BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-14 5:06 AM
in reply to: #1101122

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed
milaminute - 2007-12-13 8:37 PM

givemashot - 2007-12-13 8:19 PM I have a question. I haven't upgraded my membership yet, and when I look at the training plans that are available to me now, it seems like I'm already several weeks or months into the training, but the progression is either too slow from there, or too fast. I can't make it to the gym more than a couple times a week this month, and I probably won't be able to make it on most if not all weekends anyways. Any ideas how I can modify the plans for me, or add in the RPE or HR to the plans that go by minutes of exercise rather than distance?

You can certainly modify the plans to make them work for you.  I think you will find that a silver membership is helpful because it includes training minutes, training specifics (like drills) and also HR training info.   You can then look through the options and find the one that best meets your needs (or modify to meet your needs).

OK, so you can't get to the gym... that means swimming is the tough one to get done.  Can you run outside?  Do you have a trainer that you can use to get your rides in?  That would be a great investment for you.  I'm sure I already mentioned it but I like my trainer because it's the only way I get to watch t.v. ever!

For me, scheduling is tough and I had to have my arm twisted many times to upload my plan into my blog because my compulsive nature wasn't too keen on seeing that on this and such a date I was supposed to do X, Y, and Z but Exhibit A had a concert that day and my other kid was sick so I did a whole lotta nothing.  However, I have come to embrace it (but please do NOT tell Sal... also, don't tell him that I still don't have a lap counter on my watch, I'm hoping he gets me one for Christmas though).  I have found that I can usually juggle the workouts around my schedule enough to git'r'done and I'm trying to learn to forgive myself when I can't.  You are not going to lose a huge amount of fitness over a few missed workouts.  I do often train early in the morning and sometimes later at night than I'd like to... but I think that just comes with the territory and you'll see that the beginner plans are very reasonable in terms of the time committment.

Mila, that's what the clappy hands were for...to count your laps in the pool...there are 15 fingers on that thing...

2007-12-14 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1099622

Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Open
milaminute - 2007-12-13 9:45 AM

ferdinand magellan - 2007-12-13 10:24 AM Sal & Mila (and everyone else), Thanks for the encouragement, I am PUMPED about doing a triathlon! I actually just picked up the TI book a couple weeks ago and have been learning. Looking forward to some good-natured banter, tips, and hearing about how everyone's faring in their preparations for their events! BTW, I'm a Steeler fan living in Baltimore Raven territory... I grew up in Butler, PA... near Erie! Ferd

Oh dear.  Ohhhh dear. 

Fortunately for you I prefer college football.  Fear the turtle, hon .  Say, Ferd... did you want to send me some Old Bay potato chips and Berger cookies for Christmas? 

Ha, that's where I got you.... as far as collegiate sports go, I'm a Terps fan!
Okay, I'm off to lift some weights and hit the treadmill, whoo hoo!
2007-12-14 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
You people sure are quiet today... are you up to no good?
2007-12-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1101995

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
ferdinand magellan - 2007-12-14 12:56 PM
milaminute - 2007-12-13 9:45 AM

ferdinand magellan - 2007-12-13 10:24 AM Sal & Mila (and everyone else), Thanks for the encouragement, I am PUMPED about doing a triathlon! I actually just picked up the TI book a couple weeks ago and have been learning. Looking forward to some good-natured banter, tips, and hearing about how everyone's faring in their preparations for their events! BTW, I'm a Steeler fan living in Baltimore Raven territory... I grew up in Butler, PA... near Erie! Ferd

Oh dear.  Ohhhh dear. 

Fortunately for you I prefer college football.  Fear the turtle, hon .  Say, Ferd... did you want to send me some Old Bay potato chips and Berger cookies for Christmas? 

Ha, that's where I got you.... as far as collegiate sports go, I'm a Terps fan! Okay, I'm off to lift some weights and hit the treadmill, whoo hoo!

Sounds like my day... well, sort of... but you have to throw in not going to bed until 2 a.m., a toddler with a  head injury, a tiny personal trainer and evaluating a spin instructor at the opposite end of the earth.  OK, so our days weren't really all that similar but I did lift weights and run on a treadmill...

Ferd... I grew up in Bethesda, did my undergrad at UMCP and went to grad school at Hopkins.  It's a good thing you're a Terps fan .

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2007-12-14 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1101410

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-14 6:04 AM

(I answer every question Mila has...it's a requirement)

I'm glad you understand...

Gonna try and catch up on the swim I missed yesterday.  It's like the movie 'Groundhog Day.'  My day will be exactly the same as yesterday.  Update pre-trial documents.  Meetings all day. 

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

LOL!  I hope you get your swim in Sal.  Not so much for me.  It's been a long day with Exhibit C but I did get to play with the trainer this morning.  Who wants to know what I learned???

I see you are all raising your hands and saying "ooohhh ohhhhh" a la Arnold Horshack.  I won't bore you with the details but I'm a data geek so knowing things like my basal metabolic rate and my caloric burn rate and ratio of fat:sugar burned in each zone is exciting to me.   Yes, I realize I need to get a life... what of it??? 

2007-12-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1101037

User image

Regular
Kentucky

Hi Craig. I trained for my 1st marathon using a program from Runner's World. Here's a program for a 10K. It's 3 times running per week, with an optional 4th day. Let me know what you think. How far out is your race?

That looks good thanks!  I have no race scheduled yet. I just want to be able to do it :-

2007-12-14 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1101066

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

givemashot - 2007-12-13 8:54 PM So do you think I'd be able to stay on track (read: injury free) to do a sprint tri over memorial day weekend 2008? My local tri club is hosting one 5/31/08 that is a 400 yard (pool) swim, 11 mile bike, and 5 k run. The pool swim sounds better to me than an OWS, plus its only 400 yards. What do you guys think?

Definately, you'll rock it. 

2007-12-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1100862

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

You can try throwing in some walk breaks before you get tired/bored to break up the monotony.  Using the mind tricks work too.  Like run for just one more song (pick one that energizes you), or run to the next (insert landmark of your choice here), or pick a course where you can't cut back and go home.  Good luck!

redlv - 2007-12-13 6:40 PM  One of my biggest issues I noticed, is that I tend to talk myself out of running. For ex. last night, I planned to do 3 miles, but by the time I got to 1.5 I was like "ok, I'm done." I know I should be building base, burning calories etc but my mind seems to be in control.

Edited by gygyhawk 2007-12-14 2:17 PM
2007-12-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1102323

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
gygyhawk - 2007-12-14 3:15 PM

Like run for just one more song (pick one that energizes you

I do that all the time!  Sometimes it's the same song over and over again, even.

2007-12-14 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
When you do your long runs or even mid week runs that aren't speed related, are you mostly in z2 or z 3?

Last year I did a lot of Maffetone type training, and it paid off pretty well. But by doing spin class and hilly bike rides, I have violated his rules about going over my target heart rate.

I notice Friel does zone 2 an 3 stuff, which would let me train faster at a higher heart rate. Don't know if I will improve faster that way.

Thanks,

Cash
2007-12-14 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1101410

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Sparco,

hmmmm. . . flip / flops or sandals maybe . . dunno about booties!

Big Rest day to day, 17 mile run tomorrow! Gasparilla is just 8 weeks away!

Corey

2007-12-14 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1102786

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Lwoodtri - 2007-12-14 7:37 PM Sparco, hmmmm. . . flip / flops or sandals maybe . . dunno about booties! Big Rest day to day, 17 mile run tomorrow! Gasparilla is just 8 weeks away! Corey

Heh .  Yes, I myself was wearing flip flops most of the day today.  Yikes... good luck with that run tomorrow!  Let us know how it goes.  I've heard Gasparilla is a great race. 

2007-12-14 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1102742

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-14 6:53 PM When you do your long runs or even mid week runs that aren't speed related, are you mostly in z2 or z 3? Last year I did a lot of Maffetone type training, and it paid off pretty well. But by doing spin class and hilly bike rides, I have violated his rules about going over my target heart rate. I notice Friel does zone 2 an 3 stuff, which would let me train faster at a higher heart rate. Don't know if I will improve faster that way. Thanks, Cash

Hey Cash!

I personally don't believe you will improve faster by training at a higher heart rate more frequently than your plan calls for.  I usually recommend an 80/20 approach to cardio training (80% of the time you are in Zones 1-3 and 20% above).  That time in Zone 2 is really important and, despite the fact that it seems counterintuitive, it will ultimately make you faster. 

Basically, the thinking is this:  in order to be as fit as possible you want to increase the size of your zones 2 and 3 (build your base).  It is here that your body burns primarily fat for fuel and where you are most comfortable physically in your training.  By increasing the range in these zones, you push up your anaerobic threshold... meaning where once you used to go breathless at 170 bpm, as you get fitter, that number will push up so you'll be able to go faster, longer with less effort.

Anyone have a differing opinion or other thoughts to add?  I love all this heart rate zone discussion!  It almost warms my cold little heart...

2007-12-15 6:25 AM

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana

Hello everyone!!! Hope all is well.  I finally have the time to tell you all a little about myself.  Here it goes:

Name: jjcraig / Jim

Story: Much like some folks in this group I was a competitive swimmer from the time I was 9 years old till about 19.  If you saw me swim today (freestyle anyway, my free sucks) you wouldn’t believe I swam in High School and 1 year at the Coast Guard Academy.  I was/am a butterflier.  This might sound impressive but considering where I went to High School it’s really not, I finished 7th in the state of Oklahoma my senior year in the 100-yd Butterfly.  I did some triathlons in the early 90’s but nothing too serious (yes I’m an old guy).  Since swimming is a ‘chore’ for me (I guess I still remember those 5:30 a.m. practices) I have a hard time getting motivated to swim.  I have run 3 Chicago Marathons in recent years.  I enjoy running more than the biking or swimming.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.  Wife’s name is Peggy.  Kids are 11 and 14.  The oldest is my beautiful girl and the youngest is my wild man.  Kids are in a variety of activities.  Oldest—gymnastics, music, art.  Youngest—soccer, baseball, basketball, football (any sport just about)

Current training: I’ve been ‘training’ fairly hard the last 3 months or so.  Was ill last week but I’ve had a good week so far this week.  I signed up for the December Swim Challenge @ 15,000-yds even though I haven’t swam in over a year. GO SNOWBALLERS!!!  I’ve purchased, noticed I said purchased and not read yet, Joel Friel’s. The Triathlete’s Training Bible and looking to set up a 2008 Training Plan.

2008 race schedule: I plan to schedule a race a month for 2008.  Have registered for a few. The races I’m most looking forward to is the Arnold’s Pump and Run and the Flying Pig ½ Marathon Pump and Run.  Hope to do at least a ½ Ironman. 

What I hope to get out of being apart of the group? To learn all I can from sal/mila and the group about how to train and race.  Motivation---to motivate and to be motivated when things don’t quite right.  Meet new people and have fun!

2007-12-15 7:01 AM
in reply to: #1103534

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
JJCraig - 2007-12-15 7:25 AM

Hello everyone!!! Hope all is well.  I finally have the time to tell you all a little about myself.  Here it goes:

Story: Much like some folks in this group I was a competitive swimmer from the time I was 9 years old till about 19.  If you saw me swim today (freestyle anyway, my free sucks) you wouldn’t believe I swam in High School and 1 year at the Coast Guard Academy.  I was/am a butterflier.  This might sound impressive but considering where I went to High School it’s really not, I finished 7th in the state of Oklahoma my senior year in the 100-yd Butterfly.  I did some triathlons in the early 90’s but nothing too serious (yes I’m an old guy).  Since swimming is a ‘chore’ for me (I guess I still remember those 5:30 a.m. practices) I have a hard time getting motivated to swim.  I have run 3 Chicago Marathons in recent years.  I enjoy running more than the biking or swimming.

Family Status: Married with 2 kids.  Wife’s name is Peggy.  Kids are 11 and 14.  The oldest is my beautiful girl and the youngest is my wild man.  Kids are in a variety of activities.  Oldest—gymnastics, music, art.  Youngest—soccer, baseball, basketball, football (any sport just about)

Current training: I’ve been ‘training’ fairly hard the last 3 months or so.  Was ill last week but I’ve had a good week so far this week.  I signed up for the December Swim Challenge @ 15,000-yds even though I haven’t swam in over a year. GO SNOWBALLERS!!!  I’ve purchased, noticed I said purchased and not read yet, Joel Friel’s. The Triathlete’s Training Bible and looking to set up a 2008 Training Plan.

2008 race schedule: I plan to schedule a race a month for 2008.  Have registered for a few. The races I’m most looking forward to is the Arnold’s Pump and Run and the Flying Pig ½ Marathon Pump and Run.  Hope to do at least a ½ Ironman. 

What I hope to get out of being apart of the group? To learn all I can from sal/mila and the group about how to train and race.  Motivation---to motivate and to be motivated when things don’t quite right.  Meet new people and have fun!

Wow, Jim... you have a lot of really good experience and I think the race a month is cool, especially since it seems like there are so many running races around these days!

Sounds like your evenings and weekends might be spent the way mine are... taxi-ing kids to various activities at various locations which, at least in my case, are never close to each other .

Glad you're feeling better.  You should really try to stay out of the pool since I'm on an opposing challenge team.  Good luck with the swim challenge!

2007-12-15 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1103534

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
JJCraig - 2007-12-15 6:25 AM

we can never have too many ex-swimmers on this site

2007-12-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1103577

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Noz - 2007-12-15 8:17 AM

x2!

Edited by lastcall2003 2007-12-15 11:53 AM
2007-12-15 1:06 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas

Greetings everyone,

Here's my question for today here is my tentive race schedule for 2008 I doing a full load this season and trying to get input on training wise and plans that i should use since i going one more season before hiring a coach. 

2008 RACE SCHEDULE
06 Jan Stick n back super sprint Tri (C)
02 Mar UOG Criterium Road Race (C)
29 Mar Xterra Guam (C)
20 Apr GTF Summer Sprint Series Race #1 (B)
18 May GTF Summer Sprint Series Race #2 (B)
08 Jun GTF Summer Sprint Series Race #3 (B)

06 Jul Olympic No Frills Tri Race (A)
12 Oct Jeff's Pirates Cove to Cove Road Race (B)
09 Nov PIC Guam Half Marathon (A

I thinking I want to Focus on xterra Guam the first 3rd of my season. since it  going to be my first crack at an xterra race. the 2nd 3rd focus on the olympic and use the sprint series as tuned ups towards the olympic. then first my season focusing on the half marathon and if I feeling good make it a full. what does everyone think about this thought process. 

Edited by pilotncommand172 2007-12-15 1:07 PM
2007-12-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1103577

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Noz - 2007-12-15 9:17 AM

Or chemists...

2007-12-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1103749

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-15 1:06 PM

Greetings everyone,

Here's my question for today here is my tentive race schedule for 2008 I doing a full load this season and trying to get input on training wise and plans that i should use since i going one more season before hiring a coach. 

2008 RACE SCHEDULE
29 Mar Xterra Guam (C)

I thinking I want to Focus on xterra Guam the first 3rd of my season. since it  going to be my first crack at an xterra race. the 2nd 3rd focus on the olympic and use the sprint series as tuned ups towards the olympic. then first my season focusing on the half marathon and if I feeling good make it a full. what does everyone think about this thought process. 

JC, my opinion...you're right on...

Concentrate on your A races, so train for your Xterra (what's the distance?), training for your Olympic will start mid-April which will cover your 3 sprint series races, then your half mary training will overlap into your Olympic tri training a bit, most likely starting late June.  Don't worry too much about your smaller races.  You're right, treat them as training, everything will fall right into place.

Mainly concentrate on staying injury free before your Xterra, Olympic and half mary...

2007-12-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1103749

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-15 2:06 PM

Greetings everyone,

2008 RACE SCHEDULE
29 Mar Xterra Guam (C)

I think your logic and approach makes sense but I'm getting caught up in your designation of A, B and C races... to me it sounds like the Xterra is more like a B or A race if you'll be focusing on it for a third of your season and that the sprint series is really just a bunch of glorifed training days (GTDs).  It's not really important as long as it's clear to you but I guess I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly that your main objective is to be doing an Oly training plan once you get through Xterra... in which case I think it sounds solid.

How are you going about training for the Xterra?  BTW, I think Xterras rock...

2007-12-15 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1103869

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-15 3:10 PM

Or chemists...

I respectfully disagree...have you ever been with a room full of geeky chemists?  I imagine Noz already has a pic in his library to address this comment...

2007-12-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1103878

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-15 4:21 PM
milaminute - 2007-12-15 3:10 PM

Or chemists...

I respectfully disagree...have you ever been with a room full of geeky chemists?  I imagine Noz already has a pic in his library to address this comment...

Yeah, but just think of all the big words they could throw around for me .

Tonight I'll get to be around people talking corp. comm, marketing and PR.  Oh sure, they're well spoken but they never shut up.  However, I'll be wearing a sassy outfit with really high heels and drinking wine so I won't care all that much.

2007-12-15 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Workout done for the day...9 mile run outside in balmy -11F weather...

I'm glad I didn't have an open water swim on my schedule this morning...

2007-12-15 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1103882

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-15 4:24 PM

Workout done for the day...9 mile run outside in balmy -11F weather...

I'm glad I didn't have an open water swim on my schedule this morning...

I think you should add one.  You haven't worn your wetsuit in awhile.  Be sure to take pics .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55