BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-14 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2084000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Plainsman AU - 2009-04-14 3:28 PM

I am having issues with a big change of plans for the weekend.  I was supposed to do my first tri this weekend and I guess I am going to table it due to the uncertainty of this frigging economy.  I am self employed in the building industry and the last 3 months have sucked, and I don't see it getting that much better in the near future.  I guess I am feeling selfish taking a weekend trip to race not knowing what is coming the next few months. 

I have always said that when your OUTFLOW is more than your INFLOW, then you have problems with your CASH FLOW! It seems like a small thing, in that the race is paid for and I would be able to stay with one of my friends near the event, but I guess everything counts until the cashflow gets going the correct way again.  It is a hard thing to do, but I have been preaching about battening down the hatches to my wife, and I guess I must lead the way.  Anyway it is disappointing after looking forward to this for several months and working hard toward it, but the uncertainty ahead has me guarded.

On the brighter side of things...I will replace this one with another local race or two.  I was really enjoying this taper week, but what the hell...TRAINING ON!

Sorry to hear that!  I can totally relate, I'm in the real estate business myself..  I worked for a hedge fund/private equity fund investing in real estate and got laid-off last Sept when my company restructured and said no more new deals.  Unfortunately no one is really hiring.  I'm in the process of starting a new fund with 2 other partners and will most likely require a big chunk of my own $$..  so now our family is living off my wife's salary that we don't know how much longer she will be employed as she's in the hedge fund industry as well.  So now we have large non-discresionary out flows of cash that doesn't match our inflow...  This economy is scary..  We originally were going to do a destination tri and have a vacation out of it, now i'm only doing tri's locally...  on the bright side, I get to spend time with my son and I got into tri's!

2009-04-14 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've uploaded my before and after video from my bike fitting (for those interesed in looking)..  The fitting made a huge difference, I feel more relaxed and comfortable on the bike.  It's amazing how a little adjustment throughout a bike can make such a huge difference.  Since the bike fitting I've already improved my avg mph around Central Park by 1.5mph, no more knee and back aches too!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=11855&photoid=98916

2009-04-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2084371

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 2:14 PM Hey gang,
I'm new to the group and excited as it sounds this is a great group of poeple.

I am starting my 2nd year at triathlons.  And, I'm having a little trouble.
OK, I'm not ususlly a whiner, but here goes.  I have a 1/2 in 3 1/2 weeks and I am slow on the training.
I'm just not getting the workouts in for various reasons.  I signed up for this race since it is basically the same course as my "A" race in November.  And I can't seem to get motivated.  However, I know if I don't hunker down I'm going to be disappointed with myself once the race is done.  

Anyone have any words of wisdom?  Or, you can tell me to just HTFU!
Thanks

Stupid question?  1/2 Ironman, or 1/2 Marathon?  What are your excuses for not working out properly?  We can get you through this.... Just fine!
2009-04-14 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2084000

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Plainsman AU - 2009-04-14 3:28 PM

I am having issues with a big change of plans for the weekend.  I was supposed to do my first tri this weekend and I guess I am going to table it due to the uncertainty of this frigging economy.  I am self employed in the building industry and the last 3 months have sucked, and I don't see it getting that much better in the near future.  I guess I am feeling selfish taking a weekend trip to race not knowing what is coming the next few months. 

I have always said that when your OUTFLOW is more than your INFLOW, then you have problems with your CASHFLOW! It seems like a small thing, in that the race is paid for and I would be able to stay with one of my friends near the event, but I guess everything counts until the cashflow gets going the correct way again.  It is a hard thing to do, but I have been preaching about battening down the hatches to my wife, and I guess I must lead the way.  Anyway it is disappointing after looking forward to this for several months and working hard toward it, but the uncertainty ahead has me guarded.

On the brighter side of things...I will replace this one with another local race or two.  I was really enjoying this taper week, but what the hell...TRAINING ON!

Sorry to hear that Barry, travelling can be pretty expensive, it's good at least you can replace it with a couple local races though.  Suzy had a good idea about still doing one this weekend on your own for practice.
2009-04-14 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2084430

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-04-14 5:38 PM

I've uploaded my before and after video from my bike fitting (for those interesed in looking)..  The fitting made a huge difference, I feel more relaxed and comfortable on the bike.  It's amazing how a little adjustment throughout a bike can make such a huge difference.  Since the bike fitting I've already improved my avg mph around Central Park by 1.5mph, no more knee and back aches too!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=11855&photoid=98916

Very nice.  I need to look up road bike fitting.  I have spent so much time over the last year worrying about my tri-bike fit that I just did my own setup on my road bike.  Did they give you any explanation on what they did?
2009-04-14 7:00 PM

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 5:14 PM Hey gang,

OK, I'm not ususlly a whiner, but here goes.  I have a 1/2 in 3 1/2 weeks and I am slow on the training.
I'm just not getting the workouts in for various reasons.  I signed up for this race since it is basically the same course as my "A" race in November.  And I can't seem to get motivated.  However, I know if I don't hunker down I'm going to be disappointed with myself once the race is done.  

Thanks

Linda,

Is this your first HIM?  Are you comfortable with the distance? 

2009-04-14 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hello everyone,
I haven't introduced myself properly.  I am 37, married to a beautiful runner (runners are hot) for 8 years this month, and have a 6 and 4 y/o.  Been running for 4 years and triathlon training for 3.  2 "A" races this year - 1st is May 31st RNR San Diego and I am trying to BQ.  2nd is B2B and it will be my first 140.6.  I look forward to getting to know you all.  The mentor groups really help me stay motivated and I always learn from you all.  Chet
2009-04-14 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 4:14 PM Hey gang,

Thanks

Looking at your logs it looks like this is your first HIM.    Are you worried about some part of it?  or not finishing as strong as you would like to?  You have more experience than I do, but if it were me, I would not pass up the opportunity to treat it as a dry run for IM Florida.  If there is one part that worries you, can you put your energy into getting through it/learning from it? and treating the rest as a good work out?  That way when you get to your big A race, you will have built up a comfort level with some parts of your day. Just my two cents.
2009-04-14 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2084705

User image

Extreme Veteran
dalessit - 2009-04-14 7:55 PM
trying1 - 2009-04-14 5:38 PM

Very nice.  I need to look up road bike fitting.  I have spent so much time over the last year worrying about my tri-bike fit that I just did my own setup on my road bike.  Did they give you any explanation on what they did?

They did include notes on the CD they gave me.  Unfortunately I couldn't include it in the video because I converted the video to play without the required software.  The LBS used a cool piece of software that breaks down each part of your pedal stroke and posture and lets you write notes next to each.  If you want I can send you what he wrote.
2009-04-14 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2084194

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-14 4:22 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-04-14 2:28 PM

I have always said that when your OUTFLOW is more than your INFLOW, then you have problems with your CASHFLOW! It seems like a small thing, in that the race is paid for and I would be able to stay with one of my friends near the event, but I guess everything counts until the cashflow gets going the correct way again.  It is a hard thing to do, but I have been preaching about battening down the hatches to my wife, and I guess I must lead the way.  Anyway it is disappointing after looking forward to this for several months and working hard toward it, but the uncertainty ahead has me guarded.

Barry, Way to lead from the front!  But I say follow Trevor on this.  

I gotta go with Trevor too.  I understand financial concerns.  But you can't let things out of your control take over something you truly want and have busted your tail to get.  Do this one and redo your schedule for the rest of the summer.  My son's baseball team qualified for a national tourney in NC (8 hour drive) last year.  It wasn't a perfect time for me to miss a week of work, but I wasn't going to let that destroy something that my son had put untold hours and sweat into.  My wife and I sucked it up and my son and I went.  They didn't play well, but man was it worth it.
On a positive note, if you don't go no one will think any less of you.  Everyone can see the work you've put into this and that's the hard part.
2009-04-14 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

So I gave into a cyclist co-worker and just signed up to race in the local cycling club’s Giro on Thursday night.  This will be my first bike race ever.  It is a short (6 mile) looped course that we will ride a number of times.  How many times exactly I am not sure.  My co-worker said the race would be anywhere between 20 and 40 miles.  Yes, I signed up to race with a bunch of cyclists not knowing how long the race is. 

My main goal is to go as hard as I can to stay with the group and hope I don’t get dropped or crash.  They have races every Thursday so if I can keep up this week without crashing I might try to make it a weekly event.  I will report back on Friday if I survive.  In all honesty I am looking forward to this and secretly hoping I can pull off a top 10 finish, but I have no idea what the capabilities of the other racers will be.  I will just be having fun.

2009-04-14 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2083788

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-14 2:18 PM
BigReub - 2009-04-14 10:43 AM And does anyone know the format for importing a spreadsheet into the logs. I would like to put all my running for 2009 in the logs, but without the hassle of a web interface.
Thanks

Reuben did you try csv?  Did some poking around and found this...hope it helps.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=138465&posts=3&highlight=import%20spreadsheet%20&highlightmode=1#M1789464

Thanks, man.  Big help.  The web is great, but entering data is such a PITA.  Especially when it's several months worth of running.
2009-04-14 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 2:14 PM Hey gang,

Thanks

Linda- we cannot tell you to HTFU because Steve has disallowed that term in this forum!  It's not such a useful sentiment in a forum meant to be for learning and sharing  Can you do the race as a long training day?  That way if you are feeling good, you can push it a little, and if not, you are less likely to get down on yourself.  Since you have not said this is an "A" race, you can set some realistic goals based on your current fitness and training.  An HIM is a huge achievement in itself aside from time goals.  Is it your first HIM?  That would be a great confidence builder for your November race, esp. if it's on the same course.  

2009-04-14 9:38 PM

User image

Thanks everyone!  After typing my little whine this afternoon I went and had a decent run & swim workout tonight.  
This will be my 2nd HIM.  I am comfortable with the distance (I like distance ... I have no speed to me) I am just a little concerned that I have not gotten in all the training that my plan calls for.  I feel that last fall when I did my first HIM I was way more prepared - training wise.  But as many have suggested I will take the training day approach...after all, I really did sign up for this to do the course in preparatoin for Novemmber. 

Thanks again.  And, no more whining from me  Smile 
2009-04-14 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2082590

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I think I will go with the one on one coaching.  I can always do TI later if the one on one doesn't work out. 

Suzy - I reset my log settings to let anyone view them.  However, as I have just started training and logging again in the last couple of weeks and have been sidelined for approximately a week now due to some surgery, you will not find much in them.  Can't wait until next Tuesday morning when I can start working out again..

2009-04-14 10:18 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Next event (i don't think a bicycle rally counts as a "race") is a week from Saturday.  40 miles at the Muenster, TX Germanfest Metric Century (I'm not quite ready for the 63 miles ride yet).  It will be the longest ride I have riden since I was 15!  Should count as my bicycle LSD for the week though!  Does anyone else do these sorts of rally rides as part of training or for fun?  I have done one other, so let me know if there are some helpful hints.

Andy

2009-04-14 11:30 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
ABrunner that sounds actually really fun while pretty intense at the same time!  Good luck and keep us posted!  Great training!

Linda, you may not have the miles, as you did in the past but what goes even further is the base that you have developed over the last couple years!  The fitness IS THERE!  The only thing that will hurt you is if you are playing mental games with yourself.  I am not saying HTFU (I don't like that), but what I am saying is that you are going to be fine, you have the knowledge, the strength, and the mental fortitude (sp?) to get through this race.  You have already done the distance.  YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!  So start working on your mental game, and know that you will be just fine, and that come race day it is just another LONG TRAINING SESSION!
2009-04-14 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2085099

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
ashort33 - 2009-04-14 10:18 PM

Next event (i don't think a bicycle rally counts as a "race") is a week from Saturday.  40 miles at the Muenster, TX Germanfest Metric Century (I'm not quite ready for the 63 miles ride yet).  It will be the longest ride I have riden since I was 15!  Should count as my bicycle LSD for the week though!  Does anyone else do these sorts of rally rides as part of training or for fun?  I have done one other, so let me know if there are some helpful hints.

Andy

Hey Andy

These types of rides are the only real experience that I have here.  It is because of these rides that I ended up moving to triathlon.  I have a group that I ride with and we would ride several centuries and metrics thru the year.  They are alot of fun and you get some great training in to boot.  Find a good group to ride with and enjoy the day.  Stop and eat along the way and don't push too hard to start.  If you take it easy, you may be able to pull the metric off.  Main thing...have fun
2009-04-15 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2085033

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 10:38 PM Thanks everyone!  After typing my little whine this afternoon I went and had a decent run & swim workout tonight.  
This will be my 2nd HIM.  I am comfortable with the distance (I like distance ... I have no speed to me) I am just a little concerned that I have not gotten in all the training that my plan calls for.  I feel that last fall when I did my first HIM I was way more prepared - training wise.  But as many have suggested I will take the training day approach...after all, I really did sign up for this to do the course in preparatoin for Novemmber. 

Whining is A-OK.  That is another thing these groups are good for.  We all have our crappy days and it feels good to whine to other people who have had crappy training days.
2009-04-15 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Since we are allowed to whine - I signed up for this last minute olympic this saturday and check the water temperature, 59 degrees! I'm going to die!!!!!!!

Editted for ripping rights, Tony, get your butt into the Potomac and start your OWSing. If I can be out there you can too!!!

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-15 8:43 AM
2009-04-15 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Barry - that is a tough one.  I admire your willingness to sacrifice and set a good example, but you've already paid for the race and you have a free place to stay!!  Depending on how far the travel distance is, can't you pack your own food and try to do it anyway?  That is so sad.

Chet - B2B?  That wouldn't be Beach to Battleship would it?  If so, what made you travel from NV to NC?  I'm thinking about going to watch that race, have lots of friends racing.  If you will be there we should meet up. That would be cool.

Andy - I've done several charity rides and loved them all.   They are usually very relaxed and have great aide stations set up. Lots of good food and friendly people.  I think you'll have a wonderful time and they are a great way to accomplish your long training rides in a fun atmosphere.

Linda - I agree with the comments posted, especially since you've done this distance before.  There is nothing wrong with just doing a race to have fun.  In theory that is what I am suppose to be doing this Saturday while I get hyperthermia

2009-04-15 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2085558

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
tahrens - 2009-04-15 8:33 AM

Since we are allowed to whine - I signed up for this last minute olympic this saturday and check the water temperature, 59 degrees! I'm going to die!!!!!!!

Editted for ripping rights, Tony, get your butt into the Potomac and start your OWSing. If I can be out there you can too!!!

Don't forget to pee!  (in your wetsuit)
2009-04-15 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2085641

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Plainsman AU - 2009-04-15 9:58 AM
tahrens - 2009-04-15 8:33 AM

Don't forget to pee!  (in your wetsuit)

ha ha ha,  of course.  That will need some work though because it is a beach start and it is surprisingly difficult to pee while swimming.  But I'm sure I will figure it out.  Just don't swim behind me.
2009-04-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2085435

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-04-15 6:48 AM
Havin'Fun - 2009-04-14 10:38 PM Thanks everyone!  After typing my little whine this afternoon I went and had a decent run & swim workout tonight.  

Whining is A-OK.  That is another thing these groups are good for.  We all have our crappy days and it feels good to whine to other people who have had crappy training days.

Amd my lord....Tony whines alot!!! HAHA...figured I'd make a Tony whiner post my 300th post!
2009-04-15 9:12 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey whoever( i think it was Steve last time??)...Can you set up that chart again with everyone's blog on it?? So we can click on it and hit everyone's blog?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383