BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-02-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3341427

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
stephsprint - 2011-02-06 10:34 AM Ran 7.35 with my spousal unit this morning. It's starting to feel "right" again...bit by bit, less coughing, less walking... YAY!

Grats on the run Smile

2011-02-06 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Couple of running questions for everyone.

1) Last two days of running my ankles (more so the right one) have started hurting after about 3/4 of a mile.  It's been tough to keep running.  Afterwards the fronts of both ankles feel bruised throughout the whole day.  Didn't run any extreme amount either time and today I started out very slow just in case I was going too fast starting out on Saturday.  Had it initially when I started running due to heel striking but nothing for the last month or so. Any ideas on what could be causing this??

2) Also the last two days after running my face has been extremely red.  Would this be due to overheating?  It was 30 both days when running and I had to remove layers while running but still was wearing the cold weather tights.

Thank you for any insights.

2011-02-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3342271

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
GmrGirl - 2011-02-06 9:16 PM

1) Last two days of running my ankles (more so the right one) have started hurting after about 3/4 of a mile.  It's been tough to keep running.  Afterwards the fronts of both ankles feel bruised throughout the whole day.  Didn't run any extreme amount either time and today I started out very slow just in case I was going too fast starting out on Saturday.  Had it initially when I started running due to heel striking but nothing for the last month or so. Any ideas on what could be causing this??

2) Also the last two days after running my face has been extremely red.  Would this be due to overheating?  It was 30 both days when running and I had to remove layers while running but still was wearing the cold weather tights.

1. not sure about the ankles...
2. Are you hot, or is it possible that it is just cold weather windburn (time of year and all)?
2011-02-06 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I did a 6 mile run outside tonight... not bad weather, but I guess I forgot about all the snow we had for past couple of days.  Got slushed by more than one car, too much snow and not much room for them to go around.  The thing about snow... it melts... in March
2011-02-06 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Dunno.  Windchill has been brutal over here 40 miles to the east.  Ankle pain could me lots of things.  How many miles are on your shoes?  They suggest no more than 300.  Also, swimming loosens up the ankles.  Gotta be careful.  But first guess is the shoes.  There is a great cycling/she store over here.  Vitesse/Often Running on Linden in Normal.  They really know their shoes.  If you go, ask for Mitch, DG or Clint but anyone of them is good.  The guys know me.  Tell them IceMan sent you. 

2011-02-06 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Suzanne,

I guess even us experienced athletes sometimes make stupid training decisions.  Glad you're OK.  (I say this after today's 10-miler and I didn't take my phone, food, or liquid.   I'll rarely eat/drink anything even for a 10-13 mile winter run, but I'll usually carry my phone in the winter.)

All,

I'll be off-site Monday, Tuesday, and Friday this week.  Monday and Tuesday are 90 miles away, so I've got about 3 hours of commuting in addition to the work day, so I don't expect to be online much to mentor/inspire everyone this week.  (You'll survive without me.

2011-02-07 4:57 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-02-06 10:16 PM

I think it's pretty impossible to do this without some pain. Lots of good suggestions here about shoes. Start there. For me it's about strengthening things, usually. Stretching and rubbing and stretching some more. I have pain in my right foot and ankle often. Sometimes at the same time sometimes separately. I ice, warm up properly, stretch... rub it during the day. Scrunch my toes a lot while sitting and walking to strengthen the ball of foot and arch. ::sigh:: I bought the books and read and read and did the work. Ice some more. Since I'm a beginner I made sure I had the right shoes, 2 pair. I hope you sort yours out quickly, but in the meantime... Ice, stretch, warm up, cool down etc.

2011-02-07 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3342454

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
stephsprint - 2011-02-07 5:57 AM
GmrGirl - 2011-02-06 10:16 PM

I think it's pretty impossible to do this without some pain. Lots of good suggestions here about shoes. Start there. For me it's about strengthening things, usually. Stretching and rubbing and stretching some more. I have pain in my right foot and ankle often. Sometimes at the same time sometimes separately. I ice, warm up properly, stretch... rub it during the day. Scrunch my toes a lot while sitting and walking to strengthen the ball of foot and arch. ::sigh:: I bought the books and read and read and did the work. Ice some more. Since I'm a beginner I made sure I had the right shoes, 2 pair. I hope you sort yours out quickly, but in the meantime... Ice, stretch, warm up, cool down etc.

I would watch the swimming as well. When I first started swimming and I was doing it alot my right ankle esp felt really weak and sore like I sprained it. I even had to stop swimming during a class and get out b/c it hurt so bad. Also check the shoes, older shoes start to hurt my feet....
2011-02-07 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I can't help with any suggestions about running in the extreme cold you've been having, but I might have an idea regarding your ankles.  When I first started training for marathons and my miles started to get past any distance I had ever run before, my ankle area started to hurt.  It wasn't the ankle itself, but the muscle/tendon right above the ankle.  I overpronate a bit (and have the appropriate shoe for that problem), and believe the pain was from that issue stretching those muscles/tendons.  As my long distance fitness improved, the problem resolved.
2011-02-07 9:15 AM

User image

Elite
Good morning everyone! Have a great training week! 
2011-02-07 10:14 AM

February Goals:

1.  Attempt to break the 250lbs barrier-current weight 254

2.  Run 30 miles this month-get as close to 10min miles as I can

I am going away to Florida this week.  I am looking forward to the nice weather and running outside for the first time since October.  I may enter a local 5k in the community we are visiting. 

Does anyone ever experience the, "I do not want to train for a couple of days blues" but not really have a reason why not to train?  I have felt like that the last 10 days or so, but still tried to maintain some training time.  Mostly the loss of motivation to strength train-never had that problem before, but now that the weight is coming off quickly I am fearful that the heavy strength training will regress the progress I have made thus far.  Maybe some surf, sun, and fun will cure the blues.

Have a great training week everyone!

2011-02-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3342895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
infu5229 - 2011-02-07 10:14 AM February Goals:

I am going away to Florida this week.  I am looking forward to the nice weather and running outside for the first time since October.  I may enter a local 5k in the community we are visiting. 

Does anyone ever experience the, "I do not want to train for a couple of days blues" but not really have a reason why not to train?  I have felt like that the last 10 days or so, but still tried to maintain some training time.  Mostly the loss of motivation to strength train-never had that problem before, but now that the weight is coming off quickly I am fearful that the heavy strength training will regress the progress I have made thus far.  Maybe some surf, sun, and fun will cure the blues.

Lots of thing effect morale.  Over training.  Undernourishment.  Not enough sleep.  And you are right, long winters.  I've been taught never be afraid of taking an extra day off if your body is telling you need one. Just get restarted as soon as you can.  Also, it doesn't hurt, I've found, to verbalize why you are doing this.  Talk about your goals to someone who understands and will be supportive. Write them down. Tell us here.  Make it real.  Have fun in Fla.  

2011-02-07 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3342895

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
infu5229 - 2011-02-07 11:14 AM February Goals:

The strength training will only help with your weight. Keep it up! Maybe you just need a little sun!
2011-02-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3342910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
IceManScott - 2011-02-07 10:22 AM

Lots of thing effect morale.  Over training.  Undernourishment.  Not enough sleep.  And you are right, long winters.  I've been taught never be afraid of taking an extra day off if your body is telling you need one. Just get restarted as soon as you can.  Also, it doesn't hurt, I've found, to verbalize why you are doing this.  Talk about your goals to someone who understands and will be supportive. Write them down. Tell us here.  Make it real.  Have fun in Fla.  

I do have a question.  Why "heavy" strength training.  Unless they've added a competition I don't know of, strentgth training beyond a certian point just adds bulk muscle that is heavy and you must carry around on a bike. Moderate weight, higher reps is best.  I know cops who do this stuff who used to be into power lifting who reshaped their bodies to be lean mean fighting machines rather than have a lot of muscle they never use.  As my coach says, strength training yes, but the right strength training.

2011-02-07 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3343509

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
IceManScott - 2011-02-07 2:34 PM

I do have a question.  Why "heavy" strength training.  Unless they've added a competition I don't know of, strentgth training beyond a certian point just adds bulk muscle that is heavy and you must carry around on a bike. Moderate weight, higher reps is best.  I know cops who do this stuff who used to be into power lifting who reshaped their bodies to be lean mean fighting machines rather than have a lot of muscle they never use.  As my coach says, strength training yes, but the right strength training.

I agree with Ice...  Strength good (makes you go faster)... Bulk bad (slows you down)...  Sometimes being a triahtlete is not about how fast you can go, but lets face the truth here, a triathlon is still a race and the ultimate goal is to get done as fast as possible.

My coach has me on a limited amount of strength training (like 20 minutes 1-2 days a week) but he is pretty clear with me, that I should only do light weight with high reps, not heavy weights.  The ultimate goal is to be lean.

As for feeling like not training, I think everyone can empathise in February.  I am finding it very tough to "want" to go to the gym...  I promise as race season gets closer it gets easier to stay excited.  For now, I just have to make myself go.  As Kim says "What makes the engine go?  Desire"  I desire to be in the best shape of my life by race day... and ready or not, that day is ever approaching.
2011-02-07 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I agree with Josh on that.

2011-02-07 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3343776

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-07 4:29 PM
IceManScott - 2011-02-07 2:34 PM

I agree with Ice...  Strength good (makes you go faster)... Bulk bad (slows you down)...  Sometimes being a triahtlete is not about how fast you can go, but lets face the truth here, a triathlon is still a race and the ultimate goal is to get done as fast as possible.

My coach has me on a limited amount of strength training (like 20 minutes 1-2 days a week) but he is pretty clear with me, that I should only do light weight with high reps, not heavy weights.  The ultimate goal is to be lean.

As for feeling like not training, I think everyone can empathise in February.  I am finding it very tough to "want" to go to the gym...  I promise as race season gets closer it gets easier to stay excited.  For now, I just have to make myself go.  As Kim says "What makes the engine go?  Desire"  I desire to be in the best shape of my life by race day... and ready or not, that day is ever approaching.

I like the goals.  Be aware that running outside in Florida might be a bit of a shock on the system, so take it easy. 

As for motivation/morale, you're still quite a ways away from your race goal and the days are still short and cold, so it's easy to be a bit unmotivated, particularly if you're just making the lifestyle changes (I've been doing this for 5 years, so it's just "what I do" ).  Stick with it.  Some days, once you get 10 minutes into the workout, it gets a lot easier.  Other days, call it a day. 

As for the weights/strength.  That's up to you.  If you're coming from a lifting background and want to continue that lifestyle (and you like the look), keep it up.  You might be faster without the bulk, but there's nothing wrong with giving up some speed for other life priorities.  (I sacrifice speed for cookies.
2011-02-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3344165

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

As for the weights/strength.  That's up to you.  If you're coming from a lifting background and want to continue that lifestyle (and you like the look), keep it up.  You might be faster without the bulk, but there's nothing wrong with giving up some speed for other life priorities.  (I sacrifice speed for cookies.

Thin Mints (girl scout cookies)
2011-02-08 3:22 AM
in reply to: #3344205

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-07 10:27 PM

Thin Mints (girl scout cookies)

I sacrifice speed for alcohol... Or I did untill it become my prerace fuel of choice last year, and I got faster...  weird... Tongue out
2011-02-08 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Ok, new nutrition plan - Thin Mints washed down with alcohol. 

JK, I'm alcoholic, if I drank I'd never find the starting line and if I did, I'd never find the finish line.  And my wife would drive me out into the country, dig a hole and bury me.   22 years clean and sober.

And the Thin Mints?  A guy once said abstinence is easier than moderation for a man prone to overindulgence.  He had me in mind.   Ones too many, a thousand are not enough.

By all means I agree, we do these things for a lot of reasons.  If someone likes the one portion over another, heavy weights over high reps, have at it.   It's all about personal goals.  My own mind set coming from 400 pounds to 200 is about trying to get lean and stay that way while getting stronger.  Whatever I say it comes from that perspective.  I want to go really fast on a bike and I want my legs to stay useful for many years to come.  Less weight is good.

Today I learned again little things make a huge difference.  My swim coach has been making lots of smaller adjustments that seem to be making big improvements.  Today was to imagine myself throwing a shot put as i bring my arm out of the water and forward.  It bought more forward force, a better catch and an easier pull by rotating over my arm rather than trying to pull it back.  More core, less arm = more endurance.  Times can down again.  Really cool.

Bike SEs tonight.

2011-02-08 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Just checking in to say HI EVERYONE! I wrote a long response to every ones postings from the last few days and then my computer froze and I lost it, cant deal with rewriting, argue! But lets just say, thinking of all of you...

Have a great week!

2011-02-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3344625

User image

Elite

Corncub - 2011-02-08 8:43 AM Just checking in to say HI EVERYONE! I wrote a long response to every ones postings from the last few days and then my computer froze and I lost it, cant deal with rewriting, argue! But lets just say, thinking of all of you...

Have a great week!

It's the thought that counts!  I'm sure you gave us all good advice! Laughing

This morning I did a 38 mile trainer ride...longest ride to date, both on the trainer and off!  Felt good but the booty muscles are feeling it!

2011-02-08 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Good morning everyone. I know my responses are lax and I apologise for that. It's just that most of the time I check the forum on my IPOD and it's hard to scroll through everything..but now I have some time at work in the am to respond, but I never know what I'm talking about, so I'll just say congrats, good work, keep it up and never stop :-D

I have a question about bike cleaning..  I am terrible when it comes to that. I mean I really am. It's probably just as well I don't have kids lol   Anyway, I did manage to change my own tyre and my own brake pads, the 1st time in 3 years..it was so hard to change those out. Never again.   Anyway, back to cleaning my bike. How do you do it? What do you use for all the moving parts??  Any tips would be great.  I'm a complete expert now and taking on and off the rear tyre. I always had trouble setting the chain correctly but after a few attempts I nailed it. I'm also going to a bike maintenance class at REI in March.   I feel like a dumb arse for waiting so long to do this. Urgh.

2011-02-08 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Simple Green for the frame.

Moving parts, you will get a lot of answers.  I spray WD 40 on the chain at the back of the cassette where the chain turns down as I turn the crank.  Then I shift the chain through all the gears.  Then I wipe a cloth over the cassette as if I were buffing a shoe.  Then I hold the cloth around the chain and turn the crank.  Oil is now gone, chain and cassette are clean.  Then I dribble my chain oil on the chain at the same place as I turn the crank.  Then shift it through the gears.  Then wipe off the chain the same way.    There are other ways.  Some will scream about WD 40, but other mechanics swear by it.  Works for me.  Just don't be spraying it helter skelter all over the wheel hub.  
2011-02-08 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Triathlynne - I love your new Avatar!!! makes me jeolous as I would love to get outside with my bike - sigh...

As for cleaning the bike, I use a very tiny bit of car wash soap and a sponge.  No wd40, but yes on the chain grease.  They also make special brushes for cleaning the chain and cassettes - they look kind of likel ong, narrow toothbrushes and work great. You probably can't go too wrong with whatever you do, but definately wipe the excess chain grease off!

Iceman - awesome news on the swim!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106