BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-06-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #805274

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - Full.
Hey everyone. I've had a busy day at work, but my race report is up. I would link to it, but I am too sore to cut, go back, get the link, then restart a reply, then paste..    ok, I'll link it later. For now, you can get there through my log. Hope everyone is doing well. I'll post my week ahead plan tomorrow as well as address some individual things I've been wanting to comment on.

2007-06-05 2:49 AM

Regular
hmm.. this is a bad start for the week since I have already blew off monday's scheduled workout. I hope everyone did better than me. Okay, time to catch some sleep so I can get up early enough to make sure I fulfill tuesday's plan.
2007-06-05 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Sorry, I forgot to put up my schedule. Partly this was due to needing to confer with my husband. Friday is still up in the air.
Monday-Swim 3500
Tuesday-Bike 1:30 on trainer
Wednesday-Run 1:30 easy with some pick ups
Thursday-Rest
Friday-Bike and swim, but not sure which will be when
Saturday-Rest
Sunday-Festival of Flowers Olympic Tri!
2007-06-05 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Very good effort by all on the races over the weekend!

How's everyone's week shaping up so far?
Monday was great for me - 7.2M in only 1min more than it took me to run 6.2M two weeks before and I really enjoyed it.
Tonight was a mix-mash really. Trained went ok but I miss read the rpe on the swim front so instead of doing 8-9, i ended up doing 5-6 maybe 6-7. oh well, still maintained 10mins for 500m so not too bad.

Looks like I'm in London all of next week now so Hell Week is having to be rejiged

Keep up the good work, folks.
2007-06-06 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Hey everyone.. sorry, I have not been manning the post as much as I would want. Busy at work, and fatigued from the weekends race I assume. I had a bizzare night of dreams, and I swear I could make one of them into a hit movie if I could just remember it.

I did get to workout yesterday. Did a short swim and felt good.  I used paddles for the first time, and I can honestly say that they should end up making a huge difference. I will be incorporating them into most workouts now. If you have not tried them, I suggest picking up the right pair for you, and giving it a shot. It can only help to improve your swim, more specifically, your strength.

There is a member of our team who has never been active on this thread and I figured he was not going to participate or whatever.. no big deal. I went to his log, and saw that he was recently injured during a run. If you get some time, get on over there and send him an inspire. I'm sure he is needing it right about now.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=54625#

I am probably going to open this up to some more members as well. I'd like to get a few more people. You guys are great so far, even though we are really just getting started. Post as many questions as you have. I think we have the experience here to cover just about anything..

ok.. my question for all of you. What kind of bike are you riding.. make, model, and year.. and then, more specifically, is it a 10 speed, what are the components, and what is the gearing on your cassette?

I'll start. I ride a 2005 Felt S25 tri bike. It's a Dura Ace 10 speed with an 11/23 rear cassette. I've upgraded a few things on it, the biggest being that I added a profile design carbon wing with integrated Aero bars. Love it. I'm considering changing the cassette to a 12/25 for hilly races, especially IM Moo in September.

ok.. you're up.

Edited by atl_runner 2007-06-06 9:29 AM
2007-06-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: #831895

Regular
I got my 30 min bike work out in yesterday.. and made up part of the workout I missed on Monday.

I couldn't wake up this morning tho, will make sure I get my workout today after work. I also called the place where I took group swimming lesson to try some private lessons, but it seems they don't have enough coaches right now and there is a wait list.. don't know what I'm going to do about that since there's not that's the only swimming facilities around work that I know of.

Just a question, how do you set and plan your training schedule? Do you work on specific things each time you train? I basically just do some random picks and spread out them out evenly throughout the week. I wear a HRM and record the result after each workout, but don't really do much with the info. I don't really pay attention to anything particular when I train either. Is that okay? It just seems a bit ineffective and I dont know if I'm making any progress at all. I want to make sure that I'm at least progressing, because I know I will definitely slowly lose motivation if I don't...

2007-06-06 10:53 AM

Regular
2006 Trek 7.2 FX

It's a hybrid. Since I know nothing about bikes, I will post the specs I found on their website:

Frameset
Sizes 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25"; Women's 15, 17, 20"
Frame Alpha SL Aluminum
Fork High tensile steel w/lowrider mounts, straight blades
Wheels
Wheels Alloy front, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Matrix 750 rims
Tires Bontrager Invert Puncture Resistant, 700x35c
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano EF50, 8 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano C102
Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Crank Shimano TX71 48/38/28 w/chainguard
Cassette SRAM PG830 11-32, 8 speed
Pedals Nylon platform w/alloy cage
Components
Saddle Bontrager Sport (women's: Bontrager Select FIT)
Seat Post Alloy adjustable suspension
Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport
Stem Alloy Aheadset, adjustable rise
Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers

I got the bike two days before the LA Marathon last year because I decided that I want to participate in the bike ride and someone stole my target bike.

2007-06-06 11:58 AM

Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - 2 spots open

Replying to a message by PeterAK on 2007-06-06

Dave!!!  How did your knee get injured?  Let us know how your MRI went this morning.

Not sure of the initial injury...it just started hurting at work one night about 2 weeks ago.  I didn't do any running the whole next week because of it, just biking and swimming.  I kept icing it, even at work.  It felt OK on Sunday so I thought I'd do a 5K for actual time and not just on my Garmin.  The rest is in my race report.  Just got back from the MRI - the results won't be ready for a few hours and the orthopedic surgeon is in surgery right now, so I don't know what they found yet.  I have a follow up on Monday morning to discuss further actions if neceassary.  The theory is I had a small miniscus tear and the race must have made it worse.  

2007-06-06 12:06 PM

atl_runner - 2007-06-06 9:26 AM

ok.. my question for all of you. What kind of bike are you riding.. make, model, and year.. and then, more specifically, is it a 10 speed, what are the components, and what is the gearing on your cassette?

The bike I have right now is a 2005 Trek 3900 mountain bike, standard issue.  I couldn't tell you all the components on it right now, but you folks that know more about bikes than I do can probably figure it out.  I made a change recently.  A friend of mine at work had some racing slicks he was trying to get rid of so he gave them to me for free.  I put them on and they made a noticable difference! 

2007-06-06 12:15 PM

User image

Expert

Triornot - I'd suggest picking up a copy of "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It's a fantastic reference material and does a great job of explaining training cycles and specific purposes for training workouts.

I have been using the training programs here on BT though. I think the plans authored by Mike Ricci and AJ are very good. They largely follow the principles taught by Friel.

As for heart rate training and trying to measure your improvement, doing an LT test every couple months is a great measuring tool and you can use the results to be sure that you're training at the right intensity. Here is an articles from Mike Ricci (coach from D3 Sports) about LT Testing that may be helpful:

Disclaimer: I'm no coach and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, so it's definitely best to listen most to the people who know what they're really talking about. ie-Mike Ricci, Joe Friel and USAT coaches (hint, hint).

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-06-06 12:18 PM
2007-06-06 12:25 PM

User image

Expert

What am I riding?

I've been riding a Felt S32 w/ 105 components for the past two years.  The only thing I've changed is the seat which is now a Profile Design Tri-Stryke.

If anyone is considering buying a tri-bike, this is definitely one to consider.  I bought it new at roughly $1100, but you could certainly pick one up used for around 800.  Until I bought this bike, I was riding a Giant mountain bike w/ smooth tires.  The difference between the two bikes is enormous!!

2007-06-06 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
A few more people can only mean more good advice and experience I think!

I started out last year on a used Giant road bike with aerobars and liked it fine. For my 40th birthday, I talked my husband into getting me a Cervelo P2SL with Ultegra components instead of Dura Ace, but upgraded with a carbon seat post. It is a 12/25 cassette. I really know very little about bikes. I love this bike so far, although my time on the road on it has been limited. I think it is the next best thing you can get without going all carbon.
2007-06-06 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Nice.. those are two very good bikes. The Felt and the Cervelo. I'm guessing that the S32 has an 11/23 as well. If the area is rolling to flat, that's what I would stick with. 

I also second the suggestion TriForrestTri made and look at some S32's. There has got to be a few out there for resale as people who want to upgrade start doing so. If you are currently on a mountain bike.. or a hybrid, then I absolutely suggest looking into a road or tri bike. Of course, money is a factor, but these particular bikes (Felt S32) can be had for less than 1k about now.. 2005 versions anyway.  Newer versions for about 1200 to 1400. It will be the single biggest thing you can do to drop time in races.

In the end though, a bike with 2 wheels is all you need to do this, and we have what we have.. just about anything will suffice, so please do not look at this as knocking anything.. it's all just suggestions, for now, or the future.

2007-06-06 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Ooooh, I am turning into a bike geek so this is a fun discussion.  I split my time between two bikes.  Usually rides of an hour or less are on the road bike, over an hour is on the tri bike.  Really like being able to change it up.  Speedplay X-5's on both bikes.

Road:
2006 Felt F65.  Stock with full Ultegra drive train.  Stem changed for fit purposes.  Felt web site says drive train is 50/34 and 11/23, but I know the cassette is bigger, I think 12/26.  Cheapie computer with cadence.  Got a screaming deal on this bike as new old stock at a bike expo this spring.

Tri:
2006 Trek Equinox 9.  Stock with full Ultegra drive train and brakes and Dura Ace shift levers.  53/39 and 11/25.  When I bought it my mechanic modified the cassette to give me the 11 instead of 12 (which I think was a great move).  Considering going to a 27 for Moo, but going to ride the course a bit more before making that call.  I'll be due for a new chain and cassette before then anyway.  Aero Drink with shower poofie (very important) and two cages on the frame.  Profile Designs two bottle behind the seat holder is on it's way via Fed Ex (I plan to carry all of my nutrition at IMMoo).  Double wireless Cateye computer.  Pair of Hed3's and a disk (haven't ridden the disk yet), all clinchers, Michelin Pro2 Race tires.

Did I miss anything?

2007-06-06 3:35 PM

Regular
since we're talking about bikes.. I have a stupid question... I took my bike into the bike shop couple weeks ago for the guy to look at. He said that everything's fine and I just need to lube the chain. He recommended the White Lightening brand which I bought. When I got home and looked at the instruction on what to do.. it said on the bottle that I'm supposed to degrease the chain before applying the lube. Is there a special bike degreaser that I need to buy? or can i just use palmolive from the kitchen to clean the chain?
2007-06-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #832316

Regular
TriForrestTri, Thanks for the suggestion on the book.. I'll have the check it out..

I picked up this book recently: The 12-Week Triathlete: Train for a Triathlon in Just Three Months. Any one have any experience with it? it has some training plan in there too.. it's time-based... was going give it a try.. but i guess i should check out the training bible first before deciding on which plan to go with...

2007-06-06 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
To degrease, .. well, this is what I do, I spray down with simple green, scrub with an old tooth brush, rinse clean, then re lube right away. That's it. Works every time.
2007-06-06 4:12 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I've read mixed results with Simple Green though it is super cost effective...  On recommendation of my mechanic I bought a connex link so I can take the chain off.  Put it in a bottle with some Pedro's Citrus Degreaser, shake, let sit, repeat a few times.  Rinse under warm water, put on top of the water heater exhaust pipe to dry overnight, then lube each link with Pedro's Road Rage lube and wipe exess before reinstalling.  I have had good luck with White Lightening lube on my mountain bike.

If you don't have other degreasers handy, you could use WD-40.  It is a good cleaner, but not at all a lubricant.  Just spray some on a rag, drag the chain through it on the bike, use the cloth to clean the gears and make sure to get the gears on your derailer nice and clean.  Wipe the chain off well with a clean rag, relube each joint with the White Lightening.  Allow it to sit for a while and wipe off the excess before you go ride again!

2007-06-06 7:55 PM

PeterAK

I noticed you were in the Milwaukee area also.  Any suggestions on places to go that sell used bikes?  I'd love to have a road or tri bike but don't want to spend a whole lot right now.  I've been to Emery's in Menomonee Falls, the Wheel and Sprocket in Brookfield and the 2 bike shops in West Bend, Pedal Morraine and Mountain Outfitters.  I really liked the bikes at Emery's and they were really helpfull and nice.  Thanks!

2007-06-06 8:46 PM
in reply to: #833197

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Dave--I don't know of any shops around here that sell used.  When I started getting into this a few years ago I watched eBay and Craigs List until I found what I wanted--a low mileage, ten year old Trek 1420 for $230.  Had it tuned up and clip on bars put on it, used it for one season and then bought my tri bike last May after deciding I was completely hooked after doing the Wildflower Olympic.  Also, Tri Wisconsin has a great e-mail list where people frequently post bikes for sale or wanted, I suggest trying there, as you may get one that's already set up for tris.  Learn more and sign up here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/triwisconsin/

Do you know what size are you looking for?

2007-06-07 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
My first bike was off e-bay too. You just have to have time and be patient to look for the right one to come up. By watching for a while, you can also find out what a good price is for what you want. By spending less on a good used bike, you can then spend money to get a good fit done or to upgrade some parts.

2007-06-07 8:25 AM

User image

Master

Road bike: 2006 Raliegh SuperCourse (size 57).  Compact crank 50/36 and 12-27 on the rear.  105 and Ultegra.

Tri bike: 2006 Quintana Roo Calienta (size M).  53/39 and 12/25 (or maybe 12/23) on the rear.  Ultegra and DuraAce. 

Mountain Bike: GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc (size M). 

If I had it do to all over again, I would not have gone carbon on the tri bike.  I would have picked up a high end al framed bike (maybe a Felt s22). 

2007-06-07 8:40 AM
in reply to: #833322

I'm not sure what size exactly.  I'm 6'0" so most of the manufacturers' sites seem to suggest anywhere from 58 - 59 cm or so.  I continue to search ebay and start druling over some of the bikes there.  Thanks for the info guys!
2007-06-07 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Be careful with sizing.. I'm one inch shorter at 5'11, and I ride a 54cm felt frame. A lot has to do with how long your legs are.. mine are shorter (31) vs how long your torso is.. mine is longer..  What I would do is head over to a good bike show and have them tell you what size bike would be best for you.. You're not getting fit per se, just a few quick measurements, and they can suggest the size that's best. Only after you select a bike to buy, would you get a in depth fit. Your range at 6'0, would be from 54 low end to 60, extreme high end.. more than likely, a 56 or 58.. but there is no way to know exactly until you get measured.
2007-06-07 1:28 PM

I see a lot of deals on motobecane, windsor, and mercier bikes on bikesdirect.com.  I've never heard of these brands before.  Are they like "department store" bikes or better than that?  Just curious, want to explore all options before plopping down any money on a bike.  Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  

of 15