. Few things in life will feel so rewarding. You should be pretty well rested which is a good thing and you can build off of that. Let us know how you do tomorrow.
2011-03-17 12:15 AM
in reply to: #3401287

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
trigal38 - 2011-03-16 9:36 PM

Hmm, my pace was fine today, ran with a friend and had a nice visit. I just really don't like all the pounding. Probably because I have a history of injuries - lots of foot and ankle trouble. I like to run, just not for that long. I came home and sat in an ice bath and thought - "What the heck? This is not fun!"  Yes, I guess I was bored also. Nothing but flat farm roads around here and we've had too much rain for me to run the trails where I typically like to run.

I know how you feel. For me its the bike that is causing me discomfort and the long rides just haven't been happening. I'm trying to make up for it by adding an extra short ride in the week. There is a lot to be said for the fitness you gain through consistency and frequency. While building longs runs is a great idea I think you can still do well by lots of medium length runs. I did my half marathon last week after just a 6 mile long run.

2011-03-17 12:31 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Well today was an interesting day. After a swim during lunch I was heading over to a meeting and felt some chest pain, got sweaty, dizzy. Was near the E/R so paced around for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I really needed to go in or not. Started to really feel lousy with an elevated heart rate, I'm usually 45 bpm resting and I was about 80, so I went in just to be on the safe side. Was probably a combination of chest wall muscle tightness and stress because with some relaxation type drugs my heart rate and blood pressure fell back down. Funny the alarms go off if below 50 bpm and I was back in the 40's so they sent me home. They ran an EKG and some lab tests to confirm my heart was fine. So I got a nice little drug induced rest through the afternoon. Doc saw no need to curtail my exercise so I got in an hour on the trainer when I got home. My wife thought I was nuts but I actually had my best session in a couple of weeks. I don't know, maybe I was still buzzed.
2011-03-17 5:20 AM
in reply to: #3401390

User image

Bronze member

popsracer - 2011-03-17 12:31 AM Well today was an interesting day. After a swim during lunch I was heading over to a meeting and felt some chest pain, got sweaty, dizzy. Was near the E/R so paced around for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I really needed to go in or not. Started to really feel lousy with an elevated heart rate, I'm usually 45 bpm resting and I was about 80, so I went in just to be on the safe side. Was probably a combination of chest wall muscle tightness and stress because with some relaxation type drugs my heart rate and blood pressure fell back down. Funny the alarms go off if below 50 bpm and I was back in the 40's so they sent me home. They ran an EKG and some lab tests to confirm my heart was fine. So I got a nice little drug induced rest through the afternoon. Doc saw no need to curtail my exercise so I got in an hour on the trainer when I got home. My wife thought I was nuts but I actually had my best session in a couple of weeks. I don't know, maybe I was still buzzed.

Geez pops, that's kind of scary. That's really smart of you to stop and get yourself checked out though. Glad everything turned out fine. And a great workout on top of it LOL! Only a triathlete...

2011-03-17 5:29 AM
in reply to: #3401383

User image

Bronze member
popsracer - 2011-03-17 12:15 AM
trigal38 - 2011-03-16 9:36 PM

I know how you feel. For me its the bike that is causing me discomfort and the long rides just haven't been happening. I'm trying to make up for it by adding an extra short ride in the week. There is a lot to be said for the fitness you gain through consistency and frequency. While building longs runs is a great idea I think you can still do well by lots of medium length runs. I did my half marathon last week after just a 6 mile long run.

I know what can help you get excited about your long rides - a nice shiny new bike

I really think your right about the consistency thing. I might just taper off around an hour and a half and leave it at that. I just don't have a background in distance running so I keep thinking I need to nail every long run. My outlook is a little better today. I was afraid my bad ankle was going to be a mess today but it feels pretty good so that gives me a little hope. I have been a runner for years (like 17 or 18) but every time I get up around 10 miles my body starts to breakdown. It's hard to see the vision of me getting to the distance without injury. A bit of a mental game.

2011-03-17 7:43 AM

Expert
Ah, I had a  misconception of your running.  So you enjoyed it for 17-18 years or you just did it?  I hardly ever do anymore but throw some music in if you're in a rut!  Pops- That is scary but good of you to check.  80 is like my resting! It's also the bike that gets me...though I've planned an 80mi ride for saturday.  I need a shiny new bike!
2011-03-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3398768

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
ShawnR - 2011-03-15 12:28 PM

I don't post here much but had such a great experience in the pool today,

The workout today, Week 3 was the 4x500. It is usually a tough one for me. I decided to try TI today
I finished first 100, thinking I feel pretty good. I then finished 1st 500 and heart rate was not much above a walking pace rate. Time was about 1 minute slower than the last time I did a 500 but I could hardly catch my breath then.

4 x 500 went very well. Times were a little slower than before but I think there might be somethingto this..... Can hardly wait to get back to pool to try again

My traditional swimming technique is always hard.

As Terry comments, if you are going for sprint distances, this might not be for you but if you are going distance and want to feel good after, then this is a very efficient style.

Shawn
I'm most gratified that you returned to swimming with a sense of purpose and a willingness to try a more patient, thoughtful form of practice, as an alternative to grinding through repeats with what you refer to as "traditional technique."

Swimming the same way is simply incapable of making any substantial difference in your swimming. By definition all it can do is make your existing habits more durable.

The only way to foster improvement is *something about your practice must be different*.

You've chosen one of the simpler routes -- specific thoughts and sensations to use as reference points as you swim the 500s, in place of simply counting laps. As modest as that change was, it showed a clear benefit in sustainability. Even if it didn't make you faster immediately, it would facilitate a real improvement in your cycling and running pace after the swim.

The more important benefit is that you're more enthused about swimming as a result of this encouraging experience. The only plea I see about swimming on this forum with equal frequency to "How do I get faster?" is "How do I overcome the tedium?"

On another point, I have indeed said that the style we advocate -- longer strokes at a lower rate, emphasizing drag-avoidance more than propulsion, hip-driven rather than arm-driven -- is less suitable for sprints. I meant sprint SWIMMING (i.e. 100m in a pool). It is wholly suitable for sprint TRI-SWIMMING (400-800m in open water or pool).

And for ANY distance . . . in ANY body of water . . . for ANY "adult-onset swimmer."

Happy laps,
Terry

Edited by Total Immersion 2011-03-17 8:15 AM

2011-03-17 3:25 PM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
RPE v's HRM he plan provides a rpe v hr scale but is this % of MHR or is it using LT zones?
2011-03-17 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3401377

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
popsracer - 2011-03-17 12:55 AM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-03-16 6:17 PM

What's up there cheeky? You were doing great. I think most people run through spells where it is just tough to get going. Its a long haul to get through the program but I can assure you crossing that finish line is so worth it. Few things in life will feel so rewarding. You should be pretty well rested which is a good thing and you can build off of that. Let us know how you do tomorrow.

I think I am just in a funk. As you say, I should be well rested now. I plan on getting my butt in gear tomorrow and get back at it. I know it will be fantastic to cross the finish line and have the feeling of accomplishment.

I CAN"T believe you did a workout after a trip to the ER??!! Makes my whiny little complaints seem like I really need to HTFU. Now THAT is a triathlete.

2011-03-17 10:53 PM
in reply to: #3401390

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

popsracer - 2011-03-16 10:31 PM Well today was an interesting day. After a swim during lunch I was heading over to a meeting and felt some chest pain, got sweaty, dizzy. Was near the E/R so paced around for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I really needed to go in or not. Started to really feel lousy with an elevated heart rate, I'm usually 45 bpm resting and I was about 80, so I went in just to be on the safe side. Was probably a combination of chest wall muscle tightness and stress because with some relaxation type drugs my heart rate and blood pressure fell back down. Funny the alarms go off if below 50 bpm and I was back in the 40's so they sent me home. They ran an EKG and some lab tests to confirm my heart was fine. So I got a nice little drug induced rest through the afternoon. Doc saw no need to curtail my exercise so I got in an hour on the trainer when I got home. My wife thought I was nuts but I actually had my best session in a couple of weeks. I don't know, maybe I was still buzzed.

VERY smart move to go in and make sure you were okay!  I am glad that all is well.  I can't believe you jumped on the bike later!  haha 

2011-03-17 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

DONE with the last long run before the big day!  Woot!  Had to ride 30 min then throw on my shoes and run 2 hours.  I have been dreading this workout.  I did it!  Yay! I am a slow runner, but for me my time was great!!  (I averaged 9:30min miles-I know that is hardly jogging for most of you, but for me that is fast. haha.)  Aside from a slight discomfort in my knees here or there, I felt strong. 

The only thing is after my long runs I feel really nauseous.  Does anyone else get that?  Any ideas how to keep my stomache from getting so upset?

Just one more big workout left in the plan...a 3 hour bike ride on Saturday.  I am leaving town to Vegas tomorrow and will bring my bike along.  Anyone know of a good place to ride out there?

2011-03-18 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

I'm in need of some advice/reality check here.  Looking ahead, there's a race at end of week 7 I'd like to run at the 50Lite distance (Sw .8, B 40.4 run 8.8). However, that week is the single longest week based on hours and it would be foolish to train that hard and then race for over 4 hours on Saturday.  Week 6 (last week of Base 3) is also a recovery week.  I know that it makes no sense to swap weeks 6 and 7 because then I'd be hitting Week 5 (the 1st Build week) with a heavy training debt from the prior week. 

The other option is to bag the 50Lite and run the shorter sprint race.  But, having only run one Oly previously I'd like to get another longer distance race under the belt before my HIM "A" race seven weeks later.

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

2011-03-18 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3403019

Expert
akrenik - 2011-03-17 11:00 PM

DONE with the last long run before the big day!  Woot!  Had to ride 30 min then throw on my shoes and run 2 hours.  I have been dreading this workout.  I did it!  Yay! I am a slow runner, but for me my time was great!!  (I averaged 9:30min miles-I know that is hardly jogging for most of you, but for me that is fast. haha.)  Aside from a slight discomfort in my knees here or there, I felt strong. 

The only thing is after my long runs I feel really nauseous.  Does anyone else get that?  Any ideas how to keep my stomache from getting so upset?

Just one more big workout left in the plan...a 3 hour bike ride on Saturday.  I am leaving town to Vegas tomorrow and will bring my bike along.  Anyone know of a good place to ride out there?

Awesome, nice job! You're getting incredibly close.  I don't get nauseous when running regularly, but a few things that I know of can do it.

1.  You're pushing too hard-this is the only time i reaally get nauseous running but I don't think this is it for you

2. You're not hydrated enough

3. You ate too much or too little before the workout--if you feel weak in a routine run this is likely.  I think its something to do with blood sugar levels.

That's about what I can think of... is it a head rush you get? Where are you looking when you run? If you look down and then straight up this can cause this pretty damn easily.  I'd say make sure to think about those 3, exhale fully, and look straight ahead

2011-03-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3403161

Expert
JoePetto - 2011-03-18 7:20 AM

I'm in need of some advice/reality check here.  Looking ahead, there's a race at end of week 7 I'd like to run at the 50Lite distance (Sw .8, B 40.4 run 8.8). However, that week is the single longest week based on hours and it would be foolish to train that hard and then race for over 4 hours on Saturday.  Week 6 (last week of Base 3) is also a recovery week.  I know that it makes no sense to swap weeks 6 and 7 because then I'd be hitting Week 5 (the 1st Build week) with a heavy training debt from the prior week. 

The other option is to bag the 50Lite and run the shorter sprint race.  But, having only run one Oly previously I'd like to get another longer distance race under the belt before my HIM "A" race seven weeks later.

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

I'd do it.  Take it easy that thursday (maybe make the run 30 not 90) and swap saturday for sunday where you are going to do a good brick anyways.  If you end up with some extra hours because thats like a 4.5 or 5 hour race no big deal, then adjust for next week based on how you feel.  Treat it like a hard training day and dont kill yourself.

You're smart to do this...my HIM is my first tri!

2011-03-18 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Akrenic,

Congrats on the brick with the long run. You're going to do great in your race!

2011-03-18 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3403229

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-03-18 8:09 AM

Akrenic,

Congrats on the brick with the long run. You're going to do great in your race!

Loving the new thumbnail brah!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150