General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-08-03 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3297555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread

to skitri - I'm right there with you - first HIM and I want it to hurry up and get here, I'm as ready as I'll ever be,  I just heard an expression: "The Hay is In the Barn" - meaning you can bale hay all year and store it in the barn.  Then the first snow falls and covers the hay that's left in the field.  At that point the hay that is in the barn, will somehow get you through the winter, and the hay under the snow is not going to make any difference.  We've trained all summer (filled the barn), now it's taper time (the first snow) any training between now and the race is just to keep things loose and moving, to keep us feeling like we are ready.

AT least at my entry skill level

2011-08-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3628006

User image

Unfortunatly the traffic is pretty tough race morning. I think 4am is bit on the early side, but not that crazy. I plan on leaving my house at 315am and I live an hour away. Seeing that it is your first HIM, its better to get there early and not have deal with any extra anxiety.

2011-08-05 12:57 PM

User image

Pittsburgh

Thanks for the "heads up" on the swim waves.  I am in wave 6.  The HIM I did in Austin last year I was used as a flotation device for the faster men's waves.  But this time look out...I am not going to be pushed around so easily!  LOL  I am so glad that this race is nearing.  I am excited.  I did an olympic distance tri last week.  Bike was good (pretty hilly course and avg. 20.6mph), my swim was about 4 minutes slower than my average 34 minutes, hummm not sure what happened there, I was not even aware when I started that there was a floater down river being fished out...no he was not related to the race.  I knew the run would be a struggle as I have a 2nd degree calf strain that is healing.  All in all, I still did okay and just had fun.  Caught a wicked sinus infection this week and feel like I got hit with my 3's and am ready to go.  Good luck to everyone who is racing.  

-D.J. 

2011-08-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3626391

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
keepitup - 2011-08-02 9:10 PM

Does anyone know how choppy the swim is?  I shouldn't have a problem as I swim in Lake Ontario but last weekend at KTown Tri I wasn't liking the waves and that was only 750m!

It depends on the conditions. I swam it one year and it felt like I was swimming in the ocean. The following year it was pretty flat. Good luck!
2011-08-07 10:44 PM

User image

New user
What are the likely air temperatures? I wilted on a brick today in 105 heat index. Given those conditions on race day I would certainly be a DNF, or at best a walk to the finish line.
2011-08-08 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Less than two weeks left now!  Last weekend of heavy duty training...the work is done.  Now maintenance until race day!

How is everyone doing??    

2011-08-08 10:20 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Taper on...Sat. was 1100 yd ocean swim, then 10.5 mile run at HM pace, Sun. was 60.5 mile ride with 20 min. brick run, all at approx. race pace.  I've got a nagging abdominal issue (sports hernia, probably) that has been hanging around since late January, but it doesn't prevent swim/bike/run, so not going to deal with it until the off season...otherwise, all systems are 'go.'

Shipping my tri bike and my wife's (only) bike out to NH tomorrow afternoon.  Yikes...

2011-08-10 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Again...asking all those who have race before.  The one thing I've heard is it's a great race but the logistics are awful.  I'm kinda noticing that with the schedule of events.

How far is Gunstock Resort from Ellacoya Park? Doesn't look that far, but... How do I drop my bike off and then go to Gunstock for mandatory meetings, etc...?  I was planning on riding my bike to transition since we're only staying 3 miles away and I have a sinking feeling parking at Ellacoya is going to be BAD that day.  Wouldn't mind hearing Tim Snow presentation for first timers but that starts the same time Bike Check-in opens and I just like getting my checked-in as quickly as possible...for some reason as soon as I check my bike, my anxiety fades and I can enjoy the day.

Just don't want to be riding back and forth too much.

2011-08-10 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3637181

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
skitri - 2011-08-10 8:23 AM

Again...asking all those who have race before.  The one thing I've heard is it's a great race but the logistics are awful.  I'm kinda noticing that with the schedule of events.

How far is Gunstock Resort from Ellacoya Park? Doesn't look that far, but... How do I drop my bike off and then go to Gunstock for mandatory meetings, etc...?  I was planning on riding my bike to transition since we're only staying 3 miles away and I have a sinking feeling parking at Ellacoya is going to be BAD that day.  Wouldn't mind hearing Tim Snow presentation for first timers but that starts the same time Bike Check-in opens and I just like getting my checked-in as quickly as possible...for some reason as soon as I check my bike, my anxiety fades and I can enjoy the day.

Just don't want to be riding back and forth too much.

I really like the race, but the logistics are a bit much for me. The resort and the park are very close...5 minutes by car. I generally arrive at the resort around 2. It tends to be rather crowded. I get squared away and then head over to the park. I have stayed for the meeting in the past, but it just seems to complicate things. Once at the park, it is pretty easy to check in and get the lay of the land. This is the good news. Race morning is not fun at all in my opinion. You need to get there early, and even then you are in quite a line of traffic. If you arrive early, you will get to park in the park or close by. I like this so that when I finish, I can collect my toys and make it towards the exit. It is just slow getting in and often slow getting out. Again, the race is generally well done. The logistics...not so much. If you have any other specific questions, fire away.
2011-08-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3637181

You will need to check in and pick up race packet at Gunstock before you check in your bike at the transition area. They will ask that you show your wrist band and have a race number on your bike. Last year I got a lift to Gunstock race morning and shuttled down to start. I also stayed close by 6 miles) and road my bike to the hotel after and avoided the craziness of the shuttle and bike truck line for a return to Gunstock. I suggest getting dropped off at the start around 5:30am. 

2011-08-11 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Does the shuttle system actually work or does it get stuck in the traffic just as much (this is what has been told to me).  I am still not sure what time I should be up and heading down race morning.  I am staying about 20 mins away. 
Any suggestions for spectators? Are they able to get in to the race site after the race starts or do they need to be in at 4am too??

2011-08-11 10:36 AM

New user

Can spectators use the shuttle?
2011-08-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3639189

keepitup - 2011-08-11 10:26 AM Does the shuttle system actually work or does it get stuck in the traffic just as much (this is what has been told to me).  I am still not sure what time I should be up and heading down race morning.  I am staying about 20 mins away. 
Any suggestions for spectators? Are they able to get in to the race site after the race starts or do they need to be in at 4am too??

The morning shuttle runs had no traffic issues. The shuttle back after the race is a nighmare.

2011-08-11 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
I will tell you what we did last year...I will be up there with husband and our 2 kids. We stay about 20 minutes away. We rent a second car up there on Saturday so that I can drive to the race site earlyand he can sleep a little later with the kids. He will plan it so that he gets to gunstock to catch the shuttle to ellacoya by the time I am almost done with the swim. Like others have said the shuttle back after the race was a nightmare so since I have the other car right there I drive them back to gunstock to get the rental. The other plus was having my car at the race site allowed for him to take the kids n the car when the weather got bad last year. For us it is worth the 60 bucks to rent the car for a couple day since we we have the two kids in tow. If it was just my husband he would probably just come with me.Anyone else obsessing over the weather yet? I keep looking at the extended forcast. I am hoping for nice weather for the race and for the days following since we will be vacationing there.
2011-08-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3639349

I like the rental approach for all of the benefits mention. I have a similar approach a friend of mine will also be competing and staying in the same hotel. We will take one our our cars to Ellacoya early and leave the other for both families to take to the finish.

2011-08-11 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
We should make our own BT shuttle!

2011-08-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3639349

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

elbi999 - 2011-08-11 9:28 AM I keep looking at the extended forcast. I am hoping for nice weather for the race and for the days following since we will be vacationing there.

So far, looking like rain for all five days my wife and I will be in New England (we'll be with family in Portland on Monday-Tuesday).

2011-08-11 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

much too early to worry about the weather.  It changes so fast.  I'm in northern CT and Mon-Wed were suppose to be oppressively humid with thunderstorms and rain and it only rained lightly on Tuesday...rest of the time beautiful sunshine.  Don't get too caught up in what you can't control.  Twice i've gone to bed with the report of the beautiful day forecasted for my race the following morning only to wake to monsoon season!!

2011-08-12 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3639969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
tcovert - 2011-08-11 4:19 PM

elbi999 - 2011-08-11 9:28 AM I keep looking at the extended forcast. I am hoping for nice weather for the race and for the days following since we will be vacationing there.

So far, looking like rain for all five days my wife and I will be in New England (we'll be with family in Portland on Monday-Tuesday).

I know.  Bummer!  I am hoping that the forecast changes.  Last year it rained for the race and our little vacation afterwards was a wash as well.  This year we are staying up there until Wednesday morning.  

2011-08-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3626874

Where did you find the info on what wave you'd be it?

2011-08-12 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3640790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
balden3 - 2011-08-12 9:51 AM

Where did you find the info on what wave you'd be it?

Under the Course tab on the main page you will find "swim waves" at the top.  

2011-08-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3640193

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
skitri - 2011-08-11 8:36 PM

much too early to worry about the weather.  It changes so fast.  I'm in northern CT and Mon-Wed were suppose to be oppressively humid with thunderstorms and rain and it only rained lightly on Tuesday...rest of the time beautiful sunshine.  Don't get too caught up in what you can't control.  Twice i've gone to bed with the report of the beautiful day forecasted for my race the following morning only to wake to monsoon season!!

I know that folks are expressing a lot of concerns over the logistics and the weather, but it is what it is. The weather will change 6 times between now and next week. Hope for the best and deal with it. The logistics are not going to change. This race is a classic hurry up and wait. Just to give folks an idea of how things work, I will share my situation. I stay in Concord and like to be up and moving by 4'ish. If I am lucky, I will find a coffee along the way to the race. It is about a 20 minute ride for me and then I am stuck in traffic with the rest of you waiting to get into the park. Getting into the park for me is key. I say this because if I am in the park that means I am there by 4:45, which means I am body marked, bike checked, nutrition ready and how the wait begins and it is only 5:30. It only takes so long to get everything ready. At this point, I literally take a walk around to stretch my legs and then head back towards my vehicle. The race does not start until 7, and if you are really, really lucky, your wave will go out by 7:30. I think I go out at 7:45. This means I will be waiting 2 hours and 15 minutes before I get to start my day.

The good news is that you can access the swim start from the parking area. I go back to my vehicle, have a snack, take inventory of my swim stuff, drink my coffee and chill for a while. Just before 7, I put on my wetsuit and grab my swim stuff and walk to the beach for the official start of the race, and yes, this is where I wait somemore, but at least there are folks to chat with. Once the race starts, it is all good though. On the back end, it is problematic no matter how you exit the race. If you are in the park, you might not be able to get right out even if you are slow like me. There are still racers on the course and they will not let vehicles out at certain times. Then depending on which way you are traveling, you could hit some more traffic. The shuttle will get you there but it is not any more efficient.

Bottom line, forget about the weather and just deal with it. As for the rest, be patient and enjoy the race. It is a nice venue and a great race!
2011-08-12 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can't believe you can still register.  I think I might be signing up!  I was going to do Pumpkinman in September but this might give me more time to recover for my IM.
2011-08-12 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
gatjr33 that is very helpful information. Just realized that we are staying in Concord. My husband booked it on points and I thought it was closer than it is.
2011-08-13 8:52 AM

User image

New user
I try not to be overly concerned about things I cannot control, like the weather. Besides, 10 day forecasts are pretty useless.

Personally, if it rains, so be it. It will just add to the challenge. I have done a local tri here in Norfolk during a tropical storm a few years back. I would prefer that to a 105 heat index.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8