BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2011-12-07 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED

Congratulations Marcia, well deserved!!

And congrats to everyone else in the group on an incredible year. I really enjoyed following everybody as they worked toward their goals this season. Lots of inspiring stuff from a really great group of people. I look forward to following everyone again next year.

2011-12-07 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3929903

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Bobby, thanks again for mentoring, inspiring and encouraging us...but most of all making the journey a little bit funner.  From "Setting Goals", to "Monthly Themes" to "Triathlete of the Year" award....it was fun!!

X a bunch on this^^^^^^^^ Stated perfectly!!

And thanks for taking the time to give me a ton of great insight and advice to get me through some of the local races w/out making a complete fool of myself(Mighty Hamptons transitions not withstanding, I take full responsibility for that )

Edited by Sammeg 2011-12-07 1:55 PM
2011-12-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3929618

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-07 11:50 AM

Yeah, so I'm not a fan of ties.  In triathlon races there is no such thing.  So I had to find a tie-breaker.  I had to.  I measured all aspects of heart, determination, grit, juggling family, kids, work ... and still.  A stinkin' tie!! 

So ultimately it came down 'going back to the basics'.  I went all the way back to Page 1 and read both athlete's intial post introducing themselves and boldy posting what their specific goals were.  Both athlete's posted their goals, and then even set another goal later that they both accomplished.  So both athletes succesfully set goals and through pure guts and determination accomplished those goals.  So the slimmest of margins tie-breaker came down to: who posted their specific goal first... 

And the winner of the DREAM CHASER'S Set a Goal and Capture it Mentor Group Triathlete of the Year Award goes to, Marcia!!! 

Marcia was the first member to join the group.  She has been an active consistent member.  Her Attitude has been superb.  Her original goal was not to a measley Canadien Metric Century - but an American 100-mile Century.  On the Century Ride she faced many dark times, and had the option of calling quits at the Metric Century marker.  BUT SHE DIDN'T.  She dug deep and she accomplished her goal.  It was Marcia vs.  Herself.  And she didn't quitShe won against herself. 

This feat alone would have put her in the running for the award.  But would not have been enough to take the 1st Place title.  Mid-season, then signing up for Muskoka 70.3 -- one of the most challenging, hilly 70.3's around; commiting to tackling it and putting in all the necessary work, and then battling though and crossing that tape after 70.3 miles of sbr'ing was just awe-inspiring. 

So Marcia, here is your well-deserved trophy.  It's so big, you can't move it so you'll just have to settle on visiting it, or seeing it in this picture.  

I'd like to award Rene a very well-deserved, uber-close 2nd Place!!  Like Marcia, you were also a consistently active mentor member, very positive, motivating to me and all the others.  To be honest, you whipped my a$$ but good at both the Ironman and Marathon distance.  And if you ever start your own Mentor Group, I'd love to be a mentee under you.  Loved reading your blog all year, and you just really set it on fire with all your tremendous training and equally tremendous results. 

You started the year off with plantar fascitis and were able to successfully accept suggestions from other members, and as a result you were able to train through and recover from it.   And not just recover but go on to ROCK your first Ironman with a sick-awesome time; and then go on to Boston Qualify at a Fall Marathon!  Congratulations on a breakout 2011 season.

Rene, dude, You Are the Man!!

Thanks to all the members.   Stay tuned for my personal year-end wrap-up and a new annoucement of next years group.  

DC, very well done and thanks for keeping us motivated and smiling for the entire year. As one year ends, another year of possibilities begins!
2011-12-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3929975

User image

kimmax - 2011-12-07 2:40 PM
RunRene - 2011-12-07 2:06 PM

Bobby,

Thank you for the kind words!! 

This year was definitely a breakout year for me!  As you know...even though I am the one who crossed the finish line at these races,  I couldn't have done it without family, friends and you all!! Bobby, thanks again for mentoring, inspiring and encouraging us...but most of all making the journey a little bit funner.  From "Setting Goals", to "Monthly Themes" to "Triathlete of the Year" award....it was fun!!

Cheers to EVERYONE for a great season!!!  Enjoy your off season!....we deserve it!

Ahhh gee shucks!  Thanks Bobby.  Holy crap!  I can't believe I beat the pants of IRONMAN RENE!!!  Probably the first and last time ha ha

And ditto ^^ on what Rene said.  There are times when you doubt yourself and having a group supporting you through those times - having confidence in me when I had little - it definitely helped me reach some of those goals.  And it was REALLY fun!!!  Hoping everyone joins the same group next time!

Just curious - where and what is that statue thingy?  Is that Sydney, AU?

That's the 5 meter tall Telstra Premiership replica Trophy.  It was taken out on Sydney Harbour past iconic ports and scenes including the ANZAC Bridge, the Sydney Opera House and the famous Luna Park face.  That's what the web page says

2011-12-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3930013

User image

Sammeg - 2011-12-07 2:53 PM

Bobby, thanks again for mentoring, inspiring and encouraging us...but most of all making the journey a little bit funner.  From "Setting Goals", to "Monthly Themes" to "Triathlete of the Year" award....it was fun!!

And thanks for taking the time to give me a ton of great insight and advice to get me through some of the local races w/out making a complete fool of myself(Mighty Hamptons transitions not withstanding, I take full responsibility for that )

It pains me to see you even call 'that' transitioning!!!   It's more like "standing around for five minutes and bs'ing with another guy commenting on how he too sucks at transition!!!!"    I've driven to Starbucks, ordered a venti caramel machiatto, sipped the foam slowly, gotten home and finished drinking it before you were out of transition!! 

2011-12-07 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3930085

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-07 3:43 PM

It pains me to see you even call 'that' transitioning!!!   It's more like "standing around for five minutes and bs'ing with another guy commenting on how he too sucks at transition!!!!"    I've driven to Starbucks, ordered a venti caramel machiatto, sipped the foam slowly, gotten home and finished drinking it before you were out of transition!! 

Too funny!!!

2011-12-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3930106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
tdl1972 - 2011-12-07 3:58 PM

Too funny!!!

Hey Man!!! That would hurt if it wasn't totally and completely true...Except for the venti caramel machiatto thing, I don't kow what the hell that is!!

2011-12-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3930263

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Sammeg - 2011-12-07 6:09 PM

Too funny!!!

Hey Man!!! That would hurt if it wasn't totally and completely true...Except for the venti caramel machiatto thing, I don't kow what the hell that is!!

Figures Bobby would be ordering that foo foo crap.  Cool

Back to lurking...

2011-12-08 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3928478

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 2:55 PM

Ah David

A little bit of a delay folks.  My wife was driving last night and a herd of about 8 deer ran out into the road and into my wife's van!!  Thank God my wife and daughter are okay.  One of the deer is dead and boy did our Sienna MiniVan do itself proud protecting my family and taking it on the chin.  Totally took the hit.  So scary.  They hit my wife and daughter's door.  Wife went to the hospital but was released within a few hours.  The new announcement date will be tomorrow at 11 AM.  Stay-tuned.

Wow...glad your wife and daughter are OK.  I've hit a deer before and luckily it was just a grazing blow and little damage to the car and just scared the crap out of the deer.  Glad your minivan stood up to the challenge!
2011-12-08 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congratulations Marcia and Renee!!!

Your journeys have been inspirational, and it's been a pleasure to train and race vicariously through you.  Smile

2011-12-08 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3930013

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

X like a million...and Bobby you are NOT getting me with any stupid April Fool's joke next year!!

2011-12-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3930263

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Sammeg - 2011-12-07 6:09 PM

Too funny!!!

Don't worry about not know Ted, I have a coworker who told me that's just how people from some parts of Long Island order their coffee.  

2011-12-08 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

HUGE congrats to Marcia and just-slightly-not-quite-as-big congrats to Rene on their awards and successes throughout the year!!!

As I flitted in and out of participating with the group for a variety of reasons, I don't know if I ever truly thanked everyone for the wonderful group.  From Bobby on down the line, I learned a great deal about the time and dedication needed to succeed, how to set goals and achieve them as well as how to enjoy the journey and do it all with humor.

Even though I have a baby coming in January, I think I have finally gotten the (relatively) new job situation under control and look forward to finally putting what I have learned into practice and joining you all achieving great things in Honey Badger and Dream Chaser's Set a Goal, Capture It & Kill That S#!T Mentor Group (or something like that) in 2012!  

2011-12-08 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
WA

This is not Triathlon related....off topic...but worth sharing.  Smile

Top Five Regrets of The Dying

By Bonnie Ware

For many years I worked in palliative care.

My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared.

I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives.

People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality. I learnt never to underestimate someone’s capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.

When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late.

Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.

This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.

Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called ‘comfort’ of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.

When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.

------------------------------------------

Unrelated to the text above a friend forwarded this video to me, it is worth a watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgadTcVu60&sns=fb

....and here is something funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbVpAwGGGs

Have a GREAT day!

2011-12-09 7:29 AM

User image

Great Post, Rene.  Thanks!  I think many of us on this site can relate to these lessons, and this is why we do triathlon - to live life to the fullest!! 

Over the years, I've listened to quite a few men express their greatest regret was not spending enough time with their children during the early years.  This was my sole reason for not accepting a management position in my current company three years ago.  It was career-suicide turning down a promotion, but it allows me to work from home and put my children on and off the bus every day, attend all of their school functions, and spend lots of time with them.  It also allows me to train triathlon while they are at school!!  Otherwise, if I had accepted that position, I would be gone from 7AM in the morning till 8PM everynight.  I make a lot less money, and my kids do drive me crazzzzy; but when I am old and grey, the money won't matter and I'll have many treasured memories that are priceless.  

2011-12-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3932206

User image

Master
TORONTO
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-09 8:29 AM

Great Post, Rene.  Thanks!  I think many of us on this site can relate to these lessons, and this is why we do triathlon - to live life to the fullest!! 

Over the years, I've listened to quite a few men express their greatest regret was not spending enough time with their children during the early years.  This was my sole reason for not accepting a management position in my current company three years ago.  It was career-suicide turning down a promotion, but it allows me to work from home and put my children on and off the bus every day, attend all of their school functions, and spend lots of time with them.  It also allows me to train triathlon while they are at school!!  Otherwise, if I had accepted that position, I would be gone from 7AM in the morning till 8PM everynight.  I make a lot less money, and my kids do drive me crazzzzy; but when I am old and grey, the money won't matter and I'll have many treasured memories that are priceless.  

Totally agree with all of the post.  Funny because I made different choices than Bobby but for the same reason.  I used to be self employed which meant a lot of evening and weekend work (no I wasn't a hooker!) which was fine when my daughter was little - I could just keep her home if I needed a Mommy&Miya day but as she got older she started complaining that I was never around and I couldn't keep her home as much so... I got a full time 8-5 job with benefits so that I wouldn't have to work evening and weekends.  I feel as though I work way more hours for less pay but the quality time we have with one another is fantastic so no regrets.  One day she won't need me as much and I can do whatever I want but I'm happy that day isn't for a while to come. 

It's a balance - there were times when I resented the triathlon training because while I loved it - I felt guilty when away from the family.  I think it's about letting the little things go so you can enjoy the other.  So ya - that load of laundry can wait to be folded another 1/2 hour so I can read with her or play a game.

Life is short people!!!  Gotta make it count!

Edited by kimmax 2011-12-09 8:21 AM

2011-12-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3932248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2011-12-09 9:16 AM

Totally agree with all of the post.  Funny because I made different choices than Bobby but for the same reason.  I used to be self employed which meant a lot of evening and weekend work (no I wasn't a hooker!) which was fine when my daughter was little - I could just keep her home if I needed a Mommy&Miya day but as she got older she started complaining that I was never around and I couldn't keep her home as much so... I got a full time 8-5 job with benefits so that I wouldn't have to work evening and weekends.  I feel as though I work way more hours for less pay but the quality time we have with one another is fantastic so no regrets.  One day she won't need me as much and I can do whatever I want but I'm happy that day isn't for a while to come. 

It's a balance - there were times when I resented the triathlon training because while I loved it - I felt guilty when away from the family.  I think it's about letting the little things go so you can enjoy the other.  So ya - that load of laundry can wait to be folded another 1/2 hour so I can read with her or play a game.

Life is short people!!!  Gotta make it count!

Funny, seems we're all of like mind. As a result of 9/11 my wife lost her job as a Marketing Director. My girls were just babies so we made the decision that we would take the significant financial hit and she would stay home with them. Best decision we ever made. I have alot of responsibility and pressure in my job but I also get a buttload of time off that allows me to be at all my kids things. I don't believe I've missed even one event they've had in soccer/basketball/swimming. We're VERY fortunate.

I've been converting all my miniDV tapes to AVI's the last coupla weeks and in watching them I realized how much we did with them which really makes me feel good. Whenever they ask me to do something with them at a time that's inconvenient I tell myself this: A day will come when they will no longer ask me to do these things and I will wish they still did. Then I happily spend as much time as I can with them.

No second chances.

2011-12-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3932206

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

DC, as usual, you are spot on. Enjoy every moment with your kids and family, because they grow up too quickly. Should you choose, you will have plenty of years to toss yourself wholeheartedly into corporate America and climb the ladder. I have been there...it is overrated. It really takes a toll on your tri training as well! So the next time your kids are driving you absolutely nuts, take a deep breath, and pull them close for a big hug and smile.

Interesting reading the last couple of posts. I can also say that I have sacrificed training opportunities over the past years to travel to hoop tournaments or to attend various events for my kids. I would often beat myself up for not finding a way to get the training in, but in the end, I always knew that I was making the right decsion. I say that I find the last couple of posts interesting. How ironic that a number of type A triathletes actually "get it". Kids, family, balance...it would be so easy to tip the scales in the other direction, which I know many people do. It really speaks to the character of some of the folks in this group...IMHO.

Edited by gatjr33 2011-12-09 3:06 PM
2011-12-12 9:31 AM

User image

Here's an idea for next year:  instead of Occupy Wall Street; how about:  Occupy Mentor Program Archives.  Let me elaborate...

In 2012 I want to take my training up a notch and I'm going to be focusing on an entrepeneurial work venture, so my time is going to be limited and my fatigue will be high.  In short, I won't have the time, patience, or desire to run another Mentor Group including new members.  But I love this group.  We all know each other.  So why don't we simply stay where we (occupy the archives) and in January state our 2012 goals and do this again? 

For those who want to opt out, please don't feel guilty.  If you want something new and exciting.  I totally understand.  Or, for those who want to take a year off or just don't want to participate, that's cool too.

But everyone, please let me know your thoughts so it will be clear if we will either disband, or stay together for another year.  Good idea, or lame idea.  Let me know your thoughts!!  

2011-12-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3934932

User image

Master
TORONTO
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-12 10:31 AM

Here's an idea for next year:  instead of Occupy Wall Street; how about:  Occupy Mentor Program Archives.  Let me elaborate...

In 2012 I want to take my training up a notch and I'm going to be focusing on an entrepeneurial work venture, so my time is going to be limited and my fatigue will be high.  In short, I won't have the time, patience, or desire to run another Mentor Group including new members.  But I love this group.  We all know each other.  So why don't we simply stay where we (occupy the archives) and in January state our 2012 goals and do this again? 

For those who want to opt out, please don't feel guilty.  If you want something new and exciting.  I totally understand.  Or, for those who want to take a year off or just don't want to participate, that's cool too.

But everyone, please let me know your thoughts so it will be clear if we will either disband, or stay together for another year.  Good idea, or lame idea.  Let me know your thoughts!!  

Count me in - you guys would all be a great group to chat with as my goals are things all of you have experienced.  Though... I couldn't help but be offended when you said "I won't have the time, patience..."  How trying could it be to mentor me??   Ahem... you don't have to answer that ha ha.   Completely understand and I am IN

2011-12-12 12:50 PM

User image

The Champ is back to DEFEND HER TITLE!!!

2011-12-12 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-12 10:31 AM

You ain't gettin' rid of me that easy.  I am fine wherever you want to hold court.  Last night I started putting together some race ideas for next year.  I hope to have a tentative schedule done this week.

2011-12-12 1:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I am fine either way. I have already started to think about my goals for next year. I should be able to post them shortly.
2011-12-12 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I'm in - someone has to bring up the rear and make everyone else feel good about themselves.  
2011-12-13 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
WA

I will certainly participate in the conversations here.  I don't have specific goals for next year.  I will be doing a few sprints and half marathons. My wife is doing her first HIM next year and I will probably be watching the girls more.  I may "double dip" into another group also.  I look forward to see what everyone's next challenge is here. 

My only challenge right now is to not gain too much weight over the holidays!!  I am enjoying this time way too much!!  Relaxing, watching TV and eating chocolate mud pie the last couple of days!  Ahhhhh.....the life.  Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60