BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-18 7:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20
TJ - FAROLITO 5K on Saturday
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Cross Country Race on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses on order!!!
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical. still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather

Condolences to Mary G. on the loss of her father.

2015-12-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Dress me, please!

My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket?

Why do I let people talk me into these things?
2015-12-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

For a 10.8 mile bike, do you need tri shorts?  I think I'd just go with the tights. I don't think it makes a difference which type of jacket you use -running or bike, but I'll let the northern manatees speak to that kind of stuff!

2015-12-18 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical. still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather

Race well TJ, Adrienne and Robin!!

Keep getting better DLers!

2015-12-18 10:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

2015-12-18 10:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

For a 10.8 mile bike, do you need tri shorts?  I think I'd just go with the tights. I don't think it makes a difference which type of jacket you use -running or bike, but I'll let the northern manatees speak to that kind of stuff!

Bike jackets tend to be somewhat slimmer fitting than running ones. They also tend to block a substantial amount of wind. Tights are up in the air. Can you run in them well or take them off easy enough?

2015-12-18 10:51 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Chris, I read an article a while back that was extremely helpful in how to get the most out of your social media. I will try and dig it up when I get a chance. The short of it is to leverage them for their strengths, much like it sounds you are already doing. Facebook is a good place for personal relationships. It's a hood place to share things with your closer family and friends and to stay in touch and in the loop with eachother and have discussions. Twitter is good for staying up to date one news and information. Instagram is a plce for common interests and inspiration and linkedin, professional. The guy in the article was becoming frustrated seeing the same stuff on Facebook as twitter and instagram so he went and deleted everyone he followed on Instagram and only followed the accounts that inspired him (skateboarding and art were his two sources of inspiration ) He didn't cave to pressures to follow friends and family on Instagram because that's what Facebook was for. I didn't do the best job of describing this but you get the gist. It's been nice for keeping content fresh and specific.
2015-12-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Bike jackets tend to be somewhat slimmer fitting than running ones. They also tend to block a substantial amount of wind. Tights are up in the air. Can you run in them well or take them off easy enough?

Robin, I say running tights and running jacket, both preferably wind-blocking.  For the jacket, you can unzip during the run, then zip up on the bike.  Also, consider wearing a base layer that unzips at the neck, again so you can unzip, then zip up as needed.  The ride is pretty short so you should be able to go without bike shorts but if you need them, wear them under your tights. For the ride, you might also throw a wind vest (running one is fine) over your running jacket and add a dry neck gaiter.  I like to wear a silk turtleneck for running in the cold and it'll help keep you warm for the ride too.  Let me know if you need to borrow one.  I could get it to you tonight.  Definitely bring a warm coat for afterwards so you don't get chilled.  If all else fails, you can always stuff some newspaper under your jacket to block the wind like the pros so. 

Hopefully the warmer day today will help clear the roads somewhat although there's likely to be ice in the shady spots.  Be careful and have fun!!

2015-12-18 11:30 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed Chris, I read an article a while back that was extremely helpful in how to get the most out of your social media. I will try and dig it up when I get a chance. The short of it is to leverage them for their strengths, much like it sounds you are already doing. Facebook is a good place for personal relationships. It's a hood place to share things with your closer family and friends and to stay in touch and in the loop with eachother and have discussions. Twitter is good for staying up to date one news and information. Instagram is a plce for common interests and inspiration and linkedin, professional. The guy in the article was becoming frustrated seeing the same stuff on Facebook as twitter and instagram so he went and deleted everyone he followed on Instagram and only followed the accounts that inspired him (skateboarding and art were his two sources of inspiration ) He didn't cave to pressures to follow friends and family on Instagram because that's what Facebook was for. I didn't do the best job of describing this but you get the gist. It's been nice for keeping content fresh and specific.

Thank you everyone for your input, that pretty much seems to be the general consensus. I have been frustrated with our church use of it and once I am no longer the council president, I may have time to take it all over and do it the way I like.  I find it funny how 15 years or so ago, there was none, now there are too many, and many people seem to be lowering their use.  Like most things in life, there is a cycle of use and I believe we are hitting a turning point where people have hit a point of over use.  

2015-12-18 11:33 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey all! Thought I would say hello! I am not purposefully neglecting any of your nice inspires or messages, just been swamped.

I am trying to get some RRs done since the few I am doing are part of a series and I would like to track Poo Poo Point Ascent Time Trial

annnnd NB Winter Grand Prix Road Race #1

I was in CA all last week for work and now fully immersed in the holiday shenanigans. I hope you all are doing well! 

I hear ya. I'm like, 3 years behind on race reports?! (and everything else it seems)

Pretty much since my dad passed away in 2013, my sister and I have been full turbo on all fronts. #1 priority always is Mutti. Speaking of FB I know it all looks like fun, games, and jetsetting, but behind it is a hell of a lot of hard work to make it possible and take as many people (esp disabled/disadvantaged Indonesians) along with me. Kingsley and I both.

Insert lots of injuries and illnesses.

HOWEVER ... it is all truly a blast and way beyond worth it.

I need more sleep!

2015-12-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

And thinking of fathers passing away--Mary, I am so very sorry.

I am indeed thinking of you and all his loved ones at this time. Such a trauma to lose someone unexpectedly.

2015-12-18 11:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO TEEJ!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO FORTI!!!

Disabled List
Really happy about the progress here

And again, deepest condolences to Maria. {MELON PRESS}

2015-12-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO racers!!!

DLers, keep up the good work and keep carefully healing.  We'll get through this one way or another and should all be back in action in time for next season.

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  Sending you (((hugs))) and thoughts of peace and light. 

Prism glasses arrived yesterday and I'm trying to get my paperwork in order so I can go back to work on Monday.  I won't bore you with the saga THAT's been!!  Not sure if the glasses will work but I'm going to give them a shot. If nothing else, they're cute and I can now read books for short periods and the other symptoms aren't as bad.  I'm just not sure how much work I'll be able to handle. I have until the end of the year to be back to full-time or I'm out of a job.  With the holidays, that means 6 days to get back up to speed after being off since early October.  It's getting down to the wire and pretty scary.  Luckily my employer is willing to let me resign in lieu of termination and give me 3 months severance if I can't handle the full-time schedule. All because of a stupid bump on the head that didn't even break the skin.  Sheesh.

Hope everybody has a safe and fun weekend.  If you're out there shopping or going to see the new Star Wars movie, don't get trampled and remember that if you have to park in Timbuktu, just think of it as an opportunity to get some additional exercise.

2015-12-18 11:59 AM

User image

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike.

My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes.

Thanks, everyone!
2015-12-18 12:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by fortissimo

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

You have gotten plenty of good advice and really, its quite personal

I run in shorts year round, even down below freezing. It's all about the beanie (or toque for our friends in the north) and gloves. That can seriously get you through some cold temps, plus once you warm up they are easy to stash. Overheating absolutely sucks in my opinion.

The great thing is the run comes first so you can run hard and warm up. If you were too overdressed you might get too hot and sweat a lot more then the combination of the headwind on the bike and the actual wind might chill you.

Personally, I''d rock long sleeves, gloves a beanie and tri shorts, and maybe some tall socks. 

2015-12-18 12:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

And to reiterate something from the website:

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

2015-12-18 1:20 PM

User image

Seattle

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

Ohhhhhh. Yeah....so like Ben already said, dress for the bike! 

I don't read lol

2015-12-18 1:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

2015-12-18 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck to our racers, and healing thoughts for our DLers.
Mary G - still sending thoughts for you and your family at this time.

And Mary, sorry about the possibility you may have to resign from work. You seem to be handling this news, and your injury in general, with such a balanced attitude!
2015-12-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Unrelated Christmas Carol comment: Baby It's Cold Outside is kind of...creepy. How have I never noticed this before? I'm listening to the Idina Menzel version, and at one point she says, "Hey, what's in this drink?" Not merry!
2015-12-18 1:36 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO racers!!!

DLers, keep up the good work and keep carefully healing.  We'll get through this one way or another and should all be back in action in time for next season.

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  Sending you (((hugs))) and thoughts of peace and light. 

Prism glasses arrived yesterday and I'm trying to get my paperwork in order so I can go back to work on Monday.  I won't bore you with the saga THAT's been!!  Not sure if the glasses will work but I'm going to give them a shot. If nothing else, they're cute and I can now read books for short periods and the other symptoms aren't as bad.  I'm just not sure how much work I'll be able to handle. I have until the end of the year to be back to full-time or I'm out of a job.  With the holidays, that means 6 days to get back up to speed after being off since early October.  It's getting down to the wire and pretty scary.  Luckily my employer is willing to let me resign in lieu of termination and give me 3 months severance if I can't handle the full-time schedule. All because of a stupid bump on the head that didn't even break the skin.  Sheesh.

Hope everybody has a safe and fun weekend.  If you're out there shopping or going to see the new Star Wars movie, don't get trampled and remember that if you have to park in Timbuktu, just think of it as an opportunity to get some additional exercise.

Daaaaang Mary! Hang in there! 

2015-12-18 1:52 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Atlantia

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck to our racers, and healing thoughts for our DLers. Mary G - still sending thoughts for you and your family at this time. And Mary, sorry about the possibility you may have to resign from work. You seem to be handling this news, and your injury in general, with such a balanced attitude!

You haven't seen my melt-downs!  There've been several recently. I've had enough injuries to know that my brain is going to heal at its own pace so I'm trying to stay philosophical about it.  Doesn't always work though.  Being able to get out and run, both by myself and with others and having the new tri team to get excited about help a lot.  Plus being able to be back in touch with my beloved Manatees is wonderful!!!

2015-12-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

Yeah, don't listen to me today. Although kind of surprised Yanti hasn't jumped right in with such an invitation in the first line!

2015-12-18 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Go Racers and I'm glad to see improvement for those on the DL.

Mary you and your family are in my prayers.

I am so glad it's the weekend, if there had been one more day in this week I may have had a meltdown. Been horribly busy trying to do staffing for 5 schools for the new year a responsibility of my lazy as boss (who is leaving).

We had our end of year/Christmas party this week and she insisted that she was well enough to attend and to do the farewells to the staff that were leaving even though she has been on "sick leave" since the start of November and didn't know that half of them were going. Anyway when she was done with the list she was supposed to sit down so that we could do a farewell to her but no she decided that it was appropriate for her to spent the next 10 plus minutes ranting about the Chairman of the Board (who was there) and how poorly done by she is and nothing is her fault. It was an extremely uncomfortable experience for everyone in the room. Unfortunately for her I think she did herself more damage than she did to the Chairman given the feedback I have had since it happened. Just one of many dramas this week. But thankfully everyone else has now gone on holidays until the middle of January so maybe I can go back to being the accountant
2015-12-18 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by AtlantiaUnrelated Christmas Carol comment: Baby It's Cold Outside is kind of...creepy. How have I never noticed this before? I'm listening to the Idina Menzel version, and at one point she says, "Hey, what's in this drink?" Not merry!
Ha! Just today DS2 and I heard it on the radio and I referred to it as the date rape carol. He said it just didn't translate well in to modern times.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54762 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67323 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28358 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66813 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.