BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-09-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
WOW!  How awesome is that to be able to meet in person!   I haven't had time lately to keep up on her blog here.  What is she doing in the states?  (Reword that into the 2nd person if you are reading this yourself, Yanti! )

I am definitely doing the tri on Sunday!   I have had a great week or so of training.  Even a nice 2mi run in the fog this morning.    I will lay off tomorrow and Saturday - travel on Saturday - then race on Sunday.  It is supposed to be a pretty flat course for the run, although I am a little worried about the traffic on the roads.  I am  used to country roads and this will be in the big city of Parker/Denver!!  YIKES!   I still haven't gotten a chance to swim again, but like I said before, I will do what I can do and have FUN doing it!!

TR- you are NOT a failure!  Try to look at the positive and think about what you have learned and how you have grown as a person.   Carole said it well.

Well, my fellow Manatees....send all your good vibes and prayers my way on Sunday morning!

Edit:It only took me 71 pages to get a top post!!! LOL

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-09-10 3:48 PM

2009-09-10 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2399560

User image

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Good Luck!  Hopefully the roads will be faster!  I ride in town mostly and the roads are much smoother than the "country" road I was on for my tri.  Maybe you will be super speedy!!!

Carole
2009-09-10 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2399560

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-09-10 4:42 PM WOW!  How awesome is that to be able to meet in person!   I haven't had time lately to keep up on her blog here.  What is she doing in the states?  (Reword that into the 2nd person if you are reading this yourself, Yanti! )

I am definitely doing the tri on Sunday!   I have had a great week or so of training.  Even a nice 2mi run in the fog this morning.    I will lay off tomorrow and Saturday - travel on Saturday - then race on Sunday.  It is supposed to be a pretty flat course for the run, although I am a little worried about the traffic on the roads.  I am  used to country roads and this will be in the big city of Parker/Denver!!  YIKES!   I still haven't gotten a chance to swim again, but like I said before, I will do what I can do and have FUN doing it!!

TR- you are NOT a failure!  Try to look at the positive and think about what you have learned and how you have grown as a person.   Carole said it well.

Well, my fellow Manatees....send all your good vibes and prayers my way on Sunday morning!

Edit:It only took me 71 pages to get a top post!!! LOL

it was very awesome to meet!

she's traveling here on behalf of some of her father's interests - she's kind of an ambassador of sorts

she has some tough decisions in front of her, so send plenty of prayers and good thoughts her way

2009-09-10 6:12 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Sharie-

congrats on the Top post!

we'll be sending lots of good wishes to you on sunday for your race!!

2009-09-10 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2399799

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
lastcall2003 - 2009-09-10 4:11 PM

ranchrunner - 2009-09-10 4:42 PM WOW!  How awesome is that to be able to meet in person!   I haven't had time lately to keep up on her blog here.  What is she doing in the states?  (Reword that into the 2nd person if you are reading this yourself, Yanti! )

she's traveling here on behalf of some of her father's interests - she's kind of an ambassador of sorts

she has some tough decisions in front of her, so send plenty of prayers and good thoughts her way

I feel so close to Yanti - even though geographically we are so far apart and have never met in person. Although I believe our souls go hang out when we're sleeping. ;-)
2009-09-11 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

My, how time files! Lots going on with work so I haven't had much time to do anything else. I been on the trainer in the basement and I've gotten a couple runs in so I haven't been a complete slug (though I feel like it sometimes).

Sharie - Good luck on your race!

TR - I know a little bit of how you feel. I tried starting a construction business a long time ago but couldn't make it work for 100 different reasons. The facts are that MOST businesses fail and most of the time it isn't because you aren't smart enough or didn't work hard enough.

I have a couple questions. 1) I want to improve my swim times. What is the best way to make that happen? 2) Has anybody had any experience with online coaching? I was thinking about it for next season.

Have a great weekend!

Art

2009-09-11 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2401559

User image

Master
Vista, CA

reid15 - 2009-09-11 3:22 PM Hi Manatees! My, how time files! Lots going on with work so I haven't had much time to do anything else. I been on the trainer in the basement and I've gotten a couple runs in so I haven't been a complete slug (though I feel like it sometimes). Sharie - Good luck on your race! TR - I know a little bit of how you feel. I tried starting a construction business a long time ago but couldn't make it work for 100 different reasons. The facts are that MOST businesses fail and most of the time it isn't because you aren't smart enough or didn't work hard enough. I have a couple questions. 1) I want to improve my swim times. What is the best way to make that happen? 2) Has anybody had any experience with online coaching? I was thinking about it for next season. Have a great weekend! Art

Good luck Sharie!! Have fun.

Art -- I'm sure Beth will have great words of wisdom here, but when I asked the same question to others last year I got -- join a masters group. Get some coaching to make sure your technique is dialed in. Swim faster sets in your workouts. There was a great series of articles on active triathlete, I believe, about swimming faster and it included several workouts most of which consisted of repeated 50's and 100's. Just found the article I'm referring to:

http://www.active.com/swimming/Articles/Swim_Fast_to_Get_Fast__The_50s.htm

Maybe it will help. Glad to hear work is going all right for you.

Have a great weekend Manatee friends and flippers.

Lynn

2009-09-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2401559

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Art - I agree with joining a swim club - or at least get a few private lessons. At my local Y private lessons were only $40 for 3 45-minute sessions ... totally affordable, and it made such a huge huge difference in my swim times and endurance in the water.

THANKS EVERYONE for your kind words and support. I'll try to keep this short, but I've made a few decisions after having some major realizations ... I've been talking with a clinical counsellor who specializes in "helping women find their path" - she's amazing ... I have only spoken with her once so far and we don't meet again until Thursday, but even just having someone to talk this stuff out with is a big help.

Anyway - I have realized that I don't *want* my business to succeed. EEK! Here's the deal - I'm actually doing ok, considering I've only been in business 18 months and only been in a commercial space 8 months. I *know* that I can make it work if I really buckle down and work hard at it. I have a great business model, a unique idea that is catching on - I have a lot of interest and new clients contacting me every week (still not enough to catch up financially, but I'm still growing that client list) ... I've just realized that I don't want to do this anymore. I thought owning a business would be good for me - and it's not. I don't like it - and I'm not good at it. The teaching part, yeah, I shine - but the rest - the networking and the paperwork and the bookkeeping, man I suck. I hate it.

And I want to go home. THAT was my biggest realization. 3 years I've been living in this little city - 3 years I've been miserable. 3 years here I still don't have any friends (the people here are just plain cliquey and mean - if you weren't born and raised here they make social life hard) .. I miss my friends, I miss my old neighbourhood, I miss my old house, I miss my old support network ... I haven't had a date since I've moved here, and I really feel like my life is "on hold" because of this city. And I miss my old job.

I just want to go home.

Unfortunately - it's not that easy. I have to have eye surgery before they'll take me back - actually I have to go through the whole application process again as I'll be applying for a different position with my old force ... and selling and moving and finding a new house - the timing of possession dates combined with inflexible training start dates is intimidating ... I really worry about how this stress and move will impact my best friend - my old dog ... but then when I think of buying a house in my old neighbourhood (thankfully, still within my financial reach), going back to my old life, being with my friends again - I get *SO* excited!

My worry though is that I'm running away from here. This is what I do. I run away after a couple years in a place, at a job, with someone. So I'm working with my counsellor to make sure this decision is really what is in my heart - not just my wanting a change, not just my loneliness or fear or boredom making the decision.

Sorry - I guess that was a bit long!

I'm also scared to tell my parents. I know they won't support me.
2009-09-13 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2402110

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-09-12 10:17 AM Art - I agree with joining a swim club - or at least get a few private lessons. At my local Y private lessons were only $40 for 3 45-minute sessions ... totally affordable, and it made such a huge huge difference in my swim times and endurance in the water. THANKS EVERYONE for your kind words and support. I'll try to keep this short, but I've made a few decisions after having some major realizations ... I've been talking with a clinical counsellor who specializes in "helping women find their path" - she's amazing ... I have only spoken with her once so far and we don't meet again until Thursday, but even just having someone to talk this stuff out with is a big help. Anyway - I have realized that I don't *want* my business to succeed. EEK! Here's the deal - I'm actually doing ok, considering I've only been in business 18 months and only been in a commercial space 8 months. I *know* that I can make it work if I really buckle down and work hard at it. I have a great business model, a unique idea that is catching on - I have a lot of interest and new clients contacting me every week (still not enough to catch up financially, but I'm still growing that client list) ... I've just realized that I don't want to do this anymore. I thought owning a business would be good for me - and it's not. I don't like it - and I'm not good at it. The teaching part, yeah, I shine - but the rest - the networking and the paperwork and the bookkeeping, man I suck. I hate it. And I want to go home. THAT was my biggest realization. 3 years I've been living in this little city - 3 years I've been miserable. 3 years here I still don't have any friends (the people here are just plain cliquey and mean - if you weren't born and raised here they make social life hard) .. I miss my friends, I miss my old neighbourhood, I miss my old house, I miss my old support network ... I haven't had a date since I've moved here, and I really feel like my life is "on hold" because of this city. And I miss my old job. I just want to go home. Unfortunately - it's not that easy. I have to have eye surgery before they'll take me back - actually I have to go through the whole application process again as I'll be applying for a different position with my old force ... and selling and moving and finding a new house - the timing of possession dates combined with inflexible training start dates is intimidating ... I really worry about how this stress and move will impact my best friend - my old dog ... but then when I think of buying a house in my old neighbourhood (thankfully, still within my financial reach), going back to my old life, being with my friends again - I get *SO* excited! My worry though is that I'm running away from here. This is what I do. I run away after a couple years in a place, at a job, with someone. So I'm working with my counsellor to make sure this decision is really what is in my heart - not just my wanting a change, not just my loneliness or fear or boredom making the decision. Sorry - I guess that was a bit long! I'm also scared to tell my parents. I know they won't support me.

TR

thank you so much for sharing with us - it sounds like you are on the right path to discovering the right decision for TR.  In the end that's what is important.  I'm glad you have found such a wonderful counselor, having someone to talk to that is objective will be of immense help.

sometimes finding out what we don't like or want brings us one day, one step closer to what we do want

you will find your path, you have lots of positive energy lighting your way

my thoughts and prayers are with you

{{HUG!!!}}

2009-09-13 2:46 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Art, I definitely agree with Lynn and TR - lessons are a great help.  if you can join masters group that would be great as well.  i'm not sure exactly where you are at on your swim level, so it's hard to say if lessons or a masters group is the right place to start

There are three things I would emphasize

1.  time in the pool - try and swim at least 3 times a week
2.  focus on technique, not on speed - if you get the technique down, the speed will follow naturally
3.  incorporate drills into your workouts - don't do entire workouts of drills, but try and incorporate drills into every workout - i'm  a big believer in drills

a couple of common mistakes i see people make when they are trying to swim faster are:

Stroke:
  Speeding up the stroke and taking more strokes in an effort to go faster.  Increasing the number of strokes you take, can actually slow you down – (analysis of the swim stroke shows that efficiency matters most.).  Increasing the stroke count and the churn just tires you out and doesn’t move you through the water any faster.  Make more ease and flow, less noise and splash, your primary goal – increases in efficiency will follow. (drills that help you understand and reduce your stroke count are invaluable)

Kick:  Often when people are trying to increase their speed they have a tendency make their kick bigger – when you bend your leg to create a bigger kick, it causes the upper leg to move down and creates drag.  This drag can create such resistance that it cancels out the propulsion from your foot, which will slow you down

let me know if there are any specific questions you have -  if i don't know the answer, i can most likely find it

2009-09-13 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2400059

User image

Melon Presser
SpiritFire - 2009-09-11 9:34 AM
lastcall2003 - 2009-09-10 4:11 PM

I feel so close to Yanti - even though geographically we are so far apart and have never met in person. Although I believe our souls go hang out when we're sleeping. ;-)

Oh, they do, they do!

TR, first, I so deeply appreciate your support and kindness when you yourself are going through tough times and difficult decisions.

Second, I profoundly identify with where you're at. And I am so proud of your honesty with yourself, that you really want to make the right decision and not having it be "running away" from a situation, and that you're seeking counsel. I also really get the parents not approving thing. It hurts. But it also sounds like you are doing what's best for yourself, and that's most important.

I know you will make the right decision. My heart and prayers are with you.

2009-09-13 4:43 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Yes, it was phenomenal to meet Miss Bethie Love. She is one of the finest souls on earth and the short time together we had was deeply comforting and just plain delightful to me.

She's also just HAWTT. She actually looks like Tinkerbell.

Many apologies for being silent lately--haven't kept up my blog either.

It's been difficult.

Everything in me is screaming out to NOT go back to Jakarta, just to stay here and start anew. And I just can't seem to get clarity on what to do.

2009-09-13 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2403522

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Oh Yanti ... you and I need to get together in person and just cry, talk, drink, eat, and just work it out. Maybe we should trade for a while. You run away from Jakarta and deal with my mess, and I'll run away from here and work on yours.

I wish I had advice for you ... but ... clearly - I am not in a position to be giving anyone advice. So please accept my love and support and cyber-hugs instead.
2009-09-13 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2403522

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
TriAya - 2009-09-13 5:43 PM Yes, it was phenomenal to meet Miss Bethie Love. She is one of the finest souls on earth and the short time together we had was deeply comforting and just plain delightful to me.

She's also just HAWTT. She actually looks like Tinkerbell.

Many apologies for being silent lately--haven't kept up my blog either.

It's been difficult.

Everything in me is screaming out to NOT go back to Jakarta, just to stay here and start anew. And I just can't seem to get clarity on what to do.

it was so wonderful to meet you as well - talk about one of the finest souls on earth!

Yanti....

clarity will come   just keep faith

mwah!

ps
i  guess i am quite pixie like

2009-09-14 12:34 AM

User image

Master
Utah

YANTI!!! It's so good to "see" you again!

I am so glad that we have such a kind and supportive group here. Sorry I haven't chimed in much lately--I've been here, lurking, and everyone else seems to have the same responses I do, so I've just kept quiet.

*sigh* I like quiet right now, though. Did I mention that the construction crew is supposed to finish the work on the basement this week? YAY. Then I can sleep do my chores in peace and quiet.

I have a question for you guys: how do you get enough fruits and veggies, and protein into your diets? I have never been a fan of veggies--I'm better now, but still uber picky about both my fruits and veggies. And I've never really learned to cook. I can do pretty much anything in a box, of course, but my energy levels definitely suffer...finding easy/yummy things to do that are healthy, and figuring out how to pick the produce, and prepare/cook the food...ugh. I suck. So, here I am, fall is bearing down on me and I have lost ALL motivation to plan meals lately. I am trying, but I could use some help. Anybody out there want to teach me how to plan/prepare decent meals?  :-\ Oh, and the power to my deep freezer was somehow cut off a few days ago, so I now have a good excuse to go stock up on everything and anything at costco. Help.

2009-09-14 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi everybody!

Thanks for all the advice on improving my swimming. I had some lessons last year when I was just getting started and they really helped. Since I don't have a swimming background, it's hard for me to evaluate my technique (but I'm sure it's nothing to brag about) so I think I'm going to try some drills and then get some more lessons. If you have any specific drills you've found helpful let me know.

Yaniti & TR - I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon and I wish you peace in the meantime.

Amy - I can't help much with food advice except to tell you to get recipes from friends and experiment. We buy fresh fruit & vegetables when they are in season and freeze it when possible.

Art

2009-09-14 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Thanks for all the love and prayers!   I won another AG silver medal!  This time there were 13 in my AG.    I HAVE to work on the running since that is where I keep losing the gold!    I beat the winner in the pool, T1, bike and T2...lost it on the run.  

It is late now, I just got home, but I wanted to tell my favorite Tri friends!   More to come......

Blessings,
Sharie
2009-09-15 12:24 AM

User image

Master
Utah

Woohoo, Sharie!!!! Great job! Congratulations. 

2009-09-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2406487

User image

Master
Vista, CA

ranchrunner - 2009-09-14 9:36 PM Thanks for all the love and prayers!   I won another AG silver medal!  This time there were 13 in my AG.    I HAVE to work on the running since that is where I keep losing the gold!    I beat the winner in the pool, T1, bike and T2...lost it on the run.  

It is late now, I just got home, but I wanted to tell my favorite Tri friends!   More to come......

Blessings,
Sharie

Oh my gosh!! Two tris and two medals. You're amazing. CONGRATULATIONS!!

2009-09-15 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
WOW!!  That is FANTASTIC!!!!  GO SHARIE!!
2009-09-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2404340

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
givemashot - 2009-09-14 1:34 AM

YANTI!!! It's so good to "see" you again!

I am so glad that we have such a kind and supportive group here. Sorry I haven't chimed in much lately--I've been here, lurking, and everyone else seems to have the same responses I do, so I've just kept quiet.

*sigh* I like quiet right now, though. Did I mention that the construction crew is supposed to finish the work on the basement this week? YAY. Then I can sleep do my chores in peace and quiet.

I have a question for you guys: how do you get enough fruits and veggies, and protein into your diets? I have never been a fan of veggies--I'm better now, but still uber picky about both my fruits and veggies. And I've never really learned to cook. I can do pretty much anything in a box, of course, but my energy levels definitely suffer...finding easy/yummy things to do that are healthy, and figuring out how to pick the produce, and prepare/cook the food...ugh. I suck. So, here I am, fall is bearing down on me and I have lost ALL motivation to plan meals lately. I am trying, but I could use some help. Anybody out there want to teach me how to plan/prepare decent meals?  :-\ Oh, and the power to my deep freezer was somehow cut off a few days ago, so I now have a good excuse to go stock up on everything and anything at costco. Help.

Hi Amy,

back when I had a freezer and lots of space, i would dedicate one weekend a month to preparing a bunch of meals and freezing them, I found it to be a great way to always have something healthy and yummy on hand

as far as getting fruits and veggies in, i always put some sort of fruit in my morning yogurt - usually blueberries or strawberries, it make the yogurt more satisfying and also gets a fruit in

I buy baby carrots and split them up into individual baggies when I get home from the store, I use that as one of my afternoon snacks.  My other snack is usually sugar free jello pudding - yum!

i try and always make sure that we have a fruit or vegetable with dinner and most nights i have a salad with dinner

i hope this helps a little

2009-09-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2405746

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2009-09-14 4:58 PM Hi everybody! Thanks for all the advice on improving my swimming. I had some lessons last year when I was just getting started and they really helped. Since I don't have a swimming background, it's hard for me to evaluate my technique (but I'm sure it's nothing to brag about) so I think I'm going to try some drills and then get some more lessons. If you have any specific drills you've found helpful let me know. Yaniti & TR - I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon and I wish you peace in the meantime. Amy - I can't help much with food advice except to tell you to get recipes from friends and experiment. We buy fresh fruit & vegetables when they are in season and freeze it when possible. Art

Art as a performance member of BT, you have access to videos of swim drills - i've found them to be really useful and have used them myself

here's the link

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1349

cheers!

2009-09-17 12:33 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-09-15 12:36 AM Thanks for all the love and prayers!   I won another AG silver medal!  This time there were 13 in my AG.    I HAVE to work on the running since that is where I keep losing the gold!    I beat the winner in the pool, T1, bike and T2...lost it on the run.  

Blessings,
Sharie

sorry for the delay in my seeing this

2009-09-17 12:35 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Hi Manatees,

I wanted to let everyone know that I talked to Yanti last night.  I literally caught her just hours before she was going to get on a plane.

She is headed back to Jakarta.  It's been a very difficult decision for her.

Please send her lots of positive energy

2009-09-18 11:36 PM

User image

Master
Utah

Speaking of positive energy, please send some my way, as well. Tomorrow I will be doing what should have been my first OWS tri. The open water part has been cancelled due to a roundworm "infestation". (7 out of 14 samples from the lake/beaches were positive, with 3 cases of worms in people). Instead, the RD elected to move the swim to a 3 lane wide, 25 yard pool that is in the area. So, I will be swimming 75 yards, running about a mile to transition, then doing the original 11-ish mile bike and 5k run around the lake as planned. While I like that I am not exposing myself to the worms, I am worried about the run right before the bike. My bike and I are not the best of friends, and this ride is mostly uphill until the turnaround point. Add to that the fact that I have the slowest T1 and T2 times anyway, and I will now be changing shoes 2 times instead of once... I will be fine. Right? Right. I am headed to bed. Soon. As soon as I pack. The race is alongside Oquirrh Lake in South Jordan, Utah. I should be in the water around 830/9-ish AM, and done by about 2 hours later. I'll be thinking of you guys!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59