2013-09-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
Originally posted by switch

I just did my core for today.  The push-up challenge is helping me--kind of a two-for-one deal, as I'm counting those pushes toward core. 

We're in the home stretch and I wanna see some "after" photos people--c'mon!

Of course, you all love this so much that you're going to keep core as a regular part of your routine now, right?  That's what I'm telling myself anyway

Absolutely...I feel and see the difference and I know darn well it's going to help my tri sports when I start them up again in January.

2013-09-16 4:39 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I just did my core for today.  The push-up challenge is helping me--kind of a two-for-one deal, as I'm counting those pushes toward core. 

Of course, you all love this so much that you're going to keep core as a regular part of your routine now, right?  That's what I'm telling myself anyway

Absolutely...I feel and see the difference and I know darn well it's going to help my tri sports when I start them up again in January.

Same here.  I can't say they're my favorite thing to do but to support the other stuff I work so hard at it's a small price to pay. 

2013-09-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by bcraht Ok, I got 2 days behind again.  I just get bloody lazy, no other reason.  So I hammered out 30min tonight to catch myself up.  Apparently I like punishment...

You pointed that out on purpose...

Calling Switch!

Tongue out

Hehehe!

I've been pretty good lately, but far from perfect.  There will be no catching up for me.  I wonder what kind of punishment I should give myself...

Chris, why don't you just jump back in now.  C'mon, man.

Mike, that looks like a pretty big day.  How ya feelin?

Brad, I think you and caffer are battling it out for the consistency award.  You've been really solid. Nice job.

Noelle, I hear you on the just training to train.  I'm really into what I'm doing right now, but I've definitely been where you are.  I think it's reaaaaally important to know when to not be focused in a race way.  Makes the "on" times much more successful.

I'm a little OCD about these streak kind of things. Unlike the running streak (where I working on #45 today), I haven't quite been every single day, but pretty close. I've allowed myself a few double sessions to catch up here and there, but I've never fallen more than a single day behind, and I've always made it up within 2 days. It actually makes me think if I were to do a better job of laying out my training plan well in advance, I might see more improvement, but I am not much of a planner. I have a general idea what I am going to do, but I certainly don't map it out in detail for weeks and months in advance. Hmmmm.

The accountability thing really drives me.  I think I mentioned this before but I do a boot cap class over the winter, it starts at 9pm.  Unless I'm traveling I never miss it I guess I like being part of a group with a common goal.

2013-09-17 8:55 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

My plan is to keep up with the abs after the challenge!

2013-09-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Have not been around here much, work has been crazy and haven't even wanted to touch a computer on the weekends, but I have been doing my abs...

Wednesday 10 min

Thursday:  10 min

Friday:  10 min

Saturday:  Lazy, skipped

Sunday: 20 min to make up for missing Saturday

Monday:  10 min

Gotta, catch Brad...........  Wink

2013-09-17 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Someone remind me how to get to the spreadsheet now that Chris doesn't have it in his siggy line anymore?  I must update!!

2013-09-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by noelle1230

Someone remind me how to get to the spreadsheet now that Chris doesn't have it in his siggy line anymore?  I must update!!
Here you go, Amy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhkrLV2FGufadE55Z2NIRml1...

And Chris - keep trying to catch me! I'm not stopping!
2013-09-17 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
I was just wondering when the 100 days was up myself.

We still got a good few folks still in!!!

I am still cranking out.

I am doing:
sets of pushups and situps-80, 65, 55
3x25 body rows
3x15 modified pullups, floor is to high to hang completely
3x 1:30 minutes planks.

As a stretch at the end I do 3 yoga poses held for 15 breaths.
2013-09-17 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by noelle1230 Someone remind me how to get to the spreadsheet now that Chris doesn't have it in his siggy line anymore?  I must update!!
Here you go, Amy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhkrLV2FGufadE55Z2NIRml1... And Chris - keep trying to catch me! I'm not stopping!

Thanks Brad.  Updated!!  Wait a minute....Brad, you didn't miss one day yet??  I see all 7's!

2013-09-17 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by noelle1230 Someone remind me how to get to the spreadsheet now that Chris doesn't have it in his siggy line anymore?  I must update!!
Here you go, Amy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhkrLV2FGufadE55Z2NIRml1... And Chris - keep trying to catch me! I'm not stopping!

Thanks Brad.  Updated!!  Wait a minute....Brad, you didn't miss one day yet??  I see all 7's!

I've missed a couple days and have always doubled up the next day. If we are recording exactly per day, then I am not at 100%. I've missed probably about 5-6 days over the whole thing and have more than made up for each one of them the following day...I thought those were switch's rules!
2013-09-17 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
On a funny note, I was in the stretching area at my gym yesterday, and had just completed about 15 minutes of core work, which included a 5 minute plank set (1 min straight, 1 min left, 1 min straight, 1 min right, 1 min straight with no breaks in between). There was this woman in there talking very very loudly with a guy, such that I couldn't help but listen to their conversation *over* my iPod earphones. As I am finished with core and doing some stretching, she starts nearly yelling asking anyone in the area if they would like to do some planks with her because she doesn't want to look at the clock to monitor her time in a plank. I finally glance up and she is staring at me, waiting to see if I want to do planks with her, and I politely decline, having already done them. She asks how I keep track of my time, and I just hold up my wrist with my Garmin watch. I then also say that if need be, I just count to 60 or 100 or whatever I am doing to approximate the time. She has heard all she needs from me at this point and yells out "I need to do more than 60, that's not enough". Apparently counting past 60 to 120 (she wanted 2 minutes) is not an option, so another female in the area actually offers to watch the clock so this woman wouldn't have to glance up at it every 20 seconds or so.

At this point, competitive me is *not* at all happy that she decided to show me up by announcing how she needs more than 60 seconds (I'd already done 300 seconds, lady). So...sure enough, as she gets down into her plank, I jump back into one too. When she is shaking at the end of her 2 minutes (she's right next to me), I'm still holding. At 4 minutes, I called it quits mostly because I was wanting to leave and go get something to eat.

Sorry lady, there's no need to do that to me...but if you do, I'll show you that your 2 minutes isn't the top of the mountain. And please...if I am wearing headphones listening to music, there's really no reason I should be able to hear your entire conversation as well.

2013-09-17 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Oh it's on now, ab boy......Tongue out   BTW, what kind of MTN bike did you get?  Let me know if you are in the area on a weekend and want to hit up one of the local trails.  I have been riding with Mike, Amy's husband, recently.

2013-09-17 1:18 PM

User image

Seattle

Since I've been ramping up my running miles I have just been struggling through core work! I've got to get it done,but there is no extra stuff going on, that is for sure!

I'm going to incorporate a more ehh robust strength plan (mostly core) but I think I am going to have to hold off until I have been running at this volume for a little while. 10 minutes is my max right now haha

If anyone knowledgeable has any specific core strength workouts that they feel compliment running, please let me know.

2013-09-17 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I just picked up a 29er...it's a 2013 Trek Superfly AL. I split my time between Grand Rapids and the Novi/West Bloomfield area, but I am usually over in GR on the weekends.

I got my first ride in at Island Lake last Thursday evening as I was heading back to GR. I was pretty slow, as I have barely been on a mountain bike in the last 20 years except to just go for leisurely rides, no trails. I rode both the blue and the yellow trails, had a good time but certainly could have been better and faster out there. I don't even have toe straps on my pedals, let alone clips, so I'm probably losing quite a bit. Just learning how to gear through it...a couple of the hills caught me off guard and I didn't quite make it back up them. But, I was just happy to be out there! I got muddy and had a blast.

Still tempted to sign up for the Xterra Off Road over here in Grand Rapids in about 2.5 weeks. I've never ridden the Yankee Springs Rec Area trails, so I am hoping to get there to try them out in the next few days.

I would love to ride with you guys over there some day if we can get it worked out. I could definitely benefit from following some people who are much faster than I am on the mtn bike, and also from people who know the trails out there at ILRA.

(IMG_0602.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0602.JPG (1257KB - 21 downloads)
2013-09-17 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad On a funny note, I was in the stretching area at my gym yesterday, and had just completed about 15 minutes of core work, which included a 5 minute plank set (1 min straight, 1 min left, 1 min straight, 1 min right, 1 min straight with no breaks in between). There was this woman in there talking very very loudly with a guy, such that I couldn't help but listen to their conversation *over* my iPod earphones. As I am finished with core and doing some stretching, she starts nearly yelling asking anyone in the area if they would like to do some planks with her because she doesn't want to look at the clock to monitor her time in a plank. I finally glance up and she is staring at me, waiting to see if I want to do planks with her, and I politely decline, having already done them. She asks how I keep track of my time, and I just hold up my wrist with my Garmin watch. I then also say that if need be, I just count to 60 or 100 or whatever I am doing to approximate the time. She has heard all she needs from me at this point and yells out "I need to do more than 60, that's not enough". Apparently counting past 60 to 120 (she wanted 2 minutes) is not an option, so another female in the area actually offers to watch the clock so this woman wouldn't have to glance up at it every 20 seconds or so. At this point, competitive me is *not* at all happy that she decided to show me up by announcing how she needs more than 60 seconds (I'd already done 300 seconds, lady). So...sure enough, as she gets down into her plank, I jump back into one too. When she is shaking at the end of her 2 minutes (she's right next to me), I'm still holding. At 4 minutes, I called it quits mostly because I was wanting to leave and go get something to eat. Sorry lady, there's no need to do that to me...but if you do, I'll show you that your 2 minutes isn't the top of the mountain. And please...if I am wearing headphones listening to music, there's really no reason I should be able to hear your entire conversation as well.

Awesome story Smile  Was this LT Commerce?  If so, you HAVE to point out this toolbox to me next time I see you!

2013-09-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Since I've been ramping up my running miles I have just been struggling through core work! I've got to get it done,but there is no extra stuff going on, that is for sure!

I'm going to incorporate a more ehh robust strength plan (mostly core) but I think I am going to have to hold off until I have been running at this volume for a little while. 10 minutes is my max right now haha

If anyone knowledgeable has any specific core strength workouts that they feel compliment running, please let me know.

I've found that anything that incorporates the abs and hips together helps my hip flexors stay fresher on runs.  Here's a few, just ask if you're not sure what exercise I'm talking about Smile :

-V-ups

-seated medball/dumbell oblique twists

-boat hold (like the start of a V-up but just holding that V position with feet up)

-mountain climbers (start in top of push up, feet hop in and out in an alternating cross country ski motion)

2013-09-17 2:48 PM

User image

Seattle

I've found that anything that incorporates the abs and hips together helps my hip flexors stay fresher on runs.  Here's a few, just ask if you're not sure what exercise I'm talking about Smile :

-V-ups

-boat hold (like the start of a V-up but just holding that V position with feet up)

-mountain climbers (start in top of push up, feet hop in and out in an alternating cross country ski motion)

Yeah, great idea with the hip flexor stuff. That's something I want to continue to work on.

Everything you suggested sounds good. I appreciate that!

Currently I do hanging oblique twists. What I like about them is the compound effort it takes just to hang there in addition to the twist. With time constraints in mind, should I stick with this or do the seated twists with weight? Or is it worth doing both?

2013-09-17 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad On a funny note, I was in the stretching area at my gym yesterday, and had just completed about 15 minutes of core work, which included a 5 minute plank set (1 min straight, 1 min left, 1 min straight, 1 min right, 1 min straight with no breaks in between). There was this woman in there talking very very loudly with a guy, such that I couldn't help but listen to their conversation *over* my iPod earphones. As I am finished with core and doing some stretching, she starts nearly yelling asking anyone in the area if they would like to do some planks with her because she doesn't want to look at the clock to monitor her time in a plank. I finally glance up and she is staring at me, waiting to see if I want to do planks with her, and I politely decline, having already done them. She asks how I keep track of my time, and I just hold up my wrist with my Garmin watch. I then also say that if need be, I just count to 60 or 100 or whatever I am doing to approximate the time. She has heard all she needs from me at this point and yells out "I need to do more than 60, that's not enough". Apparently counting past 60 to 120 (she wanted 2 minutes) is not an option, so another female in the area actually offers to watch the clock so this woman wouldn't have to glance up at it every 20 seconds or so. At this point, competitive me is *not* at all happy that she decided to show me up by announcing how she needs more than 60 seconds (I'd already done 300 seconds, lady). So...sure enough, as she gets down into her plank, I jump back into one too. When she is shaking at the end of her 2 minutes (she's right next to me), I'm still holding. At 4 minutes, I called it quits mostly because I was wanting to leave and go get something to eat. Sorry lady, there's no need to do that to me...but if you do, I'll show you that your 2 minutes isn't the top of the mountain. And please...if I am wearing headphones listening to music, there's really no reason I should be able to hear your entire conversation as well.

Awesome story Smile  Was this LT Commerce?  If so, you HAVE to point out this toolbox to me next time I see you!

No, this time I was over in Grand Rapids...but at our LT Commerce location, I don't think you'd be at all surprised to hear this kind of thing going on!

2013-09-17 3:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by MSU_Brad I just picked up a 29er...it's a 2013 Trek Superfly AL. I split my time between Grand Rapids and the Novi/West Bloomfield area, but I am usually over in GR on the weekends. I got my first ride in at Island Lake last Thursday evening as I was heading back to GR. I was pretty slow, as I have barely been on a mountain bike in the last 20 years except to just go for leisurely rides, no trails. I rode both the blue and the yellow trails, had a good time but certainly could have been better and faster out there. I don't even have toe straps on my pedals, let alone clips, so I'm probably losing quite a bit. Just learning how to gear through it...a couple of the hills caught me off guard and I didn't quite make it back up them. But, I was just happy to be out there! I got muddy and had a blast. Still tempted to sign up for the Xterra Off Road over here in Grand Rapids in about 2.5 weeks. I've never ridden the Yankee Springs Rec Area trails, so I am hoping to get there to try them out in the next few days. I would love to ride with you guys over there some day if we can get it worked out. I could definitely benefit from following some people who are much faster than I am on the mtn bike, and also from people who know the trails out there at ILRA.

That's so badazz! I really want a MTB but I just don't have the time! Plus, I think I might end up really hurting myself. You are a brave man!

2013-09-17 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

-V-ups

Yeah, great idea with the hip flexor stuff. That's something I want to continue to work on.

Currently I do hanging oblique twists. What I like about them is the compound effort it takes just to hang there in addition to the twist. With time constraints in mind, should I stick with this or do the seated twists with weight? Or is it worth doing both?

I'd rotate the hanging oblique twists with the seated twists on different days, especially if you're doing every day. Hanging twists take a bit of a toll on you, maybe too much for every single day repetition, in my eyes. In the seated position, raise your legs off the ground to make it tougher...and to make it still tougher, lower them closer to the ground while also lowering your back closer to the ground. I actually like to do twists on a balance ball, using a medicine ball.
2013-09-18 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

-V-ups

I'd say to squeeze both in if you can.  I do love hanging abs of any nature but with the seated version, you can gain so much more rotation.  I always tell my class to think about rotating as much as possible.  The more flexible the spine, the better.

2013-09-18 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
It's a little bit late, but here is my RR from my Thursday night race early 2 weeks ago...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-09-18 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Forgive me, core peeps, for I have fallen off the wagon again.  It has been 3 days since my last core workout.  Although I did get back on last night.  I still haven't figured out what it is for me to just get 'er done.  It 10 minutes for goodness sake!
2013-09-18 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Originally posted by MSU_Brad I just picked up a 29er...it's a 2013 Trek Superfly AL. I split my time between Grand Rapids and the Novi/West Bloomfield area, but I am usually over in GR on the weekends. I got my first ride in at Island Lake last Thursday evening as I was heading back to GR. I was pretty slow, as I have barely been on a mountain bike in the last 20 years except to just go for leisurely rides, no trails. I rode both the blue and the yellow trails, had a good time but certainly could have been better and faster out there. I don't even have toe straps on my pedals, let alone clips, so I'm probably losing quite a bit. Just learning how to gear through it...a couple of the hills caught me off guard and I didn't quite make it back up them. But, I was just happy to be out there! I got muddy and had a blast. Still tempted to sign up for the Xterra Off Road over here in Grand Rapids in about 2.5 weeks. I've never ridden the Yankee Springs Rec Area trails, so I am hoping to get there to try them out in the next few days. I would love to ride with you guys over there some day if we can get it worked out. I could definitely benefit from following some people who are much faster than I am on the mtn bike, and also from people who know the trails out there at ILRA.

Nice bike Brad!

I skipped last night, went to the Tigers game...  I am on the road for the rest of the week so I made up by doing 20 min tonight in my hotel room.  I will never catch up at this rate!!!

2013-09-19 9:07 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Had a good 12 minutes last night after a 40 minute tempo run.

100x crunches
100x side to side touches
100x left side crunches
100x right side crunchs
5 min plank series - 1 min straight, 1 min right, 1 min straight, 1 min left, 1 min straight (no rest)
30x seated twists
30x leg lifts
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1393 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2040 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1706 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10441 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5484 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.