BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

In reply to Nicole's roller question about people flying off of them.

This about sums it up for me - this is a beginner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UFwHWSnGM

And this looks like a more seasoned roller user

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edtMxfs1u4

Edited by firebert 2018-01-17 11:25 AM

2018-01-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Would like to try one of these, though Sagan makes it look easy (3x World Champion - he says twice in the video that was recorded before this past October when he made it 3 in a row)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7_rABu_-JQ

2018-01-17 11:55 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user

I am really struggling to get moving so far this year. But, I did just come back from my first weight session in 3+ years! It's gonna hurt tomorrow.
2018-01-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: newf112

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
MRI results are back...the good news is nothing is broken. The bad news is tendonitis in more than one area and arthritis in multiple joints. Since being relatively inactive for the last three and half months hasn't helped the tendonitis, the dr wants to give me a shot (can't remember if it is steroid or cortisol) and put me in a boot for an undisclosed length of time. I have to wait until next week for either, since I coudln't match my schedule with the dr schedule until then.

30' workout on the hand bike at the gym today. IT is still boring, but it looks out over the pool, so today I got to watch a variety of swimmers, some really good, some really bad. Easy to see the difference!
2018-01-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I strongly advise you to first try them in a door way in which you can support yourself on either side....speaking from experience!! :-)

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Goals for the week: 1. Workout every day, even if it's just a couple strength moves 2. Foam roll 3x 3. Intuitive eating chapter 1! It's happening! 4. Try out new trainer! I bought a used trainer, Cycleops Aluminum rollers. I haven't set it up or tried it out yet, but plan on doing so this week! I bought it for $35, so not too shabby!

Rollers???  Make sure you wear a helmet!!! 

Right?!

Don't know if you guys were around for Alan, but we used to have a semi-pro cyclist on BDAS and his quote about his rollers always made me laugh, something about how the dog would see them and hide because of the number of times Alan crashed into furniture while using them

Oh no! haha I doubt I will be going nearly as fast as Alan though. I am definitely nervous to try them out. So people just fly off of them? I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose...hmmm I might have to rethink this

2018-01-17 4:13 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

, Vermont
Hi Thor! Good to hear from you!

3 miles on the treadmill in Milwaukee last night. The little exercise room was so HOT! After 3 I just power walked for another 1.75 on an incline. Got in some weights after - mainly arms.

2018-01-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #5235431

User image

, Vermont
NAME: Jenn

STORY: I’m now 47.5. Have been doing tris for about 4 years now but did take this past summer off from racing to recover from an injury from the previous season.
I grew up playing a bunch of sports, many of which I coach my kids in now. Played softball in college and coached it for many years after. I kept running shorter distances just to stay in shape..
I had always wanted to try a tri and finally did - started with an Oly as the sprint I had signed up for that year cancelled. I’ve done 4 Oly’s, a few sprints, a few HIM and trained for a full and got hypothermia during the race (horrible conditions that day) - that was summer of 2016.

FAMILY STATUS: married to a great and supportive husband and have two boys (10 & 12).

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting back up again and with travel it has proven to be a challenge. I think trying to get bike workouts in will be the hardest to do.

2017 RACES: none

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: officially I am signed up for Ironman Lake Placid this year (signed up prior to taking a new job) but realistically unless I can find a way to effectively train on the road, I may have to defer.. playing it by ear. I will do my best to train but it won’t be close to the level I trained for IMMT two years ago.

BEER PREFERENCE: heffeweissen, stout, ales, pretty much anything that isn’t too hoppy, I’m done with the super hoppy beers (sorry Heady Topper sitting in my fridge..)

WEIGHT LOSS: looking to maintain weight as I sit for long periods of time.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: this is my fourth year (already?!) with BDAS (though I was quiet last year, I still followed everyone’s successes!). I love seeing the encouragement people give each other and I hope to help others in some small way. Accountability is often key for folks to reach their goals and I hope to do that for others.
2018-01-18 5:18 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi Thor! Good to hear from you! 3 miles on the treadmill in Milwaukee last night. The little exercise room was so HOT! After 3 I just power walked for another 1.75 on an incline. Got in some weights after - mainly arms.

I stay at a hotel in CT that has about a 400 sq. ft. or so workout room, where they squeeze in 5 treadmills, 3 elipticals, 3 stationary bikes, a multi-use weight machine, three benches, and a decent size rack of dumbbells.  Sometimes there will be 15 people in there at 6 AM.  And there's no fan.  Why cant they put fans in hotel gyms????

2018-01-18 5:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - Thor gives good advice on the doorway thing.  The thing with rollers is that you have to balance yourself with your core muscles (as opposed to a trainer where all of your effort is in your legs), and it takes some practice to not fall over.  Hell, I've fallen off my trainer.  LOL

Yesterday's 1.5 inches of snow closed schools so that threw my day around a bit, but I got to the gym during my daughter's 2-hour swim practice and I was doing something almost the whole time...45' on the TM, about 40' of ST and core work, and then a sllllloooow easy 700 yard cool down swim.

I hurt today. 

2018-01-18 5:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by newf112 I am really struggling to get moving so far this year. But, I did just come back from my first weight session in 3+ years! It's gonna hurt tomorrow.

Nice job, and yes it will.    Make sure to move around today, that'll help with recovery.

2018-01-18 5:27 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

The first one also looks like me the first time I tried to use clipless pedals. 

And I love all the comments on the second one "your seat is too high" (which it is).

2018-01-18 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by newf112 I am really struggling to get moving so far this year. But, I did just come back from my first weight session in 3+ years! It's gonna hurt tomorrow.

That's a good start! Keep moving to work out the soreness.

My swim last night was an easy 550 yards, getting my self back into the water is going better than expected. When I finished my set I felt like I could keep going. Next week I'm going to jump it up to 750 and see how I do. Unfortunately I have an early morning meeting today so I wasn't able to get my run in before work.

2018-01-18 10:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

The first one also looks like me the first time I tried to use clipless pedals. 

And I love all the comments on the second one "your seat is too high" (which it is).

Ahhh I'm really nervous now! haha this will be an adventure. I will let you guys know how it goes! The girl I bought it from suggested the doorway thing. DEFINITELY starting that way.
2018-01-18 10:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a football game last night and drank a little too much after so didn't work out this morning. I have an orientation at the gym this evening since our new pool will be opening soon and I teach swim lessons there. Hoping to get a workout in before or after.
2018-01-18 11:01 PM
in reply to: #5235437

User image

, Vermont
30 min on the trainer and got back into the pool for the first time in about 7 months! 500 yards and it felt so good to get back in a pool.
2018-01-19 8:06 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Got a 13 min (yea that's what the plan says) run in yesterday. It's been interesting starting this plan since I had been trying to build back up since mid-November. I'm trying to stick to it though and not go over the time limits to start, so that I can gradually work my way up. This is the 16 week Sprint Plan.

Any of you guys doing/done this? What would you do after a short run? Jump rope? Abs?

I'm planning on getting a short swim in today but have to do it during lunchtime, I figured any swim is better than no swim.

Lastly for the day, I have a question about nutrition for a Sprint. I'm guessing most of the nutrition for a shorter race is based on what you take in that week and even the morning of? But do you take in nutrition on the bike for instance in a shorter race? If so, what do you use? And I'm guessing you want to test all of this out in your bike sessions as you go along?

Sorry for all of the questions but I keep thinking of things. Hope everyone has a great Friday and also a great weekend.

Eric

2018-01-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by EHouse20 Got a 13 min (yea that's what the plan says) run in yesterday. It's been interesting starting this plan since I had been trying to build back up since mid-November. I'm trying to stick to it though and not go over the time limits to start, so that I can gradually work my way up. This is the 16 week Sprint Plan. Any of you guys doing/done this? What would you do after a short run? Jump rope? Abs? I'm planning on getting a short swim in today but have to do it during lunchtime, I figured any swim is better than no swim. Lastly for the day, I have a question about nutrition for a Sprint. I'm guessing most of the nutrition for a shorter race is based on what you take in that week and even the morning of? But do you take in nutrition on the bike for instance in a shorter race? If so, what do you use? And I'm guessing you want to test all of this out in your bike sessions as you go along? Sorry for all of the questions but I keep thinking of things. Hope everyone has a great Friday and also a great weekend. Eric

For a day that just says "13 minutes running" and nothing else, i would do some additional walking or like you said, core work.  I think those 16-week plans assume you're starting pretty much from scratch, so if you have the background you could probably add in the strength and flexibility training.  I would be careful about increasing too fast.  Don't ask me how I know. 

2018-01-19 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Since I missed my run yesterday morning I made up for it with one today. Granted that meant I missed today's short morning bike ride but I do a bit of bike commuting every day (only around a mile) so I'm ok with missing a bike ride here and there.

Regarding nutrition on a sprint, depending on your fitness level you will hear many different things. Many say it's a short enough race that you won't need anything on the course. In the past I have done a gel shot ~10 minutes before the race then sports drink of choice for the bike and run. 

Edited by MOlsen 2018-01-19 11:13 AM
2018-01-19 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in an UGLY 2K SCY swim today.  I woke up at like 3:45 this morning and my legs are toast from earlier workouts this week.

Haven't felt this fatigued from training in quite a while, I suppose that's a good thing??? 

I'm also going to sign up for about a half a dozen cycling races (crits, road races, and a couple of TTs) this spring.  I seriously need to lose some weight.  The "kg" part of my W/kg is awfully high right now. 

2018-01-19 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

For sprint race nutrition...

Week of the race:  maybe some very light focus on carbs, but generally just eat clean and drink lots of water.  With the taper your caloric intake needs will drop anyway.

Night before:  pizza and a salad, and a beer or two (my best race I had wings, too LOL)

Morning of:  Apple, Zone bar (fudge graham) and coffee.  Have no idea why I started the Zone bar thing, but it's worked.  I try to be done eating at least three hours before race start time, so sometimes that makes for an early wake up.

Before race:  sip on a watered-down Gatorade, making sure I don't get stomach-sloshy. (technical term)

During race:  watered-down (like 50%) fruit punch Gatorade (again, no idea why I started with that flavor, but it works and some of those G flavors are just gross...).  I drink this on the bike.  I might grab a water at an aid station on the run.

Post race:  BEER!

2018-01-19 1:36 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
For sprints I do not typically have anything other than some gatorade in transition or one time I tried a gatorade energy chew thing. I don't really find it's necessary though. Most nutrition is sweet and I can't eat sweet stuff when I'm working out so that might be part of it.

My last sprint I ate some overnight oats and a banana for breakfast and that held me over just fine.

Also, never apologize for having questions! That's what we're here for

2018-01-20 1:46 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
AME: Jenn

STORY: I’m now 47.5. Have been doing tris for about 4 years now but did take this past summer off from racing to recover from an injury from the previous season.
I grew up playing a bunch of sports, many of which I coach my kids in now. Played softball in college and coached it for many years after. I kept running shorter distances just to stay in shape..
I had always wanted to try a tri and finally did - started with an Oly as the sprint I had signed up for that year cancelled. I’ve done 4 Oly’s, a few sprints, a few HIM and trained for a full and got hypothermia during the race (horrible conditions that day) - that was summer of 2016.
Great to see so much activity in the group and most are back in training mode!

NAME: Juan

FAMILY STATUS: married to a wonderful runner woman and to kids (16 & 18).

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running with a marathon in mind in April, a bit of swimming once per week and a bit of cycling on sundays (HIM may be in May)

2017 RACES: Iroman Austria (yes!)

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: only signed up for the Madrid marathon in Spain, these past months traveling has bee to intense to be more ambitious.

BEER PREFERENCE: learning from this group to appreciate beer, as I was mainly a wine drinker - and red if I can choose.

WEIGHT LOSS: need to get rid of the 10 pounds I gained after the IM

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: after 4 years with this group, I have been able to appreciate -and hope to contribute- with tips, motivation, accountability...and nutrition (including beer, of course)
2018-01-20 4:49 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

, Vermont
Hi Juan!!! Good to see you again!

I never posted my goals this week but woohoo, I met them! I wanted 2 of each s/b/r and just finished my second run.
It felt so good to be back in a pool too, and though I wasn’t fast, it felt good. Also starting to work on getting my butt callouses back with a couple of 30’ spins. I have one more day and tomorrow I’ll be in Greensboro, NC so I’m hoping to run again or do some strength stuff.

Nicole, i think you mentioned you are looking to become a dietician? I’m finding unique ways to pack my own food for multi-day trips and trying to eat healthy and fairly clean. I never have access to a kitchen but usually have a microwave and refrigerator where I stay. Im always open to tasty suggestions if you have any!! This week I have pita and tabouli and sweet potatoes I’m bringing, along with oranges, a grapefruit, almonds and some bars. Oatmeal, applesauce...etc.

Gretchen, how are you doing?? I’m so sorry about the boot!! Is there any way to immobilize it so you can swim or anything? You are a trooper!
2018-01-21 6:22 PM
in reply to: #5235723

User image

, Vermont
Got in a third 3 mile run this week in NC. I was tired from lack of sleep and a long day at work but it was 66 degrees so I couldn’t pass it up!
2018-01-22 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Saturday I wanted to get a long run in and I did not disappoint myself. Ran from my house to one of my favorite hills for a total of 4 miles on road, 8.5 on trail with 2100 feet of elevation gain. Legs were a bit sore on Sunday so I called it a rest day. This morning my bike commute was a bit longer than usual and I plan on swimming after work. Keep things moving!

Weekly goals are the same:

2 short runs, 2 short bikes, 2 swims, and something big on the weekend (bike or run, maybe both).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 54830 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14086 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363