General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-03-09 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread

The Branson bike course does have killer hills.  I used to live in the area and there are some very good long or steep or long & steep hills on the course.  Some friends did it last year and just couldn't find comparable hills in Southern Illinios.  Both are better athletes than me, and they really struggled on the run.  The run course is super flat, but the hills on bike course sapped their legs.

I had planned on doing the Branson Half as my first HIM.  Unfortunately, I have a work project due every year about that time and cannot take the time off.

2011-03-09 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas

From what many have said, the weather seemed to play as big of a role in Branson last year as the hills. It was kind of an unusual heat wave that rolled in there in September.  Speaking of the hills, its good to know that at least the IMKS 70.3 is helping to dispell the myth in the World that all of Kansas is flat. I am in the Kansas City area on the Kansas side, and I wish for a 3 or 4 mile stretch of just flat road.  Plenty of hill training around here ... unless you are used to climbing the mountains outside of Boulder   I did learn that flat is not necessarily always better though. I did IMFL in November, and that was 6 hours of constant peddling, not very many chances to take advantage of downhill coasting.  Continued happy training everyone, I for one and am looking forward to daylight savings this weekend, more daylight hours = more opportunities to train outside. 

2011-03-09 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3389030

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

Debbie - 2011-03-08 4:42 PM Good luck pitbullzz. I actually think I read that in a triathlete magazine not too long ago that it was a toughy. Any plans for a full Ironman? Or have you already done one? Lisa, I've done a few runs outside in the cold. I actually don't mind it too bad and you are right....as long as you are wearing the right gear it's not too bad. I think your rain is heading our way.

I'm gonna give myself about 2 years of events and Halfs and see how it goes.  I was looking at a lot of the Full and they fill up quick.  If I feel good after Branson, I might volunteer at a Full in 2012 to make it easier to try and get a spot for one in 2013.  I have 28 events planned for this year and see if I can get them all done.  Of course some are just some 5Ks to get out and about early on a Sat with some more half-marathons, sprints and Dus mixed in.  I'm 3 for 3 so far and I have a trail run this Sat and another half marathon the sat after next, but we'll see how it all works out.  Uncle Sam and my Twins also throw a wrench in things sometimes, but that's expected.

2011-03-09 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3389672

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Gmax101098 - 2011-03-09 7:24 AM

The Branson bike course does have killer hills.  I used to live in the area and there are some very good long or steep or long & steep hills on the course.  Some friends did it last year and just couldn't find comparable hills in Southern Illinios.  Both are better athletes than me, and they really struggled on the run.  The run course is super flat, but the hills on bike course sapped their legs.

I had planned on doing the Branson Half as my first HIM.  Unfortunately, I have a work project due every year about that time and cannot take the time off.

Yeah, I did the Hotter N Hell 100  bike race in Texas last year, then I did the Big Dam Bridge 100 mile race here later.  I thought Texas was gonna be rough, but they had some hills here that just sapped me.  I still did pretty well, but sure didn't feel like running afterwards.  Ha

CJKelly - That's right, that heat and humidity can be a killer.  Nice that Ark has some pretty warm weather.  I usually do about (2) 50-60 mile rides here each week in the Summer (or whenever the weather cooperates).  I spent almost 6 years in Alaska before I moved here and my first Summer was killer getting used to the humidity. 

2011-03-09 8:51 AM

New user

Hutchinson, KS

Daylight savings time this weekend! Don't forget to set your clock ahead...sure, we lose an hour Saturday night, but it will be so nice to have the extra daylight to get running/cycling in after work (weather permitting).  College basketball games have made the 2 hr indoor rides on the trainer tolerable, but it still gets boring without the scenery. Looking forward to my first 3 hr outdoor ride.

Are my goggles too tight if my face is still embossed with goggle rings 2 hours after exiting the pool?

Wetsuit owners:  what is the coldest water temp you will tolerate in open water?

2011-03-09 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas

I looked like I was wearing eye shadow on one eye for about a week because I put on an old pair of goggles that had shrunk a bit, and left me with a partial black eye!  It was a good look for me.

If a race is wetsuit eligible, I put mine on.  I have a sleeveless and a full, and now would only wear the full if the temps are sub-70.  Anything above that, and I go with the sleeveless.

If you want to see a wild down hill bike race, check out the below link, or cut and paste into your url.  Crazy stuff, I would have died on at least 10 different occassions doing this. 

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/03/downhill-bike-race-in-chile-is-insanity-at-its-finest/?ncid=&a_dgi=aolshare_email

Edited by cjkelly0729 2011-03-09 1:23 PM

2011-03-09 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Oh my gosh!! That video is just not right. I think I held my breath thru the whole thing.

Since we can reserve campsites starting on Monday I have a quick question for those of you that have camped before. Which area do you recommend? I saw there are primitive, premium, etc. Anyone favor one area over another. I can't find a real good map of the campground so I'm sort of winging it. Any info I would appreciate. Keep up the hard work everyone.
2011-03-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3390516

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Debbie - 2011-03-09 2:05 PM Oh my gosh!! That video is just not right. I think I held my breath thru the whole thing. Since we can reserve campsites starting on Monday I have a quick question for those of you that have camped before. Which area do you recommend? I saw there are primitive, premium, etc. Anyone favor one area over another. I can't find a real good map of the campground so I'm sort of winging it. Any info I would appreciate. Keep up the hard work everyone.

The premium sites are really for those RV-camping as they provide water and electric hook ups. If you are tent camping, just the basic one is what you need.

2011-03-09 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Debbie - 2011-03-09 2:05 PM Since we can reserve campsites starting on Monday I have a quick question for those of you that have camped before. Which area do you recommend? I saw there are primitive, premium, etc. Anyone favor one area over another. I can't find a real good map of the campground so I'm sort of winging it. Any info I would appreciate. Keep up the hard work everyone.

Yeah, no real good map available and unfortunately I didn't save the electronic one from last year. We took a "primitive" spot last year and I think it worked out well for us since we were just setting up tents. I can't say with certainty for the whole campsite, but there were are a few primitive sites near us that were void of shade and trees. It got hot out there Saturday and Sunday afternoon and the shade made a world of difference. Maybe that'll be something we can request when making the reservation.

2011-03-09 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Debbie - 2011-03-09 2:05 PM Oh my gosh!! That video is just not right. I think I held my breath thru the whole thing. Since we can reserve campsites starting on Monday I have a quick question for those of you that have camped before. Which area do you recommend? I saw there are primitive, premium, etc. Anyone favor one area over another. I can't find a real good map of the campground so I'm sort of winging it. Any info I would appreciate. Keep up the hard work everyone.

I put a reminder on my Outlook calendar at work so I can call first thing Monday a.m.  I am hoping the Park staff can be helpful in selecting a spot.

2011-03-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3390384

New user

Hutchinson, KS

What will the water temp be when you do your first open water swim workout for the season with your full suit? Currently lake water temps in central Kansas are in the 40s. 

2011-03-10 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3391602

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Kansastriguy - 2011-03-10 8:56 AM

What will the water temp be when you do your first open water swim workout for the season with your full suit? Currently lake water temps in central Kansas are in the 40s. 

I hope to get out there in April.  I want the water in the 60's before I am going to get in.  I have a sleeveless wetsuit.

2011-03-14 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Have to admit, already not a fan of the new campsite registration process.  Busy signal going on for an hour and 45 minutes at this point.  Understand it is likely one poor guy in the ranger booth having to do this, feel sorry for him as well. Would gladly pay the Active.com surcharge at this point
2011-03-14 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3396689

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

cjkelly0729 - 2011-03-14 9:39 AM Have to admit, already not a fan of the new campsite registration process.  Busy signal going on for an hour and 45 minutes at this point.  Understand it is likely one poor guy in the ranger booth having to do this, feel sorry for him as well. Would gladly pay the Active.com surcharge at this point

I was afraid of that.  I am going to try to call in during my lunch hour.

2011-03-14 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Glad to see the info about Branson - I was trying to decide about that one. I am starting off my tri season with LoneStar in Galveston April 10, and then Kansas. Likely will do Redman full aquabike to get that timing down before going into IMFL.

You are right about the Hotter N Hell ride - it is fairly flat. I did it two years ago, before I got into the tri world. But it was a sweet trip, getting into one of the pelotons... we screamed for the first 60 miles (to Hells Gate) at a 20+ average, no stops.

I did the Triple Bypass ride in Colorado last year (figured there aren't too many triple bypass survivors completing the TB ride, and I put it on my bucket list while in recovery from surgery). Pretty awesome hill climbing there! Tahoe is a great ride with some climbs as well.

The water here is in the 60s, and I am starting to see a number of wetsuits out now. There is a small lake near me which will see this elephant-in-seal-skin this weekend.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you in KS.

Keep the rubber on the pavement, and happy training!

2011-03-14 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Indiana
I don't know how, but I got in after an hour of non-stop calling. My poor redial button. The lady was very friendly. She took my info quick, gave me my campsite and transferred me to another lady who took my payment so the other lady could take another call. I say I was on the phone less than 3 minutes with both ladies. Campsite #22. Good luck to you all.

2011-03-14 11:02 AM

User image

Shawnee
cjkelly0729 and I just got our spot. Spot #233 on the run course. It took awhile but finally got through!
2011-03-14 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Glad you guys got your spots. I'm looking forward to getting the email that shows our location. She said it was very shaded and on the run course too. Hope so. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
2011-03-14 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Once everyone has their camping spots and race numbers we will have to make a list so everyone knows where the "BT friendly" sites are
2011-03-14 4:05 PM

User image

I'm glad I just happened to check back with this forum today. Campsite reserved, training-hijacking travel is over and one month until my first major event of the season (Go! St. Louis half-marathon). Injuries are healed and I'm able to complete my workouts with the appropriate amount of pain. Bring on Kansas! 

2011-03-14 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3396754

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
triplebypat - 2011-03-14 10:07 AM

Glad to see the info about Branson - I was trying to decide about that one. I am starting off my tri season with LoneStar in Galveston April 10, and then Kansas. Likely will do Redman full aquabike to get that timing down before going into IMFL.

You are right about the Hotter N Hell ride - it is fairly flat. I did it two years ago, before I got into the tri world. But it was a sweet trip, getting into one of the pelotons... we screamed for the first 60 miles (to Hells Gate) at a 20+ average, no stops.

I did the Triple Bypass ride in Colorado last year (figured there aren't too many triple bypass survivors completing the TB ride, and I put it on my bucket list while in recovery from surgery). Pretty awesome hill climbing there! Tahoe is a great ride with some climbs as well.

The water here is in the 60s, and I am starting to see a number of wetsuits out now. There is a small lake near me which will see this elephant-in-seal-skin this weekend.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you in KS.

Keep the rubber on the pavement, and happy training!

Right On!  Yeah Hotter N Hell was a blast.  That was us as well.  We didn't stop til mile 60 and I think we had a 24.5mph the first hour.  I can't remeber how many people we passed.  Only part of the race I felt like a stud...then after mile 60, the feet started hurting.  Ha.

I was amazed at how full some of the rest stops were at the beginning due to all the people we passed, but I guess 1,000's just get on the road and ride without paying and still use all the services.

2011-03-15 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Just made my camp reservation.  Staying Saturday and Sunday at site 21. 

Every little step makes race day seem a little closer.

Just ordered my first trisuit.  I should be receiving it end of the week. 

I will be taking the bike in for an overhaul soon.

Come on Spring time!!Cool

2011-03-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3398346

New user

Hutchinson, KS

Congrats on the first trisuit purchase, Gmax.  May I ask where you went to purchase it? Website?

Also, thanks for the answer on water temps for early season open water training.  We're supposed to have record-breaking heat here in Central Kansas on Thursday (85 forecasted), but the water temps will still be in the upper 40s, maybe lower 50s after the hot day.

2011-03-15 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3398670

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Kansastriguy - 2011-03-15 11:34 AM

Congrats on the first trisuit purchase, Gmax.  May I ask where you went to purchase it? Website?

Also, thanks for the answer on water temps for early season open water training.  We're supposed to have record-breaking heat here in Central Kansas on Thursday (85 forecasted), but the water temps will still be in the upper 40s, maybe lower 50s after the hot day.

I actually purchased from H a n n u l i n k via their e-bay.  They operate out of Oceanside, CA, but have online sales and some e-bay auction items.  They have their own line of clothing.  It was only $50 for a trisuit, normally priced at over $100.  We shall see how good the quality is.  Their e-bay rating is very high for service and product quality.

it keeps removing the vendor's name?

Edited by Gmax101098 2011-03-15 3:28 PM
2011-03-15 5:11 PM

User image

newburgh
ditto on the tri suit.  first singlet so I better start losing weight
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20