BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-19 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4706862

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

chapfallen - 2013-04-19 9:55 AM Have a great time doing your relay Rich! The Ragnar relays sound like a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes.

A reminder to everyone else that its weigh in day. Get your weights in and I'll update the table.

I'm going to skip weighing in this week because I got signed off my probation at work yesterday. This is a pretty big deal because a) it's taken nearly 3 years and b) it means that my job is now secure for the duration of my career short of gross misconduct. So there was takeaway last night to celebrate at home and today I bought Krispy Kreme for my entire shift because its a tradition that you get cakes in when you're signed off. The challenge will be making sure my eating is better after this so that I'm back on track by next week.

Congratulations!

I skipped the weigh in.  Limited exercise this week with my leg issues and poor eating, I KNOW I am up.

No response from Blue when I emailed them myself.  Not too happy about this.

2013-04-19 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
I was so excited about my bike that I forgot to mention other good news - down to 152.4 this week! Getting closer to that 150 pound milestone... Even with the conference eating last week...
2013-04-19 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
OK...heading out for OWS practice swim in a bit. Freaking out major. Also going to OWS clinic tomorrow morning. Have the opportunity to OWS nearly every other week if not more often before my HIM in September. I can conquer this. I can. But right now I'm panicking.
2013-04-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4707026

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

enders_shadow - 2013-04-19 4:40 PM
chapfallen - 2013-04-19 9:55 AM Have a great time doing your relay Rich! The Ragnar relays sound like a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes.

A reminder to everyone else that its weigh in day. Get your weights in and I'll update the table.

I'm going to skip weighing in this week because I got signed off my probation at work yesterday. This is a pretty big deal because a) it's taken nearly 3 years and b) it means that my job is now secure for the duration of my career short of gross misconduct. So there was takeaway last night to celebrate at home and today I bought Krispy Kreme for my entire shift because its a tradition that you get cakes in when you're signed off. The challenge will be making sure my eating is better after this so that I'm back on track by next week.

Congrats on getting signed off probation! (Is that something like getting tenure?) It definitely deserves a Krispy Kreme (and a glass of good wine, if you drink).

It's more a quirk of my job (I'm not an employee, I'm a servant of the crown) than something like tenure.  And there was Sancerre (our wine of choice) this evening ;-)

2013-04-19 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4707514

User image

enders_shadow - 2013-04-19 10:46 AM OK...heading out for OWS practice swim in a bit. Freaking out major. Also going to OWS clinic tomorrow morning. Have the opportunity to OWS nearly every other week if not more often before my HIM in September. I can conquer this. I can. But right now I'm panicking.

It may sound obvious, but the key is to just relax.  Step in the water and just do a back float or a dead mans float for a little while to prove to your brain that you won't simply sink to the bottom.  Your brain is trained to react in a certain way to ensure survival at all costs.  Once you can convince your brain that there are no survival issues in the OW, then it can focus on actual swimming rather than a frantic splashing motion.

2013-04-19 3:54 PM

User image

152 this morning.

2013-04-19 3:56 PM

User image

Expert

enders_shadow - 2013-04-19 4:46 PM OK...heading out for OWS practice swim in a bit. Freaking out major. Also going to OWS clinic tomorrow morning. Have the opportunity to OWS nearly every other week if not more often before my HIM in September. I can conquer this. I can. But right now I'm panicking.

Good luck and have fun with it! I don't really have the opportunity to do any OWS training and I really like OWS. Try to just enjoy being out in nature, and being smooth. Don't try to go too fast. Remember: Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. I like to focus on having a real good reach and glide. And don't forget to breathe enough! Have fun!

Edited by amschrod 2013-04-19 3:56 PM
2013-04-19 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

enders_shadow - 2013-04-19 9:46 PM OK...heading out for OWS practice swim in a bit. Freaking out major. Also going to OWS clinic tomorrow morning. Have the opportunity to OWS nearly every other week if not more often before my HIM in September. I can conquer this. I can. But right now I'm panicking.

You'll be fine.  I had a little freak in open water early in the season last year.  I got in open water as often as possible (mostly twice a week) and got over it really fast.  Just keep working at it.  It'll come.

2013-04-19 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4707534

User image

Expert

Man Jason, not only are you wicked fast at S/B/R, but you're a fast poster as well

Sorry I've been a little out of the loop this week, but I have spent all my free time the last few days with my new bike. She's a Kestrel 4000, and I got her via mail order so I had to do a little assembly and tweaking the fit. Rode her a little this morning, and was very pleased, especially on a fast descent where I felt both faster and more stable which was the most important thing I was looking for. No picture of mine yet, but here's one from Kestrel's website:

Rachel, congrats on your your good job news!

Kristen, you've gotten good advice on shifting and getting your neck comfortable. After my first ride outdoors this year my neck was sore but now is much better. Riding lots is always good advice. Lots of riding now will help not only your ride at your HIM, it will make the run much better as well.

Have a great weekend everybody! Fun weekend for me, my 25 yo son will be visiting, plus we'll be meeting his girlfriend for the first time.

2013-04-19 4:38 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sweet ride, Anthony!

Wanted to go ride after work but we have tornado warnings.  Not riding in that kind of wind.

2013-04-19 7:52 PM

User image

Champion
OWS. Disaster.

We got there - it was thundering. We waited it out - got a few minutes of clear, struggled into wet suits, storm blowing in...let's see if we can get in 15 minutes up stream and then buzz back before the next storm blows in.

Um. No.

I was swimming backwards. Coach stopped me because I was well below the dock - I had to get dragged back to the boat ramp start - the current was so strong I could not make forward progress.

Then 4 minutes in, stopped again due to lightning. We left and went to dinner instead - on the way, pieces of tree were blowing down on our car.

Even the good swimmers said they got about 200 yards in 4 minutes - like swimming in quicksand - unfortunately, I wasn't even swimming in quicksand - I was swimming backwards.

OWS clinic tomorrow in lake (not river) due to potential current issues. Maybe that won't suck so much.

2013-04-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4707573

User image

Champion
amschrod - 2013-04-19 5:35 PM

Sorry I've been a little out of the loop this week, but I have spent all my free time the last few days with my new bike. She's a Kestrel 4000, and I got her via mail order so I had to do a little assembly and tweaking the fit. Rode her a little this morning, and was very pleased, especially on a fast descent where I felt both faster and more stable which was the most important thing I was looking for.

Have a great weekend everybody! Fun weekend for me, my 25 yo son will be visiting, plus we'll be meeting his girlfriend for the first time.

Pretty bike! Mine was mail-order too, but the assembly (thankfully) was minimal and I let someone else fit.

Good luck meeting the girlfriend!
2013-04-19 8:37 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kristen,

I give you a lot of credit for getting in the river in those conditions.  I recall one time when we raced "Tavern" that the river current was that bad and you opted not to swim since they allowed people to do a brick for the day.  (Geez, I swam and it took me close to 45 minutes to go 750 meters with that crazy current)

So, while it wasn't the OWS practice you had in mind--it was a great practice for you to get in and not freak out in hard conditions. Definitely some good to tae from the session.

2013-04-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4707832

User image

Expert
Hey Kristen, I have to agree with Judi. Very good experience swimming in difficult conditions. Now your next OWS will be much easier. Also, even though you weren't making forward progress in relation to the dock, you were moving forward in relation to the current, and probably at a faster pace than usual. Congratulations on getting in that water with those conditions. Well done!!
2013-04-20 11:13 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I had a nice technique focused swim today. After some chores I plan on riding my bike. Hit a sale at a run store and got a pair of Pure Drifts. So lightweight, all of 5 ounces!
2013-04-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4706862

User image

Elite
washington state

chapfallen - 2013-04-19 6:55 AM

Back to down to 139.  Maybe I will be able to end this month where I started! Undecided

2013-04-20 8:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-21 12:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
England
Took advantage of an unexpectedly beautiful day yesterday and got out on the tri bike for a proper ride. It was even warm enough to have both arms and legs exposed for the first time this year. Bring on the training tan!I did a fairly hilly route and had planned to be out for about 4 hours. Turned for home a little earlier than intended, so expected (based on outbound time) to be up to about 3.5hours total. Then absolutely flew home and was back at just over the 3hr mark!It was great getting to try the bike out on a really good range of terrain, and it climbs better than I expected. I manage to stay aero for the vast majority of the ride, with the exception of 3 short steep climbs and some steep descents. Had a close call on one of the descents when an idiot in a pickup decided to pull out in front of me (if I'd been a car doing the same speed he'd have waited) and then immediately stopped because there were two horses going in the opposite direction. I genuinely thought I was going to hit him and was preparing to swerve into (slow moving) oncoming traffic, but my brakes came through for me. Stopped about 6 inches behind him. Good to know my brakes are better than I thought!I felt pretty comfortable through the ride, which was great, but I woke up this morning with tight shoulders and an incredibly stiff neck. So I guess there's still some work to do there...Yesterday's positive news is that Kevin's Physio suggested he try out a short ride on the mtb (less aggressive position) so we did just under 40min. Today he's a little sore still, so taking it easy, but hopefully he's on the road to recovery. With 10 weeks to the big race he's getting a bit twitchy but hopefully he'll get back to it in time to be ready.
2013-04-21 2:12 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Disaster of a brick.

Flat tire about 8 miles in.  Both CO2 cartridges blew before inflating my tire.  Had the connector on the tire stem before putting the cartridge in because I have had issues with it before....Wound up waiting about 30 minutes for a man to bring me a pump.  Got maybe a mile in on the run and the ankle wanted no parts of it. 

Not happy.  I may wind up having to aqua bike the mini sprint and just walk the run course .....but I'm really wondering if the whole thing is going to cooperate for marathon training at this point.

2013-04-21 8:43 PM

Champion
Good training weekend for me - well, productive if not good. OWS clinic & long bike yesterday, long run today. Everything felt as good as it was going to feel.
2013-04-22 6:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-04-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4709510

Elite
washington state

Fred D - 2013-04-22 4:45 AM Good riding this weekend for me, but my run and swim are falling off a bit. Really too busy to keep it altogether anyway, so I just try my best. New mentor groups will be starting in May. As mentioned this group will carry on, but I believe we should 'archive' it to allow new groups a chance to get members. I encourage folks here to consider joining (or starting!) another group along with this one. I'm going to start one focused on HIM training and racing but there will likely be lots of good ones out there. Have a great day!

How do we archive it?

2013-04-22 1:02 PM

Champion
Planning a swim this afternoon on the way home from work - it's ballet parent observation day, so no Masters - and then a trainer ride on the tri bike later this evening. I'm hoping I can work out some of the neck/shoulder things on the trainer and then take her out for a good ride on Wednesday.
2013-04-22 3:22 PM

Got in a solid training weekend.  69 mile ride Sat and a 13.5 mile run Sunday.  Legs are a bit fatigued today, but not so much where I need additional rest...yet.  Seems like the normal feeling during the last build when you just sort of have to grind it out.  I did manage to get a couple of good nights of sleep over the weekend.
2013-04-22 4:26 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Excellent training to all!

I ran today, despite my ankle being difficult (bad mentor)  but the more I ran the better it felt and it was fast again without trying.  I can never figure out these legs.  I was prepared to run walk if needed but just went with it. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64