General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-10-10 4:54 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Thats really cool, after IMLT I am not sure that I really enjoy going above a 6% grade on my bike.

2013-10-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Local pool just changed the masters schedule so that I can now actually make it to masters swim twice a week. Pretty excited, my swim is just ok, so this should help. Should also really help motivate me to get to the pool once it starts getting colder around here.
2013-10-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Monday, October 21st........... Start day for a 36 week IM Training Plan. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a stress fracture in my left ankle and unable to run right now. Haven't run for a few weeks already and it's driving me nuts! grrr.

BTW, I received my Tri Course HD video of the IMCDA bike course. I haven't ridden while watching it yet, but I did watch the shortened version and it looks good. It will certainly give a foundation for anyone wanting to "ride" the course and get a lay of the land..

So....... T minus 36 weeks! Let the long countdown begin. :-)
2013-10-22 11:35 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by soretaint

Monday, October 21st........... Start day for a 36 week IM Training Plan. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a stress fracture in my left ankle and unable to run right now. Haven't run for a few weeks already and it's driving me nuts! grrr.

BTW, I received my Tri Course HD video of the IMCDA bike course. I haven't ridden while watching it yet, but I did watch the shortened version and it looks good. It will certainly give a foundation for anyone wanting to "ride" the course and get a lay of the land..

So....... T minus 36 weeks! Let the long countdown begin. :-)

36 weeks? Geez, that suddenly made me nervous. It seems so much further away than that.
2013-11-01 9:28 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Still sort of in "off-season" mode. Which really means I'm not as consistent as I will be, and my long rides aren't 5+ hours. But, it won't be long now. I'm figuring after Thanksgiving I'll start getting more consistent, and come January, the real prep will begin. When is everyone going to start focusing (or have you already?) and how's it all going? Shorter days and busier work are cutting into my running, but my plan for this year is to really get a lot of riding in. I tried to focus on the run last time for Arizona, but I think the key for me this time will be to focus on the bike.
2013-11-01 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4813476

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm mere hours away from the start of IMFL. I have convinced my wife to do 70.3 in New Orleans so my offseason will be short. Back in the saddle right around thanksgiving

2013-11-01 3:49 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by papson14

I'm mere hours away from the start of IMFL. I have convinced my wife to do 70.3 in New Orleans so my offseason will be short. Back in the saddle right around thanksgiving

Good luck in Florida!
2013-11-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by kmac1346

Still sort of in "off-season" mode. Which really means I'm not as consistent as I will be, and my long rides aren't 5+ hours. But, it won't be long now. I'm figuring after Thanksgiving I'll start getting more consistent, and come January, the real prep will begin. When is everyone going to start focusing (or have you already?) and how's it all going? Shorter days and busier work are cutting into my running, but my plan for this year is to really get a lot of riding in. I tried to focus on the run last time for Arizona, but I think the key for me this time will be to focus on the bike.

Definitely still in off season mode here. I've got a big year next year and I need to take advantage of this mental and physical break. I'm still doing several hours per week of base building (anywhere from 5-10 hours). The only fast thing I've done recently is a lunchtime run when I had to hurry to avoid being late for a meeting. I just got back from my first swim since my last triathlon six weeks ago. I'm enjoying the unstructured time.
2013-11-02 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
We scored on a hotel room before the Hotel caught wind of them moving the race a week later lol They had the rates jacked up the week before still lol

OOPS. Should I feel bad? lol
2013-11-02 8:43 PM
in reply to: rnner66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by rnner66

We scored on a hotel room before the Hotel caught wind of them moving the race a week later lol They had the rates jacked up the week before still lol

OOPS. Should I feel bad? lol

Wait, what? Moved a week later? It's still June 29, right? That's what the site says.
2013-11-02 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Wait, what? Moved a week later? It's still June 29, right? That's what the site says.

If the race organizers had stuck to the historical pattern, it should have been on June 22nd.    

2013-11-04 11:14 AM

User image

Uh oh. Another reminder for me to get on top of this hotel thing

re: training - taking it easy as well for now...base building runs and rides, and that's really it.
2013-11-04 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by soretaint I just ordered an IMCDA bike course video from a new company at www.Tricoursehd.com Once I get it, I'll do a review for everyone. That way you'll know if it's worth the 19.95 + tax & shipping......... You can go to their website and watch an overview of the course video if you want... and NO, I'm not on their payroll, I just thought it would be good for the winter time trainer rides.

I got my video in the mail a few weeks ago.  I've used it about 4 times now.  I don't have much to compare it too, since its the first trainer DVD I've ever owned but I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I programmed the elevation profile into TrainerRoad.com to make it a little more fun....
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/23596-tri-course-hd-coeur-d-alene

I still haven't made it through a full 2 hour trainer workout yet.  I'm still riding outside whenever I get a chance.  But I'm sure I'll get lots of chances to do the full 2 hours over the winter.

I do have a couple of gripes about the video.  The speed of the filming vehicle is pretty much constant -- I would prefer if they went slower up hills and faster on the way down (like a bike).  And sometimes the techno music sounds like a disc brake rubbing on a caliper.  But overall its a good way to get to know the course.  

Mike

Edited by ultramike 2013-11-04 9:54 PM
2013-11-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by soretaint I just ordered an IMCDA bike course video from a new company at www.Tricoursehd.com Once I get it, I'll do a review for everyone. That way you'll know if it's worth the 19.95 + tax & shipping......... You can go to their website and watch an overview of the course video if you want... and NO, I'm not on their payroll, I just thought it would be good for the winter time trainer rides.

I got my video in the mail a few weeks ago.  I've used it about 4 times now.  I don't have much to compare it too, since its the first trainer DVD I've ever owned but I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I programmed the elevation profile into TrainerRoad.com to make it a little more fun....
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/23596-tri-course-hd-coeur-d-alene

I still haven't made it through a full 2 hour trainer workout yet.  I'm still riding outside whenever I get a chance.  But I'm sure I'll get lots of chances to do the full 2 hours over the winter.

I do have a couple of gripes about the video.  The speed of the filming vehicle is pretty much constant -- I would prefer if they went slower up hills and faster on the way down (like a bike).  And sometimes the techno music sounds like a disc brake rubbing on a caliper.  But overall its a good way to get to know the course.  

Mike

"Disc brake rubbing on a caliper" LOL! Exactly!
I've ridden about 1 1/2 hours while watching it and the music is horrible. I'm glad I bought it, just because the visual of the course is nice to have, but I'm not super impressed with the video in general... I think when I use it this Winter, I'll put on some different music and turn the video sound off.
2013-11-09 12:14 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

It's good to be back on this site after being gone for a while. We are about 33 weeks out and I'm really excited to get this going! I'm already looking forward to winter being over so I can get outside again.
2013-11-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: bhasin

User image

Originally posted by bhasin

re: training - taking it easy as well for now...base building runs and rides, and that's really it.

If you need a list of hotels compiled, let me know. There are a few new hotels that have just been built that are on a bike path that leads to the city beach.

2013-11-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Originally posted by bhasin

If you need a list of hotels compiled, let me know. There are a few new hotels that have just been built that are on a bike path that leads to the city beach.

Hmm … I already booked one on the north end of town, but I'm curious about these new ones you mentioned. If you have the names of them so I can look up locations, that would be interesting to see. New hotels often have cheaper rates for a while so it might be worth pursuing.
2013-11-09 6:57 PM

User image

Spring Hill Suites by Marriott and the Holiday inn are both brand new. If you follow the centennial trail, they are about 2.5 miles from the city beach.
2013-11-09 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Spring Hill Suites by Marriott and the Holiday inn are both brand new. If you follow the centennial trail, they are about 2.5 miles from the city beach.

If you are just looking for a roof over your head, there are hotels as low as 51.00 per night as well. Good deals available if you jump on board now.

Edited by AndyEWU07 2013-11-09 8:22 PM
2013-11-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
All the positive reviews and comments made it hard to resist so I signed up this morning and made hotel reservations. This will be my third IM (Wisconsin in 2011,2013). I'm 53 and have boys that are 7 and 8. My wife urged me to move IM training so that it wouldn't take up so much of the summer, which I thought was fair and this race fit the bill perfectly. I'll be one of the slow guys out on the course, no KQ for me unless I'm the last man standing. I try to take the tractor approach…slow and steady.

I've been kind of goofing off since September so it's time to get back to a little more structured routine. Looking forward to meeting and racing with some of you!

Safe training,
Mike
2013-11-11 11:30 AM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Originally posted by mikfinne

All the positive reviews and comments made it hard to resist so I signed up this morning and made hotel reservations. This will be my third IM (Wisconsin in 2011,2013). I'm 53 and have boys that are 7 and 8. My wife urged me to move IM training so that it wouldn't take up so much of the summer, which I thought was fair and this race fit the bill perfectly. I'll be one of the slow guys out on the course, no KQ for me unless I'm the last man standing. I try to take the tractor approach…slow and steady.

I've been kind of goofing off since September so it's time to get back to a little more structured routine. Looking forward to meeting and racing with some of you!

Safe training,
Mike

Mike, you are going to love CDA. The area is beautiful and nothing will beat our run course. The course only gets more exciting as the night goes on. You have plenty of time to get into shape for the race. Best of luck to you while you are training and I hope you stay healthy.

Andy

2013-11-11 8:22 PM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Safe training,
Mike

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll have a fun time in CdA. Is the family coming along?
2013-11-12 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Originally posted by citaltfort

Safe training,
Mike

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll have a fun time in CdA. Is the family coming along?

Yep, I plan on bringing the family. Made flight reservations today.

Did my second swim since IMWI in September…felt like I was going to puke….
2013-11-14 2:22 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Just finished IMFL, not well, but done. I'm beginning to train again as I want to be in great shape for this big year. Quick questions for all you cold weather folks or IMCDA vets.....neoprene caps? boots? gloves? what's the deal? You wear them? Like them? Hate them? favorite brand?
2013-11-14 9:23 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Caps and booties have been allowed at IMCDA in the past. Two years ago, the water was a chilly 54 degrees and this year I believe it was close to 60 degrees. I heard that the lake did not feel nearly as cold as it did the year prior. That being said, I do not wear a cap or booties. There is no reason why I don't but it could be because I'm used to the lake temps.

If you have a good wetsuit, I think you would be ok without booties. I see a lot of athletes either wear two swim caps or a neoprene cap with their IM cap over it.

I guess it would depend on the water you're used to.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139174 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384016 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135220 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3681 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61737 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.