of 73

2008-12-21 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
Thanks lil and plain..

This is the first masters group in the area. Up until now the closest one is at the university 30 miles away. There flyer said all levels welcome so I think I will give it a try

2008-12-21 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1865903

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

You have to hit the quote button in the upper right hand corner and then erase the part of the message you don't want to keep.

Thanks and I was able to pull a 6.3 mile run off today with only about 100 yds walking.  Are legs supposed to be as sore as mine after pushing a long run...lol

2008-12-21 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

OK, swimming question here.  We were at the store gettng Christmas presents yesterday and I decided to pick up a pair of goggles while we were there (I've been swimming without).  I tried a couple of them on to see how they fit and I think I found a pair that will work - we'll see when I try them out for the first time.  My question is about the lens color.  I saw ones that were clear, some that were smoke colored, blue tinted, etc.  What's the difference and is one better than another or is it more personal preference?  I got a clear pair since I wasn't sure about the other colors.  All of my swimming will be done in a pool for now, mostly indoors although some may be outside this summer. 

Thanks

Janet 

2008-12-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1865925

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2008-12-21 2:08 PM

You have to hit the quote button in the upper right hand corner and then erase the part of the message you don't want to keep.

Thanks and I was able to pull a 6.3 mile run off today with only about 100 yds walking.  Are legs supposed to be as sore as mine after pushing a long run...lol

AWESOME!  Nice job.

I remember the first time I ran 10m, I sat on the couch all day.  I was tired and my legs were cashed.  That will get better, but as you add distance you could consider 1) more stretching, using a foam roller or PT massage equipment to keep your muscles supple , 2) the dreaded ice bath or contrast shower if you are not up for the bath quite yet.  In either case what you are trying to do is decrease inflammation and speed healing and 3) not do something crazy the following day like a bike interval session.

Be proud!

2008-12-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1865960

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2008-12-21 2:35 PM

OK, swimming question here.  We were at the store gettng Christmas presents yesterday and I decided to pick up a pair of goggles while we were there (I've been swimming without).  I tried a couple of them on to see how they fit and I think I found a pair that will work - we'll see when I try them out for the first time.  My question is about the lens color.  I saw ones that were clear, some that were smoke colored, blue tinted, etc.  What's the difference and is one better than another or is it more personal preference?  I got a clear pair since I wasn't sure about the other colors.  All of my swimming will be done in a pool for now, mostly indoors although some may be outside this summer. 

Thanks

Janet 

Janet

I am definitely not the expert, but I found that either clear or blue lenses work well indoors, but the smoke colored ones work best outdoors.  I found that out the hard way.  Went to swim in our lake with the clear lenses and couldn't see a thing because of the sun.

What brand did you buy?  The ones I am in love with at the moment are Blue Seventies Vision.

2008-12-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1865966

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2008-12-21 3:43 PM
soccermom15 - 2008-12-21 2:35 PM

Thanks

Janet 

Janet

I am definitely not the expert, but I found that either clear or blue lenses work well indoors, but the smoke colored ones work best outdoors.  I found that out the hard way.  Went to swim in our lake with the clear lenses and couldn't see a thing because of the sun.

What brand did you buy?  The ones I am in love with at the moment are Blue Seventies Vision.

Yeah, clear are best for indoors, blue I believe is a happy medium and dark are for outside.  It really stinks trying to see outside with clear goggles on the water and sun will blind you.

I like blue they work for both.  Goggles are definitely a personal preference, I tried the aquasphere kaimans that everyone seems to like and they just didn't fit my face and always let water in.  Wearing a cheap pair of speedo goggles and they work great.

2008-12-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1865606

User image

Champion

I think you marathon training has given you the self discipline and fitness level, but if the swimming still makes you un-nerved, then I would focus on getting that under control first.  Steve is totally right that it is a mental commitment, but race day is not the time to freak out in the open water.  Were your sprints in the pool?  Have you ever swam open water before?  I think you need to be able to swim for an hour comfortably and be comfortable in the open water.   Secondly, do you like riding?  You will be on the bike for about 3 hours and if that is after a difficult swim, you will be TIRED!   

Thanks to all who provided advice. Definitely gives me more to chew on in the next few weeks. Registration for the 1/2IM opens January 1st.

My three sprints were all in OW and while I did not have a panic attack or reach for a kayak, there were several points where I flipped on my back to breathe.  Having  the next wave swim up my backside did unnerve me, but I made it.  To the point above, my HR was in the upper 160s which could mean I would blow through a fair amount of glycogen before getting on the bike .

On the positive side, I am a better swimmer than I was then and we live on a lake most of the summer so I have a very clean/clear Northern WI lake to practice in, but not until mid June when it is actually gets warm enough to venture in.  I am also planning to take a few OWS classes starting mid-May in Madison.

Given the advice above, it sounds like I should be building towards swimmng an hour straight. Is that the idea?  I am nowhere near that now. Of course, I don't really know how long I can go all at once.  While I can complete 2200+ yards in a session it is split into different things based on what my swim instructor gives me. 

How important is speed? My 100 is 2:20ish now.  My running head says get the distance down and speed will follow. Is it the same?

Thanks again everybody.

2008-12-21 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

I am actually starting to enjoy my Master's swim group more in the past 2-3 weeks.  When I first started, there wasn't much personal attention and I felt like I went to the pool did the work-outs and left, no social conversation or advice on technique.  I finally took the initiative and started socializing and asking the coach about my technique.  From there, my freestyle has improved a lot and I am more enthiused about making the practices. 

Today, I was told to do some non-freestyle drills.  I tried to swim breast-stroke and was told that my technique was all wrong.  After a couple of minutes of simple instruction, I feel that my breast-stroke is 100% better.  Can't wait for the next practice.

-Nick

2008-12-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1865995

User image

Elite
san francisco
color="#660099">Thanks to all who provided advice. Definitely gives me more to chew on in the next few weeks. Registration for the 1/2IM opens January 1st.

My three sprints were all in OW and while I did not have a panic attack or reach for a kayak, there were several points where I flipped on my back to breathe.  Having  the next wave swim up my backside did unnerve me, but I made it.  To the point above, my HR was in the upper 160s which could mean I would blow through a fair amount of glycogen before getting on the bike .

On the positive side, I am a better swimmer than I was then and we live on a lake most of the summer so I have a very clean/clear Northern WI lake to practice in, but not until mid June when it is actually gets warm enough to venture in.  I am also planning to take a few OWS classes starting mid-May in Madison.

Given the advice above, it sounds like I should be building towards swimmng an hour straight. Is that the idea?  I am nowhere near that now. Of course, I don't really know how long I can go all at once.  While I can complete 2200+ yards in a session it is split into different things based on what my swim instructor gives me. 

How important is speed? My 100 is 2:20ish now.  My running head says get the distance down and speed will follow. Is it the same?

Thanks again everybody.

Suzy-looking at your race reports your swimming really improved on each successive tri! your speed is kind of similar to mine, i'm working on it, too, but just as a comparison, last year at this time, i could not even swim 500 straight and you've already done that! One of the things I did to get to 2000 yds straight in the pool, was to break it down into smaller intervals. So, once I got to 500 straight which was sometime in March of last year, and I knew I could do that, I did my regular workouts the rest of the week, the following week, I did 2 x 500 w/30 sec rest...then the following week, 5 x 300 @30 sec rest, etc eventually 3 x 500 @ 30sec, and then the distance seemed manageable. Within 6 weeks, I was able to do 2000 straight. Thank god because my Oly was in the middle of May, so it was a good confidence builder. You have the advantage of not freaking out in OWS like me! I have signed up for an HIM in July and know I can do the distance, but am really going to commit to Ows this spring/summer. I love swimming but need to get more comfy in the ows. I think you can definitely do it with your commitment. I need someone to kickstart me w/ the bike...I'd much rather run and swim. Maybe if I post a pic of it, it will inspire me...

(myorbea.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
myorbea.jpg (15KB - 10 downloads)
2008-12-21 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1865925

User image

Expert
B'ham
Plainsman AU - 2008-12-21 12:08 PM

I was able to pull a 6.3 mile run off today with only about 100 yds walking.  Are legs supposed to be as sore as mine after pushing a long run...lol

I've found that I'm less sore (if at all) and recover more quickly if I have a protien shake following a long run.

2008-12-21 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Ok all, here is my new toy.  I have taken a couple of pictures and figured out how to post one.  It is a 2006 Felt F1 frameset that was built in 2007.  I have an appointment with my local bike shop to get a fitting and tune up next weekend.  The frame is very clean with only a couple of scratches on the crank.  The seller indicated he has put about 1,400 miles on it and that it was in great condition.  I am extremely excited as I didn't think I would ever own a bike this light.  I will look for some aero bars in the spring.

2008-12-21 10:51 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I am digging the bike, and the Zipp 303's are sweet as well!!!!  Well done!
2008-12-22 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1866691

User image

Champion

swbkrun - 2008-12-21 11:51 PM I am digging the bike, and the Zipp 303's are sweet as well!!!!  Well done!

x2

2008-12-22 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1866861

User image

Champion

Good thing I am swimming today, 19 degrees right now according to weather.com feels like 3...

So Steve what do you think about tri coaches?

On my 2nd year of using BT plans + Runnersworld plans.  Taking swim lessons, trying to do those at least once a month.  Other than the swimming doing it all by online plans.

Do you think getting a real life (not over the internet) coach would be worth the money?  I think I would want someone I can meet with talk to and have watch me ride/run/swim and offer pointers.  Then from watching me work out develop a plan.

2008-12-22 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Good morning all. hope eveyone had a great weekend. WOW with this new group I think I willl have to try and get on here a couple of times a day. It's hard to keep up with all the news.
Suzie. don't 2worry about your speed. When I started swimming again this past spring (March) I had a hard time doing 100m. Now no problem doing 2500+ straight.
For swimming I find that it is actually one my favorite parts of the tri's. It is my time and I just relax and enjoy the swim. My best time was during one race whne I thought I was about the slowest swimmer in the lake. I t is very difficult to judge your pace when in OW. My trainng is all in the pool but my races have all been OW. I wore a wet suit for all but one of the races and the added boouancy is fantastic.
Winter training is difficult for some people. If is gets really cold and the roads are snow covered it is hard to push yourself out the door. I would say that you should get out and run as much as you can outside if you don't have access to a treadmill of indoor facility. I say that as I have access and stopped running outside as soon as the temp dips
Now for my boner on the weekend. This is my second year on BT and in a mentor group. We have talked about increasing distance and how this should be done gradually. I got some very good advice from a fellow BT'r telling me to slow my pace when reaching for longer distances. So yesterday for my long run I started slow and when I reached 10K I felt great, at 15K my longest run to date I still felt good. I decided to keep going for a little bit by the time I was at 18K my body was feeling tired but I still pressed on. I reach 20K and was very tired but refused to stop then. I complete the half marathon but was walking and runnning at the end. My poor legs were so tired I could hardly walked when I finished. I couldn't believe how quickly my body broke down after the 18K mark. For the last 2 K I would walk for a little then try to run. It was actually painful to try and start running again. I did however finish the 22 K running and not walking. I had to sit down for a while before I could even go shower. What a stupid rookie mistake to jump my distance from 15 to 22K in one huge leap. The good thing is that I don't have any pain today or yesterday. I was just extremely tired. Time 2:12:34
2008-12-22 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

okay, there is way too much tri talk going on here!   Change of subject.  I hurt my hip about a week ago that resulted in a few days of limping. At my chiropractor apt this morning I mentioned this to him and he spent some time using his hand held massager and rubbed on my hip and glutes.  THAT WAS AWESOME!  Anyone ever had a butt massage (I'm not being dirty here Rob Money mouth)?  It tickled but felt SO GOOD!!!! 

AND HOW COME EVERYONE ELSE IS GETTING SNOW BUT ME????  NOT FAIR!!!!!

(TRI SANTA OWS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TRI SANTA OWS.jpg (39KB - 6 downloads)

2008-12-22 9:07 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hope the hip feels better Tracy...I've never had a butt massage but I LOVE when my chiro does the electrostim to my ailing body parts. It hurts so good. Luckily, nothing is ailing right now, except I woke up with a bit of a cold...no swimming for me today.

I do have to drag myself to Costco, we have to bring salad to two dinners this week. 60 people at one and 25 at the other. Yikes!

Have a great day everyone!
2008-12-22 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Twas the night before a tri Christmas....

Twas the night before a tri Christmas, when all through the house,
Not a triathlete was stirring, not even their spouse;

The wet suits were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that TriSanta soon would be there;

The running shoes were nestled all snug in their boxes by the beds,
While visions of personal best danced in the triathletes heads;

And the carbon tribike in the garage, and I in my swim cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,

When out of transition there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the pool to see what was the matter.

Away to the run I flew like a flash,
Tore off my clothes and threw on my lucky cycling sash.

The sun sparkled clear and bright and I was ready to go,
All I had to do was clip in down below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a super fast man in red with the speed of eight reindeer,

With an all carbon bike, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be TriSanta; the race favorite pick.

More rapid than eagles on this coursers he came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called all of us by name;

"Now, Steve! now, Janet! now, Matt and Suzy!
On, Holly! on Benton! on, Tony and Jeremy!

Through the second transition now! And right through them all!
Now away! run away! run for the finish all!"

As empty gels that before the wild hurricane fly,
We will meet at the finish, of this Holiday Tri,

He crossed the finish line first, and went straight to his work,
And filled all of the transition bags with presents; then turned with a jerk,

And laying his finger on the side of his gear shift,
And giving a nod, with a mighty big push his tribike did lift;

He stood up on his bike, to his team DLR Tri gave a whistle,
And away he flew like a red triathlete missile.

But I heard him exclaim, here he rode out of sight,

"Happy Christmas to all triathletes. And to all a good night."

(santa4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
santa4.jpg (43KB - 8 downloads)
2008-12-22 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
That poem was great Tracy.
For the snow.... I guess we are just lucky up here. I saw on the weather station that Steve still had snow in Seattle. I'll bet no one has worked out there for days now It must be almost as bad as having a nose zit. Maybe not as painful.
Never had a butt massage but it sounds like you enjoyed it little TOO much Tracy.
Have a great day all.
2008-12-22 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Tracy, I have never had a butt massage, but it is now on my list of things to get.  It sounds fantastic.

Edited by Buckshot 2008-12-22 9:59 AM
2008-12-22 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
What a great Christmas story Tracey!!  Well I finally broke down yesterday and did my first treadmill run of the season.  It was just to darn cold & windy to run outside!  I had forgotten how much a dislike running on a treadmill.  Oh well, I had a great swim afterward!  My endurance is slowly but surely improving. 

2008-12-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1866915

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2008-12-22 5:37 AM

Good thing I am swimming today, 19 degrees right now according to weather.com feels like 3...

So Steve what do you think about tri coaches?

On my 2nd year of using BT plans + Runnersworld plans.  Taking swim lessons, trying to do those at least once a month.  Other than the swimming doing it all by online plans.

Do you think getting a real life (not over the internet) coach would be worth the money?  I think I would want someone I can meet with talk to and have watch me ride/run/swim and offer pointers.  Then from watching me work out develop a plan.

That is a tough one.... I think a coach CAN BE beneficial if you are lacking the ability to be consistent, or don't know how to swim, or are trying to win the race, etc.... I feel like there are enough resources out there to do it on your own, or with a "tri group."   Groups will push the pace, push you physically, etc.... Tough call.  I had an on-line coach one year.... Over priced!!!!!

2008-12-22 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Tracy, the butt massage.... I actually have had a butt massage before, and done right it can really hurt!  The lady I have been going to for 10 years (she only charges $45 for an hour!!) does this everytime, and it seems like she always gets between the muscles!  However, that being said I love pain when I am getting a massage!  Deep tissue for me please! EVERYTIME!
2008-12-22 12:43 PM

User image

Pro

I am sad..... I just found out that my parents cancelled their flight to Seattle for Xmas.  After rescheduling 3 times due to weather they had to BAG IT!!! This is the 1st time in 32 years that I haven't been with my parents on XMAS day!!!

BUMMER!

2008-12-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1867445

User image

Champion

Well darn it my pool is closed until Jan 5th because of that filter hazard thing I read about last month. 

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2134637;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Now how am I going to get that last 4500M to get to 100k for the year.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73