BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-26 5:20 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Happy christmas to everyone.

Training has taken a backseat over the last couple of days but hoping to get for a swim monday/tuesday to blow the cobwebs off. 

2010-12-26 7:07 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Not sure what to do today.  I took off yesterday and my 10 week training plan starts tomorrow with a swim/bike day.  I may go in and work a full body circuit and get some good stretching in.  Feel a sore throat coming on so hopefully can fight it off.  Hope everyone had a great holiday yesterday!

Have a question for all.  The beginner plans I have found are 10 and 12 weeks but the tri I would like to do is in June.  Would it be best for me to follow my own plan of say multiple days of swimming for the next month then do the plan or just do the plan as it is written and perhaps do it a couple of times?  The swim is my weakest area and read a plan on here that says when beginning it would be best to be in the pool about 4 days a week but most plans are not written like that. 

Edited by n3dinc 2010-12-26 7:17 AM
2010-12-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3261438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
IceManScott - 2010-12-25 7:41 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.  Today is a rest day.  Tomorrow is 3 hours on the Computrainer.  oh boy! 
ice.

Ice you rock!  Computrainer or not, three hours is a long time on any trainer!  Hope you have some dvd's or something to watch.
2010-12-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3261536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
robingray_260 - 2010-12-25 10:42 PM forgive me for asking but what is the difference between a computrainer and a regular trainer?  Whatever it is I hope there is some extra diversions involved to be on it for 3 hours! Have funTongue out

A computrainer is a trainer that hooks up to your computer.  It gives you feedback on your speed, distance, watts, cadence......  You can also load real course files that adjust the resistance to mimic the hills, etc. you will face in many races (and in some cases scenery).  It's a nice distraction but you still have to put in the time.
2010-12-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3261658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
n3dinc
Have a question for all.  The beginner plans I have found are 10 and 12 weeks but the tri I would like to do is in June.  Would it be best for me to follow my own plan of say multiple days of swimming for the next month then do the plan or just do the plan as it is written and perhaps do it a couple of times?  The swim is my weakest area and read a plan on here that says when beginning it would be best to be in the pool about 4 days a week but most plans are not written like that. 

If it was me, I'd use the first couple weeks of the plan as a guide as far as the number of workouts in each leg and work up to the distances.  Substituting an extra swim workout or two is a great idea as long as you don't overdo it.  You want to start your plan ready to do the more focused training, not already burned out.
2010-12-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3261467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
suzimmer - 2010-12-25 7:35 PM
IceManScott - 2010-12-25 6:41 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.  Today is a rest day.  Tomorrow is 3 hours on the Computrainer.  oh boy!  But I heard today it is supposed to be 55 degrees by Friday!  If that's true, I may get some New Year miles outdoors next weekend.  Yippee.!

As a plus, got the titanium road bike back in two days after having a Dura Ace shifter break and they gave me a break on the price too.  That was really nice.

ice.

Do you own a computrainer?  I'm jealous.  Plan old trainer ride for me tomorrow. UG.

Training started first week of Dec for me as I have an April 10 marathon.

Susie

Yes, I invested in a Computrainer this year after doing several winters with a fluid trainer in the basement watching Hogan Hereos reruns.  "Hooooogan!"  "I seeeeeeee nuting."  One more year of that .....  The thought was not pretty.  I've been training with a coach (Stan Watkins from Vision Quest) and a Power Tap for a while. Incredible progress.  And he likes to use the Computrainer because he can email me workouts ..I up load and the computer leads me through it.  There is no BSing.   Really efficient.  And though three hours is thee hours, it SEEMS shorter when I can watch the screen.  Going out to buy a new boombox and maybe one of those individual DVD players today.  But no more Hogan.

Ice

2010-12-26 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Upgrade to MASH reruns maybe?!?! 
2010-12-26 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
I DREAD the trainer rides.  In fact, I'm procrastinating from doing one as I type. I've tried Spinervals DVDs    (I'm actually in one!),   watching movies...etc, and I still don't like it.  Would love a computrainer, but that's out of my price range, esp now with 2 college tuitions.
Should just go downstairs and get it over with.  But the dog's snuggled on the couch looking lonely...
2010-12-26 11:07 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Good Morning!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm  McFuzz's wife.  If you ever need him to go sit in time-out, just let me know and I will assist you!  Have fun with training and enjoy the other aspects of your life at the same time.  I will pop in on occasion but you are more than welcome to hop on over to my blog in you need anything.  I have posted pictures in my album of our new grandson.  Here is one to tempt you!

Timothy's first books
2010-12-26 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey all!  Hope everyone had a great holiday!  I had planned to get in some strength training before making the rounds to my parent's house for dinner and brother's house for deserts, but woke up with very sore shoulders/upper back.  I'm thinking it might be from the swimming on Friday.  It's been a while since I've been in the pool consistently. 

Long run scheduled for today - 9 miles hopefully.  I'm debating on heading outside (possibly to the HS track) or heading downstairs to the TM (not my favorite idea).  The snow has stopped and the sky is clear so the track is looking pretty good right now. 

To answer Kim's questions:  I'm actually about halfway through my training program for my half marathon on March 6th.  Swimming and biking are kind of hit and miss right now.  After the race I'll start a more structured tri training program.  I'm looking at a couple of sprints in May/June - just have to decide which one I want to do. 
2010-12-26 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3261812

User image

Expert
Missouri
suzimmer - 2010-12-26 11:02 AM I DREAD the trainer rides.  In fact, I'm procrastinating from doing one as I type. I've tried Spinervals DVDs    (I'm actually in one!),   watching movies...etc, and I still don't like it.  Would love a computrainer, but that's out of my price range, esp now with 2 college tuitions.
Should just go downstairs and get it over with.  But the dog's snuggled on the couch looking lonely...

I have the same issue with long runs on the TM, lol!  Talk about boring!  Even with a movie or music, the time just drags.  Short runs and even intervals I can handle, but the tempo runs or long runs just bore me to tears.  I need to just put on my big girl panties and head outsideLaughing.  It may be chilly, but still much more enjoyable.

Oh, and for whoever was asking before (sorry, I'm awful with names), my pace is always slower on a TM and the run seems harder.  Another reason to get my butt outside today!

Edited by soccermom15 2010-12-26 11:16 AM

2010-12-26 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hear ya on the long runs on the TM.  We've had a lot of snow over the past 2 days so running outside has been iffy.  Didn't plow the streets yesterday so, I was on the treadmill for 9 miles.  UG.  I know people who run in the snow, but I don't.  I don't mind the cold temps so much, but in the snow is slippery, not to mention the wet and then subsequently very cold feet.

As you can tell, I am still procrastinating.
2010-12-26 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
The weather broke here in northern Cal. I'm heading out for a nice 13 miler. Happy Sunday All!
2010-12-26 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3261813

User image

Elite
BAMBAM66 - 2010-12-26 11:07 AM Good Morning!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm  McFuzz's wife.  If you ever need him to go sit in time-out, just let me know and I will assist you!  Have fun with training and enjoy the other aspects of your life at the same time.  I will pop in on occasion but you are more than welcome to hop on over to my blog in you need anything.  I have posted pictures in my album of our new grandson.  Here is one to tempt you!

Timothy's first books

Awww...how precious!  Hey, none of those books are training books!
2010-12-26 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
I'm one of the rare birds who don't mind treadmill runs. I mean if given the chance I prefer outdoors in great conditions, but high winds (which we get a lot of) or a combo of cold and high winds I don't mind doing my longer runs inside.  I can catch up on shows I've DVR'd.  As for the trainer...my brand spankin' new Kurt Kinetic is set up, but can't get the darn trainer tire on, so I have to wait to try it out until tomorrow.  I'm anxious to see how I'll like spending hours on it! I've started working through Dexter Season 2...that will keep me occupied for a while!
2010-12-26 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I hear you when you say the Computrainer was out of your price range.  Me too .  But I have two jobs.  I write for a newspaper and I write for magazines.  The magazine money goes to support the bikes and other tri needs.  (I have an incredibly supportive wife.)

Bought a treadmill recently.  I fell last year trying to do a long run after dark.  Won't be forced to do that anymore. 

Boredom, I know it well.  But the CT helps the time go fast on the bike and I do active meditation. Actually turns boredom into a time for mental focus.

Just finished the Pigman Half IM course on the CT and a warmup all under 3 hours.  Not bad for this time of year. 

Damaged IT band holding up.  I think it is mended (cross my fingers) and I am devoted now to stretching and foam rollers after every workout.  Really seems to have helped.

Have a great day
Ice.

2010-12-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3260956

User image

Del Rio, TX
I've always been told that 1.5-2 incline is what mimics outdoors best.  I second looking into treadmill workouts.  You can get some from itunes...nike treadmill workouts.  They breakup the workout a bit and it's something different, plus the music is in sync with your bpm for the workout.  
2010-12-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3262052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
sjhodgson - 2010-12-26 4:02 PM I've always been told that 1.5-2 incline is what mimics outdoors best.  I second looking into treadmill workouts.  You can get some from itunes...nike treadmill workouts.  They breakup the workout a bit and it's something different, plus the music is in sync with your bpm for the workout.  

Thanks! I've been looking for just that sort of thing.  I'm afraid I'm out of the music loop these days...don't know what rocks and what doesn't unless it's classic rock!
2010-12-26 4:14 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX
So I'm going to be buying some tri training books but haven't yet.  If I'm looking to do my first oly this year, how long should I train for that specific race?  Also, I can swim for a long time if I can do the breast stroke but my ability to do freestyle for long is limited to about 75m.  Mostly because I run out of air not because of being tired.  I can do 75 m then 25m of breast stroke and then back to freestyle but I need that 25m to catch my breath.  

Should I be able to do any race that I enter freestyle the whole time or is it common practice to switch between the two strokes?

Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?  I breathe every stroke...well every other I guess it would be (always breath every time my left arm goes) so I'm not sure how else I can better my distance.  
2010-12-26 4:17 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
I forgot to add that I am on facebook (Beth A McDaniel)  if you need a quick response from McFuzz.  I am on there waaaay more often than I should be but I enjoy talking to friends across the US and it helps with that!
2010-12-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3262064

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
I JUST started swimming this year (last January to be exact) and being an in-shape runner, swimming pissed me off for that very reason...the breathing. It was SO HARD for me to learn how to breathe in the water.  But what helped is for me to just take it one length at a time.  Don't be afraid to slow WAY down (think, like a long run) relax, and then push yourself a little further each time.  ONE more length.  Oh, and make sure you are exhaling underwater continuously and not holding your breath.  I'm by no means a coach OR experienced in the pool, but it worked for me!

sjhodgson - 2010-12-26 5:14 PM So I'm going to be buying some tri training books but haven't yet.  If I'm looking to do my first oly this year, how long should I train for that specific race?  Also, I can swim for a long time if I can do the breast stroke but my ability to do freestyle for long is limited to about 75m.  Mostly because I run out of air not because of being tired.  I can do 75 m then 25m of breast stroke and then back to freestyle but I need that 25m to catch my breath.  

Should I be able to do any race that I enter freestyle the whole time or is it common practice to switch between the two strokes?

Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?  I breathe every stroke...well every other I guess it would be (always breath every time my left arm goes) so I'm not sure how else I can better my distance.  

2010-12-26 5:46 PM

Veteran
Hi, can I still join this group?
2010-12-26 6:17 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
McFuzz has already included you in the group!  I'll let him know you stopped in.  He's in Seattle visiting our middle son and has spotty internet for a few days.
2010-12-26 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3259821

User image

New user
USA
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - OPEN
McFuzz - 2010-12-23 5:21 PM
Buffedstuff - 2010-12-23 2:07 PM Hello, to all of you beautiful people. I hope you want get this party started without me. 
I try never to confuse what I do with who I am but for introductions sake I will combine the two.
First, I would be delighted if you call me Buff, I have been blessed to hang around this planet for almost 50 years.

I have been married to a brillant  piece of humanity for the past 31 years. He is my Knight in tranished armour, translated he is as flawed as I am so we make the perfect couple.

We produced a few offspring and  are now labeled grandparents.  In my past life I was a solider...US Army style...Hooah. 9 years ago, I quit smoking, lost my mind,  and ate my way to almost 200 pounds.  It took me a few years to climb on the health bandwagon but by 2006 I was determined to lose the weight ( it took me a almost a year)  and adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Today I am a business woman/certified personal trainer and all around great gal Smile

In  2010 I became a figure competitor  who just happen to run a breezy 5k and a mountainous half marathon.

I am ready to start 2011 at WDW running in my second half.  Then I will switch the scenery and  trek it across the desert in my first Marathon. Surprised

So what in the heck am I doing here? because somewhere deep inside is a triathlete waiting to be unleashed.

So before the end of 2012 I hope I will be able to swim run and cycle my way across the finish line.

Here is your  chance to help a poor little old granny lady defy the odds and become a better verision of herself. Here is my chance to cheer all of you on towards victory. I enjoy being in a room of champions.

Stay focused on the vision people, you can make your dreams a reality. Smile

THANKYOU!THANKYOU!THANKYOU!!

Not sure what your name is (Buff certainly fits), or where you are, but you've had an amazing transformation and you have an awesome attitude! 

(Pssstt...everyone...click on Buffedstuff's profile.  Check out the pics, and then go to the website. 

Well, you sir, are simply to kind but hey this old girl never turns down  praise nor constructive  criticism.  It keeps me grounded and I realize I am only one little cog in this beautiful wheel of humanity. Might I thank you for taking the time, to Mentor all of us. May we grow, flourish and thrive as we  apply the insight we learn here to our daily lives. Smile
2010-12-26 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Well, I did itSmile.  I put on some warm clothes and headed over to the HS track to do my workout.  One problem - the track was still snow-covered (parts of it anyway).  So I adjusted the plan and headed over to the soccer park where I sometimes do my runs.  The streets and parking lots there were clear so I did my run there.  After the first chilly mile, it actually felt good.  I think I was dressed just right - warm but not sweaty so I didn't start getting chilled until the end of the run.  I got in my 9 miles and it was definitely better than a TM run!  I don't mind the cold (it was about 29*), it's the ice and snow-covered ice that I have trouble running on.  I've never been accused of being graceful, lol, and don't really want to end up on my butt.  The weather here is actually supposed to warm up to the high 50's by Friday but along with that comes thunderstorms.  Crazy weather this year.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106