BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-05-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1391633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!
dirtsailor - 2008-05-09 12:42 AM

Have any of you strained a calf before. I have been off for about a week right now. I saw the Doc yesterday and she wants to see me again in a week. I told her about how I am planning on running a tri in September and was basically told " we will see " . Depending on how things go next week she is talking about physical therapy. She also said it would be 4 to 6 weeks to heal. What are your experiences and what can I do, if anything , to speed up the process. I was told not to bike or run but nothing was said about swimming. I don't want to miss out this year but really don't want chronic problems down the road. Any suggestions?

Definitely listen to your doc...I know it sucks but you don't want to be hobbling around for the rest of your life either. And I know being out of training sucks...I've had a nasty GI virus for the last couple of days so I've been off of training, eating very little, sleeping a lot less than normal and am likely a bit dehydrated...hopefully I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Good luck and talk to your doctor about what else you can be doing. Sounds like a good time to get some extra swimming in, work on your core muscles and do some upper body training....

--Chris

2008-05-09 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1392307

User image

Champion
yeah anything pulled in the leg is soemthing you should get checked out, even normal day to day stuff will make it worse if you are not carefull.

its better to lose a few days now than miss a few weeks later because you didnt take care of it.

that being said, muscles that are jjust strained will heal quickly if you dont overdue it.

good luck!
2008-05-11 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1354430

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Thanks all for the encouragement. As you can see, I haven't been on the forum since my first post and if you look at my log, the news is even worse. The back improved considerably but then yesterday, with the @#$% $%^& dog, I wrenched my back and I'm set back 2 weeks! I think my season is totally shot -- I probably have several weeks just to get to no symptoms and then gradually ease back (no pun intended) into training. Chalk this season up to learning to be more respectful of that spine of mine . . . . . I'll check in every few days and offer suggestions. Anyone else see the personal health/fitness article in Thursday's NY Times on triathletes and whether it is possible to reach optimum performance in all 3 sports? The consensus of "experts" was that it is not possible -- that you can reach high levels in at most 2 of the 3 because of the different physical demands of the 3 sports. That's consistent with my personal experience -- at least until hitting the disabled list.
Here is a link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/health/nutrition/08BEST.html?ex=1...
enjoy your training however tough it seems -- it's better than the alternative -- appreciate and your body and what an incredible piece of engineering it is while at the same time respecting what you can and can't do.
2008-05-11 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Hand in there Elliot.

I did not see the article but presumed that one does a bit worse in three sports disciplines than concentrating on one.

2008-05-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1394903

User image

Fishers, IN
Sorry to hear about the injury. You might not be able to get the best season possible, but I bet you can get things together fairly well toward the end of summer. Just take care and make certain not to do the injury leading to injury sort of thing by rushing back too fast. Thanks, that was a good article.
2008-05-11 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1394903

User image

Champion
i would tend to agree with the article.
if you look at the top trialthetes, even the ITU ones, they are still nowwhere near the top single sport athletes. you have them running 30-32 min 10ks (for the guys), that is stunningly fast for triathlon, but there are guys running open 10ks in the 26-27 min range. same with the other sports/

on the injury, hang in there, take the time to heal, and slowly build up, a consistant slow build up will do wonders, even if its just physio and a little other stuff. being healthy does wonders!

2008-05-12 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hang in there, Elliot. I hate just being off for a few days so I imagine being off weeks at a time is terrible. But don't give up all hope...just take your time getting back and be very careful, maybe you can still squeeze in a pool sprint or small local race sometime in the Fall. Good luck and keep us all posted!

--Chris
2008-05-12 10:57 AM

User image

Expert

I can't believe all of our local folks missed a wonderful oppurtunity to race this Sunday at the rain soaked Olentangy Duathlon!  What a wonderful training opportunity missed.  Sure you practice riding hard and cornering, but do you practice it with 40mph wind gusts with horizontal rain and water flowing across the road?

I should consider it my first Triathlon because the water was so deep in many places.  I kid you not, you had to run through water as deep as 1 foot in the transition zone.  The run course include stretches dozens of yards long through giant mud puddles on dirt/gravel roads (small section of the run).

David, I screwed the bike mount up again.  Way worse this time too, but I was pretty sure the new bike and helmet and set-up was faster.  I definitely rode faster (still short of some of those other freaks, yes you are one of them) but faster nonetheless.

2008-05-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1396462

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-05-12 11:57 AM

I can't believe all of our local folks missed a wonderful oppurtunity to race this Sunday at the rain soaked Olentangy Duathlon!  What a wonderful training opportunity missed.  Sure you practice riding hard and cornering, but do you practice it with 40mph wind gusts with horizontal rain and water flowing across the road?

I should consider it my first Triathlon because the water was so deep in many places.  I kid you not, you had to run through water as deep as 1 foot in the transition zone.  The run course include stretches dozens of yards long through giant mud puddles on dirt/gravel roads (small section of the run).

David, I screwed the bike mount up again.  Way worse this time too, but I was pretty sure the new bike and helmet and set-up was faster.  I definitely rode faster (still short of some of those other freaks, yes you are one of them) but faster nonetheless.

x2 on David being a speed freak

If it is any consolation I started the morning running in it and then I was grilling in it later in the day.

So what is the problem with the mount? What clips are you using?? Look, SPD? I know my Look clips spin a little and can cause some problems but 2 or 3 attempts at most and I am on my way. Have you tried keeping your shoes clipped in on your bike and once you get rolling slipping them on?

Edited by JChristoff 2008-05-12 11:43 AM
2008-05-12 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1396462

User image

Champion
i have not read the race report yet, so ih ave to ask, did you run to the top of the little hill before you tried to mount? if not, you deff should have!

will go look at the results now, but nice job!
2008-05-12 10:01 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Advice please

This is for anyone that wants to answer. I have 4 more sessions with my personal trainer but she's never done a tri before so I'm unsure if she's got me doing what's really best for me.

She gave me a training grid that I could have found on the net myself and she also gave me a strength training routine that will work my muscles only once a week. I feel like my focus should be on running, swimming and weight loss, with a little time on the bike. I also think circuit weight training would be more beneficial to me as opposed to only working my muscles once a week. 

Should I stop splitting hairs and just do what she says or should I push her for a more finely tuned training regimen?  

I'm not training to win after all but I'd like to lose as much weight as I can by race day.

Thanks everyone.

2008-05-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1395490

User image

Fishers, IN
I use a heart rate monitor a lot for running and quite a bit with cycling. Do many use one for swimming and how do you do it? I have a Polar and also a Garmin 305. Do you need to protect the Polar if you use it?
2008-05-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1398274

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: RE: Advice please

Would it be possible to meet with her prior to your next session to make sure she clearly understands your goals?  Make sure you are both prioritizing them the same.  If she can explain to you how her workouts will help you achieve your goals then all is well.

2008-05-13 7:30 AM
in reply to: #1398506

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

rc63413 - 2008-05-13 7:56 AM I use a heart rate monitor a lot for running and quite a bit with cycling. Do many use one for swimming and how do you do it? I have a Polar and also a Garmin 305. Do you need to protect the Polar if you use it?

I use my HR monitor about once a week in the pool and lake (if it ever warms up). I have a Polar. The only think I make sure to do...or actually not to do is push buttons under water. I have not had any prob. with it but have heard from other on BT that theirs stopped workoing after they pushed stuff under water. I don't know about the Garmin.

Chris

2008-05-13 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1398139

User image

Expert

newbz - 2008-05-12 10:08 PM i have not read the race report yet, so ih ave to ask, did you run to the top of the little hill before you tried to mount? if not, you deff should have! will go look at the results now, but nice job!

I did both.  I screwed up at the bottom of the hill the most.  I had numerous competitor yell at me because I was getting in their way, then abandoned the idea and ran to the top of the hill and screwed up some more.  The bottom of the hill I partially blame on: 1) I should not have tried, and 2) My bike was in a big gear.  The top of the hill was partially lack of familiarity with the new pedals but mostly just one of those things.  Like playing football and dropping a pass, or bowling and throwing a ball in the gutter.

2008-05-13 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Any Columbus area local people have 6/22/2008 open?  The Ohio Bicycle TT Championships are on that day.  I think I will enter.

2008-05-13 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1398565

User image

Fishers, IN
Gearing on hills takes practice. At least you didn't drop a chain. Good job with the wet-dualthon.
2008-05-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1395490

User image

Fishers, IN
Yeah, I think they pretty much state the obvious in that report. Specificity in training is important if you are a single sport elite. It's really hard to balance three sports at once. Logging the standard 100 plus mile weeks for optimal 5K - marathon distances just doesn't fit in very well with the other two sports on a training and recovery cycle. For us mere mortals, I think you can get reasonably close to optimal shape for the single sport. I was injured once and did not hardly run for three months, just swam and cycled. I tried to quickly get back into shape in four weeks and then hit Chicago with a friend (I had signed up before injury). I did three runs in the 15-18 mile range and three 50-60 mile weeks. When I hit Chicago, I thought that I would hopefully manage a 3:20, but I started with that pace group and just kept moving up. I was in way better shape than I thought I was in primarily as the result of the cross training. By the end I finished in 3:09 in bad weather (wind), just 7 minutes slower than my PR at that time. There is a lot of carry over from one sport to the other at least for us mortals.

As for the 10Ks, you will not find a guy in the US running in the 26-27 range. I think Abdi did 28:30ish and won nationals last year (I was fortunate enough to work that meet). There were quite a few guys in that group who were even over 30 minutes. The elite tri guys are pretty darn fast, considering all they (you) have to do to get to that level. Wish I had that kind of speed/talent.
2008-05-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1398556

User image

Fishers, IN
I really have no reason to use the Garmin in the pool, but was wondering about the polar. Thanks for the tip on not pushing the buttons. When you use it in the pool once a week, what is the purpose? How do you use it? Does the Heart rate max equate to the same as when you run or ride? With the bike and running they do correspond reasonably well and I use basically my running HRmax (since it is the highest I've actually measured) to calculate my %HRmax. Is swimming similar?
2008-05-14 7:21 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I have a Polar s210 and use it regularly in the pool as a stop watch. I have used the heart rate strap a couple of times while swimming but normally don't. In order for me to get a good reading or to even really keep it on, due to the increased drag in the water, it has to be really tight and I find it uncomfortable. I have worn it under my tri-suit for the last couple of tris and it does shift during the swim so I don't get the most accurate readings due to that shifting... but overall I have really enjoyed it.

I am sure you could use the HRM the same way you do for doing LT testing for running or biking but I don't really see much of a benefit because you can't really just look down to see you HR and make a judgement if you should slow down or speed up... The logistics of swimming kinda get in the way

I have not had any problems pushing the buttons underwater and I have been using it for about 3 years now the same way, but some of the time I am pushing the buttons out of the water to check my time on a certain swim set.

The Garmin I believe is water resistant but not water proof. You dunk it during a swim be ready to buy a new one. A lot of people from reading on the forums put their 305 in their swim caps during the swim portion any OWS race because they want to know the exact distance of the swim... Seems like a too big of risk for a $2-300 piece of equipment.
2008-05-14 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1401322

User image

Fishers, IN
I was just wondering about the heart rate aspect. I think I may be making a rookie mistake. I know a lot of people running and building mileage have a problem with running too fast when their emphasis should be gaining endurance. I thought that perhaps the HRM might be a way of determining that with swimming as well by measuring heart rate at the end of their laps or alternatively to determine when to start the next repetition. Probably thinking about it too much. I can see where it might be a bit bothersome when you swim.

2008-05-15 5:44 AM

I'm a total beginner here, just got my first road this week (switched from a mountain bike).  Would you recommend clipless pedals for a total beginner, my bike currently has toe cages which I don't like at all.  I was looking at the pedals that are clipless on one side and regular pedal on the other from Nashbar.  Has anyone used these before?  Also, should I invest in a pair of aerobars?  Thanks.

Edited by tmporter 2008-05-15 5:46 AM
2008-05-15 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1403678

User image

Expert

tmporter - 2008-05-15 6:44 AM I'm a total beginner here, just got my first road this week (switched from a mountain bike).  Would you recommend clipless pedals for a total beginner, my bike currently has toe cages which I don't like at all.  I was looking at the pedals that are clipless on one side and regular pedal on the other from Nashbar.  Has anyone used these before?  Also, should I invest in a pair of aerobars?  Thanks.

I have never heard about the pedals that are reversable.  I think you should absolutely get a pair of clipless pedals (reversable or not).  However, there is very very little downside to clipless.  Downsides are only: 1) Expense (more expensive pedals plus shoes), and 2) getting used to them.  #1 could run you $150-$600.  #2 should only take a few rides.  One should practice getting in an out and most people, me included, panic a their first few red lights, slow too much before putting a foot down, then try to yank up on the foot in a panic and fall over still clipped into the pedals.  Others practice, keep their heads straight and avoid this.

Advantage of the clipless is that allow you to apply power at all tangents to the circle your feet make when pedaling.  The closer one learns to continuously apply power at these tangets the close one comes to something called "spinning" which is an efficient an powerful way to pedal.

Once you are fimiliar with clipless pedals you have no need or desire to race or train in anything else (on the road).

Good luck.

2008-05-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1403678

User image

Champion
i know the pedal type you are talking about, they are flat on one side and have the SPD style cleats on the other, so you can wear shoes that you can also walk in (mntb shoes maybe?).

either way, clipless are very easy to get used too and iw ould def recomend them.

i would wait on the bars till you are comfortable riding with the pedals though.
2008-05-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1403893

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-05-15 9:16 AM

tmporter - 2008-05-15 6:44 AM I'm a total beginner here, just got my first road this week (switched from a mountain bike). Would you recommend clipless pedals for a total beginner, my bike currently has toe cages which I don't like at all. I was looking at the pedals that are clipless on one side and regular pedal on the other from Nashbar. Has anyone used these before? Also, should I invest in a pair of aerobars? Thanks.

I have never heard about the pedals that are reversable. I think you should absolutely get a pair of clipless pedals (reversable or not). However, there is very very little downside to clipless. Downsides are only: 1) Expense (more expensive pedals plus shoes), and 2) getting used to them. #1 could run you $150-$600. #2 should only take a few rides. One should practice getting in an out and most people, me included, panic a their first few red lights, slow too much before putting a foot down, then try to yank up on the foot in a panic and fall over still clipped into the pedals. Others practice, keep their heads straight and avoid this.

Advantage of the clipless is that allow you to apply power at all tangents to the circle your feet make when pedaling. The closer one learns to continuously apply power at these tangets the close one comes to something called "spinning" which is an efficient an powerful way to pedal.

Once you are fimiliar with clipless pedals you have no need or desire to race or train in anything else (on the road).

Good luck.

Biased opinion because these are the only two I've used but had NO problems:

Great clipless pedals to start with are either 1) the low end pedal by "Speed-Play."  they are little more costly but they are my personal favorite and extremely easy for a beginner to get used to... they always right themselves so getting in is not a problem (no looking down necessary) and they also release relativly easy OR 2) two-sided SPD pedals intended primarily for MTB use but easily ridden on a road bike as well.  Can get them fairly cheap from Nashbar or Performance but they can't be mounted on many road shoes because they are 2-hole not 3-hole.

Stay away from those "campus" pedals.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25