BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-08-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4377668

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
Now THAT cracked me up!!  Maybe you need to wear the water wings too, Tammy!

2012-08-26 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4377668

User image

Expert
tstl - 2012-08-23 7:12 PM

Exactly how I feel about swimming some days...
LOVE it! Captures that "don't WANNA!!" feeling perfectly!
2012-08-27 4:53 AM
in reply to: #4380969

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Whew, what a weekend, and today is the first day of school (w/ kids).  Got THE call just after midnight after I went to bed on Friday night, it was time!!  Kati had her second baby boy and my second grandchild at 5:26 a.m., 7 pounds 5 oz, 20 inches long.  And a full head of hair!!  There are pics on my blog...  I was exhausted after staying up all night, but managed to not sleep until 9 pm that night and then slept 11 and a half hours.  Yesterday was my last day and had to get stuff done, make my weekly lunches, get the laundry done, and I went back to the hospital for Kati's discharge since they had 2 cars up there and she's not supposed to drive until she is off the pain killers (she had her tubes tied too).  Of course she called and said she was being discharged in 45 minutes which was more like 2 hours!  Spent a good chunk of the afternoon raking leaves... I don't know what's up, it isn't even Sept., it's definitely not cold and the trees are dropping bunches of leaves!  Strange.  Got to bed on time, and got up with the alarm at 4 a.m. to get a swim in before the day begins.  We have to be to school by 6:55 a.m. for duty for the next 3 days, ugh...
2012-09-01 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4381636

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on becoming a grandma again Hilde.

Hope everyone's training is still going well.

Mine's back at square one again due to shin issues. Not sure whether to just start the conservative c25k over again - I'm ok if I don't walk fast, but after about 2 mins of fast walking the shin hurts again - or go with the beginner exercise program which starts with biking then swimming and finally running.

One more question - would it be worth doing some of my running/walking on the eliptical thingy to save my shins from the impact?

2012-09-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4391628

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Suzie, the ellipitcal is good for cardio, and it mimics walking/running, but it doesnt give you the stress you need to build up your running muscles.  I have used it during times I was injured, but it's not the same, seems WAY too easy.  And you may find it doesn't help your shin issues, but worth a try.  If you're going to the gym to try the elliptical, why not try the treadmill first, it's easier on the joints...
2012-09-04 1:09 AM
in reply to: #4391856

Extreme Veteran
Thanks. I've got a personal training session tomorrow so I'll probably end up trying both. Going to do a bit more bike riding for a few weeks so I'm not bearing as much weight too.

2012-09-04 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4393768

Extreme Veteran
TM went ok for the shins and ankles except for a few times when it hurt but nothing too bad. Same for the eliptical. The PT wants me to continue doing what she had me do today for a few more weeks before introducing the weights again so I'm going to take the same approach with running.
2012-09-04 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I just booked the hotel for my Saturday race, so just got real. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for this one. It's a HIM in a scenic area in NE AZ, good timing for the final buildup to IMAZ and all, but with a couple of tiny problems. First, it's on Saturday, and it's a 4-hour drive. I can't very well take my daughter out of school for a silly race, and I have to be back at work Sunday afternoon (which would cut any weekend recreation short), so the family will stay home :-(. Second, it somehow escaped my attention that this place is over 6000 feet elevation! I knew it was up there, but not UP THERE! And then there are the hills. I am going to die, I just know it. At least I'm relieved of the pressure of trying to PR, because there's not a bleeping chance of that! Maybe I'll just use it as a chance to try out IM pacing and nutrition (sigh, sounds like a waste of a weekend). I initially thought this would be a fun family weekend, but now it just seems like an expensive waste of time that will keep me away from my family for most of the weekend (cue pity party!). Anyone else have a race this weekend?
2012-09-05 4:29 AM
in reply to: #4395587

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Tammy, sounds like a fun time!  Hills at 6000 feet, whoo hoo!!!  And a 4 hour drive too?  Pure awesomeness!!  Maybe not what you had planned for, so just think of it as a really long training session, and I'm sure it won't be wasted time!  And ask your daughter if she would MIND missing school, maybe there's not a lot going on Friday afternoon and she would like some special Mom time bonding.... well then again, she is middle school, but it's worth the ask!
2012-09-05 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok, Tammy's race "issues" make mine look pathetic, but I'd like to join the pity party...

I'm registered for a race (sprint) this Sunday.  I'm really waffling as to whether I'm looking forward to it or dreading it.  I've been really slacking on the run.  I just don't want to run.  I'm having a bit of PF pain in one foot.  The weather has been wet so far this week and looks to be wet on the weekend as well.  The bike route is probably OK, unless it floods.  The run is a trail run.  That's the part that worries me the most.  I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.  I guess it will be a last minute choice whether I race or not.

Edited by rustymom 2012-09-05 8:34 AM
2012-09-05 5:36 PM

Extreme Veteran

Tammy - practice race to sort things out sounds perfect. Plus if you can sort them out UP THERE you'll be fine back on the normal stuff

RM - sorry my mind's gone blank on real name. Hope you make the right decision. Maybe try the trail and see if you like running on it before you make up your mind whether to do the race or not.

AFM - I've already decided not to do my November race since my training went bye bye but I may target the last one in the series which is March. That gives me enough time to build up using the beginner exercise program - probably where I am bike wise, and chuck in some walking/running and swimming. I need to not go too fast with the running this time though so I'm going to just walk for 4-6 weeks and then reconsider the running thing again. Probably going with the conservative c25k and not taking week 1 over 30 sec intervals.

2012-09-06 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Umm, yes, I have a race this weekend-- my IM! (insert long and involved explanation of lack of connectivity and apologies here...) After dealing with some last-minute would-be emergencies (that were of course nothing of the kind) from work, I skeddaddled out of town last week to begin the multi-stage road trip to Montreal, where I now am. (Yes, there will be log updates at some point...). Got in yesterday afternoon to a friend's house, and today's task is to drive to the race site (the Ile de Notre Dame, in the middle of the St. Lawrence) to check out the bike and run courses-- both are loops: the bike's the Formula 1 track, and the run will be around the rowing basin where we swim. Ideally I'll be able to get out there, park, and do a couple of laps of each before it rains. I suspect, though, that the traffic might be the toughest part...we'll see! Now that I can reliably log on etc, will update you with this particular adventure when I get back and am trying to keep myself from going nucking futz on my second-last taper day, since race day is Saturday...stay tuned!
2012-09-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4397816

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Alex is alive!!!  And about to become an IRONMAN, I am not worthy of all of you IRON people!!  Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!! 
2012-09-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4397816

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

wrkinprogress - 2012-09-06 8:07 AM Umm, yes, I have a race this weekend-- my IM! (insert long and involved explanation of lack of connectivity and apologies here...) After dealing with some last-minute would-be emergencies (that were of course nothing of the kind) from work, I skeddaddled out of town last week to begin the multi-stage road trip to Montreal, where I now am. (Yes, there will be log updates at some point...). Got in yesterday afternoon to a friend's house, and today's task is to drive to the race site (the Ile de Notre Dame, in the middle of the St. Lawrence) to check out the bike and run courses-- both are loops: the bike's the Formula 1 track, and the run will be around the rowing basin where we swim. Ideally I'll be able to get out there, park, and do a couple of laps of each before it rains. I suspect, though, that the traffic might be the toughest part...we'll see! Now that I can reliably log on etc, will update you with this particular adventure when I get back and am trying to keep myself from going nucking futz on my second-last taper day, since race day is Saturday...stay tuned!

Good luck on Saturday, Alex!!  Keep us posted on how things go!!!  I"ll be thinking of you!!! 

2012-09-06 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

And best of luck this weekend to Andrea and Tammy, too!! 

I have officially lost my tri training mojo.  One more tri left for me next weekend (16th) and that's a wrap for my season.  Can't wait!  I will most likely be stuffing my face with Dunkin Donuts munchkins for the next few months while I rest my shin some more.  Then will come back strong and fierce in 2013!

2012-09-06 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

tstl - 2012-09-04 11:32 PM Well, I just booked the hotel for my Saturday race, so just got real. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for this one. It's a HIM in a scenic area in NE AZ, good timing for the final buildup to IMAZ and all, but with a couple of tiny problems. First, it's on Saturday, and it's a 4-hour drive. I can't very well take my daughter out of school for a silly race, and I have to be back at work Sunday afternoon (which would cut any weekend recreation short), so the family will stay home :-(. Second, it somehow escaped my attention that this place is over 6000 feet elevation! I knew it was up there, but not UP THERE! And then there are the hills. I am going to die, I just know it. At least I'm relieved of the pressure of trying to PR, because there's not a bleeping chance of that! Maybe I'll just use it as a chance to try out IM pacing and nutrition (sigh, sounds like a waste of a weekend). I initially thought this would be a fun family weekend, but now it just seems like an expensive waste of time that will keep me away from my family for most of the weekend (cue pity party!). Anyone else have a race this weekend?

Good luck anyways.  It will be an excellent training session for IMAZ though!

I have Nation's Tri this weekend.

2012-09-06 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
So I made it out to the race site today...WOW, guys. Riding on the F1 course is AMAZING: utterly pristine tarmac, almost completely level, and it wends its way around parts of the island so you can look at something besides tarmac as well. Felt like my legs were just turning over automatically, without too much effort, and was stunned to look at my watch later and find I'd been averaging 17.1 mph! That's with some slowdowns at some temporary stop signs and one spectacular road-rash-inducing fall when a service truck came at such an intersection and I had to stop FAST and of course forgot to clip out in time... No worries, though: just some minor scrapes and bruises. The bike and I are otherwise fine, and I biked for 20 more minutes after just to make sure. The run around the rowing basin is pancake-flat, and the rowing basin itself has what looks like permanent lane lines, so that should help all of us swim in straight lines for a while! Left there feeling REALLY good: not cocky by any means, but 'twas certainly a boost to my confidence. Pre-race talk is tomorrow at 5pm, so I'll pick up my sister from the airport and we'll head down to the expo together so I can check in. Meanwhile, the clock ticketh... More later, no doubt!
2012-09-06 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Alex, Andrea, Tammy and Melanie - good luck with your races this weekend! 

I'm doing one also although mine's not a tri - just a 10k run.  Since my DNF last month, my bike and I are not friendsUndecided.  I'm taking a break from the cycling for a while and just concentrating on running. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Janet2

2012-09-06 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4395880

User image

Expert
Falls Church
rustymom - 2012-09-05 8:33 AM

Ok, Tammy's race "issues" make mine look pathetic, but I'd like to join the pity party...

I'm registered for a race (sprint) this Sunday.  I'm really waffling as to whether I'm looking forward to it or dreading it.  I've been really slacking on the run.  I just don't want to run.  I'm having a bit of PF pain in one foot.  The weather has been wet so far this week and looks to be wet on the weekend as well.  The bike route is probably OK, unless it floods.  The run is a trail run.  That's the part that worries me the most.  I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.  I guess it will be a last minute choice whether I race or not.

I hope you go for it.  Maybe if it's a nice day do it.  If the weather is crappy not?  Maybe just do the swim and bike?  

PF is not something to mess around with.  Do you have a boot to wear at night?  Will help get things healed.

2012-09-06 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4398763

User image

Expert
Falls Church

wrkinprogress - 2012-09-06 1:50 PM So I made it out to the race site today...WOW, guys. Riding on the F1 course is AMAZING: utterly pristine tarmac, almost completely level, and it wends its way around parts of the island so you can look at something besides tarmac as well. Felt like my legs were just turning over automatically, without too much effort, and was stunned to look at my watch later and find I'd been averaging 17.1 mph! That's with some slowdowns at some temporary stop signs and one spectacular road-rash-inducing fall when a service truck came at such an intersection and I had to stop FAST and of course forgot to clip out in time... No worries, though: just some minor scrapes and bruises. The bike and I are otherwise fine, and I biked for 20 more minutes after just to make sure. The run around the rowing basin is pancake-flat, and the rowing basin itself has what looks like permanent lane lines, so that should help all of us swim in straight lines for a while! Left there feeling REALLY good: not cocky by any means, but 'twas certainly a boost to my confidence. Pre-race talk is tomorrow at 5pm, so I'll pick up my sister from the airport and we'll head down to the expo together so I can check in. Meanwhile, the clock ticketh... More later, no doubt!

Good luck!!

2012-09-06 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
And good luck at your races this weekend, Melanie and Janet2!!  Wow, lots of MMMers representing this weekend!  Woohoo!

2012-09-06 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alex- D'oh! I can't believe I forgot your race was the same day as mine. Good luck, I know you're going to do well and have fun!

Andrea, sometimes a race is what it takes to get your head (and heart) back into the game. If the foot and the weather cooperate, consider doing the race, but just focus on enjoying yourself. Maybe make it a goal to cheer on as many other racers as you can, or help out a noob.

Melanie- have a great time at Nation's! I have fond memories of that one, it being my first Oly and all. Boy, was I nervous! I had never done a 3 HOUR WORKOUT before! Now 3 hours is a 'short' bike! Oh, and it was humbling, too. First, there was the 71-year old man who started several waves behind me but passed me on the run like I was standing still. Then there's my finish chute video which clearly shows me being passed by a woman who is at least 7 months pregnant!

Janet2, good luck on the 10K! Hope you and your bike become friends again soon!

2012-09-06 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Off to bed early, gang...tummy's got the butterflies, but I have some meds to help with that, and my sister arrives tomorrow. Big unknown is the weather: forecasts range from a possibility of showers to 90% chance of thunderstorms. Can't control it, so won't worry about it: we'll see what happens tomorrow at the course talk. GOOD LUCK to all racing MMMers this weekend: I know you'll be fabulous and have fun!
2012-09-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4399410

User image

Expert
tstl - 2012-09-06 7:45 PM

Alex- D'oh! I can't believe I forgot your race was the same day as mine. Good luck, I know you're going to do well and have fun!

*laughs* Not as if you don't have a zillion OTHER things to think about right now! Hope your HIM goes smoothly and well: have fun, even at altitude!
2012-09-07 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good luck everyone this weekend!

Breathe deeply and appreciate the moment!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61