BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-09-22 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed
Sorry you got sick Jamie. Hope you feel better!

After my ear infection and sinus infection last week and Vegas the week before. It was against my better judgment to do the century ride today. But my coach pushed me out the door and went with me. Actually had a good day too. ??

2013-09-23 5:12 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by RunningJoke Aaaargh, I have a cold. Skipped my swim yesterday, and my bike today. Oh, well. I have an Oly race next weekend, so I just keep repeating that this is a GOOD time for a cold. I'll just add a day or 2 to my taper... Jaime

I hope you get feeling better Jaime.  A couple of rest days wont have any impact on your overall training!

2013-09-23 5:13 AM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen Sorry you got sick Jamie. Hope you feel better! After my ear infection and sinus infection last week and Vegas the week before. It was against my better judgment to do the century ride today. But my coach pushed me out the door and went with me. Actually had a good day too. ??

Glad you had a good ride Brian!! 

2013-09-23 5:18 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I had a pretty good race yesterday.  3:48:19, which is a pretty good PR since my last one was a touch over 4 at the Goofy Challenge in 2010.  It has me thinking with turning 50 next year, maybe if I focused on the marathon again I could get to the BQ time, but those last 6 miles just hurt!!

Nothing today, I can barely move.  Maybe the pool tomorrow or an easy spin on the trainer.  Under 6 weeks till IMFL.

Besides those of us with our IM's and HIM's still ahead, anyone doing any other races this fall?  Robin has Chicago in a couple of weeks. 

2013-09-23 7:32 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by kenj

I had a pretty good race yesterday.  3:48:19, which is a pretty good PR since my last one was a touch over 4 at the Goofy Challenge in 2010.  It has me thinking with turning 50 next year, maybe if I focused on the marathon again I could get to the BQ time, but those last 6 miles just hurt!!

Nothing today, I can barely move.  Maybe the pool tomorrow or an easy spin on the trainer.  Under 6 weeks till IMFL.

Besides those of us with our IM's and HIM's still ahead, anyone doing any other races this fall?  Robin has Chicago in a couple of weeks. 

Great job Ken. That's flyin! You should go for a BQ. You could get 6 minutes on a favorable course or good weather. But you won't need it. You keep progressing like you are 6 minutes will be nothing!

Not racing anymore this year, I don't think. Maybe if a good MTB race comes up close to me or somthing. I just plan on doing another Century ride or two and just start building some base mileage for next season. Maybe I'll actually get to race again.
2013-09-23 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Originally posted by Meulen

Great job Ken. That's flyin! You should go for a BQ. You could get 6 minutes on a favorable course or good weather. But you won't need it. You keep progressing like you are 6 minutes will be nothing! Not racing anymore this year, I don't think. Maybe if a good MTB race comes up close to me or somthing. I just plan on doing another Century ride or two and just start building some base mileage for next season. Maybe I'll actually get to race again.

Thanks!!

You'll get it figured out and back racing again.

2013-09-23 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
I did not get much done last week based on my schedule, but I did get another 13 mile run yesterday. My hope is to do at least one 13 mile run each week for the next three weeks before I start to taper.....
2013-09-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Wow, Ken! Congratulations. Very impressive time.
2013-09-24 4:57 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Amazing job Ken!!!!!
2013-09-25 4:39 AM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Morning all!!

Busy week at work, so good thing it is somewhat of a recovery week.  Legs still feeling it but mentally I am ready to get back at it and finish the last 5 weeks till Florida. 

I am doing an easy bike ride in the trainer, then a massage at lunch.  Some upper body strength work too. 

What is everyone else doing?

Robin, how are the long runs going?

2013-09-25 4:41 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Also, I downloaded a couple sufferfest videos to the Ipad.  Violator and ISLAGIATT.  Does anyone have any other favorites?  I have some long rides coming and with the weather we can get in October I am thinking I may have some serious trainer time to look forward to.

2013-09-25 11:04 AM

User image

On the recommendation of my coach I am looking into getting a power meter of some sorts. Any recommendations? Any pros/cons, what to avoid, personal stories?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, anyone in the group do IM Tahoe last weekend?

Dwayne
2013-09-25 1:16 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by DeVinci13 On the recommendation of my coach I am looking into getting a power meter of some sorts. Any recommendations? Any pros/cons, what to avoid, personal stories? Thanks in advance. Oh, anyone in the group do IM Tahoe last weekend? Dwayne

I know there was a handful on BT, but I don't think anyone in our group was there.  Quite a day for a race though!  Wow!

I have used both a HED wheel with the Power Tap hub and a Quarq.  Love them both.  I switched from the wheel to the crank based Quarq simply so I could have different wheels for different races and training and not have to deal with multiple power taps.  I think the price has come down on the wheels recently.

I have never done so, but I think my Quarq could be switched between my road and tri bike in about 15 minutes, as I have taken it on and off for cleaning in less than that. 

Glad you are using a coach for that as I think it shortens the learning curve and will give you more bang for the buck.   

2013-09-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by DeVinci13

On the recommendation of my coach I am looking into getting a power meter of some sorts. Any recommendations? Any pros/cons, what to avoid, personal stories?

Dwayne

I believe the best and most versatile way to go is to have a good strong wheel built up with a higher spoke count and use a disk cover for races. I have a power tap built into a 28 spoke Easton wheel and have used it all year. The wheel is a great from training and It is a perfect compromise.

The downside is a bit of additional weight, but to me it is not a big deal. I will use my carbon wheel and not the powertap wheel for my IM, but I feel comfortable enough with using heart rate for the race. I got a disk wheel cover for the wheel, but I bought the wrong one so I not going to use it for the race.
2013-09-25 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran

Also, I downloaded a couple sufferfest videos to the Ipad.  Violator and ISLAGIATT.  Does anyone have any other favorites?  I have some long rides coming and with the weather we can get in October I am thinking I may have some serious trainer time to look forward to.

I just bought blender last week, but their new videos are high def and I can't get them to play in the old lap top I have set up in the basement. I think I am going to get the local hero one later this week.
2013-09-26 2:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
The forecast for Sunday's race is 69 and sunny 0% chance of rain. It's been a year long wait to get the chance to do it again and this time NO RAIN! I'm hoping to have better luck on the bike this year (3 flats last year) especially since it's forecast to be sunny.

The past few weeks have been a real mental challenge for me to want to do this - I hope it all comes together Sunday.

Edited by acv 2013-09-26 2:18 PM

2013-09-26 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Originally posted by Meulen

So I guess I could put this in a nice check list for you.

Again, I usually do this as a general cleaning of the bike with a detail spray and soft cloth. Be sure to leave enough time to order parts if you need to before a race. Besides general maintainence before a race a good check list of things to go over are:

1. Check if chain is worn or stretched. (Park tools has a good chain checker tool!)
2. Oil chain and remove excess oil/gunk
3. look over tires for any suspicious cuts/holes/imbedded road debri
4. look over wheels for any broken spokes/nipples/etc. and spin them to check they run true
5. while spinning wheels check brakes for any rub and make adjustments as necesary
6. lube brake cables
7. lube shift cables and run through the gears, make deraileur adjustments as needed
8. check your headset is proper tightness, and easily moves side to side (take apart and re-grease if necessary)
9. double check flat kit is all there and ready to use if necessary
10. look over bolts and make sure nothing is loose. Especially those on hydration cages etc, and your seat. Those seem to come loose sometimes.

Maybe if anyone else has stuff they can add to this as well

Thanks for the list - it seems like you have everything covered!

I did the BikeMS ride last Saturday. It rained ridiculously hard! But it was still a good ride. Then I ran 16.5 miles on Sunday. Hopefully I am doing enough! I am hopefully doing a 100 mile bike and an 18-20 mile run this weekend. Things are getting crazy!
Hope everyone's training is going well!
2013-09-26 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Morning all!!

Busy week at work, so good thing it is somewhat of a recovery week.  Legs still feeling it but mentally I am ready to get back at it and finish the last 5 weeks till Florida. 

I am doing an easy bike ride in the trainer, then a massage at lunch.  Some upper body strength work too. 

What is everyone else doing?

Robin, how are the long runs going?

Hey All! I got my 20 miler run in on Tuesday. Was supposed to do it on Monday - but it was snowing!!!!! Tuesday was a beautiful day and had a good run. Legs are feeling good and ready for taper!

I hope everyone is training well and are ready for the weekend! I am canoeing into a back country cabin!
2013-09-26 11:02 PM
in reply to: acv

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by acv

The forecast for Sunday's race is 69 and sunny 0% chance of rain. It's been a year long wait to get the chance to do it again and this time NO RAIN! I'm hoping to have better luck on the bike this year (3 flats last year) especially since it's forecast to be sunny.

The past few weeks have been a real mental challenge for me to want to do this - I hope it all comes together Sunday.

Have a great race Adam!!!!!! The forecast sounds perfect, enjoy!
2013-09-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

I am following the power meter discussion with interest...I'd really like to improve my bike leg over the winter. If you could only get one, would you get a coach for a few months or a power meter?

I am a big fan of the Sufferfest videos and have them all. My favorites are Wretched (funny story line distracts me from actual workout) and Angels (8 min climbing intervals). Now that I'm traning for a HIM I also use Hell Hath No Fury fairly often (2 longer intervals of about 25 minutes each). Because of weather and daylight issues this month, I've actually done one or 2 sufferfest videos on the trainer, and then gone outside for a 1-2 hour aerobic ride, which I feel has been super helpful. I tend to work harder on the trainer with the videos (no traffic, no stop signs, etc), so it's good for me to get the experience of riding outside on tired legs.

It's been 6 days and I am still pretty sick. No more fevers but I have asthma and after I get a virus I usually cough for a few weeks. Heading to an Oly race on Sunday, I figure I'll just see how it goes...

Jaime
2013-09-27 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Good luck Adam!

I have both a quarq and a Powertap. The problem with power is it becomes addictive. Not only to you, but to your coach too! lol There are times I just take one of my bikes out without a PM and just ride! I feel it's important to me to keep the enjoyment of riding to not focus on power or stats all the time, but to just enjoy a nice ride sometimes. But my coach ALWAYS wants to see the power. He kinda gets upset when I don't use it.

Which one just depends on your logistics. Personally, I wish I stayed away from the powertap and just spent a little more from the get go and got the quarq. Sure...now I have both! But, you can easily change the quarq from one bike to the next and now my problem is that my race wheels have a Powertap in them. So I ended up using the race wheels more than I wanted to for training and if I race I can't use the quarq because it would be dumb to have the heavy PT hub on my race wheel when I have the quarq on. I will probably ended up selling my Jet9's with PT and just use the quarq and get some lighter race wheels.

If I were to get one coach/PM I would go with a PM. You can get a very good start on your own with a PM. Even use Jorge's plan here on BT with it. Then save for a coach later.

I would stay away from stages until we get more info on them. Right now the consensus is that it's a lot more inconsistent than the top brands. Until they prove otherwise I would stay away. The Powertaps have come down a lot now too so it shouldn't be that much more to get a proven consisent device.

Edited by Meulen 2013-09-27 12:37 PM

2013-09-27 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by RunningJoke

I am following the power meter discussion with interest...I'd really like to improve my bike leg over the winter. If you could only get one, would you get a coach for a few months or a power meter?

I am a big fan of the Sufferfest videos and have them all. My favorites are Wretched (funny story line distracts me from actual workout) and Angels (8 min climbing intervals). Now that I'm traning for a HIM I also use Hell Hath No Fury fairly often (2 longer intervals of about 25 minutes each). Because of weather and daylight issues this month, I've actually done one or 2 sufferfest videos on the trainer, and then gone outside for a 1-2 hour aerobic ride, which I feel has been super helpful. I tend to work harder on the trainer with the videos (no traffic, no stop signs, etc), so it's good for me to get the experience of riding outside on tired legs.

It's been 6 days and I am still pretty sick. No more fevers but I have asthma and after I get a virus I usually cough for a few weeks. Heading to an Oly race on Sunday, I figure I'll just see how it goes...

Jaime

I hope you feel better soon Jaime.

I too like the Angels Sufferfest video a lot. Also like Hell Hath No Fury.
2013-09-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: acv

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by acv The forecast for Sunday's race is 69 and sunny 0% chance of rain. It's been a year long wait to get the chance to do it again and this time NO RAIN! I'm hoping to have better luck on the bike this year (3 flats last year) especially since it's forecast to be sunny. The past few weeks have been a real mental challenge for me to want to do this - I hope it all comes together Sunday.

Sounds like a great day for a race Adam!! Good luck and have fun!!  Let us know how you do!!

2013-09-27 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by RunningJoke I am following the power meter discussion with interest...I'd really like to improve my bike leg over the winter. If you could only get one, would you get a coach for a few months or a power meter? I am a big fan of the Sufferfest videos and have them all. My favorites are Wretched (funny story line distracts me from actual workout) and Angels (8 min climbing intervals). Now that I'm traning for a HIM I also use Hell Hath No Fury fairly often (2 longer intervals of about 25 minutes each). Because of weather and daylight issues this month, I've actually done one or 2 sufferfest videos on the trainer, and then gone outside for a 1-2 hour aerobic ride, which I feel has been super helpful. I tend to work harder on the trainer with the videos (no traffic, no stop signs, etc), so it's good for me to get the experience of riding outside on tired legs. It's been 6 days and I am still pretty sick. No more fevers but I have asthma and after I get a virus I usually cough for a few weeks. Heading to an Oly race on Sunday, I figure I'll just see how it goes... Jaime

Good luck Sunday and I hope you feel better Jaime!!

I agree with Brian on the choice of only one or the other.  The program here that Jorge put together is an awesome way to start, plus if you are using the Sufferfest videos you can translate those to power once you have your zones set. 

2013-09-28 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Good luck Adam and Jaime!. Adam, I'm sure you got all your flats out of the way last year and this time will be smooth sailing.

Power- I use a quarq and love it. I change wheels more than socks so never gave the PT too much consideration. The only thing is that I leave it on one bike. When I bought it, I only had the one bike, but figured I would swap it out to whatever new bikes that came in the future. Since my tri bike has a threaded crank, so my quarq crackset is threaded too. When I got my road bike, its a BB30. I know I can get an adapter, but I'm just not much of a "wrench" so I leave it where it is. Its not a big deal since I do all trainer rides and 90+% of races on my tri bike. The roadie is for solo rides where i want to just tool around or for group rides where a power meter wont help (except for maybe post ride analysis). In group rides, the name of the game is Keep Up and if I can do that with the fast group, then I guess the effort was good enough. If I was in the market now, I'd be seriously looking at the pedal option.

Racing - I think this season has been called early for lack of motivation. I may or may not do my Nov mary. The training has gone out the window and if I dont have a reasonable chance of hitting my goal, then I wont give up 2 days of a holiday weekend to race 4 hours from home. Gonna play it by ear.

Happy training to all gearing up for late season races!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63