BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-01-07 3:28 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN

Helloooooooooooooo everyone!

I'm back for more. Thanks for the heads up, Carl/stryker! I guess I'm a little late to the party. Hello to old and new friends!

NAME: miche033 - Rebecca

STORY: I've been doing triathlons for 12 years! Holy cow! Just completed a HIM in September and I am now flailing around for some new goals. I'm not planning on more HIMs. HIM training took up too much of my life, so I also have work to do. Would like to lose weight and get faster.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years, two boys, ages (almost) 5 and 2. We are planning on adopting one more kiddo. Our home study is almost done. Will be nice to be able to train hard while "expecting" this time. Although once done with homestudy, a placement could occur at any time, with or without warning. Could make life interesting.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nil since November. Need to get back on track.

2014 RACES: Half marathon in February. I would like to beat 31 min for 5k. (PR is 32:05.) That's my only goal currently. So I guess I'll be running some 5ks. Maybe an oly or two this season. I don't know. Open to suggestions. Need motivation for sure.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm up about 10 lbs since my HIM training ended in Sept. I'd really like to lose 30, if I could muster some better eating habits and some weight training.

2014-01-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri 2013 Stats are here! This may or may not satisfy some. I decided to include those Hashers and Mashers that have returned from last season and were logging last season. If there are others that return, I'll revise and resubmit! Aside from mentioning that there were some very close rivalries in several categories (except Running - thanks, Mike!), I'll let the year-end stats speak for themselves. Great work. Let's shoot for an even more productive (and injury-free) 2014. Happy New Years!

BTusernameSwim (yds)Bike (mi)Run (mi)Total Time (hrs)
strykergt1121372534751370
wenceslasz2073852206376342
TRIal_of_miles2037272861174258
Fresno_Joe1264021329567222
ransick0291101187
PsyTri80037507282109
miche0331108621196524248

I added myself in. Middle of the road, like Joe. Joe - you beat me on everything but time. I succeed in being slower than you.

Mike - You made your 1000 miles and then some! WTG! That's awesome! What are your goals for this year?

2014-01-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by PsyTri 2013 Stats are here! This may or may not satisfy some. I decided to include those Hashers and Mashers that have returned from last season and were logging last season. If there are others that return, I'll revise and resubmit! Aside from mentioning that there were some very close rivalries in several categories (except Running - thanks, Mike!), I'll let the year-end stats speak for themselves. Great work. Let's shoot for an even more productive (and injury-free) 2014. Happy New Years!

ransick0291101187
PsyTri80037507282109
miche0331108621196524248

I added myself in. Middle of the road, like Joe. Joe - you beat me on everything but time. I succeed in being slower than you.

Mike - You made your 1000 miles and then some! WTG! That's awesome! What are your goals for this year?

Welcome back, Rebecca! Perfect time to revise your goals and get started. There are always the challenges. I've joined the 100 miles in January challenge, then there's the Ransick challenge ... oops, I mean the 1000 miles in 2014 challenge! Glad to have you. I'll include you in the next stats posting.
2014-01-07 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - updated 1/7/14 for your training log browsing pleasure :)

Ransick - Mike - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=143836

GregDufour - Greg - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=365166

PsyTri - Gary - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=358070

wenceslasz - George - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=271915

strykergt - Carlo - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=345760

Fresno_Joe - Joe - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=342832

Mike_D - Mike - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=195571

nxcoco - Nick - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=369363

TRIal_of_miles - Aaron - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=353679

Denny - DPoulin - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=369942

Tukutuku - Jurga - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=337370

tatous - Tay -  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/?setplanned=0&memberid=352394

miche033 - Rebecca - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=17891

Edited by miche033 2014-01-07 4:05 PM
2014-01-07 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Lucky 13!

2014-01-07 5:25 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - CLOSED

Helloooooooooooooo everyone!

I'm back for more. Thanks for the heads up, Carl/stryker! I guess I'm a little late to the party. Hello to old and new friends!

NAME: miche033 - Rebecca

STORY: I've been doing triathlons for 12 years! Holy cow! Just completed a HIM in September and I am now flailing around for some new goals. I'm not planning on more HIMs. HIM training took up too much of my life, so I also have work to do. Would like to lose weight and get faster.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years, two boys, ages (almost) 5 and 2. We are planning on adopting one more kiddo. Our home study is almost done. Will be nice to be able to train hard while "expecting" this time. Although once done with homestudy, a placement could occur at any time, with or without warning. Could make life interesting.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nil since November. Need to get back on track.

2014 RACES: Half marathon in February. I would like to beat 31 min for 5k. (PR is 32:05.) That's my only goal currently. So I guess I'll be running some 5ks. Maybe an oly or two this season. I don't know. Open to suggestions. Need motivation for sure.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm up about 10 lbs since my HIM training ended in Sept. I'd really like to lose 30, if I could muster some better eating habits and some weight training.

Welcome back Rebecca! With the addition of Lucky 13, I'll close the group. Of course if anyone else from the last group wants in, they are welcome. Heck, if anyone else wants in period, we'll let them in :-).

2014-01-07 9:13 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

ransick0291101187
PsyTri80037507282109
miche0331108621196524248

I haven't figured out my goals for this year yet. I have a lot going on so I'll probably keep it simple again.
2014-01-07 11:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Mike - I like the idea that other people are welcome to join the group at any time.

Miche - really glad to see you back. I thought about letting you know we were still going. Really, special that you're looking to adopt another child. Our oldest daughter and her husband have been trying to adopt for awhile now.

Stereotypical Canadian joke, eh! Not really a joke but its "Crashed Ice" Season again. If you're curious go to Youtube and type in "Crashed Ice" to watch a few videos. I enjoy watching them - fairly exciting and fast.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-07 11:37 PM
2014-01-08 12:54 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

windsor, Ontario
Crashed Ice is tremendous.

Getting my new knee brace in tomorrow. Can't wait. My knee has been horribly sore for 3-4 weeks.
2014-01-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

Hows everyone getting on this week?
I still need to work out where to fit the bike in my schedule... I would usually cycle with the club on Sundays and then do a workout on the spinning bike on Wednesday when I don't have company, but last Sunday the weather was awful so we didn't go out, and I ended up running on the treadmill instead, and today I got a pass to this brilliant new gym and really only jogged on the treadmill and done weights. To make matters worse I'm going out on Saturday night and don't know what shape I'll be in the next day...
I wanted to go out on the bike tomorrow but I don't want to give up the swim...
2014-01-08 10:49 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by tatous Hows everyone getting on this week? I still need to work out where to fit the bike in my schedule... I would usually cycle with the club on Sundays and then do a workout on the spinning bike on Wednesday when I don't have company, but last Sunday the weather was awful so we didn't go out, and I ended up running on the treadmill instead, and today I got a pass to this brilliant new gym and really only jogged on the treadmill and done weights. To make matters worse I'm going out on Saturday night and don't know what shape I'll be in the next day... I wanted to go out on the bike tomorrow but I don't want to give up the swim...
I too have a hard time fitting the bike in...which frustrates me because it is the most important part.  This time of year it's not light out early enough for me to go before work, it's usually not worth it to do at lunch time because I couldn't go for more than 45 minutes or so, and by the time I get out of work it's too dark and/or cold.  But running and swimming I could do just about every day of the week if I wanted.

I pulled a three-a-day today.  Biked at lunch and took the kids to the gym when I got home and ran and swam.  Definitely felt a bit more drained on the swim than I usually do.  Wasn't really pushing it on any of the three workouts though, just pushing for miles/yards, so it was successful from that standpoint.

2014-01-08 11:11 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

windsor, Ontario
Started strength training this week so I've been busy. 3 days a week I go to the gym, work midnights and then head right back to the gym to lift weights. Been alot of work, but so far so good. Looking forward to swimming Thursday morning.
2014-01-08 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Tay - Sometimes it takes awhile to find a schedule that works for you but it will come. For a long time I was swimming 3 days per week (M/W/F) and cycling T/Th/Sat and I couldn't find time to run but as I built up my fitness I found I could run after swimming on M/W/F and sometimes one run on Sat or Sun.

Unfortunately, you have your day to day schedule to work around. Sometimes mapping out your daily schedule will help you sort it out. I went back to look at your Bio and it looks as though you have a lot of demands on your time. Is your spouse supportive? Six and Four yr old kids are pretty precious but how do they feel about your training?

I know some people get out early mornings to work out or get some training in on their lunch breaks. Or, like me I could get away from my computer or the TV.

In any case I hope you can work out a way to run your local Oly. It would be a great experience.

Let us know how you make out.
2014-01-08 11:35 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Greg - It sounds like you're working hard and hopefully enjoying it. Keep it up.
2014-01-09 3:21 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Lol I've never been so sore and stiff in all my life. Good lord.
2014-01-09 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Tay, do you have a bike trailer or other similar thing such that you could incorporate at least one of the kids in your bike workout?  And/Or do you have a trainer?  I hate the thing but sometimes it's the only way to fit in the bike workout between work and home life. 

2014-01-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Tay, do you have a bike trailer or other similar thing such that you could incorporate at least one of the kids in your bike workout?  And/Or do you have a trainer?  I hate the thing but sometimes it's the only way to fit in the bike workout between work and home life. 

Ditto that. When you have to get in a bike and can't during the day, the trainer is the way to go. Pluses: you can do it after the kids are in bed in your own home. It's also more efficient because there are no stop lights or down hills. I guess 45 min trainer = 1 hr outside. You can watch TV while you train. Minuses: you're not outside. It sucks, although not as bad as the dreadmill, imho.

I found a really inexpensive used trainer on craigslist. Used it while HIM training, but haven't gotten it out this winter yet.

Also, you have to weigh which sport, if any, you want to focus on. Which needs the most work? Which gives you the most joy? By focus I mean which one do you add the extra workout for? You still have to strive for a base/balance in all 3 sports. For me, swimming is a strength, and also the shortest part of the race. So if I miss a workout, it will probably be a swim. On the other hand, swimming makes me feel fantastic (swimmer's high?) so if I need endorphins, I go for the swim.

I'm off to a spin class! Cheers!

2014-01-09 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by GregDufour Lol I've never been so sore and stiff in all my life. Good lord.

You must be doing something right! lol!

(But make sure to drink a lot and roll out those sore muscles!)

Edited by miche033 2014-01-09 10:45 AM
2014-01-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

Wow! This group is really supportive, thanks everyone for the replies
My husband is supportive, but up to a limit... And I do avoid spending time away during the time the kids are awake and I'm not at work (most of my training is early mornings, before I go to work).
The bike is the part I need to improve the most, and also because of lack of company (and confidence to go out on my own) the one I find the least appealing - I can quite easily go for a run instead.
I do think the trainer will be the solution... I can train after the kids are sleeping at least two or three nights a week when my husband is out and won't be bothered by me training 'yet again' lol
But question: can you really take it as a proper bike workout? I mean, is it a real substitute? I guess what I'm asking is: if I only cycle outdoors once a week on a long run but do two turbo workouts, is it possible to see big improvements in my bike times?
2014-01-09 12:59 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by tatous

Wow! This group is really supportive, thanks everyone for the replies
My husband is supportive, but up to a limit... And I do avoid spending time away during the time the kids are awake and I'm not at work (most of my training is early mornings, before I go to work).
The bike is the part I need to improve the most, and also because of lack of company (and confidence to go out on my own) the one I find the least appealing - I can quite easily go for a run instead.
I do think the trainer will be the solution... I can train after the kids are sleeping at least two or three nights a week when my husband is out and won't be bothered by me training 'yet again' lol
But question: can you really take it as a proper bike workout? I mean, is it a real substitute? I guess what I'm asking is: if I only cycle outdoors once a week on a long run but do two turbo workouts, is it possible to see big improvements in my bike times?

Yes you can gain a lot of fitness on the trainer if you push yourself. I did my first half ironman in April and 99% (maybe 100%) of my riding was on a trainer. I think my longest trainer ride was four hours leading up to the race.

If you want a good plan, look up George's Winter Cycling plan here on BT. It's good.

Let me know if you can't find it, I probably have an electronic copy somewhere.
2014-01-09 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Man.  The plan was to go for a bike ride at lunch and medium run after work.  Took a bit longer on the bike ride than I was originally going to, and I'm still getting my bike legs back (not that I ever really had them to begin with), and I woke up for no good reason about two hours early this morning...which are all lame excuses for totally flaking on my run.  But honestly my legs and body are pooped.  Hopefully a bit more rest tonight gets me back tomorrow.  Maybe I'll do my medium run in the morning tomorrow and the short recovery run after swimming tomorrow night...

2014-01-09 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by ransick
Originally posted by tatous Wow! This group is really supportive, thanks everyone for the replies My husband is supportive, but up to a limit... And I do avoid spending time away during the time the kids are awake and I'm not at work (most of my training is early mornings, before I go to work). The bike is the part I need to improve the most, and also because of lack of company (and confidence to go out on my own) the one I find the least appealing - I can quite easily go for a run instead. I do think the trainer will be the solution... I can train after the kids are sleeping at least two or three nights a week when my husband is out and won't be bothered by me training 'yet again' lol But question: can you really take it as a proper bike workout? I mean, is it a real substitute? I guess what I'm asking is: if I only cycle outdoors once a week on a long run but do two turbo workouts, is it possible to see big improvements in my bike times?
Yes you can gain a lot of fitness on the trainer if you push yourself. I did my first half ironman in April and 99% (maybe 100%) of my riding was on a trainer. I think my longest trainer ride was four hours leading up to the race. If you want a good plan, look up George's Winter Cycling plan here on BT. It's good. Let me know if you can't find it, I probably have an electronic copy somewhere.

I typically did 1 to 2 short trainer rides (45 - 80 min) and 1-2 long outside rides (2 - 4 hrs) when I was HIM training. My race pace went from 15 mph to 16.6 mph. I never did 4 hrs on the trainer! Yuck! So yeah, I think you can get away with only 1 outdoor ride as long as it's the long one. Or go for the 4 hr trainer ride if you like, haha!

2014-01-10 8:42 AM

User image

I'm sold on the trainer idea, started looking for one now! Don't think I'll be doing 4hour rides... but you never know
My tri club has a turbo trainer session on tuesday evenings (which I can't go to) but they post the set on the boards every week, so I'll be able to have some direction. I'll look for the winter training plan too.
2014-01-10 9:14 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
What's everyone have planned for the weekend? I know Carlo has a marathon. Good luck Carlo!
2014-01-10 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick What's everyone have planned for the weekend? I know Carlo has a marathon. Good luck Carlo!
  Woohoo!  Good luck Carlo!  Can't wait to hear how it went!

Going to take the kids back in morning to swim, and then long run tomorrow afternoon.  I think some friends might join us, so maybe we'll go out for a good lunch after the swim? Sunday I'm meeting my new triathlon group for the first time, so that'll be cool.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21562 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37892 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20302 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.