BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-04-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

I also got the Tempo Trainer today.  Went to the pool for a little while to try it out.  It's not loud enough to annoy people at all.  But it is loud enough for you to hear yourself when it is attached to your goggles.  Put it on around 33 stroke cycles per minute and could keep up with it while still maintaining 18-20 SPL.  My 100 time dropped from around 2:36 to 2:22 by doing this.  Not sure I could keep up that pace for 30 minutes, but we will find out next week.

2011-04-22 10:33 PM

User image

Colorado

Congrats CKslowpoke!

2011-04-23 5:02 AM
in reply to: #3461783

User image

New user

Lubbock

Yeah, congratulations slowpoke! You're def my inspiration right now because I am super anxious and nervous about doing my first one.

So...the main obstacle I've been dreading is buying a street bike. What I'm hearing, though, is that I can go ahead and use a mountain bike but just that you recommmend getting smooth tires. Awesome! I'm still reeling from the recession and don't have tons of spare money so taht helps a lot.

Thank you so muchCarol for the advice on the youtube videos. I swam this morning, watched them and then swam again tonight and made a huge leap in improvement. No breaks-swam the entire 20 minutes and actually swam a little farther than what the swim portion of what my race will be. So now I know I can finish this thing right now! Now it's time to train to win it! Or at least do well 

2011-04-23 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Thanks for the encouragement! You are all an inspiration for me - I've been really enjoying all the posts here even if I don't have time to respond. Haven't been in any kind of race setting in a very long time - so I was glad it gave me a chance to see my own reaction - the 425m is fine when it's just me and I'm focused - but in the race setting I was way tenser than I thougt I'd be.Anyhow - back to the gym to swim this AM!Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend! Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!
2011-04-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3462042

User image

Veteran
Way to go CKslowpoke! I agree that just doing the race and finishing it is awesome.
2011-04-23 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Way to go Ceril!  You did great, and learned lots...that's the way to do it

Nate, VERY happy your swim went better.

Windy bike ride this morning, with no falls, yay!  Darn, I'm missing my one chance to keep up w/ Steve on a run!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Edited by squirt 2011-04-23 11:05 AM

2011-04-23 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Grats for hanging tough and finishing your race!  Races are tough, expecially settling in on the swim.  Many folks swim a bit to get into a rythm, used to the water temp and get the arms moving.  Always remember finishing is way better than not and showing up is way better than sitting on the couch.  It sounds like it was definately an adventure.

I agree that, from looking at your logs running more days and biking more days per week will definately help you on those portions of the race.  Most people do not really improve much on 2 short bike and 2 short runs per week.  Getting in 3 of each will help a great deal even if one is short. 

You are really swim focused at the moment and that tends to make me the most tired.  Swim should come along nicely.  I would recommend doing at least 1 brick (bike and then run right away) so you can get used to the feel of running off the bike.  It will feel wierd for the first mile, but then you should be able to settle into your normal rythm.   

Did you have anything to eat before your race or during?  Not sleeping well before a race is actualy more common than you would think.  Anxiety about race performance while sleeping in a strange bed or tent can lead to problems falling to sleep.

It all gets better!  Outdoor triathlons are more fun because the crowds will be cheering you on.

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-23 11:35 AM
2011-04-23 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Alright pop Quiz!

1) What is body glide and how do you use it?

2) What are the most common things to forget to take to your first triathlon?

3) How fast can you change a tire and do you always carry spare tubes and a pump with you on rides and races?

4) What do you do if you get a  blister?

5) At around 75 F how much water do you need per hour on the run?

6) How many calories do you need to consume during a sprint, oly, HIM?

7) How many calories do you need to take after a 30 min, 60 min, 90 min or 2 hour workout for recovery?

K thats enough for now. Time to go swim... I am bad at swimming and nursing my shoulder hopefully I get in 2500 yards. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-23 11:41 AM
2011-04-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3462250

User image

Veteran

I am answering these questions from memory so I will see how well I remember Smile

You use it to prevent chafing in sensitive areas for biking and running, i.e. thighs, under arms, etc.

I really do not know.

3) How fast can you change a tire and do you always carry spare tubes and a pump with you on rides and races?

My understanding is that I should carry spares and pump when I am on a ride or in a race. I am not a fast tire changer, yet.

I would suggest pop it, drain it and cover it. However, that may not be possible when running in a race because I wouldn't have all the supplies. That is what I do when I backpacking.

8 oz?

For a sprint it will depend on how long it takes me, but I think around 100 calories. For an oly probably 300-500 and for HIM 1,000-2,000.

7) How many calories do you need to take after a 30 min, 60 min, 90 min or 2 hour workout for recovery?

I don't know. I will look forward to hearing what others are saying.
2011-04-23 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
There was a comment somehwere about dumping too much water on your head for temperature regulation on hot races.  I have done a full marathon in the rain and I have done a HIM where it rained he entire time.  I didn't get any blisters, though the shoes were soggy.  I would be much more concerned about keeping my body temp in a compfortable range than my shoes being a little squishy or of getting a blister.  Hiking is a bit different in that you might be out hiking for days or weeks and soggy feet over that long a period of time is bad.  Soggy feet for 4 hours not too bad.  And you can get them dry after you are done ahhh. 
2011-04-23 2:45 PM

User image

Its a stick, almost like a deodorant stick, that you use to prevent chaffing

well, my first tri it rained all day, and i found i was really wishing i had brought another pair of shoes that would have been dry for afterward.

I can do it in about three minutes, and always have a pump, tubes, and levers

In training I drain it, use some moleskin around it, and tape it

about 16 oz or so?

I honestly dont know

I usually try to get somewhere between 250 - 500 calories after a longer workout

2011-04-23 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Having a set of dry clothes, towel, socks shoes, and a warmish waterproof jacket is really good to remember for post race.  If you know it is going to be raining sometimes folks put their run shoes inside a trashback so they are at least dry when you put them on even if they will be soaked in 5 minutes anyway. 

2600 yard swim down, 1  mile wak, 3 mile jog down .. how are those long weekend training workouts going?

2011-04-23 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3462250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

1) What is body glide and how do you use it?  A lubricant in stick or powder-lotion form to prevent blisters and chafing.  Put it between thighs, on feet, nipples, and anywhere else where rubbing is an issue

2) What are the most common things to forget to take to your first triathlon?  Swim goggles, perhaps patch kit and co2 for bike, bodyglide

3) How fast can you change a tire and do you always carry spare tubes and a pump with you on rides and races?  I have yet to practice changing tubes or patching them.  Got my kit today.  Going to a bike maintenance class next Saturday if possible.

4) What do you do if you get a  blister?  I cover with a blister bandage.  If too large, I lance it with a sterile needle.

5) At around 75 F how much water do you need per hour on the run?  16 ounces

6) How many calories do you need to consume during a sprint, oly, HIM?  S-1000, O-2000, HIM-4000

7) How many calories do you need to take after a 30 min, 60 min, 90 min or 2 hour workout for recovery?  As much as you have used.

2011-04-23 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Congrats Slowpoke.  We will not be able to call you that much longer.  Great job. 
2011-04-24 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Happy Easter everyone!
2011-04-24 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

1) What is body glide and how do you use it? You all got this right, body glide helps prevent typically clothing rubbing on skin in areas taht will result in irritation or blistering. 

2) What are the most common things to forget to take to your first triathlon? Large list here but, front tire, tire pump, swim gogles, bike shoes, running shoes, running socks, race belt, sun tan lotion, nutrition, water battles, sun glasses, extra tubes, co2, so anything but having a tire pump is a good idea.  Also, if your race starts at 6am and it will be dark when you are setting up your transition area, a flashlight will be helpful.   

3) How fast can you change a tire and do you always carry spare tubes and a pump with you on rides and races? It is good to practice changing a tire before you need to do so in a race and make sure you have the tools with you in a race.  For a mountain bike you will actually need a C wrench of the correct size to get your tires off as well as tire levers a spare tube and a small portable pump or co2 inflators.

4) What do you do if you get a  blister? I use a steril pin to pierce and drain a blister.  If it is really bad and refills faster than within a couple hours you may actaully need to cut a small hole in it with nail clippers so it will drain properly.  During a race you typically just suck it up and get the race done.  If things are really bad you can stop by and get help from medical who will probably pop it and bandage the area. 

5) At around 75 F how much water do you need per hour on the run? People will varry but anywhere from none to 16 oz.  For me 16 would be way too much.  It also depends on how many hours you are going to be out there.  So for the first hour I would need none, but if I am going to be out longer than an hour I would need to backfill and typically take in around 2-3 oz per 15 minutes for a 3 hour run or 8 -10 ish oz per hour.  The longer you are out there the more it will matter.  At Boston I did 2-3 oz every 3-4 mile (50F) and woudl have done 2-3 ounces nearly every mile if it were 90F out.  (I would probably go 2 miles, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, etc.  16 oz would make me sloshy and side camp me up.

6) How many calories do you need to consume during a sprint, oly, HIM? For me Sprint 100, Oly 200, HIM 1400-1600, IM 3000 ish.  How fast or slow you are impacts this.  100 cal gel 15 min before race, 300 cal per hour on the bike, 200 cal per hour on the run for races longer than  2:30. 

7) How many calories do you need to take after a 30 min, 60 min, 90 min or 2 hour workout for recovery? 30=non3, 60=none, 90=none, 2 hours, maybe 100, a long workout say 4-5 hours probably 200-300 calories.  Most folks overdo it here and it is the primary reason they do not lose those pounds they want to lose. 

These things may varry by person, so you have to experiment some, consider this average and then decide for  yourself if you are higher or lower than this with your own training.  This is less important for shorter races, reallly importonat for Full mary/HIM or longer races.

2011-04-24 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3456449

User image

Sacramento, CA
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Open for seating 4 tables left.
Baowolf - 2011-04-20 8:10 AM

Welcome to the group Nate.  That makes 13, 2 more ish and I will close the group so we can get down to business. 

Thanks Kate.  Someone made me laugh lastnight and my sides hurt soo bad, so ya the side aches were totally the shivering and not your typical side ache from too much water, eating the wrong food or other random breathing running issues.  Same with the outter thigh issue totally a muscle group I have never gotten abused in a race.  Still stiff today, may hit an easy bike ride tonight on the trainer.   

I still haven't heard from some folks about their hardest physical effort ever...taps foot expectantly. 

For those who have answered that question, your goal outside of your training is to 1) think of a question you have about triathlon and post it, like was does BOP mean, what is a Brick, what on earth is a reverse tri, where to I line up to start my first 5k, what is GU, how do you use a heart rate monitor whatever,  and 2) inspire one of other person in this group for what they have been doing workout wise or on what they are going through in RL that makes working out harder, weight loss, anything. 

Ok...sorry for the absenteeism...I've been spring break camping with the kids for the week!

Congrats on the Boston Mary...you finished and that rocks!  Next time I bet you will nail it.  I can't even fathom running 26.2 miles in cold A** weather!

The question about my hardest physical effort is really a tough question.  Two years ago I had my first session with a strength trainer/coach in a women with weights program after having done nothing for several (10) years.  The workout was called "fight gone bad" and it was 1 hour of High intensity interval weight lifting and cardio endurance.  Hadn't been in the gym in a long time and I suffered every moment of the hour but I made it through and even though I felt like puking I was proud of myself.  I did it.  I survived.

Ok...I like to inspire  so Look Out Group!

Here is my stupid newbie question...why do I need a wetsuit and is there a comfortable one for women.  What should I buy?   The last time I tried to put on a wetsuit (for diving) I felt like a stuffed sausage! Do you wear booties or swim shoes for the swim?

2011-04-24 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3459928

User image

Sacramento, CA
Baowolf - 2011-04-21 6:46 PM

Hrm where to start.  Well my race report is up if anyone wants to read it. 

If you have a functional bike, just use it for your first tri.  I have seen people do a Half Ironman on a mountain bike.  You don't realy want to waste too much money on a basic bike because if you decide to get a road bike or a tri bike you will be out $700 to $1700 for an entry level race bike.  So use what you have until you get a little farther into the sport, unless you have lots of money and enjoy buying new toys.  If you buy a race bike then go clipless (which means clip in) pedals. 

Typically one does not "make up" missed workouts.  That is not to say that we don't make decisions as to drop one workout for another if we missed a key workout for the week.  If you miss a 15 mile run you don't want to do 2 in one week, but if you can sneak it in 1 day late in place of a 3 mile recovery run you might do that.  What you don't want to do is build up too may workouts too close in time so that you build up too much fatigue and your workouts suffer. 

For those using HR for training, did you set up your heart rate zones poperly 1 for the bike, 1 for the run based on a Time Trial test?

Hrm what am I missing....   99.9% of triathletes swim freestyle.  Breastroke is frowned appon because you kick people in the face a lot and they don't care for that much.  It also tends to be slower, works you legs too much and uses more energy. 

It is common when starting out to go too hard too soon making your HR go too high.  You really need to start off slow and build that base or you risk injury.  This isn't to say that you can't do harder efforts, but not speedwork until you have a good base in place. 

I am not saying that you can't do weightlifting.  However, if you do a lot of leg work with your workout and then go ride a bike for 40 miles and then go run 10 miles... you can be hitting the same muscle groups too often.  The best strength training to do is focusing on your core as it is needed in all 3 sports.  So if you love lifting, then do some lifting, but be aware of what other workouts you are doing and stager things to allow for rest.  Just like you woulden't do benchpress 5 days a week, you would do upper body one day, legs the next and alternate if you waned to lift 5 days a week.  Your body needs some time to rest.   

Can you explain how to set up different heart rates for Bike, run, swim?  I just used the zones listed in the Timex Ironman Watch Manual

2011-04-24 11:05 PM

User image

Colorado

A wetsuit helps keep you warm and apparently also helps you be more buoyant, though apparently they're not necessary if the water temp is 78 degrees or so.  My first tri has a pool swim so I won't need one.

Weekend workout:  had planned a 10M long run, but it ended up being 11 after accidentally taking a wrong turn down a canal trail.  Or rather, there are two canals that run parallel in one stretch, and thus two parallel canal trails/service roads — but one of them stops at the point where the canals converge.  Guess which one I picked?  Yep, so I backtracked for half a mile and then got on the right one.

The good news is that having done an unplanned ride on Friday (see training log for story about my 1-year-old throwing her handknit hat out of the jogger, unbeknownst to me), and two longer-than-planned runs on Friday and Saturday, I'm at 20.5 of a planned 21 running miles for the week and am calling it good. 

Here's to hoping that this coming week runs more smoothly. 

Edited by realrellim 2011-04-24 11:15 PM
2011-04-25 1:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Thanks.

Sorry no stupid questions here.  A wetsuit keeps you warm and provides floatation.  There are a variety of brands 2XU, Zoot, the one on the BT home page etc.  Tri/swim wetsuits are waaaay more flexiable than diving suits.  You will initially feel pretty tight in them until they get wet. It may take you 10 minutes to get one on dry.  Yes they come for men and women.  If it is a short swim or if the water is relatively warm 65+, you are fine without one.  If the swim is cold sub 60 and long 1 mile + you probably want one to keep warm.  There is an advantage to speed due to the floatation and I doubt you could drown in a full wetsuit because of the boyance if you were concious.  They make you feel like a sea otter in the water. 

Everyone's heart rate is different.  Your HR for swim, bike and run will be different.  You need to do a test to determine your LT.  (lactate threshould).  So you warmup for 10 minutes, then go as hard as you can sustain bike/run, etc. for 30 minutes and then take the average of the last 20 minutes of the 30 minutes.  That is your LT.  You can then use the calculator on BT here to get your HR zones.  My LT for run is 175, making 175 =z5.  z1 is like anything below 148, z2 is 149 to 158, z3 is 159 to 165, z 4 is 166 to 174... or something very close to that.  So my long runs are z2, my speedwork gets up to z5/z5a.  Marathon pace is 165. 5k pace is 175.  1 mile pace is 177 to 180 followed by a collapse to the ground 8). 

If an of that doesnt make sense let me know.

Oh one more thing prior to a long run/tri or using a wetsuit.... cut your tonails and fingernails.  Long fingernails rip wetsuits and long tonials give you black tonails on long runs (like 20).  The nail hits the front of the shoe resulting in bruising the area under the toenail, often on the toe next to the big toe if it is longer. 

2011-04-25 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Good morning all,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. 

My training plans for this week. 

M - Swim - 500m /Run - 5.3 miles

T - Bike - 8.5 miles

W - Swim - 500m / Run 3.2 miles

Th - Bike - 6.4 mi

Fri - Swim - 500m / Run 4.0 miles

Sat - Sprint Tri - 300m Pool Swim /14 mile Bike / 5 k Run

Edited by kmatt318 2011-04-25 10:01 AM

2011-04-25 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Well I was absent for the pop quiz, so I fail! No make-ups.  Actually, I wanted to add about Body Glide to put it on the inside of your shoes, the heal part, they will slip on more easily in the transition. For most important thing to take, I think coach covered it, but again, I've been thinking I'll take an extra contact as I am fearful it may come out during the swim.  Never has in training, but with my luck...

And now for my 4 mile race this past weekend. Some of you have been kind to ask how it went.  Well my 16 year old daughter and I had a pretty good pace for me, 8:45 min. Then at 1.75 miles she bonked.  She said she was about to pass out.  So I forgot about the race and great time I would get and concentrated on jogging/walking with my daughter so she would at least finish.  Come to find out she didn't eat a dinner before she went on her date the night before.  Teenagers! Anyway she leared a good lesson about fueling the body, and she and I had a nice walk/jog/talk.  All is good.

Two weeks out now from my first Tri, getting a little nervous...Coach, when I read your comment about the rain, I thought they would cancel a race if it rained.  I can't imagine biking on those skinny tires and being safe.  Are you saying they don't cancel?? Fear has now set in. -Karen

2011-04-25 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Karen, I'm with you on being afraid of riding in the rain.  Love to run in the rain though!

OK, so my next tri (5/15) has an 800 yd open water swim, wetsuit and all.  I would have skipped the wetsuit, but saw pics online from the same race last year, and looked like almost everyone had one.  So I bought a sleeveless model, have tried it on, and it seems OK.  Cheri, I'm with you on the stuffed sausage feeling!  I am signed up for an open water swim clinic this week.  Hopefully will learn lots and be glad to share afterwards if anyone else is interested.  Does anyone have any tips or things that I should make sure to come away with from the clinic?  On the body glide topic....would that would be good to use with the wetsuit?  If so, where do you apply it to make the wetsuit on/off thing the easiest?

MTA: Also trying to figure out what to wear under the wetsuit.  I have some tri shorts on the way and a tank top that is sort of like a tri top but really made for running...assuming I could wear that? 

Edited by squirt 2011-04-25 10:57 AM
2011-04-25 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I'm extremely interested in the OWS clinic information. 

Local races might cancel due to rain, but I know some of the Ironman races have continued in the rain. 

Speaking of rain, I was ran out of the pool this morning at the gym due to lightning, then again at lunch due to tornado sirenes.  Mother Nature didn't want me to get that swim workout done I guess.

2011-04-25 4:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

40 mile bike, 3000 yard swim out of the way for today's workouts.

If you use bodyglide on your ankles it helps you get your wetsuit and off, some on your neck to prevent/reduce chaffing from the wetsuit. 

Boisie 70.3 rained for nearly the whole race (didnt rain during the swim).  It hailed on some people, but the race wasn't called.  With wet roads be very very careful of paint, treat it like ice, slow down early your breaks will not be as effective and don't lean too much on the corners.  If the road is mostly straight the rain won't affect you much. 

Glind insde of heal on shoe is a good idea yes and elastic laces so you can slip into them without tying. 

You pretty much wear your tri outfit under your wetsuit. 

For guys it is really hard to put on a tri top when you are wet. I tried to do that in my first Oly...

Also be careful of timing chips and watches when taking off a wetsuit, they can wrap over the first layer and under the 2nd layer trapping your ankle or wrist nicely.

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-25 4:52 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61