BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-08-04 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1579088

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

If you build a deck like my neighbor in South Carolina then I would say no, you can't count it.  He'd lay a board, drink a beer, hammer a nail, drink a beer, lay another board, drink, hammer his finger, cuss, drink a beer...  But I would give yourself credit for some physical activity.

Good job on the pull-up PR.  I hated pullups but I had to do them frequently in the Marine Corps because our bi-annual Physical Fitness Test was pull-ups (I had to do 12 to get a first class), crunches (had to do 100 in 2 min to get 1st class), and 3 mile run (had to run it under 24 min).  So I usually can do around 10 but they still suck.

Is anyone as excited about Football season as I am? I watched about 35 minutes of the preseason game last night and I was pumped.  I know I'll sound like a complete homer, but I think the Chargers will be the team to beat this year.  I do hope the Patriots sink into the Superbowl Loser's Slump never to return in our lifetime (sorry BB).  Anyone big fans of a college or pro team?

2008-08-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1579609

User image

Master
Olney, MD
GomesBolt - 2008-08-04 9:46 AM

He'd lay a board, drink a beer, hammer a nail, drink a beer, lay another board, drink, hammer his finger, cuss, drink a beer...  

hahaha... I built a patio like that last summer actually.  It was hot, real hot, and I drank a bunch of Miller Lite and laid the bricks.  The patio slopes off to the left a bit, but I just say I made it that way for drainage

Is anyone as excited about Football season as I am?
  MEEEE!!  I really like football season.  My dad went to the USNA and played football there back in the day. I got him season tickets to the games last year and we had a great time.  We got them again this year and tickets to the Army / Navy game in Philly.  The first game is coming up on August 30th.. yippeee!!  Navy football kind of sucks, but it's fun to go with my dad.  I love college football season and my Terps.  Pro season.. eh.. not so much, but I'll watch it.

2008-08-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1579609

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

If you build a deck like my neighbor in South Carolina then I would say no, you can't count it.  He'd lay a board, drink a beer, hammer a nail, drink a beer, lay another board, drink, hammer his finger, cuss, drink a beer...  But I would give yourself credit for some physical activity.

Good job on the pull-up PR.  I hated pullups but I had to do them frequently in the Marine Corps because our bi-annual Physical Fitness Test was pull-ups (I had to do 12 to get a first class), crunches (had to do 100 in 2 min to get 1st class), and 3 mile run (had to run it under 24 min).  So I usually can do around 10 but they still suck.

Is anyone as excited about Football season as I am? I watched about 35 minutes of the preseason game last night and I was pumped.  I know I'll sound like a complete homer, but I think the Chargers will be the team to beat this year.  I do hope the Patriots sink into the Superbowl Loser's Slump never to return in our lifetime (sorry BB).  Anyone big fans of a college or pro team?

I was lucky that when I went to school, Syracuse was good.  I saw McNabb, Harrison, Freeney, Ismail, and others play.  I actually went to a couple of bowl games.  I don't follow it that much anymore since they stick.  Sorry to hear your distain for the Pats.  Is it the team or coach?  Unfortunately for you, I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.  Lots of people are picking them to win again this year.

2008-08-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1579742

User image

When did your dad Grad from USNA? We may have some people who I worked with whose dads were the same class.  Lots in 1968-69.

I think the problem with the Service Academies Football-wise is they're asking way too much from the athletes to be in Div I.  They would be powerhouses in Div I-AA and could still get quality student-athletes playing for them.  In order to make the height/weight standards, you make yourselves too small to play Div-I.  They also have to be able to read to go to the academies which is more than you can say for some Div I "powerhouses."  Most of the Refs in I-AA are bigger than 90% of The Citadel Football Players but we do alright in I-AA. And we have a National Championship Tournament unlike the Biggest Catastrophe System (BCS).

2008-08-04 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1579954

User image

Master
Olney, MD
GomesBolt - 2008-08-04 11:54 AM

When did your dad Grad from USNA? We may have some people who I worked with whose dads were the same class.  Lots in 1968-69.

He graduated in 1967   I was pretty close to going there myself, but decided it wasn't for me.

2008-08-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Never got into my undergrad school football team (UMASS) or my grad school team (Cornell) because these were big hockey schools and I've always been a big hockey fan.

Now I love watching football too so I'm currently a fan of my husbands team from his undergrad, Kansas State

2008-08-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1579754

User image

Boston Beginner - 2008-08-04 10:44 AM

Sorry to hear your distain for the Pats.  Is it the team or coach?  Unfortunately for you, I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.  Lots of people are picking them to win again this year.

Because I like you, I'll explain it like this:

I hate them because they're good and they're going to be in the way of LT winning the SuperBowl.  They're almost too good.  Like they know what play is coming next ... But mostly, it's the media treatment of them.  They're good, but they're not a "dynasty" considering they haven't won the SuperBowl in 3 years. 

Super Bowl losers very rarely do well the next year (going back to '94, no one has returned after losing).  It's like a lesser-version of the Madden Curse.  Maybe the pats will break that streak, but I'm hoping not.  I know SD is a bunch of Thugs, and Rivers is an idiot, but I've been a Bolts fan since I was 7 and LT is a class guy who grew up humble, works his butt off, he remains very humble and gives a lot back to poor kids in SD and Texas.

2008-08-04 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
WA

San Diego.....Super Chaaaargers, San Diego......CHARGERS!!!!!!

I *heart* LT.  Rivers is a bit of a douche but I *heart* LT and they're my hometown team.  

For the record, Eli Manning is a butthole.  No one disses San Diego and gets away with it!  I am in San Diego right now visiting my gpa, and it's literally the best place in the world .

As for college ball.....GOOOOOO BLUE! 

2008-08-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1580116

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-08-04 9:57 AM

San Diego.....Super Chaaaargers, San Diego......CHARGERS!!!!!!

I *heart* LT.  Rivers is a bit of a douche but I *heart* LT and they're my hometown team.  

For the record, Eli Manning is a butthole.  No one disses San Diego and gets away with it!  I am in San Diego right now visiting my gpa, and it's literally the best place in the world .

As for college ball.....GOOOOOO BLUE! 

Blech....

Denver Broncos - LOVE them.  First preseason game is this right around the corner WOOT!!!!!

2008-08-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1580132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Aikidoman - 2008-08-04 1:02 PM

Denver Broncos - LOVE them.  First preseason game is this right around the corner WOOT!!!!!

Boo Broncos..... go Chiefs!!! 

2008-08-04 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I see everyone's true colors are coming out .  It's hard for me to understand the hatred people have for the Pats being on the "inside."  I guess it's the same reasons I can't stand the Yankees.  People have to remember though, we used to be the laughing stock of the NFL for years.  It's funny you mention the media, because around here, LT is portrayed as a whiney, sore loser.  It is growing into quite a nice rivalry.

2008-08-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1580116

Champion
South Jersey
E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008-08-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1580350

User image

I think next time I decide to stir up a hornet's nest, I'll bring up something a little bit more PC like abortion or gay rights or the presidential election...

It's hilarious how into our football we get in this country.  I love it.  We're not quite as crazy as other countries are about their soccer, but we're getting there I think.

LT was being a little strange at the end of last year.  He had the first major injury of his life and didn't know how to handle it but was being told by doctors not to play and by the team that he could if he wanted to.  He's a classy guy overall and I think he and the Patriots have had bad blood since that 42-17 shelacking a few years ago and there were a lot of biting comments from the pats after that game.

Whenever I meet a "Patriots Fan" out in some part of the country (because I've only been to Boston once in '94) I always ask them to name their 2 favorite players from the white-helmet days.  If I hear crickets, I know they're full of it.  If they at least know 2 players from when the team stunk, I cut them some slack. 

2008-08-04 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
If people can't name 2 players from the eighties (anything earlier is before my time) then they aren't real fans.  They are just jumping on the bandwagon from 01.  If you don't know Erving Fryer or Tony Eason, you derserve to be tormented.
2008-08-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1580350

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

LaurenSU02 - 2008-08-04 2:01 PM E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry.  I like the Eagles though.  McNabb connection.

2008-08-04 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
WA

i'm fo shizzle. 

i had a crush on stan humphries in high school (i'm not sure why, at all), and seau has always been a hometown hero despite his defection, and i have one other piece of proof i've been following for at least a decade....PUPUNU!!!!  actually, i wonder, whatever happened to natrone means?  the "natrone bomb"?  i was in and out during college because i didn't have a TV.

when i was in elementary school, i loved the Niners though.  But then, everyone did, who didn't love Joe Montana and Jerry Rice?  I was only 8 or 9, I didn't know what bandwagon fan meant, I just loved me some Jerry Rice. 

as for the pats, i've never cared much for them, when they sucked nor when they were good.  all i can say is tom brady is really really good looking. really good looking.

2008-08-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1580527

User image

PUPUNU!!! There's a name I haven't heard in a while!!!

I knew Means was coaching again but didn't know where.  Wikipedia says he's working with the Carolina Panthers.  He was a bowling ball wasn't he? Lorenzo Neal kinda reminded me of him.  Too bad neither are around anymore.  We'll see if Rookie Hester can block.

Alright.  Now a tri question... If your swimcap falls off, do you get penalized for littering or leaving gear on the course? or can you just keep going?  I ask because having a shaved-head, I have nothing to keep the cap on and it just progressively squeezes-up on my head the whole swim.  I think when I go to do an olympic, it'll be gone before I reach the finish.

I guess I could just go buy a cap that fits but the rules for all the races I've done say you have to wear the cap you are given at registration... Any advice?

2008-08-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1580601

User image

Expert
WA

Matt, have you tried pulling the cap over your ears?  How low on your forehead do you have it?  I have it go down to maybe an inch above my eyebrows, which seems to help hold it too.
Most of the Olympic swimmers I've seen seem to pull the caps over their ears and when I tried it it seems to help a little bit with the water going in as well.  Maybe that will help?

2008-08-04 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Am I the only one here that can't tolerate football????  God gawd!  It bores me to tears!  With that said, anything on TV bores me to tears!  I can't sit still long enough to watch anything!
2008-08-04 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
GomesBolt - 2008-08-04 2:53 PM

Alright.  Now a tri question... If your swimcap falls off, do you get penalized for littering or leaving gear on the course? or can you just keep going?  I ask because having a shaved-head, I have nothing to keep the cap on and it just progressively squeezes-up on my head the whole swim.  I think when I go to do an olympic, it'll be gone before I reach the finish.

I guess I could just go buy a cap that fits but the rules for all the races I've done say you have to wear the cap you are given at registration... Any advice?

If your swim cap falls off in a race, be sure to grab it and take it with you... a fair bit of panic will stir up if the race staff/lifegaurds spot a floating swim cap and no person... (actually this is the exact speach we got from the race director before my race)

2008-08-04 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1580670

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-08-04 12:08 PM

Matt, have you tried pulling the cap over your ears?  How low on your forehead do you have it?  I have it go down to maybe an inch above my eyebrows, which seems to help hold it too.
Most of the Olympic swimmers I've seen seem to pull the caps over their ears and when I tried it it seems to help a little bit with the water going in as well.  Maybe that will help?

Yep, got to pull it pretty low to stay on IMO.  Just over the brows and pretty far down in the back.  I don't like it over the ears, but that's just me....

2008-08-04 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
GomesBolt - 2008-08-04 2:53 PM

I ask because having a shaved-head, I have nothing to keep the cap on....

Any advice?

Grow a few tufts of hair??  

2008-08-05 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1581065

User image

"Grow a few tufts of hair??  "

Funny you should mention that.  I was thinking about doing something funny by letting my hair grow all week and then cutting a mohawk on Friday night.  I think it'd be funny.  Although, I'll have a swim cap, a helmet, and then a hat on throughout the race.  Maybe I could try to wear just a pair of sunglasses and carry the hat during the run just in case.  One of the guys I workout with said when he got into triathlons, people always did crazy things on race day.  He said people would wear really outlandish stuff, write stuff on their bodies, everything.

Mohawks are funny right?  I could say "I pity the fool" as I cross the finish line.

Tracy,

I'm sorry you don't like football.  It's completely understandable though because it's one of those things that takes a lot of effort to learn to understand in order to appreciate it.  My wife doesn't like it either, but it's growing on her.  It's definitely the most complicated sport out there.

How about a better topic? Is anyone excited for the Olympics?  The Triathlons are on the 17th and 18th late at night on the internet unfortunately.  Hopefully they'll have an on-demand viewing capability.  What's everyone else looking forward to?

2008-08-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1581054

User image

Aikidoman - 2008-08-04 4:51 PM
lisazapato - 2008-08-04 12:08 PM

Yep, got to pull it pretty low to stay on IMO.  Just over the brows and pretty far down in the back.  I don't like it over the ears, but that's just me....

Yeah, I do the pretty low thing but it seems to squeeeeeeze-up.  I also have to wear my goggles under my cap because if I don't, the cap affects them too. I'm glad Claire said something about the lifeguards seeing a floating cap.  Hadn't thought about it that way.  She's so helpful.

Maybe I should practice with the stupid cap on huh? Instead of only wearing it on race day...

2008-08-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1582026

User image

Master
Olney, MD
GomesBolt - 2008-08-05 9:09 AM

Mohawks are funny right?  

hehehe.. YES.. mohawks are sweet.  You have to take pics if you do it too   This is an A race for you right?  Do it in style!!

How about a better topic? Is anyone excited for the Olympics?  The Triathlons are on the 17th and 18th late at night on the internet unfortunately.  Hopefully they'll have an on-demand viewing capability.  What's everyone else looking forward to?

I like watching the summer olympics and am pretty much looking forward to everything   My favorites are the track & field events, gymnastics, and beach volleyball. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66