BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-04-27 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3469902

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - OPEN

Ryan, hopefully it works out with your entrance and they are able to charge the right credit card.  I understand being stressed about it.  I would be too.

Darren, nice job on the run.  I enjoy running with people that push my pace some of the time.  Often you realize you are capable of more then you knew because you worked harder to keep up.  I will probably never do it, but I totally admire barefoot runners.

As for me, the run is done.  It wasn't actually that hard.  I was dressed and ready to go by the time my husband got home, so I just headed out the door.  It was seriously windy out there.  I thought I'd lose my hat a few times.  While I was running, I was thinking that running isn't as hard as it used to be.  Sometimes, it's downright easy.  Perhaps, it's a sign that I should push a little harder.  I think I will start wearing my heart rate monitor again sometimes to see how it compares to when I started running with my garmin.

As for beating myself up about postponing the run, no worries about that.  Just reflecting on how I feel about it so that I'll consider that aspect next time.

2011-04-27 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3469305

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

juniperjen - 2011-04-27 12:41 PM Dave! We're doing the same race!  Your lead up tri's should get you ready for Muskoka! It's a big goal but totally achievable. 

It is a big goal but I am a sucker for punishment and am extremely goal oriented.

I found this tonight; http://www.bikemuskoka.ca/spin-the-lakes.htmlThe 110km route pretty much follows the Muskoka 70.3 route so I think it would be a great training ride. If I can make it fit the schedule I might ride the route once per month just so I can get a feel for the hills.

2011-04-28 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Today should be fun. After teaching this morning I am picking up my bike from the LBS after they put on a set of Zipp 808's. Unfortunately they are not mine to keep. The LBS sponsors me, they hook me up for some bigger races. I'll get in a 6 mile spin as soon as afternoon practices are over.
2011-04-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3470571

User image

Champion
Calgary
cwpeters - 2011-04-28 5:25 AM

Today should be fun. After teaching this morning I am picking up my bike from the LBS after they put on a set of Zipp 808's. Unfortunately they are not mine to keep. The LBS sponsors me, they hook me up for some bigger races. I'll get in a 6 mile spin as soon as afternoon practices are over.

wow, that is super sweet. How did you end up getting sponsored?
2011-04-28 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
It is currently snowing and calling for a thunderstorm this afternoon.  I'm supposed to do a ride today and not looking forward to it.  I guess I ought to pull the trainer out of the closet...
2011-04-28 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3471046

User image

Champion
Calgary
Deb,

That bites. I remember when I was training for my IM it seemed like it rained every friggin weekend early on. And torrential down pours. I cannot do the trainer. I would get on my mountain bike and ride the paved trails in the park for 4-5 hours. It was brutal.

Good for you for sticking to the plan though and getting the trainer out. That is half the battle.

2011-04-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3470447

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
DaveL - 2011-04-28 12:13 AM

juniperjen - 2011-04-27 12:41 PM Dave! We're doing the same race!  Your lead up tri's should get you ready for Muskoka! It's a big goal but totally achievable. 

It is a big goal but I am a sucker for punishment and am extremely goal oriented.

I found this tonight; http://www.bikemuskoka.ca/spin-the-lakes.htmlThe 110km route pretty much follows the Muskoka 70.3 route so I think it would be a great training ride. If I can make it fit the schedule I might ride the route once per month just so I can get a feel for the hills.

That will definitely help! I rode the course twice last summer and it definitely helped me to understand what I was getting into. The first time, I got off the bike and seriously wondered how on earth i was going to run after that!! But with training, it does get more manageable.

I do plan to ride it a couple of times again - it's pretty easy to park right at Deerhurst and go.

2011-04-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3469472

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
_Deb_ - 2011-04-27 2:46 PM

Welcome to the group Jen!

It's good to hear you were able to overcome your panic in the water.  A year ago, I panicked if I ended up in the deep end of a swimming pool.  Now, I'm good with that, but kind of concerned about open water still.  If you can do it, I'm sure I can too.

I soooo remember being at my swim lessons and just staring into the deep end as they were teaching us basic dives.  I did super panic at my first tri - sigh, but what i did, even though I could go much longer on the bike and run was sign up for the short distance tris ... basically for the swim.  I wish i could say i didn't panic in the actual races but the first was a mess but i kept making forward progress and in the end it was just 13 minutes ... that's it! 

What super super super helps me is practice in the open water ... going with people you trust and swimming in the lake.  Nothing has better prepared me.  So, come early June I'll be digging out my wetsuit and getting back in the lake regularly - even though it's going it's going to be oh so cold!  

2011-04-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3470897

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

BigDH - 2011-04-28 10:09 AM
cwpeters - 2011-04-28 5:25 AM Today should be fun. After teaching this morning I am picking up my bike from the LBS after they put on a set of Zipp 808's. Unfortunately they are not mine to keep. The LBS sponsors me, they hook me up for some bigger races. I'll get in a 6 mile spin as soon as afternoon practices are over.
wow, that is super sweet. How did you end up getting sponsored?

They used to sponsor a tri club, but the numbers dropped, so they decided this year to just sponsor a few riders and triathletes. I was in all the time asking questions and working on my riding, got asked to join their Saturday morning group rides, then was sent an application for sponsorship.  I think the only reason I got picked is so the rest of the group can use me to draft behind.Wink

2011-04-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3471046

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

_Deb_ - 2011-04-28 10:55 AM It is currently snowing and calling for a thunderstorm this afternoon.  I'm supposed to do a ride today and not looking forward to it.  I guess I ought to pull the trainer out of the closet...

Good job, the weather had been erratic around here as well, the trainer sucks but I always feel happy that I got a ride in even it was inside.

Had a good quick swim this morning and I think I've kicked my cold so it makes for a great weekend which starts about 4 today for me.

2011-04-28 2:36 PM

User image

Regular

Well, I managed to get the bike in this morning.  64 minutes, somewhat broken up because I couldn't totally neglect my children.  Plus, when I bike on the trainer and am on my own with the kids, I have to choose either fan or tv.  If I have both on, I can't hear when trouble is brewing.  Just one, and I can hear what's happening.  Today, I chose the tv, so it was a hot and sweaty ride, but I'll use it to pretend summer is coming.

I have a swim this evening, which is one reason I needed to get the bike out of the way.  I don't like trying to get a double in during the evening.  It just eats up family and couple time too much.

Darren, I had to laugh when you said it was good for me to stick it out and ride the trainer.  When I posted originally, I never said I was actually going to.  Just that I should...  It was very tempting and I developed quite a habit of neglecting my bike over the winter.

Jen, I definitely need to get some open water swims in, but the opportunities are pretty limited around here.  Not nearly as many open bodies of water, aside from glacier fed ones.  Of course, I'm doing a race in a glacier fed lake, so maybe I should practice there too...

Nick, glad to hear you're feeling better.  Enjoy your long weekend!

2011-04-28 11:04 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

My good day didn't go so well...

I dropped my bike off Wednesday to get a set of Zipp 808 rental wheels put on for my race this weekend.  Picked it up Thursday morning then went for a 9 mile ride between jobs.  Made it all of 3 pedal stroke before pfffssss.  Flat #1 - rear wheel.  Went back to my truck, changed the tire, checked the inside of the tire, checked the rim got going again.  This time I made it 3/4 of a mile before pfffssss.  Flat #2 - rear wheel, again.  Didn't want to shred a third tube so I walked back to my truck and drove straight to the LBS.  They checked things out put in a new tube and said everything would be fine now.  So, after my evening job, I head out to get in that 9 mile ride.  This time I make it 7.5 miles before, you guessed it, pfffssss.  Flat #3 - front wheel this time.  Three flats in less than 6 hours! I haven't had a single flat in the last 6 months.  

Do I take the rentals back and just use my regular wheels or do I change the front and hope/pray/wish that I can make it through the 26 miles in Sunday's race?

Rant over.  Thank you. 

2011-04-29 3:09 AM
in reply to: #3472650

Do I take the rentals back and just use my regular wheels or do I change the front and hope/pray/wish that I can make it through the 26 miles in Sunday's race?

i know what I would do!! put your original wheels on for piece of mind.  You may still get a puncture, but hopefully not 7!!  As on those wheels you did less than 10 miles and 3 punctures, I dont believe in coincidence.  A few minutes each puncture would seriously effect your cycle time!!

Plus (and probably mainly), you will have it in the back of your mind and not fully concentrate on the race.  All the best with deciding and good luck for the race.

I went to the tri club again last night, the run was a lot faster pace.  Which was good as I pushed myself harder than I normally would.  The swim was good!!  Really relaxed more in the water, and was making sure I exhaled as soon as my head was underwater, generally my breathing wasnt as rushed, I was reading swimsmooth.com which was helpful.

One of the guys said it was harder pace swimming this week, but I felt less exhausted.  I was even able to do 100m straight and feel ok to do more.  I think a bit more practice and I will find a decent pace.  I need to get to the pool on my own!!

Cheers

2011-04-29 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Well I am exhausted today. Brutal run in shorts and a tshirt in the middle of an almost blizzard. Then, last night, well last night was awesome, I went to my old karate club were my wife was getting her brown belt (which is a pretty big deal) (oh and she is 6 months pregnant and likely can do more pushups than I can). Anyways, grading classes are always brutal and my feet and quads are absolutley burning today. Haven't been this sore in a while, feels good.

Chris, sucks about those tires man. You need to get a good ride in today to make sure those suckers are sturdy, any more problems switch them out.

2011-04-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3472926

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

So - I ended up coming down with that same flu bug on Wednesday that my son had.  So Wednesday was shot!  Felt a lot better yesterday.  Got a 30 min bike in and some core and ab work.  Today I'll do a six mile run.  Hopefully a bike and a swim tomorrow. 

About the NYC marathon.  As a result of not having my information updated.  I was not accepted via the lottery.  However, I was able to register thru the American Cancer Society.  So I will be running NY after all! 

Hearing about all of Chris's blown tires reminds me that I need to get to the bike shop for a tire repair kit, spare tubes and a portable pump.  I don't have any of it yet.  Any recomendations for what I should get here? 

- Ryan

2011-04-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3472650

User image

Regular

Chris, that sucks about the wheel.  I'd only use it in the race if you have time/opportunity to take it for another medium - long ride before then.  Obviously something is up, and you don't want to deal with constant flats in your race.  Besides which, I doubt you carry half a dozen tubes with you...

Mark, nice job on the run and the swim.  It's amazing what technique does in the pool.  I've never been able to swim faster by working harder, but proper technique has done a lot for me.

Darren, I can't believe you wore shorts to run yesterday.  Are you one of those guys that's wearing shorts in February? Your wife sounds pretty amazing.  I was mostly inactive before my pregnancies which lead to a condition that forced me to be inactive during them.  It sucked.  She's probably feeling great.

Ryan, sorry you caught the bug from your son.  Glad you're feeling better.  As for the repair kit, right now, I just have a couple spare tubes, tire levers and a frame pump.  I know a lot of people carry a bike multi-tool, but I figured it wasn't useful to me, since I don't have the knowledge to use it yet.  I also take my cell phone, so if anything bigger then a flat happens, I'll be calling someone for help.  When I do races, I'll carry CO2 instead of (or as well as) the frame pump.  I also have a little pack of patches, but I intend to just change the tube if something happens on the road and do any patching at home.

I got my swim in last night and felt good.  There was a guy at the pool asking me for advice on his form.  I started off by telling him he should get coaching from someone that knows more then me.  It's funny; I'm one of the slowest in the tri club, but I've actually become one of the faster swimmers during lane swim times.  And I am NOT fast at all.

This weather bites.  It's back to winter here.  Last night I left the pool and was assaulted with strong winds and virtually horizontally blowing snow.  I'm so glad today is a rest day for me.  I run tomorrow, but I can do that in snow if need be.  I'm hoping it will be nice by Sunday for a bike ride...

2011-04-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3472944

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Chris, rotten luck, I wouldnt run those wheels, you would spend more time worrying about getting a flat than putting in a good ride. That said I swapped out my tires this spring because the old ones were 'old' and I didnt want to risk getting a flat. My first ride on them I got a flat 70km into a 95km ride. I guess sometimes our best intentions bite back

Ryan, For my flat kit I have a spare tube, a C02 inflator, 2 tire levers, I also have a small bike multi tool and some cash.I should also have a couple of glueless patches. This all fits into a small seat bag.

Glad your marathon worked out, it would have been a shame to miss it because of something so minor.

2011-04-29 12:44 PM

New user

Mansfield, MA

Hi Darren,

If you've still got room, I'd like to join your group.

NAME: Josh

STORY: 35 y.o. guy who's been big all my life.  I'm 6'3", presently about 310 lbs., down from 400 in January, 2010.  I was big in high school, somewhat active.  I was a scuba diver in the water on a regular basis, but was never super involved in sports or working out.  In college, the activity dropped, but the food didn't, and my "freshman 15" was closer to 50 - and never stopped.  My work kept me moving throughout my 20's, which kept the weight "manageable", but about 4 years ago I started a desk job and ballooned up the rest of the way.  

My weight loss started when I stepped on a scale last January for the first time in years and saw the number tip to 400.  That was a scary moment, and one that I couldn't deny.  I started a low carb diet and some light exercise with friends at work.  I was having a little success, but one day a few months in I pushed a little too hard and wound up in the Emergency Room with chest pain.  I resolved then that if I was going to do this, I had to be smart about it.  I began focusing on nutrition and smart, balanced exercising using body weight movements and dumbbells, and have been working on it ever since.

At the end of last summer, I was taking my kids to a local park and saw a banner hanging for a 5K run / walk the next weekend.  I had never run before, other than some treadmill stuff in the gym, but I decided on a whim to do it.  I had been walking about 2 and 1/4 miles a couple days a week, so I figured 3.1 shouldn't be too bad.  I did it, walking mostly, with some jogging, and finished in about 44 min.  When I got home that night, I decided I would do a Sprint Tri at the end of this summer.  I've had all winter to dread that decision...

Now it's time to put my money where my mouth is.  I just registered for a Sprint Tri on August 27, 2011.  I've got a 5 mile run on Fathers' Day and a 10K on July 4 as well.  I don't own a bike (yet - probably buying a hybrid this weekend), I haven't swam in a while, but I'm now jogging the 2 1/4 miles rather than walking, so that's a start...

FAMILY: Married for 10 years, a 5 year old son and a 3 year old daughter.

GOAL: I never pictured myself as an athlete, certainly not an endurance athlete.  I just need to prove to myself that I can do this.  I just want to finish.

2011-04-29 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Josh,

Welcome aboard. That is some impressive weight loss. Have you been following any sort of plan. 4 Months is tons of time to train for a Sprint but the sooner you start getting consistent workouts in the better. You say you can now run the 2.25 miles, how often are you running?
2011-04-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3473617

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Wow Josh - that's some awesome weight loss!  Keep it up! You definitely can do this and I'll bet if you keep it up and keep setting goals for yourself you'll be calling yourself an athlete in no time! 

- Ryan

2011-04-29 5:06 PM

New user

Australia

HI

I would like to join your mentor group ...

Im 31 and live in Australia.  My triathlon experience is relatively new, with pretty much doing a few races at the tail end of this season - mainly enticer distance but my focus is to get into sprint distance.  The races I have done I've placed so I would love to continue this trend.

My background is soccer and netball - so cycling and running aren't too bad and I currently swim teach (so constantly in the pool).  However, open water swimming has been difficult and I would love to be able to do this confidently!

Otherwise, personally, I live with my 10yo daughter, and I have a 4yo son both gorgeous, and my dog keeps me moving for recovery at the beach (I live by the coast - so have plenty of open water to practice in

My aim is to travel with racing and be as competitive as possible - I am going to the Solomons in July to give it a go there.

Would love to know more about tri's and would appreciate any tips, tricks or hints you may have.  Ps. its coming on winter here so any sunshine you're having would also keep me motivated!

Michelle

2011-04-29 5:55 PM

New user

Greater Toronto Area

NAME: Steph

STORY:  I guess I'm the exception since I love to run.  I started running 2 or 3 years ago to loose weight and adored it.  Last winter/spring I was training for my first half-marathon when I was plagued with injury after injury.  As it turns out, I don't have the knees for long distance running.  I started thinking that I enjoyed races and setting goals, but I could keep just running.  I am a good swimmer and used to ride a bike as a kid so I thought I'd give triathlons a try.

FAMILY STATUS: a few month away from the big 3-0, newly married

CURRENT TRAINING:  It's pretty basic really.  I am trying to run, bike and swim twice a week each with one long slow and one short fast.  I try to increase the length of each a bit most weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm running a 10k this Sunday and have my first triathlon in Guelph June 18th.  I'm only signed up for the try-a-tri until I see how my joints hold up.  It will also give me a chance to try the format (open water swim, transitions, etc.) without too much pressure.  If I enjoy it (as I'm hoping I will) I may sign up for a sprint race later in the season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 45 lbs in time for my wedding in September.  But now that the big event has passed, I'm having a super hard time finding the motivation to keep it off.  I'm back up almost 20lb already and not happy about it.  I have found that exercise keeps me on track for my diet, so I'm hoping having this goal and a day on the calendar will get everything back on check.

2011-04-29 6:35 PM

While I am by no means a "serious Triathlete," since I never expect to win, I like to challenge myself and others to get out there and do something.

I have been interested in endurance sports for awhile and last year completed my first tri- a sprint distance race (Milk Man in NM).  It was a great experience, but my finish was less than spectacular (but I did finish so that is all that matters to me).

I have been training for a marathon this year (last year too, but sidelined by acl injury).

I hope to gain some valuable insight from this forum and appreciate input.

Thanks.

2011-04-29 7:10 PM

Name:  Jeanne

Can I please join your group?  I need all the help I can get!!!  I just signed up for my first triathlon (olympic) occuring the end of July.  1000m swim, 23 mile bike, and 10k run.  I have been training at the gym for a couple of months and I'm up to swimming 1 hour, biking 10 miles, and running 4 miles; three/four times a week.     

2011-04-29 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED
And then there were 16.

Alrighty then. Off to the races we go. I have, using my limited computer ability, put together a table that you can copy into your homepage that links to everyone's log so that you can check in on each other and make sure every one is following through.

Here it is, I hope. Should anyone have any mad skills feel free to spruce it up.

Ticking off the BOXES

link to the forum pg1

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21