BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-04 4:59 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open. Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch." This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case." She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are: 1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235; 2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined; 3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and 4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Now THAT's what I call fierce!

2017-01-04 5:01 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 I'm Barbara. I grew up swimming but switched to running after college when it seemed like it took less time. This year will be my third 70.3 (Victoria ). I am slow and would really like to get to a faster version of slow I am married with a 5yo iron kid and work full time I am currently doing a bike focused off season plan Races: Victoria 70.3 so far I tried to join last year but it was full. There aren't any tri groups around here and I really like a team environment. This seems like one of the only threads that stays active.

Welcome, Barbara.  As others have said, don't mind the pace around here.  And I think most of us are shooting for a slightly faster version of slow. 

2017-01-04 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open. Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch." This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case." She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are: 1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235; 2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined; 3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and 4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Sorry your mother got hurt, but her reaction proves she is a real runner!

2017-01-04 7:00 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Sorry I'm a little late to the dance. NAME: Jim Attorney/ East Tawas, MI OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, James Bacarella, Twitter, @JamesBacarella (that took a lot of thought), I have an instagram, jabacarella (but never post, mostly used to creep on my kids). STORY: I was a runner when I was young, military and stress relief, I never ran a race until I was 40. I had stopped all things exercise when I met my wife, officially 24 years ago on New Years Eve and in August we will celebrate 24 years of marriage. The result was a 14 year hiatus from all exercise. When I was 39 I had that physical. You know the one where I am 30 lbs over weight, and my numbers were a mess. everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. Throw in a high stress job and the MD said I was basically "at risk" for everything. I started with diet, not a diet, just modified it to the "Don't eat like a pig" diet. I eat all "normal" foods just in moderation. Instead of half of a large pizza I eat 2 pieces, etc. Then I started walking and then running again. One Saturday we were taking our kids to soccer and we had to stop for the local triathlon as the athletes were going from the swim to T1. I turned to my wife and said I am going to do that next year. She said Okay. Then I asked will you teach me to swim and she said okay. Since then I have done every distance including IM Louisville last October. Last year went sideways for me, I don't know how I was able to complete my IM. Hopefully I will have limited to no tragedy this year and will have consistency this year. FAMILY STATUS: Married to Michelle it will we 24 years in August. We have 4 kids Maria, (22) Sophia (20) Alexadria (18) and Sam (16). The two oldest are at Michigan State a senior and sophomore. The younger two are in high school a senior and a sophomore. The youngest three have all done triathlons, my oldest does not understand why anyone would run without a ball. The youngest girl is a state qualifier in cross country, but does not intend to run in college. CURRENT TRAINING: Winter trainer and treadmill workouts mostly using The Sufferfest on the trainer. I will do the tour de Sufferlandria this Winter. I am also doing strength training this year. Swimming is an issue, the closest pool is 1.5 hours away, so I only swim when I work out of town. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Sunrise Side Triathlon HIM, East Tawas, MI (I'm married to this one, I act as the city's liaison to the event). I'm trying to convince my wife it would be a good idea to do over IM Louisville, GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To continue active involvement in triathlon. I plan on doing the IM in Italy in 2018 or 19. It's nice to be able to bounce things off of a super supportive group with similar interests. I did get a slot in Escape from Alcatraz, but that falls between daughters number 1 and 3 graduating from college and high school respectively. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The social aspect and training support are the most important parts of this for me. Let's be honest, my wife and kids have a limited interest in my triathlon obsession, but they tolerate me, and I try to respect that. Although, my wife proved to be a top notch sherpa/cheerleader and a hell of a lot tougher than me at IM Louisville, never leaving the course, meeting me at several points in the race and non stop social media posts, doing it on no food and in the UC flare that would cost her her large intestine a month later. I find that involvement in a BT group keeps me motivated to train.

Welcome back, Jim! I'm glad that you found us :-D

How is Michelle doing these days?  Continuing to recover well?

Regarding races, when is the Sunrise Side Tri this year?  Are you doing Alcatraz or taking a pass on it due to an abundance of gradating Bacarellas?

2017-01-04 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

At least she's thinking clearly!  I'd be more worried if she *hadn't* stopped the watch.

Seriously, I'm glad that the fall didn't, uh, curb her enthusiasm and that she is not the injuries appear to be minor.

2017-01-04 7:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Birthday, Kirsten!!!

2017-01-04 7:28 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Thank all of you for the primer in gearing and cassettes! I've ridden for years and managed to avoid gaining any knowledge of it of course, living where I do, it really hasn't been much of an issue.  

Assuming my hamstring ever heals and I can actually start riding ( and running) again, I will get the 11-28 and attempt to learn how to switch things out. Greasy hands be damned!!

The LBS is your friend. Bring a six pack, and a desire to learn and most of them are quite helpful. If all else fails, take a trip to Englewood on a Saturday 

And latex shop gloves can be helpful for your own use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKlQgTHi_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MYHOpzT5A

I just find the English accent appealing 

I like how they showed what compact and standard actually is in the first one as that often gets butchered. Put the ruler up to it too.

2017-01-04 7:39 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Thank all of you for the primer in gearing and cassettes! I've ridden for years and managed to avoid gaining any knowledge of it of course, living where I do, it really hasn't been much of an issue.  

Assuming my hamstring ever heals and I can actually start riding ( and running) again, I will get the 11-28 and attempt to learn how to switch things out. Greasy hands be damned!!

The LBS is your friend. Bring a six pack, and a desire to learn and most of them are quite helpful. If all else fails, take a trip to Englewood on a Saturday 

And latex shop gloves can be helpful for your own use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKlQgTHi_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MYHOpzT5A

I just find the English accent appealing 

I like how they showed what compact and standard actually is in the first one as that often gets butchered. Put the ruler up to it too.

I actually subscribed to their Youtube channel, as they seem to be pretty good and helpful. And becuase I need another source of information. 

2017-01-04 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in this but

What's with the wacky weather?!

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

2017-01-04 7:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

It's been like that here too. I've been alternating from shorts to fairly bundled most every day for near 2 weeks now. Yesterday was ~35 when I ran and tonight will be ~10.

2017-01-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

It's been like that here too. I've been alternating from shorts to fairly bundled most every day for near 2 weeks now. Yesterday was ~35 when I ran and tonight will be ~10.

The good thing is that I don't have laundry emergencies when I am using my spring/fall clothing and alternating that with my winter gear!

2017-01-04 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Still hot here. Cold and rainy on this upcoming Sunday (race day).

yippie

2017-01-04 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Your Mom is my hero! I am very glad she wasn't hurt worse!

2017-01-04 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

They are saying the dreaded four-letter word starting with S this weekend. I get to drive from your town to my town in ice and sleet and snow on Sunday. WTH? Today is like spring out.. with wind.

2017-01-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Your Mom is my hero! I am very glad she wasn't hurt worse!

Yep, this ^^^^

2017-01-04 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

yippie

Supposedly, we are getting that rain Saturday and it will be lows of 40, high 55 Sunday while I am handing out candy at mile 23 of the Disney marathon. Great weather for the runners, not too bad for the volunteers, though a bit warmer would be nice   I hope the forecast is right on the timing of the rain, cuz standing around in the rain for 7 hours will not be fun.

2017-01-04 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Birthday, Kirsten!!!

Happy Birthday!!

2017-01-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

yippie

Supposedly, we are getting that rain Saturday and it will be lows of 40, high 55 Sunday while I am handing out candy at mile 23 of the Disney marathon. Great weather for the runners, not too bad for the volunteers, though a bit warmer would be nice   I hope the forecast is right on the timing of the rain, cuz standing around in the rain for 7 hours will not be fun.

We were set for Sat afternoon, then Sat night, and this morning the weather guy said late Sat night into Sun. I know how this goes, it'll rain from 8-12 on Sunday morning 

2017-01-04 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yippie

We were set for Sat afternoon, then Sat night, and this morning the weather guy said late Sat night into Sun. I know how this goes, it'll rain from 8-12 on Sunday morning 

Piggy's Revenge will be EPIC!

Speaking of Epic, are you and Lisa watching The Bachelor again this season? Can we expect more EPIC blog updates ;-)

2017-01-04 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

yippie

Weather forecasts are usually wrong, so maybe we won't get any rain at all!

2017-01-04 9:12 AM

User image

yippie

Speaking of running in bad weather, do you guys wash your stuff after every run? I only have 2 pairs of warm running pants/tights and 1 running hat/glove combo. I wash everything everything else after every run but even though they smell, am I the only one getting a few workouts in before they hit the washing machine?

2017-01-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

yippie

Speaking of running in bad weather, do you guys wash your stuff after every run? I only have 2 pairs of warm running pants/tights and 1 running hat/glove combo. I wash everything everything else after every run but even though they smell, am I the only one getting a few workouts in before they hit the washing machine?

Yes, I wash everything after every run.  To be fair, if I lived in a cold place, I may not wash my gloves after each run, but I usually don't need to wear gloves that many days in a row!  If I need to, I wear socks on my hands, which, actually, are warmer than my gloves and make quite the fashion statement 

2017-01-04 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Piggy's Revenge will be EPIC!

Speaking of Epic, are you and Lisa watching The Bachelor again this season? Can we expect more EPIC blog updates ;-)

EPIC?!?!? 

I think I saw that Lisa watched on Monday, although I have to stay away from her logs now to avoid spoilers.

I believe that this season of BachCrap will be challenging, just due to my dislike of the lead.  But I will do it for my many fan (singular). It is on the DVR, I may get through it tonight. First night is always fun, because we get our intros to the crazies. So, tomorrow I'll recap and make my picks for top 4, which I am sure everyone is interested in.  

2017-01-04 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

yippie

Yes, I wash everything after every run.  To be fair, if I lived in a cold place, I may not wash my gloves after each run, but I usually don't need to wear gloves that many days in a row!  If I need to, I wear socks on my hands, which, actually, are warmer than my gloves and make quite the fashion statement 

The only items that do no follow the "every run" wash rule is gloves and hat. Keep in mind that I haven't worn them in over a year. They get washed as needed, which is often every run, but can be every other.

2017-01-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yippie

I wash the tops/bottoms/bra after every run but not the jacket/vest/hat/gloves.  So basically, any outer layers, I let go.

ETA: So pretty much, everyone here probably thinks that I'm a slob since the FL peeps are like, wash everything always!

Edited by jmkizer 2017-01-04 9:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102