BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-05-05 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3484542

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Since we're posting pictures.  Here's a great action shot from a couple of years ago.  Shows you how to run with your wetsuit.

2011-05-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3484542

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Terps421 - 2011-05-05 7:22 PM
velcromom - 2011-05-05 2:33 PM

Marathon pictures are up....including me ready to pass out at the fihish!  I'm number 4883

http://www.marathonfoto.com/index.cfm?action=site.login

edit: apparently you need my last name, too....Nollette

Linda, your smile is absolutely wonderful, thanks for sharing! You rock!

These are great photos....I hope you're buying at least one to memorialize a great effort. 

PS. How do you run in that necklace?  I think the bouncing would drive me crazy.

2011-05-05 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3484543

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
dalessit - 2011-05-05 7:24 PM

Since we're posting pictures.  Here's a great action shot from a couple of years ago.  Shows you how to run with your wetsuit.

WOW!Surprised

2011-05-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion
marietta
b cup... without sponges!!!!
2011-05-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3484612

User image

Elite
san francisco

fattyfatfat - 2011-05-05 6:20 PM b cup... without sponges!!!!

Them's C cups, boy!  The best part about Tony's post is that it puts you right at the top of the page.  

2011-05-05 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3484639

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-05-05 9:43 PM

fattyfatfat - 2011-05-05 6:20 PM b cup... without sponges!!!!

Them's C cups, boy!  The best part about Tony's post is that it puts you right at the top of the page.  

ha!

2011-05-05 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3476630

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Techdiver - 2011-05-01 9:59 PM

Well Marla. I totally focused on some cross training workout I got from this mentor group last time. Swam my butt off two days a week and hit the bike on the trainer a lot. And P90X when I could. I feared it all... 4 weeks ago I was cleared to run but struggled with a 2k run. I then got reset by my Chiro found my hip out of place causing my tracking issues. and I was able to start picking up some volume on the running. I also eased in helping my friend run her learn to run group on monday nights... starting with 1 min run 4 min walk... and to be honest I struggled at first with the knee... So I backed off again an only ran monday nights with this group.. 2 weeks ago.. after another chrio appointment I finally had my core back and I was able to run easy 4km... then a couple of 5km... If you keep up the other stuff you will be totally fine. Not only was I fine but I actually improved.

It all started 2 months ago when my buddy stef dropped off a tri mag about an elite tri woman that was injured.. she swam 5 days a week and spun easy 2 days a week.. eventually picking up the spinning... when she got back to running she completed her fastest HM and fastest HIM. It showed me that you can not only keep your base you can build on it and get stronger.

So you can TOTALLY DO IT. Just make sure you don't push the injury. Every time I had a tiny hint or niggle of something I stopped right away. hence the not run more then 2km... I got a niggle I stopped. I could have run through it but why.

Thanks! That's really encouraging. I feel like I've started back to running so slowly but my PT - also a certified running coach - thinks I'm still not going slowly enough, which is really interesting - wish I knew more about the physiology of it.

What did you do the week leading up to your race? Mine's 2 weeks from Sunday, and  I feel like every day's getting me a little bit stronger, so I don't know if or when or how much I should ease up the week leading up to the race. It sounds like you've done more than me - have only done 1 spin class & one decent hilly short ride in the last couple month, and those were last week. leading up to that it was just building up to an hour on the trainer, then some short (8, 10) mile rides on the road.

2011-05-06 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow you don't have to be away from this group long to have the conversation turn to butts, boobs and BS.....LOVE IT !!!!

I own a sleeveless wetsuit and like the fact that it does not restrict my arms, however there is an OWS this weekend and there is NO WAY I am getting in that water....hovering around 58-60 (just found out official temp 51 - NFW!). If there is one thing I hate it is cold water...yes I am a wimp....

No race this weekend although I was thinking about a trail race...too much going on....get to sing in the choir for first communion on Saturday morning and then Mothers day on Sunday...I guess I have to do something for my wife right? Although she is not my mother...that should be my kids job? Is it possible to count on 20 year old's to do something for their mother? Probably should not hold my breath......

OK serious equipment question. I hate goggles I have not found a pair that I like, and get overwhelmed looking at all the choices. I plan on buying a couple different pairs and styles....need recommendations....manufacturers? Models?

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-05-06 7:48 AM
2011-05-06 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3484961

User image

Champion
bfwhitt - 2011-05-06 8:36 AM

Wow you don't have to be away from this group long to have the conversation turn to butts, boobs and BS.....LOVE IT !!!!

I own a sleeveless wetsuit and like the fact that it does not restrict my arms, however there is an OWS this weekend and there is NO WAY I am getting in that water....hovering around 58-60 (just found out official temp 51 - NFW!). If there is one thing I hate it is cold water...yes I am a wimp....

No race this weekend although I was thinking about a trail race...too much going on....get to sing in the choir for first communion on Saturday morning and then Mothers day on Sunday...I guess I have to do something for my wife right? Although she is not my mother...that should be my kids job? Is it possible to count on 20 year old's to do something for their mother? Probably should not hold my breath......

OK serious equipment question. I hate goggles I have not found a pair that I like, and get overwhelmed looking at all the choices. I plan on buying a couple different pairs and styles....need recommendations....manufacturers? Models?

They do make wetsuit sleeves you can put on, Obviously there is some gap but might work for keeping you warm.

As for goggles, I like Speedo Vanquishers they seal well and aren't overly expensive.  I replace goggles at least once a year.  Once they start to fog up they get relegated to pool goggles.

2011-05-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3484961

User image

Extreme Veteran
bfwhitt - 2011-05-06 8:36 AM....

FWIW, I had the same problem until I tried the Aquasphere Cayenne.  I have found that those fit well on me, provide excellent field of vision in the water, and -- apart from making me look like Kurt Rambis -- are exactly what I need in goggles.  I tried them because I went into Paragon Sports (I think) when I was in NYC and did not have my old goggles with me on that trip, and Paragon had one of each type/brand of goggles out of the box for customers to check out.  I tried the fit by pressing the goggles against my face without using the strap behind.  Because the Aquasphere Cayenne stuck on my face without falling off, I believed it was the right fit and got a pair.  I have not been disappointed.

(I will rely on John to: a) provide a link to the cayenne; and b) to provide a picture of Kurt Rambis.)

2011-05-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3485036

User image

Champion
Tobey91 - 2011-05-06 9:18 AM

FWIW, I had the same problem until I tried the Aquasphere Cayenne.  I have found that those fit well on me, provide excellent field of vision in the water, and -- apart from making me look like Kurt Rambis -- are exactly what I need in goggles.  I tried them because I went into Paragon Sports (I think) when I was in NYC and did not have my old goggles with me on that trip, and Paragon had one of each type/brand of goggles out of the box for customers to check out.  I tried the fit by pressing the goggles against my face without using the strap behind.  Because the Aquasphere Cayenne stuck on my face without falling off, I believed it was the right fit and got a pair.  I have not been disappointed.

(I will rely on John to: a) provide a link to the cayenne; and b) to provide a picture of Kurt Rambis.)

Goggles I think tend to be a personal preference, I did not have good luck with the cayenne's, so you might have to do some trial and error on finding ones that fit you correctly.

2011-05-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3485053

User image

Extreme Veteran

^^^^^^^ agree

Edited by Tobey91 2011-05-06 8:30 AM
2011-05-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3484543

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2011-05-05 6:24 PM

best part of the picture is it was taken in T2

2011-05-06 8:42 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Tobey91 - 2011-05-06 7:18 AM

I had no idea who you were talking about, but i got him now.

2011-05-06 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I like the TYR Nest-pro.

And, Suzy - the necklace doesn't bug me at all.   Since it's my 'tattoo', I rarely take it off!

2011-05-06 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Quick question, can you race Tri's wearing calve sleeves? I am asking becuase I know they mark you legs so I was wondering about it. Reason asking is stupid stupid stupid stupid me ran 3.5 miles in Vibrams and the next morning did a brick where I decided to push myself to try and find my limit for racing and now my right calf is super tight and sore so I was going to purchase a pair of sleeves for future training and racing.

On another note, does anyone actually use these and what are your thoughts?

2011-05-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3484533

User image

Extreme Veteran
jfought - 2011-05-05 8:14 PM

Redknight - 2011-05-05 4:54 PM Hey Jayne. Lots of good info about the wet suits and of course Suzy's bottom (also thinking cute .. good call John)
One of the best things about the wet suit is the buoyancy, especially if you are nervous about the water. You can stop swimming for a bit and you will just float along. (The tightness across your chest will disappear just before you pass out from lack of oxygen. The good thing is this will happen before you get to the water anyway.)  Really though after you have it on a few times you'll hardly notice it and the difference in your confidence in the water more than makes up for snugness. Definitely burp the suit in the water. It's  two fold, 1) to help get rid of the tightness and 2) to let a little water in between you and the wet suit. Once that small film of water has heated up to your body temp you will remain warm throughout the swim.

You're right.  There is a lot of good information mixed in with the b.s., and it's been really helpful.  Can you seriously stop swimming and just float for a bit?  That sounds AWESOME.  I'm not scheduled for my first tri until June 25th, but I'm thinking about signing up for a really small local tri on May 21st.  (note:  haven't registered yet.  still debating) Thought it would be a good chance to get this "first tri" thing over with. Embarassed  But, the water is still really cold, so the wetsuit rental would be necessary.  Let me see if I got this all straight. . .

1.  Work my body into the skin tight wetsuit that feels way too small.  Remembering that you will only feel like you're going to pass out from the constriction. 

2.  Give it a few extra tugs until it is practically up my a$$.  (cute a$$ if we're talking about suzy)

3.  Make sure there is plenty of room at the shoulders

4.  Get the wetsuit wet (only pee in it if you own it)

5.  Work some of the water in between the wetsuit and your skin ("burp" it)

6.  Swim like a dolphin!!!!!

Honestly, I don't know why anybody would be nervous about their first tri!!! Surprised

also one last thing, if you get hot during your swim or if you have a hard time getting your wetsuit off, before running out of the water to t1, pull the collar down and allow the water to come in.  Cools you down and helps to get the suit off faster (at least for me).

2011-05-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3485142

User image

Champion
GrapeJuice - 2011-05-06 10:04 AM

Quick question, can you race Tri's wearing calve sleeves? I am asking becuase I know they mark you legs so I was wondering about it. Reason asking is stupid stupid stupid stupid me ran 3.5 miles in Vibrams and the next morning did a brick where I decided to push myself to try and find my limit for racing and now my right calf is super tight and sore so I was going to purchase a pair of sleeves for future training and racing.

Per USAT you can.  They actually tried to ban compression socks last year using that same logic that you couldn't see the numbers on the calves, but they reversed their decision.

I have the 2xU sleeves and like them for recovery.  I tried running in them and they just felt weird, I didn't like the feeling of my whole calf moving up and down at the same time while running.

2011-05-06 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've seen people wear them.  you'll have numbers all over the place, your arm, helmet, bike leg, running bib (not sure what you call it)...  if you're worried about it just ask the market to write your number on your left leg?

i've used it in a 10k race before but for a different reason.  it was freezing and i hate wearing running tights..   I like them..

2011-05-06 9:24 AM

User image

Champion

Someone is selling a pair for 15 bucks including shipping right now in classifieds, might be a good cheap way to try them out.

2011-05-06 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3485053

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2011-05-06 9:27 AM

Goggles I think tend to be a personal preference, I did not have good luck with the cayenne's, so you might have to do some trial and error on finding ones that fit you correctly.

agree on tony and toby's post.  its personal and i wear aquashere. 

here they are in pink!!!  plenty of lens colors to choose from, just like the other brands

2011-05-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3485087

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-05-06 9:42 AM

typical canadian, doesn't know who kurt rambis is.  and probably the two celtics behind him i s'pose as well.      short shorts. ha!

2011-05-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3485268

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-06 11:05 AM

typical canadian, doesn't know who kurt rambis is.  and probably the two celtics behind him i s'pose as well.      short shorts. ha!

Bird and McHale

2011-05-06 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

the minnows avatar was taken during IMWI.  she'll be here in a bit to tell you about it and to ride your a$$ about running to much to fast in those vff's  (which she should!!!!!!

no rules against wearing them. 

2011-05-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3485278

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2011-05-06 11:09 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-06 11:05 AM

Bird and McHale

nice! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298