BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2615652

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Subject: RE: Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED!

Let's title this "Equipment Envy" Tongue out

My hubster asked for and received from me, a Garmin Forerunner 305 and some "necessary" accessories for Christmas. He sent detailed email links specifying what to buy and where to buy it ...not much surprise under the tree

LOVE this little gadget. He even took it skiing, and was able to tell me he skiied 35 miles, his top speed was 40+ mph, and then graphically showed me his skiiing over a google map. Way cool. He came in from his run yesterday and uploaded his pace, heart rates, you guys probably already know all this stuff.

I want one! But do I want the 305, the new 310? the 405? What accessories (he got an extra bike set up) . Best place to buy it without breaking the bank? Money mouth

Anyone have one and what do you like/not like about it?

Happy Saturday, cloudy and grey here today, getting ready for a group bike ride...

Pamela

2010-01-16 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2617149

User image

Pro
Burbs
sbtrichick - 2010-01-16 10:13 AM

Let's title this "Equipment Envy" Tongue out

My hubster asked for and received from me, a Garmin Forerunner 305 and some "necessary" accessories for Christmas. He sent detailed email links specifying what to buy and where to buy it ...not much surprise under the tree

LOVE this little gadget. He even took it skiing, and was able to tell me he skiied 35 miles, his top speed was 40+ mph, and then graphically showed me his skiiing over a google map. Way cool. He came in from his run yesterday and uploaded his pace, heart rates, you guys probably already know all this stuff.

I want one! But do I want the 305, the new 310? the 405? What accessories (he got an extra bike set up) . Best place to buy it without breaking the bank? Money mouth

Anyone have one and what do you like/not like about it?

Happy Saturday, cloudy and grey here today, getting ready for a group bike ride...

Pamela

Have a great ride !

As for the GPS -- I have the Garmin 205 (same as the 305 but w/ out the HRM) and I LOVE IT!
IMO, the 310x isn't really worth it. Yes, you can wear it in the water, but it doesn't calculate speed/ distance while you're swimming... so what's the point? I guess b/c you can wear it for the whole race.

The 305s are going for really cheap right now (thanks to the 405 and the 310x) -- http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=garmin+305&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8943909767001363183&ei=HvFRS6rnCdGXtgel2cWtDA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

looks like you can easily find one for under $200 ! you can get a quick release mount for your bike, too.
2010-01-16 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2614523

User image

Pro
Burbs
Tania: looks like you are taking a lot of positive steps toward becoming a triathlete !

A new bike -- that's SO exciting !! You can often find a cheaper bike online, but fit fit fit is most important. I suggest you head to your local bike shop and try out a bunch of bikes. Some bikes are better for people with long legs, some for people with long torsos, etc. Also, WSD (women specific design) bikes are made for a women (bigger hips etc). Good luck with your search ! Don't forgot to ask the people at the LSB lots of questions.

Good luck with the swimming, too
2010-01-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2615304

User image

Pro
Burbs

Maria -- that race sounds like so much fun !! Definitely rock that warrior hat

2010-01-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2576738

User image

Pro
Burbs
How is everyone's weekend going ? Getting in any good training ?

2010-01-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2618084

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

GM Trishie!

Love the invisible swimming pool! Wish I had the flexibility of a cat! 

I was actually doing some, "Swim Training Outside the Pool" exercises yesterday from an article in the December Triathlete magazine. My shoulders are sore this morning.

Pamela Cool

2010-01-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2618084

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Question for a Sunday morning as I keep putting off going out for my run:

Are any of you using the Beginner Triathlete online training programs? Which one? How are you liking them?

I am doing a Winter Maintenance program.

And when do you transition to a "regular" season program? Should I wait until 12 weeks before? Start one of the 20 or 26 week programs? Any thoughts?

Pamela Cool
2010-01-17 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2618178

Regular
Hi Pamela,

I am using the 20 week 2X balanced training plan and I really like it.  I may eventually switch to the 3X program once I figure out what I'm doing.  But I'm a newb - what do I know?!

I hope your run went better than my swim!

I'm really interested in the Mercier Elle WSD bike from Bikes Direct (online).  2 Questions - 1)  I've not heard anything bad about Bikes Direct - has anyone else?  2)  Not sure what size to get (and I can't obviously test one).  If you HAD to choose, would it be better to have a bike that is a little to big or a little too small?  I know it would be ideal to test one, but you can't when you buy online.

Tania
2010-01-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2618455

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi Tania,

Thanks for sharing the training program you are using..I have been looking at the 3X program to transition into...

On BIKE fit. My humble two cents worth...Cycling is my strongest sport of the three. I have  been riding bikes a long time and used to XC race MTBs as well as do up to double century's on a road bike.

This is probably going to be one of your most expensive purchases and unless you can afford to buy them often, I would be pretty picky. My road bike was $2500.00 on sale, prior year model, and I have been riding it for five years. I am just now tweaking it to do tri's, added aero bars, straight seat post, etc.  It's a Klein Carbon Pro.  I will probably buy a more Tri Specific Bike in the  next two years if I keep up my participation in the sport.

Your BIKE MUST FIT as well as possible. You should probably go to a local bike shop and play with geometry and stand over height, top tube length, crank arm length, handlebar stem length, blah, blah, blah. I would strongly recommend test riding bikes which any decent bike shop should allow. I would not buy any bike a size "too large or too small". There will be a model out there that fits you PERFECTLY! I PROMISE

I  have spent up to six weekends at a bike shop trying bikes out. When I was MTB racing I took them out in the dirt..when I was picking a road bike I took them out for a spin, up hill, down hill, around corners, brakes, etc. And we won't even get into how many bike seats I have tried ...

Take your time, do it right  

And if you are going to order online, I would recommend you know your sizes/numbers and how they handle returns, warranties, etc. 

Good Luck, have fun!
Cool
Pamela
2010-01-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2618176

Regular
sbtrichick - 2010-01-17 9:49 AM

GM Trishie!

Love the invisible swimming pool! Wish I had the flexibility of a cat! 

I was actually doing some, "Swim Training Outside the Pool" exercises yesterday from an article in the December Triathlete magazine. My shoulders are sore this morning.

Pamela Cool

I'm really struggling with my swimming!  I can't breathe right and I'm terrified that I'm going to suck in a lungful of water and drown myself.  And because of this I'm not making any gains in endurance in the pool.  I'm starting swim lessons tonight so that will help a bit.  My question is:  Until I feel comfortable in the pool, would it be silly to put in my pool time while wearing a snorkle?  I really want to swim until I'm tired and force myself to go further each time.  I'm not comfortable with this yet because I feel like I'm going to drown.

Tania
2010-01-19 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2618455

User image

Pro
Burbs

Tania --- I'm x2ing Pamela. It's really hard to know if a bike fits without riding it. Can you try any of those bikes out before ordering them online??

2010-01-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2621685

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-01-19 11:47 AM

I'm really struggling with my swimming!  I can't breathe right and I'm terrified that I'm going to suck in a lungful of water and drown myself.  And because of this I'm not making any gains in endurance in the pool.  I'm starting swim lessons tonight so that will help a bit.  My question is:  Until I feel comfortable in the pool, would it be silly to put in my pool time while wearing a snorkle?  I really want to swim until I'm tired and force myself to go further each time.  I'm not comfortable with this yet because I feel like I'm going to drown.

Tania

I'm really not sure --- this is a question that might be best answered in the general forum.
(if you are uncomfortable asking there I'd be happy to ask for you )

2010-01-19 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Tania - Here is a previous thread regarding use of snorkels.  From what I understand, they are actually legal to use during a race (unless otherwise posted).  This thread gives a few opinions on them. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=159841&posts=20&mid=2163331&highlight=snorkel&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2163331

Well, I went indoor rock cimbing this weekend!  It was FUN!  I figured it would help with repelling at the Warrior Dash.  I also started working on pull-ups.  One of the obstacles in the Warrior Dash is to pull yourself up over a wall.  If I cannot do a pull up, I wonder if I could get myself up over a wall? 

Do any of you ladies do strength training?  I really want to work on strength, but it's hard to fit everything in and still have time to recover.

2010-01-19 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey gang!!!

I am back at home and finally back in the groove. Today was my first day back at work since the funeral and boy was I swamped. But overall, I got a lot done. Hopefully I can make training work this week.

Just before we left last week, I finally tried on my wetsuit. Boy is that thing a chore to get on over the butt. Any tips from those of you who are frequent users?

I am super duper excited. My husband ordered my new tri bike and it should be in some time next week. I won't actually get to have it until sometime in March but I can't wait to see it. (We are keeping it at the LBS as a display so that the owner can show off the new Tri Bikes. I ordered mine the same time as a fellow triathlete and we are both displaying the bikes in the store for a month or so.)

What is everyones goals for the week?
2010-01-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2622993

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Steph - Glad you're getting back into a routine.  Is your wetsuit full sleeve or sleeveless?  I bought a full suit and I tell you what, you get a workout just putting the thing on!  Talk about working up a sweat...  I have no experience, so someone else will have to chime in on this one.  I'm just hoping to get in some OWS time before my early season Tri's start!  And congrats on the Tri bike!  I don't think I could stand have it on display that long and not be able to ride it...!!!

Goals for the week.... keep hanging on to my training plan!  Plus get in strength and yoga.

I'm really enjoying the yoga class; we get to stand on our heads and play on the giant bouncy balls!  I'm the tightest person in the group, but hopefully that will soon be remedied. I really think I could perform better with more flexibility.

I got in a 2000 yard continuous swim this morning.  I'm feeling confident about making the distance, just not so confident about being the last person out of the water! 

And I can say this here since we are all ladies - I forgot my bra and panties today!  Fortunately, I had a sports bra with me for my after work workout, and I remembered my slip and stockings, so I just came on to work as is.  I really need to pack an emergency bag to keep in my trunk.
2010-01-20 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Maria, Thank goodness you had back up today. I have done that many times. Lucky for me it has always happened in the winter time so I just throw on my jeans and make sure my jacket is zipped tight and I head home to shower. 

Long story short, I work for a college and have an on campus apartment in addition to the house my husband and I own. It is convenient for using the Campus pool which is just feet away from my apartment. I stay on campus when I have late night events or meetings. During the winter I just change out of my suit at the pool locker room and into dry clothing and then head to the apartment to use my shower rather than showing at the gym. I swim in a pretty old pool and the showers are a little less than desirable when I have my own personal shower just yards away.

2010-01-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2622297

Regular

Do any of you ladies do strength training?  I really want to work on strength, but it's hard to fit everything in and still have time to recover.

Hey Maria!  Thanks for the tips on snorkeling!  I'll be sure to digest all the info!  My workouts are nowhere near as numerous or intense as yours, but I have been working on adding yoga and core training to my weekly workouts, plus my own little crack addiction that I like to call krav maga.  It is a self defense martial art that builds muscle like the Amish build barns.  I have NEVER had arm, shoulders and back muscles like I have now, and let's not even talk about my quads!  So that's my strength training tip/story!

Tania
2010-01-21 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2621685

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
waltontl - 2010-01-19 8:47 AM

Tania

Hi Tania,

I am TERRIFIED of the water. And just learned to swim the Summer of 2008 at age 48

Some suggestions that help me. Balance drills & floating and Bobs.  Maybe look at Total Immersion Swimming (TI), I used their balance drills in a 3' pool and it took me awhile to get comfortable putting my face in the water. Do you have someone to swim with? My hubby and I filmed on his digital camera ourselves "swimming" at first, which helped. For example, my legs drag because I keep my head to high, because I am afraid to put my face in the water.

Not sure what I think about the snorkel idea...leaning against, not for..

good luck, this is an area where I feel your pain...I *STILL* won't change lanes by ducking under the lane ropes ..I actually physically get out of the pool and move over a lane..that darn fear of being underwater and getting stuck under the rope!

Pamela
2010-01-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2622993

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
WETSUIT TIP: One tip I got and use...as silly as it looks...slip thin plastic grocerie bags over each foot to help your feet slide into the wetsuit --BTW-- I won't do this at an actual race

ANOTHER TIP: "TriGlide" spray made especially for wetsuits. I spray this on my body pre-race and the wetsuit slips right on!

Watch your fingernails! I actually pulled too hard and put a little fingernail divot in my suit

Pamela
2010-01-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2625351

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Question: Running to "exhaustion"?

Okay, first of all, I am such a slow short distance runner this situation seems impossible, and I am a little embarrassed to ask, but I think I "overheated" Tuesday night to the point where I had to take an unscheduled day off yesterday and felt like crap.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing and what do you do?

I went to the gym Tuesday night to do my scheduled 4 mile run on the treadmill. Having just done a great run Sunday of 4.6 miles with a group I was feeling pretty good.

I was only keeping a 6mph/10 min mile pace, but I started to get uncomfortable and felt like it was taking a high level of exertion to keep that pace. I managed to finish the 4 miles in 40 mins (my training goal), but my face was beet red, I was light headed and my head was pounding! My HRM reading wasn't off the charts.  FYI, I was well hydrated drinking a sports drink before I started (cytomax) and sipping a couple times during the run. 

I went home and pretty much collapsed. BUT, couldn't sleep, I had a burning/tightness in my left upper chest, pounding headache and felt like I couldn't rest, impossible to fall asleep. Tossed and turned all night and felt like crap/exhausted all day yesterday. It's only today that the "weirdness" in my body has subsided.

Anyone dealt with anything like this?

pamela
2010-01-21 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2626418

Regular
Pamela!!

I'm not a profesional or anything so I just have some questions.

1) Was the treadmill on an incline?

2)  Sorry - I don't know your age, but could you have been having a hot flash??

3)  What's your diet been like lately?  Too much protein and not enough carbs?  Potassium??

4)  Not a question - see a doctor for the chest pain!!

Take care,

Tania

2010-01-21 7:18 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Good evening ladies

Maria | re: strength training. I don't, and it's really just becuase I don't feel like it Embarassed. I used to do Body Pump at the gym and really liked that because it hit all the muscle groups and I didn't have to worry about what I was doing. During IM training I dropped it totally because I simply didn't have the time... and now, well, lazyness has taken over with weights! There is a lot of debate as to weather or not it makes you a better triathlete, but I think it's good for overall health. And haha about the bra and panties. We've all been there (or somewhere similar )

Stef | A new wetsuit ! A new bike ! Wheeeee ! I echo the garbage bag over the foot thing -- it makes getting it on so much easier. As to wrigling it over the rest of the body ... I do a lot of jumping and pulling It takes me some time to get it all on and pulled up correctly. Post photos of your bike - excited to see it ! What make/ model ? How fun that it's modeling at the LBS for a bit ! Man do I miss my college pool. I went to Univ of Md College Park and we had a beautiful nadatorium --- a 25m warm up pool and a 50m long course pool. And it was FREE.

Tania | Tell me me about the krav maga. Do you compete? When did you get started? How is the swimming going --- I know you were going to have some lessons? I think swimming is the kind of thing you just have to keep working on.. and it WILL get easier. I promise. Is your first tri in open water or a pool ?

Pamela | Sorry to hear about the run   It could just be a weird one time thing. Every so often (like once every 3 months) I get REALLY sore calves and arches... like there is something seriously wrong with my legs/ feet/ running shoes. I have no idea why this happens. If you get the same feelings on your next run - esp. with the chest pain. Take care of yourself, okay ??

When is everyone's first race of the season ??

I'd also like to encourage everyone to "inspire" some of your mentee buddies

2010-01-21 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2627737

Regular
QUOTE]trishie - 2010-01-21 7:18 PM

Tania | Tell me me about the krav maga. Do you compete? When did you get started? How is the swimming going --- I know you were going to have some lessons? I think swimming is the kind of hing you just have to keep working on.. and it WILL get easier. I promise. Is your first tri in open water or a pool ?

Trishie - no there aren't any competitions that I know of.  Krav Maga is an Israeli self defense "martial art" whose name literally means 'close combat'.  We learn how to fight and how to defend ourselves such as if someone chokes me, comes at me with a gun or knife, etc.  The idea is to stop the attack, inflict the most possible damage in defense, and then get away.  I have been doing it for just over 2 years now and I'm getting ready to test to level 3.  I have NEVER been in the shape I'm in now.  It's insane!

My first tri is at the end of May in open water!!!  That reminds me - must rent a wetsuit.

The swimming is still confounding me.  I had a swimming lesson and they invited me to come in when they're already there (ie not charging me the normal fee).  I will go in as long as they'll have me.  They've given me lots of good advice already.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Tania

Edited by waltontl 2010-01-21 7:57 PM
2010-01-21 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
LOL Getting the wetsuit on the legs is a breeze. and pulling it up my legs is easy too. However getting it over my hump of a butt seems impossible. I guess I just need practice. LOL I am too afraid of ripping the suit.

My new bike is a 9.8 Trek Equinox WSD. I have included the picture below from my prelim build on the Trek website.
The only difference is we decided for Race X Light wheels instead of the Aeolus Wheels that are in that picture. Honestly if I had the Aeolus on the bike in a cross wind I would be knocked on my butt in a heart beat. I am hoping that I might add a set of dish wheels later on down the road but for right now it just doesn't make sense. I also changed the bar tape to hot pink. But other than those two, that is my new bike! I can't wait to see it in person.

2010-01-22 3:56 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Stef - We have so much in common!  I work at a college too.  We bought the neighboring YMCA a few years ago (ie. the buildings/property, then lease it back to them), so we get rock bottom rates for membership.  It's so convenient to swim and get dressed and I'm right there by my office.

Wow!  Nice bike!  You're making me want a Tri bike!  But alas, I'll have to stick with my road bike for now.

Pamela - Good suggestions for the wetsuit!  I've heard of Glide, but didn't know about the spray version.  As for the running, I've never had that happen.  However some runs are SO much more difficult than other runs.  I'd have to agree with Tania's suggestions.  The first thing that came to my mind was hydration/nutrition.

Tania - That Krav Magna sounds like a good thing to know!  Esp. when out running alone.  Keep up the swim lessons, but remember... it has a lot to do with mental effort.  Don't let your imagination of what bad things could happen fuel your fears.  Focus on the water being a calm, peaceful place.  When I'm swimming laps, I pretend I am swimming over a beautiful coral reef with colorful fish.  When I'm done with laps I like to play stingray!  I love the feeling of gliding  underwater; so I put my belly to the line on the  bottom of the pool and follow it to where the bottom drops off into the deep end as if it is opening up into a deep blue sea of coral and caves and fish.  Might seem silly, but I think it's fun!

Trishie - First race is Rumba on the Lumber 5K on March 6!!!  This was my very first race last year when I thought that running a 5K would be my biggest accomplishment of 2009.  Two weeks after that is a half marathon on March 21.  First Tri is an Oly on April 10, followed by my first HIM on May 8!

Hope everyone has a great day!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12